PDA

View Full Version : Would You Make A Pitch For John Smoltz

Krusty
07-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Rumors flying in Atlanta that the Braves might possibly deal Smoltz at the trading deadline. The thinking is they could re-sign him as a free agent while acquiring additional pitching.

Now if you're the Reds, do you make a trade for a rental player like Smoltz? What if the Reds offered Claussen and another prospect for Smoltz? Would the Braves bite? But more importantly could someone like Smoltz be a big factor for the starting rotation the final two months of the season?

Something to chew on but as long as the prospect offered isn't Homer Bailey, I think the Reds would have to consider it if Smoltz is made available.

savafan
07-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Not when Mark Redman may be available. ;)

Jpup
07-07-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure the Braves are ready to give up on the WC yet. I can't see him being traded.

Krusty
07-08-2006, 12:02 AM
I'm not sure the Braves are ready to give up on the WC yet. I can't see him being traded.

Considering how many teams they would have to leap frog to get to the wildcard, it would be a longshot.

I think it would be up to Smoltz if he would want to go to a contender as a rental player. It might be his last shot to get another ring.

Razor Shines
07-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Considering how many teams they would have to leap frog to get to the wildcard, it would be a longshot.

I think it would be up to Smoltz if he would want to go to a contender as a rental player. It might be his last shot to get another ring.
Did the Braves ever get one? I must have forgotten, I didn't think they did.

Jpup
07-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Did the Braves ever get one? I must have forgotten, I didn't think they did.

one.

Razor Shines
07-08-2006, 12:14 AM
one.
Yeah, I looked it up, which I should have done before I posted, 95.

dsmith421
07-08-2006, 12:46 AM

Smoltz is a 10-and-5 guy, and I'm willing to bet good money the only place he'd approve a trade to is Detroit. Worth a phone call, but I'd say the chances are infinitesmial.

To be honest, I'm not sure how many realistic targets are out there right now, given that the entire AL and NL West divisions are in play, almost everyone in the NL is hanging around in the WC, and some of the eliminated teams (Cleveland, Baltimore) don't have a lot of starting pitching it would make sense for them to trade.

If the Reds are to make a big move, it's not going to happen for three weeks...the state of play has yet to materialize.

redsfan4445
07-08-2006, 01:00 AM
if I am Krivsky, I go after Willis!!! not Smoltz

toledodan
07-08-2006, 01:17 AM
smoltz will end up a tiger if the braves fall out of the WC race. after the season ends he could resign with atlanta and the braves would get a free player out of this. detroit is loaded with young pitching prospects at all levels.

KronoRed
07-08-2006, 01:30 AM
He'd want a definate no doubt contender, we aren't it yet.

And I don't want him, he's getting worse.

redsrule2500
07-08-2006, 02:20 AM
No thanks.

jhiller21
07-08-2006, 03:21 AM
I'd sooner bring up Bailey, stick him in the bullpen for a few games, and if he shows any poise at the major league level, start him for the last third of the season.

If you want to instill confidence in this young guy, show him you're willing to gamble on his stuff, despite his inexperience.

dsmith421
07-08-2006, 05:22 AM
I'd sooner bring up Bailey, stick him in the bullpen for a few games, and if he shows any poise at the major league level, start him for the last third of the season.

If you want to instill confidence in this young guy, show him you're willing to gamble on his stuff, despite his inexperience.

If Homer is really a Halladay/Oswalt/Mussina type ace, then our best bet is to keep him under wraps until he's ready. Service time, you know...

Raisor
07-08-2006, 07:06 AM
There zero chance Smoltz would approve a trade to Cincy.

Talk here in Atlanta is that the Braves are talking to the Cubs about bringing back Maddux.

RedsBaron
07-08-2006, 07:45 AM
Talk here in Atlanta is that the Braves are talking to the Cubs about bringing back Maddux.
Why? Neither the Cubs nor the Braves are in contention.

Highlifeman21
07-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Smoltz is a 10-and-5 guy, and I'm willing to bet good money the only place he'd approve a trade to is Detroit. Worth a phone call, but I'd say the chances are infinitesmial.

To be honest, I'm not sure how many realistic targets are out there right now, given that the entire AL and NL West divisions are in play, almost everyone in the NL is hanging around in the WC, and some of the eliminated teams (Cleveland, Baltimore) don't have a lot of starting pitching it would make sense for them to trade.

If the Reds are to make a big move, it's not going to happen for three weeks...the state of play has yet to materialize.

Great word.

I can't imagine he'd accept a trade anywhere BUT Detroit, so the phone call may be a token gesture at best.

I can't say that I want to see us give up all that much for him, as he would be nothing more than a glorified rental, and we'd have a snowball's chance in hell at resigning him at either an affordable rate, or at all.

I don't think the rotation is our concern. I think it continues to be the Magnificent Seven (aka our bullpen).

Krusty
07-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Smoltz to Detroit makes sense but it is this level of thinking the Reds should be considering as long as they don't deviate from course of rebuilding the farm system.

Krusty
07-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Keep your eye on RHP LaTroy Hawkins of the Baltimore Orioles. Former Twin who Krivsky knows very well. He could bolster the bullpen in the middle relief department and the Orioles are surely to move him at the July trading deadline.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=bal&playerID=115629

VI_RedsFan
07-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Keep your eye on RHP LaTroy Hawkins of the Baltimore Orioles. Former Twin who Krivsky knows very well. He could bolster the bullpen in the middle relief department and the Orioles are surely to move him at the July trading deadline.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=bal&playerID=115629

Yeah, I can definately see us going after Hawkins (it's easy to see that Kriv has a fetish for ex-twins). He's still got good stuff and would be very effective in middle relief.

I wonder how much we'd have to give up to get him? Would it take a Germano or even Wagner to bring him in?

Spitball
07-08-2006, 09:25 AM
With so many in contention and so few impact starters, Smoltz, Willis, or Zito, it surely will take a bundle of talent to pry one away.

And, I don't see any salary dumps involving any quality.

Falls City Beer
07-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I can definately see us going after Hawkins (it's easy to see that Kriv has a fetish for ex-twins). He's still got good stuff and would be very effective in middle relief.

I wonder how much we'd have to give up to get him? Would it take a Germano or even Wagner to bring him in?

I'd avoid Hawkins. He's not K-ing anyone anymore and his OPSA and DIPS are ugly.

Krusty
07-08-2006, 09:35 AM
I'd avoid Hawkins. He's not K-ing anyone anymore and his OPSA and DIPS are ugly.

If you're looking for starters and Krivsky's ties with the Twins organization, a gamble on Brad Radke or Carlos Silva might happen. Radke could retire at the end of the season and if the Twins feel they have no chance of catching either the White Sox or Tigers, they might try to get something for Radke, whom has pitched well after a horrible start.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3177

Jpup
07-08-2006, 09:43 AM
If you're looking for starters and Krivsky's ties with the Twins organization, a gamble on Brad Radke or Carlos Silva might happen. Radke could retire at the end of the season and if the Twins feel they have no chance of catching either the White Sox or Tigers, they might try to get something for Radke, whom has pitched well after a horrible start.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3177

I think the Twins are hoping that the Tigers collapse in the 2nd half. I don't really see any reason why they would, but it could happen. I sure don't want Carlos Silva in a Reds uniform.

IslandRed
07-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Rumors flying in Atlanta that the Braves might possibly deal Smoltz at the trading deadline. The thinking is they could re-sign him as a free agent while acquiring additional pitching.

Wait a minute -- doesn't Smoltz's contract have a team option for 2007? Does that option vanish if he's traded? I hadn't heard anything to that effect, but if that option remained in force, odds are the acquiring team would exercise it and Smoltz wouldn't be on the market this winter.

Newman4
07-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Wait a minute -- doesn't Smoltz's contract have a team option for 2007? Does that option vanish if he's traded? I hadn't heard anything to that effect, but if that option remained in force, odds are the acquiring team would exercise it and Smoltz wouldn't be on the market this winter.

Here's his contract:

John Smoltz p
2 years/$20M (2005-06), plus $8M 2007 club option

$6M signing bonus
05:$6M, 06:$8M, 07:$8M club option
signed extension 12/04
3 years/$30M (2002-04) plus $12M 2005 club option, plus incentives
incentive of $0.1M/GS
4 years/$31M (1997-2000)
agent: Lonnie Cooper, Career Sports & Entertainment
ML service: 17.072

Jpup
07-08-2006, 10:36 AM

I don't think that is the case. The Braves announcers certainly didn't know about it, if it was.

IslandRed
07-08-2006, 11:32 AM
I see Newman4 posted it, and a quick Google confirmed that there's a team option for 2007 at a reasonable $8 million. No mention that the option is voided if traded.

toledodan
07-08-2006, 11:55 AM
I see Newman4 posted it, and a quick Google confirmed that there's a team option for 2007 at a reasonable $8 million. No mention that the option is voided if traded.

if there is a option for 2007 they still could trade him in good faith knowing he would resign with them for around the same deal. smoltz would get the barry larkin treatment and get his money from atlanta. it would be the best of both worlds for him, playoffs than go back to the braves next season.

IslandRed
07-08-2006, 12:52 PM
if there is a option for 2007 they still could trade him in good faith knowing he would resign with them for around the same deal. smoltz would get the barry larkin treatment and get his money from atlanta. it would be the best of both worlds for him, playoffs than go back to the braves next season.

The option goes with the contract, unless there's specific language that voids it. If he's traded to the Tigers, then it's the Tigers, not the Braves, that have an option on him for 2007.

StillFunkyB
07-08-2006, 01:20 PM
They were talking about this on TV the other night. IIRC, they said Smoltz would retire before accepting a trade to another team. I didn't hear if they said anything about Detroit or not. I have a feeling this would be the only place he would go, and that's a big MAYBE.