PDA

View Full Version : Great blurb from Krivsky tonight...

SirFelixCat
06-29-2006, 03:15 AM
I work nights, so I TiVo all the games and watch them when I get home. Tonight, while enjoying the Reds decisive win, they (George Grande and the other guy filling in for Chris Welsh) had Wayne K. up in the booth for two innings. The talk ran the gamut of topics, but the three things that REALLY stood out to me were:

re: Minor Leagues (stocking them up) "We're trying to do that thru the draft and with Latin American players...there's the Latin America signing period after July 2nd"

re: Homer Bailey - GG said that he thinks he's not going anywhere (ref. to him being traded) and Wayne pipes up with, "No, I don't think so (laughs), and I think he's going to be staying in Chattanooga too, btw, George, just so you know." Then GG says, "So no ticket to Cincinnati yet, eh?" Kriv comes back with, "And Louisville isn't on his itinerary either"

re: Trading Deadline - "I hope to be adding a lot more than subtracting from the team" He also mentioned, regarding extending the contract of Rich Aurillia, " It's a little early for that, but it's something that you're kind of thinking about, for the long range plans, but cause where we are now, my attention is more on the short range, but it's something that crosses your mind. As far as I'm concerned, either side can pick up the phone and call the other one. I'm not opposed to talking in the middle of the year." That last part REALLY stuck out to me, ie, contracts for Harang, Dunn, Lopez etc.:thumbup:

Sorry if this was discussed, but I didn't see anything and I thought it was important to point these things out for those that may have missed it.

OnBaseMachine
06-29-2006, 07:03 AM
So, you can't sign Latin players until after July 2nd? I didn't know that.

Jpup
06-29-2006, 07:14 AM
I work nights, so I TiVo all the games and watch them when I get home. Tonight, while enjoying the Reds decisive win, they (George Grande and the other guy filling in for Chris Welsh) had Wayne K. up in the booth for two innings. The talk ran the gamut of topics, but the three things that REALLY stood out to me were:

re: Minor Leagues (stocking them up) "We're trying to do that thru the draft and with Latin American players...there's the Latin America signing period after July 2nd"

re: Homer Bailey - GG said that he thinks he's not going anywhere (ref. to him being traded) and Wayne pipes up with, "No, I don't think so (laughs), and I think he's going to be staying in Chattanooga too, btw, George, just so you know." Then GG says, "So no ticket to Cincinnati yet, eh?" Kriv comes back with, "And Louisville isn't on his itinerary either"

re: Trading Deadline - "I hope to be adding a lot more than subtracting from the team" He also mentioned, regarding extending the contract of Rich Aurillia, " It's a little early for that, but it's something that you're kind of thinking about, for the long range plans, but cause where we are now, my attention is more on the short range, but it's something that crosses your mind. As far as I'm concerned, either side can pick up the phone and call the other one. I'm not opposed to talking in the middle of the year." That last part REALLY stuck out to me, ie, contracts for Harang, Dunn, Lopez etc.:thumbup:

Sorry if this was discussed, but I didn't see anything and I thought it was important to point these things out for those that may have missed it.

You could tell that Krivsky didn't want to tip his hand. He said that he expected the bullpen to improve their numbers and said that some guys in AAA could help improve the bullpen. OTOH, he said that he's always watching the waiver wire and open to trade, if they make sense.

Grande had to throw in some love for Rich Aurilia, of course. Krivsky sounds like he has some common sense and I hope he does.

RedLegSuperStar
06-29-2006, 07:32 AM
So, you can't sign Latin players until after July 2nd? I didn't know that.

Francisco Pena: C--Dominican Republic: Yankees, Mets, Braves, Reds, Marlins and Nats targeting young Dominican catcher and son of Tony Pena...will become eligible to sign on July 2nd

Jpup
06-29-2006, 07:46 AM
Francisco Pena: C--Dominican Republic: Yankees, Mets, Braves, Reds, Marlins and Nats targeting young Dominican catcher and son of Tony Pena...will become eligible to sign on July 2nd

hmmmm, wonder which he will pick?

OnBaseMachine
06-29-2006, 07:59 AM

Where did you hear this? Nevermind, I found it.

Pursuing Pena

The Marlins met with 16-year-old Dominican catcher Francisco Pena in New York over the weekend.

Pena, the youngest son of Yankees coach Tony Pena, is considered among the top amateurs on the international market. The Yankees, Mets, Nationals and Reds have been the most aggressive. The international signing period opens Sunday. ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-marnotes27jun27,0,5945436.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines

Rotater Cuff
06-29-2006, 11:34 AM
The other thing that Krivsky said that was interesting was that Bailey should be practicing his other pitches when the score gets lopsided. In other words, he needs to develop another good pitch in the minors.

oneupper
06-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Krivsky was also upbeat about Burns, who is much adversed on this board...but who has performed admirably with Louisville.

REDREAD
06-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks for posting this. It will be very interesting to see if the Reds can land some major talent from Latin America. That's something we've been promised since the 1997 rebuild, but has never produced results. I'm hoping Kriv can change that, because we desparately need a talent infusion in the minors.

gonelong
06-29-2006, 10:50 PM
The talk ran the gamut of topics, but the three things that REALLY stood out to me were:

I don't have the game on TiVo anymore, but one thing that stood out to me was when George asked him about the offensive lag and that it looked like they were coming out of it. One of the first thing that Krivsky mentioned was that the team was "taking their walks" again.

Everytime Krivsky gets interviewed I get a little more excited about this Front office.

GL

RFS62
06-29-2006, 10:54 PM
I don't have the game on TiVo anymore, but one thing that stood out to me was when George asked him about the offensive lag and that it looked like they were coming out of it. One of the first thing that Krivsky mentioned was that the team was "taking their walks" again.

Everytime Krivsky gets interviewed I get a little more excited about this Front office.

GL

Yeah, it was great. He said (paraphrasing) "When we are doing well, we are taking walks and hitting to all fields" and "When we go south, we're pulling the ball"

It was a great interview, he is so impressive after a couple of years of Howdy Doody as GM.

gonelong
06-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Yeah, it was great. He said (paraphrasing) "When we are doing well, we are taking walks and hitting to all fields" and "When we go south, we're pulling the ball"

It was a great interview, he is so impressive after a couple of years of Howdy Doody as GM.

Yep, wish I had kept that game and listened to the interview a bit more closely.

I don't agree with everything that Narron and Krivsky are doing, but I do feel like they have us headed in the right direction.

GL

TeamBoone
06-29-2006, 11:36 PM
And to be fair, George was in his element. He does a nice interview and IMHO, asked him a lot of the right questions.

harangatang
06-30-2006, 12:13 AM
And to be fair, George was in his element. He does a nice interview and IMHO, asked him a lot of the right questions.Grande gets a really bad rap alot of times but I'll tell you he has a very pleasant way about him and I think he does a good job especially compared to some of the other FSN announcers. He is very professional when it comes to interviews and I think he does a good job calling games overall. He does show a little too much love for some other teams and a few players but I understand the way the Reds have been the past few years.