PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog Day

dman
07-09-2006, 09:13 AM
O.K., here is my take. I was going to post this on ORG, but I felt everbody should have an imput into this.

This season started out with so much promise. I think we all can say that we were surprised with how the Reds came out of the gate. Now we are back in familiar mid-season territory. I was looking that the Reds are something like 9-16 in their last 25 games, the bullpen is blowing game after game, and are hitters seem to be falling out of that groove they were in early on.

Bob C. and Wayne K. know the woes, but at this point in the season no moves habe been made yet. Is it that nobody wants to give anything up in the way of pitchers or is it that the asking price is too high for what we would get? Are they set on scrapping this season and continuing on with the "rebuilding"?

I know this is a compltely different group at the controls this year, but when your a fan and you find your favorite team in an all too familiar spot, struggling at .500 or just a hair below or above, it leaves a lot to question.

They said if it looked as though we had a shot to contend they would look into adding, but I've yet to see anything happen and I'm having doubts that it will happen. IMO, I thought this team had the best shot at contending compared to any Reds team of the last 5 seasons.

Every season anymore reminds of what Bill Murray went through in the movie Groundhog Day, and it becomes more difficult to tell the current season apart from the season before.

Any thoughts?

Krusty
07-09-2006, 09:33 AM
O.K., here is my take. I was going to post this on ORG, but I felt everbody should have an imput into this.

This season started out with so much promise. I think we all can say that we were surprised with how the Reds came out of the gate. Now we are back in familiar mid-season territory. I was looking that the Reds are something like 9-16 in their last 25 games, the bullpen is blowing game after game, and are hitters seem to be falling out of that groove they were in early on.

Bob C. and Wayne K. know the woes, but at this point in the season no moves habe been made yet. Is it that nobody wants to give anything up in the way of pitchers or is it that the asking price is too high for what we would get? Are they set on scrapping this season and continuing on with the "rebuilding"?

I know this is a compltely different group at the controls this year, but when your a fan and you find your favorite team in an all too familiar spot, struggling at .500 or just a hair below or above, it leaves a lot to question.

They said if it looked as though we had a shot to contend they would look into adding, but I've yet to see anything happen and I'm having doubts that it will happen. IMO, I thought this team had the best shot at contending compared to any Reds team of the last 5 seasons.

Any thoughts?

Where have you been buddy?

Don't know if you missed it but the Reds made a major acquisition two days ago by getting a closer in LHP Eddie Guardado. That solves two problems in the bullpen...closer and setup man, which goes back to Coffey.

As for not making other moves, haven't you been watching the transaction wire with Krivsky acquiring Arroyo, Ross, Yan and Castro. His moves have been golden.

The Reds are four games back of the Cardinals for the NL Central and one game back of the wildcard. If you told me this during spring training this is where the Reds would be at the Allstar Break, I would be delighted. As for the second half, I think you'll see a much improved team with the bullpen problems hopefully solved. Another arm for the rotation would be nice but if Claussen can get his head straight and show he can be a solid starter the second half, that is like acquiring another starter.

Even if the Reds don't win the Central or wildcard, just finishing above .500 and being in contention for most of the season is a successful season in itself.

cinredsfan2000
07-09-2006, 09:34 AM
My best guess is if nothing is done during the break or shortly there after It will be another season with the same results . While Bob C & Wayne K. have made some nice moves that the old regime wouldnt/couldnt have done .I think what with the improved play of the reds during the first half and the suprise moves of finding hidden jems in Arroyo ,Phillips ,Ross it's almost raised the bar too high for us to settle for .500 this season. But the whole bullpen is puzzuling to say the very least. Also some of narron's recent managerial moves really need to be questioned . Like last night's gaff of leaving harrang in for what 130+ pitches:eek: No ED E now for what both nights now ?:thumbdown .It was nice to see the mang. go get some relife help in Guardado. Now we just need a little more

dman
07-09-2006, 09:39 AM
I know of Arroyo, Phillps, etc..... I know of Eddie G. And your right, Wayne K's moves to start the season were golden. Do you think Eddie G. will make that big of a difference? The Yan signing will turn out to be a goat.

And Krusty, those were indeed some of the best moves of the last 6 years. I was referring to everything else from that point on. Yes for now they are 1 back in the W.C. and 4 back of St.L, but when you look at the pattern being set as of late, that is what concerned me.

cincy09
07-09-2006, 11:02 AM
on a bright note we are only 3 games out

Shaggy Sanchez
07-09-2006, 11:33 AM
I think there are a few issues to look at.

1. We don't have much as far as prospects go to be able to overwhelm teams to give us their better players. We also will not be able to outbid some other contenders that have better farm systems.

2. It is still relatively early and there are a lot of teams still in contention. This means that no one is really making any moves of great consequence just yet, which will also make the asking price higher for buyers getting us back to #1.

3. Are the Reds really contenders? I know we are only 3 back but the Brewers and Astros are right there and we still have to pass the Cards. The WC is a logjam and there is no gaurantee we can keep up with some of the bigger spenders with better farm systems to make the neccesary moves.

In my opinion the Reds are more than a player or two away from making the playoffs and you have to wonder if the front office feels we can make enough moves to actualy get into the playoffs. Will they realy give away our best trading chips to get rental players if they don't feel we can get enough to gaurantee a playoff spot? Is there the thought that maybe with the NL as weak as it is that we won't need to make as many moves and not give up our few trading chips this year? There are a lot of questions with no answers at this point in the season but I think that we will start to see more answers after the break when it becomes more clear who is for real and who isn't.

goreds2
07-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Besides the bullpen improving, I think to win a playoff berth, Edwin will have to be healthy to balance the offense and Paul Wilson will needs to be in the rotation by August. He will be a great leader and hopefully will produce quality starts.

:wilson:

macro
07-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Don't know if you missed it but the Reds made a major acquisition two days ago by getting a closer in LHP Eddie Guardado. That solves two problems in the bullpen...closer and setup man, which goes back to Coffey.

I'm not convinced that Guardado will be the solution to anything.

Even if the Reds don't win the Central or wildcard, just finishing above .500 and being in contention for most of the season is a successful season in itself.

Anything less than the playoffs should never be considered a successful season, unless you're the 1963 Mets trying to improve on the performance of the 1962 squad.