PDA

View Full Version : The Reds SORELY miss Encarnacion at third base.

EKURed
06-19-2006, 06:43 PM
I think the Reds SORELY miss Encarnacion at third base. For all the talk of his shoddy defense and how the Reds have depth at the position, the drop-off since his injury has been noticeable. I just think his bat is a potent part of the lineup that is absent right now. I'm assuming he will be back as soon as he is eligible to come off the DL. Any updates?

westofyou
06-19-2006, 06:45 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5210

The Reds haven't really missed Edwin Encarnacion, but they hope he hurries up and gets back anyway. The ankle injury that put him on the DL is well enough to send him to Louisville sometime later this week, and his return could be accelerated depending on the severity of Rich Aurilia's shoulder injury. Ryan Freel serves as a roster multiplier, making short-term needs less of a concern for the still-contending Reds. Encarnacion has been the best option at third, performing almost exactly in line with expectations. He shouldn't have any residual problems once he returns from the DL.

EKURed
06-19-2006, 06:47 PM
"They haven't really missed him...."

Really????

By the way, thanks for digging that information up for me.

TeamBoone
06-19-2006, 07:31 PM
I agree with you EKU. He's sorely missed.

Who wrote that article blurb anyway? I didn't like this statement either.... "Encarnacion has been the best option at third, performing almost exactly in line with expectations."

I still say he gets to more balls than anyone else who's tried third base on this team, and that's what contributes to his errors. If he wasn't getting to those balls (like Aurilia and Freel don't), he wouldn't be making errors.

That said, it's apparent to me that the writer is talking about defense (though he doesn't take the time to say so), without considering his offense. The Reds definitely miss his bat.

What worries me the most is that I get this crampy feeling that Narron agrees with this writer.

Matt700wlw
06-19-2006, 07:34 PM
I think the Reds SORELY miss Encarnacion at third base. For all the talk of his shoddy defense and how the Reds have depth at the position, the drop-off since his injury has been noticeable. I just think his bat is a potent part of the lineup that is absent right now. I'm assuming he will be back as soon as he is eligible to come off the DL. Any updates?

I don't think it's "shoddy defense" per se....it's more like hurried and inaccurate throws -- so it's half of his defense.....which I think is fixable. It's probably lack of concentration more than anything.

His glove work is great.

westofyou
06-19-2006, 07:35 PM
That said, it's apparent to me that the writer is talking about defense (though he doesn't take the time to say so), without considering his offense. The Reds definitely miss his bat.The writer (Will Carroll) is a injury analyst , when talking about "expectations" he's talking the complete package, living up to expectations at his age is darn good. I'll venture that both Narron and Carroll are pleaased with E.E.'s progress.

Phhhl
06-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Well, I think coming to the conclusion that the Reds don't miss him is wildly off target. I mean, the club has been struggling since the injury. Certainly, it has been a multitude of things. But, Edwin being out is one. Why even inlcude such a comment when it is entirely untrue?

reds44
06-19-2006, 08:08 PM
We are 1-8 with out since he went on the DL. We miss him.

Marc thinks he will go on rehab this weekend, and be back for the Royals series.

EKURed
06-19-2006, 08:49 PM
I don't think it's "shoddy defense" per se....it's more like hurried and inaccurate throws -- so it's half of his defense.....which I think is fixable. It's probably lack of concentration more than anything.

His glove work is great.

Oh I agree with you. I think his errors come due to youth and inexperience. But, I will deal with that with the bat he brings to the plate.

Matt700wlw
06-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Oh I agree with you. I think his errors come due to youth and inexperience. But, I will deal with that with the bat he brings to the plate.

...and the experience.

People have to remember, he's only 22 or something.

edabbs44
06-19-2006, 09:53 PM
We are 1-8 with out since he went on the DL. We miss him.

Marc thinks he will go on rehab this weekend, and be back for the Royals series.
The staff let up 59 runs in those 8 losses. Of course he is better than what has replaced him, but losing him has not been the #1 problem since he went down.

tripleaaaron
06-19-2006, 11:31 PM
We do miss Edwin very much, and as a person with all of my initials being the same (A for those who aren't as quick) I miss him even more, Since he doesn't seem to have a middle name I will deem him Edwin "we need you Everyday" Encarnacion, as we have definately slid down since his departure, I know the slide isn't just because of him, we did just play the best team in baseball and our bullpen is terrible, but please come back, pppplease.

Chip R
06-19-2006, 11:35 PM
...and the experience.

People have to remember, he's only 22 or something.

You might do well to remind some people about that, Matt.

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 12:33 AM
You might do well to remind some people about that, Matt.
:clap:

Ron Madden
06-20-2006, 02:42 AM
I can recall the Reds going into a slump after Rithie strained a Hammy in Colorado. Everyday on the pre game show Marty would tell Jerry just how much the club missed him and Narron would agree.

The beat writers and local talk show host caught on to the tune, soon fans through out Reds Country were singing along. Ritch Aurillia all of a sudden became the MVP of the club we can't win without him.

We never hear Edwins name during Martys pre game chat with Narron. So EE is almost forgotten on sports talk radio or the local press.

I think it's sad. :(

It's sad that a kid with Edwins talent gets so little respect for all that he does well.. and so much grief for the few things he is still learning. :(

KronoRed
06-20-2006, 02:46 AM
EE is a kid, in this town you aren't a "true" player until you're past 30 apparently ;)