PDA

View Full Version : PTI: Cardinals, that one team and the Astros

Razor Shines
06-23-2006, 05:46 PM
Watching PTI and they're talking about the central and haven't mentioned the Reds. Quote: "The Astros are 6 back of the Cards and a couple back of the Wild Card (The Reds)." I realize the Reds haven't done much to earn respect but they are still in 2nd place. I'm sure it's been discussed but it kinda seems silly.

Redhook
06-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Silly, it is not. It's easy to be overlooked for a couple of reasons:
1) Until we prove otherwise, we are expected to fade.
2) Pujols and Clemens just came back, on the same day. That's big news. What are we going to counter with? Matt Belisle? Maybe if Paul Wilson ever returned we would get the first story on Sportscenter. ;)

I really have no problem not getting national recognition. I'd rather lay low all year and get the recognition when we're in the playoffs.

Razor Shines
06-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Silly, it is not. It's easy to be overlooked for a couple of reasons:
1) Until we prove otherwise, we are expected to fade.
2) Pujols and Clemens just came back, on the same day. That's big news. What are we going to counter with? Matt Belisle? Maybe if Paul Wilson ever returned we would get the first story on Sportscenter. ;)

I really have no problem not getting national recognition. I'd rather lay low all year and get the recognition when we're in the playoffs.
I said almost exactly this. And I wasn't saying anything about the Reds being the first story on Sportscenter or on any show, but a casual fan watching the program would have thought the Astros were in 2nd place. I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, it was just funny to me.

KronoRed
06-23-2006, 07:03 PM
I think they like to make fun of the Reds ;)

reds44
06-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Mariotti did the same thing on Around the Horn yesterday.

reds1869
06-23-2006, 07:28 PM
I find it hard to take anything coming out of Bristol too seriously.

TeamBoone
06-23-2006, 07:35 PM
I find it hard to take anything coming out of Bristol too seriously.

Unfortunately, a whole lot of other people don't feel that way or it would no longer be on the air.

I too find it demeaning as the current, most up-to-date news in the NL Central standings is that the Reds are in second place, regardless of where they feel they will end up. Currently, they are also first in the WC race.

Could it be they don't want to spark public interest in the Reds so they just ignore what they've done so far? God forbid the general sports public be informed as to how well they have done to date. They might want them to broadcast a few more of their games and, of course, we all know they're not on the schedule!

reds44
06-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Steve Phillips actually said the Reds would make the playoffs on Mike and Mike on Monday. I know it doesn't mean anything, but still good to hear.

Jr's Boy
06-24-2006, 02:19 AM
Let em keep running their traps,it's better being the underdogs.