PDA

View Full Version : Vegas gambler claims Joe Mays is Majors' worst starting pitcher

savafan
07-06-2006, 12:08 PM
http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=84862&tid=24

By Stephen Nover
Thu, Jul 6, 2006

Who’s the worst starting pitcher in the major leagues?

Let the debate begin - just make it fast because they might not be in the rotation much longer.

“Kansas City had almost cornered the market for worst starters for a while,” says professional gambler Russ Culver.

OK, not including any Royals, who is the least effective starting pitcher?

Here’s a nomination for Josh Towers of the Toronto Blue Jays. Towers’ record: 1-9 (-8.69 units). ERA: 9.11. WHIP (walks and hits per inning pitched): 1.86. Yearly salary: $2.3 million.

“You look at his stats and you just scratch your head wondering how the Blue Jays keep letting this guy go out there,” Culver says.

A case might be made for Jason Johnson of the Boston Red Sox, formerly of the Cleveland Indians.

Johnson went into Wednesday’s action with these figures: Record: 3-9 (-8.99 units). ERA: 6.22. WHIP: 1.70. Yearly salary: $3.5 million.

“You have to put him on that list,” professional bettor Dave Malinsky says of Johnson.

Malinsky looks at two factors when determining how bad a pitcher is - statistics, and what, if anything, that pitcher can do to turn things around.

In the case of Joe Mays, formerly of the Royals and now lighting matches for the Cincinnati Reds, the answer is nothing. Malinsky thinks he`s the worst starter in the bigs.

Mays’ numbers: Record: 0-5 (-3.20 units). ERA: 8.21. WHIP: 2.02. Yearly salary: $1 million.

“Mays can’t strike a hitter out,” Malinsky says. “He has no velocity. So he just lobs the ball up there hoping it will get hit at somebody. At least with Johnson of the Red Sox he does get the ball to be hit on the ground, and sometimes groundball pitchers can get away with some things.”

Mays faces a stiff challenge. The New York Mets recently called up Jose Lima, he of the 0-3 record, 8.79 ERA and 1.81 WHIP. In the last two years the only thing “Lima Time” has meant is boosted bankrolls for faders. Since 2005, Lima is 5-19.

“Mays just doesn’t have anything,” Malinsky says. “Lima, at least, can go out on days where his stuff is working and be effective. Mays just throws batting practice.”

My candidate for title of worst starter is Russ Ortiz of the Baltimore Orioles, formerly of the Arizona Diamondbacks. Ortiz’s numbers: Record: 0-5 (-4.02 units). ERA: 7.33. WHIP: 2.30. Yearly salary: $7.8 million.

There may not be a more overpaid person on the planet than Ortiz.

Somehow the Diamondbacks were able to pass the old maid card, err make that Ortiz, on to the Orioles. Someone in Baltimore must really be eager to nominate pitching coach Leo Mazzone for sainthood.

Mazzone and Ortiz were together in Atlanta for two seasons, 2003 and 2004. Ortiz went 36-16 during those two seasons.

“You have to wait and see on Leo Mazzone,” Malinsky says. “The last couple of seasons under Mazzone, Ortiz wasn’t that bad. You want to give that a little time.”

It was typical Ortiz in his debut with the Orioles this past Saturday. Ortiz gave up nine hits and walked four pitching 4 1/3 innings against Atlanta.

In 28 starts with the Diamondbacks over the past two years, Ortiz was 5-16. He pitched 137 2/3 innings surrendering 174 hits and walking another 87 while striking out 67. His ERA was 6.89 last year and was 7.54 with Arizona this season.

Large contract or not, how can someone stay in the majors with those kind of numbers?

“The Arizona pitching coaches, outside of Brandon Webb, haven’t done anything right with anybody,” Malinsky said. “Look at how many relief pitchers Arizona has blown through the last couple of seasons.

“You have to wonder if it just might be a bad coaching staff.”

BRM
07-06-2006, 12:13 PM
In the case of Joe Mays, formerly of the Royals and now lighting matches for the Cincinnati Reds, the answer is nothing. Malinsky thinks he`s the worst starter in the bigs.

Interesting way to describe what he's done in Cincinnati.

Jpup
07-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Eric Milton would be offended.

Joseph
07-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Can anyone honestly disagree at this point?

smith288
07-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Can anyone honestly disagree at this point?
Wayne Krivsky apparently.

CrackerJack
07-06-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm really not sure why they just didn't keep Dave Williams and save themselves some plane fare.

Chip R
07-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Takes a real smart gambler to figure that out. That's like standing on 20 in Blackjack.

Razor Shines
07-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Takes a real smart gambler to figure that out. That's like standing on 20 in Blackjack.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Why is this news?

corkedbat
07-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Brandon Claussen agrees :D

Elam
07-06-2006, 02:07 PM
You have to at least mention Jose Lima.

Chip R
07-07-2006, 01:07 AM
Bump

savafan
07-07-2006, 01:31 AM
Hopefully, this is the last we have to watch Joe Mays pitch in a Reds uniform.

Raisor
07-07-2006, 08:10 AM
This is why, when most of the board didn't mind the signing (ie-"He's just there for depth in the minors..blah blah blah") I knew this was a horrible idea.

I'll say it again. The problem with signing the Joe Mays of the world is that at some point they're going to PLAY the Joe Mays of the world.

gonelong
07-07-2006, 10:39 AM
This is why, when most of the board didn't mind the signing (ie-"He's just there for depth in the minors..blah blah blah") I knew this was a horrible idea.

I'll say it again. The problem with signing the Joe Mays of the world is that at some point they're going to PLAY the Joe Mays of the world.

You can't say it often enough.

GL

Chip R
07-07-2006, 11:00 AM
So much for that "NL hitters haven't seen him pitch" theory.

Redsland
07-07-2006, 11:30 AM
They've certainly seen his type. ;)

I'm starting to think that the only thing the NL needs in order to become the offensive juggernaut that is the AL, is to import more if its Joe Mays'es.

Sea Ray
07-07-2006, 11:39 AM
The Braves hitters looked real comfortable up there against Mays. Their eyes were big and took some real hard swings.

I'm betting Joe is not related to Hall of Famer Willie...

RBA
07-07-2006, 11:43 AM
My heart skip a beat. I read "Vegas Gamblers claims Joe Mays". I thought Joe Mays was signed by the Las Vegas Gamblers. Darn it.

Benny-Distefano
07-07-2006, 11:51 AM
So much for that "NL hitters haven't seen him pitch" theory.

Do you need to have seen the batting tee before, in order to hit the ball off of the batting tee? :laugh:

Chip R
07-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Do you need to have seen the batting tee before, in order to hit the ball off of the batting tee? :laugh:

:D In reality, all NL batters have seen him pitch. It's called batting practice.

knuckler
07-07-2006, 01:44 PM
I actually caught myself hoping Brandon Claussen can come back without a rehab start, just to avoid seeing any more Joe Mays. It frightens me that I have been moved to such depths.

Chip R
07-07-2006, 01:50 PM
I actually caught myself hoping Brandon Claussen can come back without a rehab start, just to avoid seeing any more Joe Mays. It frightens me that I have been moved to such depths.

Now that's scary. :eek:

redsupport
07-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Joe Mays performance is somewhat inferior to the legendary work of John Tsitouris and Rich Gale

MrCinatit
07-07-2006, 07:18 PM
I think it is scientifically impossible for the Reds to NOT have one of the season's worst pitchers (Mays, Milton, Anderson, Haynes, et al)

Redhook
07-07-2006, 09:37 PM
I can't believe this Vegas guy says Mays is the worst starting pitcher. Unbelievable. Has he not watched him pitch? Where are the stats to back up this claim?

;)

If Mays EVER steps foot on another major league mound, that manager and general manager should be fired on the spot (whatever team it is...I can't imagine he'll pitch again for us...If he does, The Kriv will lose all of his credibility)