PDA

View Full Version : does anyone think coffey wears himself out running to the mound?

toledodan
07-03-2006, 05:10 PM
this may sound stupid but is it possible?

RollyInRaleigh
07-03-2006, 05:12 PM
I was watching him before he came in, out in the bullpen. He looked as nervous as a longtail cat in a room full of rockin' chairs. Don't know if he has the closer mentality at this point.

Joseph
07-03-2006, 05:13 PM
No, I don't think he does at all.

tomred
07-03-2006, 05:14 PM
No he wears himself watching the baseballs flying past him another lost for bullpen can anyone pitch here

James B.
07-03-2006, 05:14 PM

When he was pitching good he was running out to the mound.

oneupper
07-03-2006, 05:16 PM

no, it's stupid all right :D

Unassisted
07-03-2006, 05:17 PM
He claims the running helps him settle down. If that's the case, maybe Narron should have him warm up over at Paul Brown Stadium? ;)

savafan
07-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Don't know if he has the closer mentality at this point.

That could be. I think a larger part of the problem is that he knows he's the last hope when he's out there. The only sure thing about the rest of the bullpen is that they will blow the game.

reds44
07-03-2006, 05:29 PM
No.

Bring Homer up, maybe he goes all Papelbon.

toledodan
07-03-2006, 05:29 PM
When he was pitching good he was running out to the mound.

that was april this is july. its hotter now and it could be taking its toll on him. remember he's a very large man.

its something i wanted to throw out but its more than likely he just cant handle the closers role.

flyer85
07-03-2006, 05:39 PM
No.

Bring Homer up, maybe he goes all Papelbon.weren't you against that in another thread?

Maldez
07-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Any athlete who renders himself useless by virtue of running some 300 feet across the field needs to find a new career.

Big Daddy P
07-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Hey, the guy was throwing so many pitches right down the middle of the dish, a rookie league team would have beat him!
Just BAD pitching...nothing more, nothing less. He stunk on ice. He sucked. He's been sucking.

Any questions?

KronoRed
07-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Delays Homer's development to try and help the pen?

No thanks

Highlifeman21
07-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Delays Homer's development to try and help the pen?

No thanks

Homer's developing?

Who knew....

Falls City Beer
07-03-2006, 11:46 PM
I honestly think Coffey's just slumping a bit. And suffering from being used so erratically and irregularly.

Jpup
07-04-2006, 02:10 AM
I honestly think Coffey's just slumping a bit. And suffering from being used so erratically and irregularly.

or "regressing to career norms.";)

KronoRed
07-04-2006, 03:21 AM
/\ Negative nelly ;)

EKURed
07-04-2006, 08:17 AM
I think Coffey's problem is he truly doesn't have "closer stuff." Usually a closer either has a dominant fastball or has another pitch that he can use with a major difference in velocity. I am not sure that Coffey has the dominant fastball or the second pitch which really changes a hitter's timing. I think all of his pitches are between 85 and 93.

RFS62
07-04-2006, 10:23 AM
I was watching him before he came in, out in the bullpen. He looked as nervous as a longtail cat in a room full of rockin' chairs. Don't know if he has the closer mentality at this point.

I saw that too.

Players get psyched in different ways. Some put on a big show like the Mad Hungarian, others give you that icy stare like Bob Gibson.

It would be very interesting to know what exactly is going on in his noggin when he's out there. That part of baseball really interests me.

Sam Snead used to talk about being "cool mad" as his preferred state of mind. Determined, but not pumping so much adrenalin as to be out of control. John McEnroe could raise his concentration by getting mad and ranting and raving.

I'd love it if Coffeybro could chime in on this one.

acredsfan
07-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Just as winning is contageous, I believe blowing the game for your team in late innings after the starter gave you a quality start is contageous. I would hope this is all just from Coffey pressing too hard to be the one guy in the bullpen who strikes out everybody he faces. The veterans in the pen are struggling, so how can they preach their "winning attitude" to the younger pitchers when they are concentrating on saving their own careers?

As a side note on Homer, I can see why everybody is so tempted to bring him up, and I think he has the stuff to get people out, and I honestly don't think the mental part of the game would be a problem for him, the problem that i see is the length of the season. Honestly what is the longest season he has played so far in the minors? Even if he was in the bullpen, it is still a grind to make it through all 162 games. Personally, if Krivsky wants to keep him in the minors all year, I would not complain at all. Yeah, I'd love to see him up here and have success, but I'd rather it not come at the expense of his arm.

RollyInRaleigh
07-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Me too, RFS62. It would be interesting to know how the boy ticks.

johngalt
07-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Coffey is just way too hittable for someone with the kind of stuff he has. With that kind of velocity and a quality breaking pitch, his K/IP and H/IP numbers should be far, far better than what they are.

Redsland
07-04-2006, 02:55 PM
In answer to the original question, Coffey has mentioned that he gets winded when sprinting from some of the farthest bullpens. I think Coors Field was mentioned.

Under normal circumstances, it's just a release of nervous energy.