PDA

View Full Version : todays Quote from Narron! about the bullpen

redsfan4445
07-03-2006, 12:27 PM
When asked about the bullpen

"This is what we've got," said Narron. "We've just got to get the best out of them. I know they're all capable of getting outs and we'll just do everything we can to make sure we get them in a spot where they can."

this quote makes me think "oh well, we aren't going to get any help.. this is all we got" like.. i hope Krivsky and BOB, dont think this at the deadline!!! the rest of the team will be effected if this continues, becuase you can only come back from bullpen defecits soooooooooo many times where the offense will quit showing up!

CTA513
07-03-2006, 12:33 PM
They have guys in the minors that should be given a chance.
But I dont expect that to happen until the rosters expand.

:thumbdown

smith288
07-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Depends on what question narron is responding to. Easy to take something out of context when i dont know what he is responding to.

redsfan4445
07-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Im sorry.. i will edit it.. its about the bullpen

Fil3232
07-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Narron has proved once again he will not throw players under the bus. I expect and appreciate comments like this, as long as he and Wayne are working behind close doors to remedy the situation.

What a manager tells the media and what he is actually thinking are often two different things. Unless said manager's name is Ozzie something.

jimbo
07-03-2006, 12:58 PM
What's he supposed to say?

Say what you want about Narron, but the guy protects his players. He isn't going to run to the media and actually say what we are thinking, that his bullpen sucks. I'm sure he realizes it also, you're just not going to hear him saying it.

RedsNeck
07-03-2006, 01:12 PM
The problem right now is there are no good answers to questions about the bullpen so Narron has to pull one of the stock cliches' out of a hat. Fact is there is only one legit guy available (Coffey) and even he is better suited to the setup role. Standridge has showed promise, Belise still has potential but the rest of the pen is pure and utter garbage. We know it and he knows it but he can't say it.

crazybob60
07-03-2006, 01:15 PM
I wonder how Piniella would handle this bullpen situation and how he would voice this concern over the lack of effectiveness to the media????

Krusty
07-03-2006, 01:30 PM
The fact is O'Brien and Kullman acquired over the hill relievers in Weathers, Mercker, White and Hammond the past two years when they should be concentrating on acquiring young veterans.

Krivsky has to clean up this mess and find suitable replacements. So far he has kicked White and Hammond to the curb. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Reds give Weathers and Mercker the boot and eat the contracts if Krivsky can acquire two setup men at the July trading deadline.

RedsNeck
07-03-2006, 01:31 PM
I wonder how Piniella would handle this bullpen situation and how he would voice this concern over the lack of effectiveness to the media????

He'd question their manhood then throw down with every one of them all at one time just to prove his point.

CTA513
07-03-2006, 01:32 PM
He'd question their manhood then throw down with every one of them all at one time just to prove his point.

That would be more interesting then watching the bullpen come into a game.

:beerme:

RedsNeck
07-03-2006, 01:36 PM
That would be more interesting then watching the bullpen come into a game.

:beerme:

Yes it is truly sad when an inning without a run crossing the plate is cause for celebration and a 1-2-3 frame is the things of which dreams are made.

flyer85
07-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Narron has proved once again he will not throw players under the bus. which is a good quality. The problem is 1) he really hasn't tried others in the setup role but continues to use the defunct Hammond and Mercker/Weathers. They have failed miserably, give someone else a chance. Maybe they will fail as well but what is there to lose at this point.
2) Narron must have read the closers rulebook that says you can't bring your closer in a tie game in the 8th. So instead Coffey goes the entire series without pitching.

Tommyjohn25
07-03-2006, 02:34 PM
I have no reason to believe that Cast/Kriv won't make the neccessary additions to this club. After the promises Cast has made to the fans the lashback would be of epic proportions if they were not kept. Keep the faith, Narron is throwing out the typical cliches.

Team Clark
07-04-2006, 10:03 AM
They have guys in the minors that should be given a chance.
But I dont expect that to happen until the rosters expand.

:thumbdown

Those guys are already here... :laugh:

RollyInRaleigh
07-04-2006, 10:06 AM
:laugh: :laugh:

RFS62
07-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Man, you guys have been watching "The Apprentice" too much. We love to say "You're fired!!!"

It's not that easy. We don't have a bunch of worthy replacements ready to step up.

Pitching is the most valuable commodity in baseball. Teams that have it don't give it up easily.

And yes, Narron knows exactly what he's got and how inadequate it is, but he isn't going to throw them under the bus. At best, he'll just let them off at the next stop, if we're lucky enough to find someone to take their seat.

ryanparkersongs
07-04-2006, 10:22 AM
I like Narron a lot. He is proving to be a good coach placed in an absolutely impossible situation. For those who would criticize Narron, I would like to thier choice when they head out to the mound to talk to their tired starting pitcher who tells them he doesn't have anything left in the tank and then they look down to the bullpen to select from the YMCA men's softball league relief corps we have. What can he do? It seems everyone he brings in the game promptly walks the first one or two hitters they face before getting shelled by the next hitters. We need new players in the bullpen.

Henry Clay
07-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Something has to be done about the bullpen, and I'm confident something will be done. The question is: Will it be enough? Folks have floated calling up Bailey or putting some of the aging vets from the Louisville roster in the bullpen. I'm afraid neither option would be enough at this point, and the arguments against promoting Bailey too soon have some merit, especially if the Reds are going to start sliding into losses with or without him. The team needs to deal for a solid reliever and hopefully another solid starter in the next two weeks. Teams like the Royals, Pirates, Cubs, Orioles, and Devil Rays have to have some spare parts that are worthy of a trade now that those teams are beyond hope. As for finding space on the team, Weathers needs to go on the DL because I have to think the man's shoulder is hurting him still. Mays needs to either find himself back in long relief or back in AAA. In sum, the bullpen and the 5th starter spot need a quick makeover or the promise of this season is going to fade like it has in past seasons.

blumj
07-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Whatever he did and said when he was managing the D-Rays didn't seem to do any good. It's amazing how different the feel of that team is with Maddon.

boognish
07-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Spilled milk...but I wish we were hiding Josh Hancock out there. He at least would have been average or below average instead of rancid. Sad.

Is there any additional information about Weathers's injury? His fall-off reminds me of the club wheeling Paul Wilson to the mound instead of wheeling him in for surgery.

WVRedsFan
07-05-2006, 10:44 AM

Doesn't matter.

Lou will be managing in New York in the playoffs while we languish in third place for the forseeable future. Krivsky has decided Narron's their guy. May they be richly blessed for this decision. Somehow, I expected better.

crazybob60
07-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Doesn't matter.

Lou will be managing in New York in the playoffs while we languish in third place for the forseeable future. Krivsky has decided Narron's their guy. May they be richly blessed for this decision. Somehow, I expected better.

huh???? Is Randolph or Torre gone in your opinion? Or have I missed some rumors?

WVRedsFan
07-05-2006, 11:10 AM
You never know...

Besides that could read any number of towns. Lou couldn't manage here this year because of this contract with TB. Then, for some odd reason, Wayne and Bob get this crush on Jerry Narron. I'll never understand this unless both are buying "it's the bullpen, stupid" argument that seems to put a protective shield over Narron. Yes, the bullpen is a monumental problem, but I see other problems with Narron. Sometimes, you can live with those problems and still win, but keeping a young third baseman in AAA while being satsfied with an over-the-hill castoff is one symptom. Playing Rich daily at cleanup is another. It will bite this team in the butt which only means another two years before any great progress can be made.

Of course, this may be the plan. While you're really not ready to compete, why spend the big bucks on a bonafide championship manager? When the team is ready, then you make a move.

Beats me, but the good start had us all dreaming of the playoffs. We should have just been enjoying the summer and the baseball.

jimbo
07-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Sometimes, you can live with those problems and still win, but keeping a young third baseman in AAA while being satsfied with an over-the-hill castoff is one symptom.

Has anyone checked the box scored in Louisville the past few games? EE has played at 1B the past two games, so maybe there is more to keeping him down there than they are letting on. So many Reds fans are just so quick to judgement without really knowing the facts. There has been nothing but heresay on this board about EE lately and an ongoing hammering of Krivsky for still playing him in Louisville......but just maybe there is more to it that what's on the surface.

Heath
07-05-2006, 02:25 PM
If they think that Rich Aurilia is the answer at third base supplanting the best 3B prospect this club has ever had in regards to the sure thing, I'm going to wonder about the sanity of Wayne Krivsky.

IMO - I think EdE's playing 1b, to give him a little more "versatility". That's all. Keep his bat in the lineup.