PDA

View Full Version : Why is Edwin still in AAA??

Shaggy Sanchez
07-04-2006, 12:55 PM
For all of the good things Krivsky has done to help the team so far I feel that leaving Edwin down this long is hurting the team. He is currently hitting .381 after playing 7 games in AAA, I'm not sure what else he needs to do to prove his ankle isn't a problem any longer. The bench has become weaker because of Edwin being down and we get more Rich at 3rd and that translates to more Rich in the cleanup spot. I don't know if the blame should be more on Narron for wanting to play verterans over kids that EE isn't back up or if it is Krivsky not wanting to DFA or send someone down to get him back up here, but either way it is a problem. This team is going to have to score a lot of runs to continue to win with the current BP and having Edwin's bat up here would only help.

flyer85
07-04-2006, 01:00 PM
The Reds are comfortable with Aurilia at 3rd and are disinclined to make a move at the moment. Atterall is RA is really the best cleanup hitter on the team I doubt that EE can replace him.

EKURed
07-04-2006, 01:12 PM
I didn't even realize he was hitting .381 in AAA. Wow...he would be a HUGE lift and a good bat to add to the lineup. The way the bullpen is going, we are going to need 8-10 runs per game to do anything. It's so sad.

TOBTTReds
07-04-2006, 01:40 PM
The Reds are comfortable with Aurilia at 3rd and are disinclined to make a move at the moment. Atterall is RA is really the best cleanup hitter on the team I doubt that EE can replace him.

You just make up a word?

Anyway, I think he should be up here. There is no doubt he could help this team win. This is exactly why I'm not a fan of Narron. He stunts growth and success.

Matt700wlw
07-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Jerry on the pregame:

"There's a good chance he'll meet up with us in Atlanta. We'll talk about it and see what happens. The only bad thing about it would be he'd get 3 days off with the all-star break."

They also want to make sure he's 100%...................um..he is...

membengal
07-04-2006, 01:55 PM
The response:

"The only bad things is this club has, with no semblance of anything approaching a conscience or a working synapse, left a devastating right-handed bat with power in Louisville for a series of games that included lefties Cliff Lee, CC Sabathia and Doug Davis for reasons that no one can comprehend other than a deep and abiding man-love for Rich Aurilia at clean-up and at-bats for Juan Castro."

toledodan
07-04-2006, 02:00 PM
i love the fact we traded for castro and made him almost a everyday player!:bang: :bang:

redsfanmia
07-04-2006, 02:36 PM
i love the fact we traded for castro and made him almost a everyday player!:bang: :bang:
Castro can atleast make a play in the field.

KronoRed
07-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Last week they said EE would be up for the Indians series

I doubt we see him till after the break

kyred14
07-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Castro can atleast make a play in the field.

Only if it is hit right at him. Castro MIGHT be just slighty better than EE in the field, but Edwin is so much more superior at the plate it doesn't matter.

Oh, and it's completely ludicrous Edwin isn't playing 3B right now considering the putrid garbage that's over there right now.

TOBTTReds
07-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Castro MIGHT be just slighty better than EE in the field

OK, Edwin is my favorite player on the team, but this statement is ridiculously false. You don't earn a the knickname "Golden Hands" for nothing. The guy has one of the slickest gloves in the game. Edwin I think will be a great fielder, but is not there yet.

MrCinatit
07-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Jerry sure does like "waiting to see what happens" a lot.

kyred14
07-04-2006, 06:35 PM
OK, Edwin is my favorite player on the team, but this statement is ridiculously false. You don't earn a the knickname "Golden Hands" for nothing. The guy has one of the slickest gloves in the game. Edwin I think will be a great fielder, but is not there yet.

Dude, George Grande gave him that nickname. He's made a career of making easy plays look good. He has no range whatsoever. He's a slightly above average fielder at best.

Cedric
07-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Blaming George for Castro's reputation is weird. Like it or not he's renowned for his defense by managers and gm's alike. It's not George that built up his reputation.

Maybe it's false, maybe it's not. But it's not George.

fisch11
07-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Dude, George Grande gave him that nickname. He's made a career of making easy plays look good. He has no range whatsoever. He's a slightly above average fielder at best.

EdE has more range....I'll agree. But, getting the ball is the first part. Throwing it to the first baseman and not the dugout or 5th row is the second part. I feel much more relaxed when a ball is hit towards Castro than EdE (or Felipe) for that matter. Kind of like when Boone was down at 3rd. You sigh and say "automatic out" to yourself. EdE is learning and can only improve in his errors, but right now you can't say Castro doesn't play better defense than him.

reds44
07-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Nobody knows, and we have an 11 page thread in the ORG in it.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47192&page=11

Many of us are irritated.

jnwohio
07-04-2006, 08:04 PM
I think they are buying time and EE is stuck in the middle.

I look for a remake of the pen over the break including the possibility of a trade involving one or more players now on the 25 man roster. They don't want to lose somebody now (McCracken?) to bring EE back if that person would otherwise figure to still be around after the potential trade.

When push comes to shove there are really only 3 ways to get EE back on the 25 man barring injury to a position player. A) Get rid of McCracken, B) Move a catcher or C) Go back to 11 pitchers. So, if EE makes it back before the break, they will most likely make room by DLing a pitcher (probably Weathers) and saying they only need 11 pitchers betwen then and the break.

RedLegSuperStar
07-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Jerry sure does like "waiting to see what happens" a lot.

And before he knows it he will be looking up at the standings and find the Reds in Forth behind the Cards, Stros, and Brew Crew. Is it possible that anyone in this bullpen can get a man out? This team has yet to capitalize on St. Louis because they are actually playing just as bad as we are. It's so unfortunate that we had games won and then just given up. I hope when ever this team decides its time to make a move that we are still in the hunt and looking to make a run, not looking to unload and plan for next year.. cause next year never comes.

PS.. Recall Edwin and DFA Q

gonelong
07-04-2006, 11:36 PM
EdE has more range....I'll agree. But, getting the ball is the first part. Throwing it to the first baseman and not the dugout or 5th row is the second part. I feel much more relaxed when a ball is hit towards Castro than EdE (or Felipe) for that matter. Kind of like when Boone was down at 3rd. You sigh and say "automatic out" to yourself. EdE is learning and can only improve in his errors, but right now you can't say Castro doesn't play better defense than him.

Juan has his share of issues at 3B. Juan has a .951 fielding %tage at 3B for his career, Edwin checks in at .944 this season. Given Edwin's far superior range, I'd rather have him manning 3B if ONLY defense was being considered. Edwin's defense figures to improve with repetitions, Castro's figures to erode with age.

GL

Chip R
07-04-2006, 11:53 PM
I think we need to bring the Idiotmobile out of the garage and use it to bring EE back from LOU.

kyred14
07-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Juan has his share of issues at 3B. Juan has a .951 fielding %tage at 3B for his career, Edwin checks in at .944 this season. Given Edwin's far superior range, I'd rather have him manning 3B if ONLY defense was being considered. Edwin's defense figures to improve with repetitions, Castro's figures to erode with age.

GL

Well, looks like I was wrong. Edwin is indeed better at 3B. So why doesn't our GM or manager realize this?

flyer85
07-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Certainly the loss of EE and the sudden fascination with Castro is a detriment to the team but the pitching lacks depth and we will see that played out over the remainder of the season and it will eventually cost this team it's 500 record.

oregonred
07-05-2006, 07:35 PM
I think we need to bring the Idiotmobile out of the garage and use it to bring EE back from LOU.

Good thinking. The vehicle could also be retrofitted with a pile of feathers and soft pillows in the passenger seat to protect EE's tender ankle during transit

The idiotmobile could also be instituted as the Reds bullpen vehicle ferry. That would be very appropriate...

This EE situation has me baffled beyond belief. I'm starting to believe the hold EE back conspiracy outlined on the ORG thread.

mbgrayson
07-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Eddie is 1 for 3 in Louisville with a HR tonight. He is hitting .306 there according to MILB stats.

Mike

REDREAD
07-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Blaming George for Castro's reputation is weird. Like it or not he's renowned for his defense by managers and gm's alike. It's not George that built up his reputation.

Maybe it's false, maybe it's not. But it's not George.

A lot of the blame needs to go to Marty. Every game Castro plays, Marty goes on and on about awesome Castro is. Marty always says Castro is the one guy in baseball he'd buy a ticket just to watch to watch him play defense. Marty even said a couple days ago that one of the highest priorities the front office should have is resigning Castro for 2007. :laugh:

RichRed
07-11-2006, 10:32 AM
A lot of the blame needs to go to Marty. Every game Castro plays, Marty goes on and on about awesome Castro is. Marty always says Castro is the one guy in baseball he'd buy a ticket just to watch to watch him play defense. Marty even said a couple days ago that one of the highest priorities the front office should have is resigning Castro for 2007. :laugh:

Please tell me Bob & Wayne don't listen to Marty.

osuceltic
07-11-2006, 10:45 AM
I think they're using a little tough love with Encarnacion. They want to see some signs that he's working to improve defensively and they're not seeing it. His first game back he made a careless error that cost them a game. They're sending him a message that defense matters, that he's not guaranteed a job, and that he better continue working on his game if he wants to keep his job.

I think this is good. Young players need to learn the right way to approach their job.

And I'll never understand the hate for Castro. The guy is unquestionably a great defensive player. He's not a good hitter, but he's better than he often is given credit for around here. If Felipe Lopez is going to give you such lackluster offense and downright lousy defense, I'm sure they look at Castro and see a guy who won't do much worse offensively and will give you great defense.

Defense is important and has cost this team some games. The frustrating thing for the front office and coaching staff, I'm sure, is that neither Encarnacion nor Lopez seem to be getting better, and many of their mistakes -- most of their mistakes -- are careless errors. That gets old. Castro gives them a guy who will make the plays and provide an alternative -- someone they can use to send a message to the two young guys.

registerthis
07-11-2006, 11:04 AM
A lot of the blame needs to go to Marty.

So now Marty is influencing the perceptions of managers and GMs throughout the league?

Wow, the power that has been bestowed upon that man is immense.

RichRed
07-11-2006, 11:15 AM
And I'll never understand the hate for Castro. The guy is unquestionably a great defensive player. He's not a good hitter, but he's better than he often is given credit for around here. If Felipe Lopez is going to give you such lackluster offense and downright lousy defense, I'm sure they look at Castro and see a guy who won't do much worse offensively and will give you great defense.

Castro is a DREADFUL hitter - career .232/.270/.339. In no way does his perceived defensive prowess make up for such putrid production (putriction?) at the plate.

And EE needs to play every day if he's not hurt. Every. Single. Day. How is he supposed to improve his defense if he knows that his next bad throw might mean a trip to the bench? He's 23 and extremely talented, for cryin' out loud, let him play.

gonelong
07-11-2006, 11:39 AM
And I'll never understand the hate for Castro. The guy is unquestionably a great defensive player.

I don't hate Castro, but I question that he a great defensive player. I question that he is even a good defensive player.

GL

osuceltic
07-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Castro is a DREADFUL hitter - career .232/.270/.339. In no way does his perceived defensive prowess make up for such putrid production (putriction?) at the plate.

And EE needs to play every day if he's not hurt. Every. Single. Day. How is he supposed to improve his defense if he knows that his next bad throw might mean a trip to the bench? He's 23 and extremely talented, for cryin' out loud, let him play.
He has played every day and he's still making the same mistakes. That's the point, and the point the front office is making. His name isn't engraved on that lineup card. If he wants to play every day, he has to improve his defense.

You improve defensively, by the way, not by playing every day. You improve defensively by practicing. A lot. He might get four or five chances on a busy night during a game. He needs much more practice than that. That goes for those mental errors and lapses in concentration as well.

Castro may not be a long-term replacement (we know he isn't), but he gives them someone they can use who can make their point for them. They didn't really have that before.

Anyway, all Castro ever does is play hard, play well defensively and do what he can with the bat. He's not a bad guy, his teammates, coaching staff and front office love him. He plays when asked. I really like the guy and think winning teams have guys exactly like that on their bench. There will be spells when they'll play more than at other times for a variety of reasons. I respect them for being prepared and producing when they get the chance. I like Castro a lot.

osuceltic
07-11-2006, 11:44 AM
I don't hate Castro, but I question that he a great defensive player. I question that he is even a good defensive player.

GL
I just don't understand this. How can you possibly say that?

gonelong
07-11-2006, 11:53 AM
I just don't understand this. How can you possibly say that?

I am just as certain that he is not great as you are that he is, so its pretty easy for me to state it.

He is fantastic on balls that he can get to, no doubt. Castro has little to no range and balls that get into LF or CF don't count as errors but they hurt your chances of winning just the same.

The funny part about this is that I thouroughly enjoy watching Castro in the field, from an aesthetics standpoint - he's "pretty" out there. I just don't want him there if I am trying to win games.

GL