PDA

View Full Version : I propose scoring change

TOBTTReds
06-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Bronson Arroyo gets a ^ next to his total victories this year for me, as I have awarded him a victory today.

(4) The winning relief pitcher shall be the one who is the pitcher of record when his team assumes the lead and maintains it to the finish of the game. EXCEPTION: Do not credit a victory to a relief pitcher who is ineffective in a brief appearance, when a succeeding relief pitcher pitches effectively in helping his team maintain the lead. In such cases, credit the succeeding relief pitcher with the victory.

Weathers was obviously ineffective tonight in a brief appearance. I know technically BA can't get the win because the score tied after he left, but I'm ruling this a win as every other pitcher sucked tonight (other than Coffey, who gets the save).

7 ip, 2 r, leaving with 3 run lead = victory today

06-30-2006, 01:27 AM
My wife agrees with you. As I posted in another thread, she was so mad about Weathers getting a win tonight she mentioned writing a letter.

KronoRed
06-30-2006, 01:34 AM
Agreed, and while they are at it, change the save stat

TOBTTReds
06-30-2006, 01:44 AM
The public just puts too much into these numbers that don't really show individual performance.

Marquis? vs. the Reds this year goes 9ip, 1 r, gets the L
Harang had a game this year giving up 5 r or so and gets the W

It is only as important as the public and media makes, which sadly is a lot.

TeamBoone
06-30-2006, 11:24 AM
The public just puts too much into these numbers that don't really show individual performance.

Marquis? vs. the Reds this year goes 9ip, 1 r, gets the L
Harang had a game this year giving up 5 r or so and gets the W

It is only as important as the public and media makes, which sadly is a lot.

Not sure Bronson Arroyo agrees with you:

Right-hander Bronson Arroyo pitched well enough to earn his 10th win of the season, allowing five hits and two runs in seven innings, but after throwing 108 pitches, he felt a little tired. With a 5-2 lead, Narron decided Arroyo had done enough.

"I'd love to have kept him in for nine innings and pitch tomorrow night," Narron said. "Can't do it either way. ... He was tired. He had done his job."

Said Arroyo: "I wasn't out of gas. I've been in worse shape and gone back out there. I didn't feel like I had my best stuff the whole night. With six outs to go and us up by three, I felt like it was enough of a lead. I thought it would work out."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060630/SPT05/606300320/1027

Chip R
06-30-2006, 11:34 AM
If Bronson was dumb enough to really believe that the bullpen could hold a 3 run lead, he didn't deserve to get the win. My guess is that was his attempt at being nice.