PDA

View Full Version : BRM Bobblehead News

BuckWoody
07-11-2006, 01:50 PM
From Lance's blog: (http://lance1530homer.com/blog.asp)

UPDATED: BREAKING BIG RED MACHINE NEWS
You won't believe this. Sources tell me the following today:
Starting Monday July 17, M25 Ministries (http://www.m25m.org/) and the Cincinnati Reds will unveil a bobble head collection celebrating the 30-year anniversary of the Big Red Machine.
The sets will be sold at Greater Cincinnati Kroger locations. It will be a very limited addition set....sure to be a huge collectors item.
A supply of only 10,000 sets will be sold at a cost of $19.95 per bobble head.
ALL proceeds will benefit M25's international relief efforts.
For the first time since his banishment, Pete Rose will appear in a Reds uniform!
Each bobble head will have two figures.
Week of July 17, set 1 Johnny Bench/Sparky Anderson
Week of July 24, set 2 Joe Morgan/Tony Perez
Week of July 31, set 3 Pete Rose/Ken Griffey Sr.
A public announcement is coming later this week.
I will have a complete set to give away this week........and then have a set to give away, once a day starting next week..... for three weeks.
I'm told it is the first time ever that a "team" has been celebrated with a bobble head collection.
I'm also told this is a pretty big step for MLB with Pete Rose.
MLB initially said "NO" to the request by Tony Kountz of the Reds. Now it appears baseball may be softening its stance with Rose.
You will notice George Foster, Dave Concepcion and Ceser Geronimo are not involved.
I'm told it came down to economics. M25 Ministries is not ruling out future additions to the sets.
Congrats to Tim Mettey of M25 Ministries and Tony Kountz, Manager, Corporate Sales and Marketing for the Reds for jobs well done!

I will post a picture of the set later this afternoon

Reaction I'm getting from a Reds executive today:
"The Reds are very excited to be a part of this program. Partnering with Matthew 25 Ministries and Kroger will enable fans to obtain a great part of Reds history with this limited edition bobble head series. Fans can feel good about not only having a unique collectable, but know that through the funds raised with this program that Matthew 25 will be able to help people all over the world with their humanitarian relief efforts. The celebration of the release of the bobble heads comes 30 years after the best baseball team ever assembled in the minds of many. The 1976 team…The Big Red Machine…was the dream team of baseball, and due to free agency will never be duplicated. All fans of baseball will embrace this collection. These Cincinnati Reds greats; Sparky, Bench, Perez, Morgan, Griffey, and Rose, will forever be tied to the Big Red Machine, great players, a great team, a great era in Reds history. We are excited for the promotion and Reds fans everywhere."

savafan
07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Cool. Interesting. But no Foster and Concepcion is a bit odd.

BuckWoody
07-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Cool. Interesting. But no Foster and Concepcion is a bit odd.
I agree. If you are going to do something like this, and it's for charity, why not go all out and do a bobble for each of the starting eight?

Not having Davey included kinda hurts my feelings. :(

Very interesting from the Pete angle though...

KittyDuran
07-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Well, Davey does have a bobblehead coming out at GABP in August. :)

goreds2
07-11-2006, 06:35 PM
They are now announcing this on 700WLW.

redhawkfish
07-11-2006, 08:33 PM

I bet we get a Foster and Geronimo bobblehead night next year!

Reds Fanatic
07-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Saw these in the Kroger's ad. They go on sale at 8 AM on Monday.

goreds2
07-11-2006, 09:46 PM
I bet we get a Foster and Geronimo bobblehead night next year!

I would love to have a Geronimo. He was one of our UNSUNG players.

Yachtzee
07-11-2006, 10:37 PM

I have a nice double bobblehead with Davey and Omar Vizquel.

redsfanfalcon
07-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Me too. Vizquel really idolizes Concepcion. Davey was as the game when they had it up in Cleveland.

BuckWoody
07-12-2006, 09:23 AM
I'll be there for that one no doubt. It's been cirlcled on my calendar from day one. :thumbup:

crazybob60
07-15-2006, 01:14 AM
Me too. Vizquel really idolizes Concepcion. Davey was as the game when they had it up in Cleveland.

I was there for that game as well and the day before the game, there was an autograph signing at a local Hotel up in Cleveland where I got to meet both Vizquel and Concepcion. Got Concepcion's autograph on my Faces of Riverfront poster (now signed by 35 of the 68 guys on the poster...does anybody else get this signed?)

SteveJRogers
07-16-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm told it is the first time ever that a "team" has been celebrated with a bobble head collection.

Nope. Last year the Twins celebrated the 40th anniversary of their first AL Championship with a giveaway set of a whole dern bunch of 65 Twinkies in bobblehead form, as well as a special trading card set by Donruss

bounty37h
07-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Any idea how poor old me in North Carolina can get a hold of these Bobbles?

toledodan
07-17-2006, 01:07 PM

i do as well. i've never opened mine up, but i saw some were defective. some of the people at the park that night opened theirs up to find the heads of the bobblehead falling off. did anyone else have that problem?:(

RBA
07-17-2006, 01:10 PM
I wondering how the Reds got MLB to sign off on the Rose part. Is the new ownership telling MLB to take a hike, finally?

NastyBoy
07-17-2006, 03:04 PM
I wondering how the Reds got MLB to sign off on the Rose part. Is the new ownership telling MLB to take a hike, finally?

Intially they rejected, but finally allowed it, probably because it is for charity.

BuckWoody
07-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Has anyone in the Dayton area tried to see if these are available up here? Just curious.

dabvu2498
07-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Has anyone in the Dayton area tried to see if these are available up here? Just curious.
Available at least as far north as Middletown.

RBA
07-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Can we get these in Ralph's Stores on the West Coast? ;)

Ralph's is owned by Kroger.

redsfan4445
07-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Picked up my set today before they ran out.. i was listening to Lance on the radio after work mentioning the stores sold out. Also as he found out, they spelled Griffey Sr's last name wrong!!

on the side of the box for Bench and Anderson

SET#3
Pete Rose
Ken Griffery

AMAZED that got thru the companies inspection!! hope they didnt spell it wrong on the bobblehead!!

goreds2
07-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Picked up my set today before they ran out.. i was listening to Lance on the radio after work mentioning the stores sold out. Also as he found out, they spelled Griffey Sr's last name wrong!!

on the side of the box for Bench and Anderson

SET#3
Pete Rose
Ken Griffery

AMAZED that got thru the companies inspection!! hope they didnt spell it wrong on the bobblehead!!

In the golden baseball card days (70's & 80's), this kind of mistake made them more valuable.

Reds Fanatic
07-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Available at least as far north as Middletown.
They are also selling them here in Piqua. But when I got mine there were only about 5 left in the store so they are probably sold out by now.

crazybob60
07-18-2006, 01:37 AM
My mom picked mine up today for me in Northern Kentucky. I believe the store in Independence, although she does tend to frequent the location over in Union as well, so it could have been that one as well. From what she said, she is going to get me the complete set which is going to be nice, but I won't be able to get them from her until Christmas because according to her they will be a Christmas gift from my parents. Its great that I will save the money but also suck as the same time that I have to wait close to 6 months to get them...eh...beggars can't be choosers.

redsfanfalcon
07-18-2006, 06:29 AM
My mom picked one up for me in Sidney.

bounty37h
07-18-2006, 11:01 AM
In the golden baseball card days (70's & 80's), this kind of mistake made them more valuable.

Nah, they would only be more valuable if there was also a correction available of the error.

BuckWoody
07-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Huzzah!!!:dancingco

Just picked mine up at the Kroger on Dayton-Yellow Springs Road in Fairborn. If there is anyone else in that vicinity, they still had several left.

RedsRock
07-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Has anyone seen them around Columbus?

RBA
07-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Looks like they have made it to ebay...

http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/bb/b0/d0_1.JPG

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=big+red+machine+bobblehead&category0=

KittyDuran
07-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Got mine this morning on the west side of Hamilton. Only had 5 left (well, 4 now...;) ). They look really nice! :thumbup:

redhawkfish
07-19-2006, 11:08 PM
I got two at the Milford Krogers this morning!:D

toledodan
07-20-2006, 12:33 PM
what was the cost?

KittyDuran
07-20-2006, 12:36 PM
$19.99 (no tax)

toledodan
07-20-2006, 12:37 PM
$19.99 (no tax)

thanks!

BuckWoody
08-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Sorry for the bump but I found this on Lance's blog this afternoon and thought I'd pass it along:

Bobble head update from Matthew 25 Ministries
Last update for all sets sold.......... 95% gone!
It appears as though the Dayton stores are the only ones that have any of the bobbleheads left even Pete's.

I'm hearing rumors that Matthew 25 is considering completing the set.........and offering other members of that team eventually!
With as popular as these seem to be, I wouldn't see why they wouldn't put out a few more. Especially since they missed Concepcion, Foster, and Geronimo. Maybe have a Foster/Geronimo, Concepcion/Gullet, McEnaney/Eastwick.....

Joseph
08-04-2006, 04:35 PM
We'll be up on the 19th, I'm hoping there are still some floating around at that time, but I'm not holding my breath.

BuckWoody
08-04-2006, 04:41 PM
I never actively collected bobbles before these came out. We have quite a few just from going to the games and from having folks we know give us their extras because they know we're big Reds' fans. But after dropping my hard-earned $60 on these three, I'm afraid that there is no turning back.

I'll be there Wednesday to get my Davey. :)

SteveJRogers
08-05-2006, 01:35 PM
I never actively collected bobbles before these came out. We have quite a few just from going to the games and from having folks we know give us their extras because they know we're big Reds' fans. But after dropping my hard-earned $60 on these three, I'm afraid that there is no turning back.

I'll be there Wednesday to get my Davey. :)

You know, I'd much perfer baseball cards! Ya hear that Kahns? Special Anniversary editions of "Team Sets That Never Were" for 1970, 1972, 1973, 1979 and of course 1975 and 1976, and yes they should include Peter Edward Rose in those sets!