PDA

View Full Version : New rotation

BoCcc2832
07-12-2006, 02:25 PM
It looks like the new rotation will have Milton going first, Harang second, Arroyo third and Ramirez fourth. Who will be fifth is left to see.

Thursday, July 13 Great American Ball Park | 7:10 PM ET

Jeff Francis, LHP (6-7, 4.05)
Rockies (44-43) @ Eric Milton, LHP (5-4, 5.24)
Reds (45-44)

Scouting Report:
Francis was rolling until the rain came his last start on July 4 and cut his start short. He was unable to return after an almost two-hour rain delay, but before the delay he was sharp. He forced eight ground-ball outs and added a strikeout, keeping the ball down for most of the night. Francis was given the first start out of the break to keep his days off because of the All-Star break to a minimum -- it turns out it's eight games.
Milton was perfect for his first 3 1/3 innings in a 10-5 win over Atlanta on July 7, until Edgar Renteria hit a one-out double in the fourth. Chipper Jones followed with a two-run homer. The left-hander finished with five earned runs and six hits allowed over 6 1/3 innings.

Friday, July 14 Great American Ball Park | 7:10 PM ET

Jason Jennings, RHP (6-6, 3.67)
Rockies (44-43) @ Aaron Harang, RHP (9-6, 3.70)
Reds (45-44)

Scouting Report:
Jennings went eight innings in his final start before the break last Saturday, giving up a run on six hits and a walk. He struck out eight but picked up no decision in his stellar performance in which he faced Arizona's Brandon Webb. The one run Jennings gave up was scored on a solo homer off the right field foul poll. Jennings thought he pitched well and was pleased with his performance.
Harang threw his Major League-leading fourth complete game, only to suffer his second complete-game loss, a 4-1 decision to the Braves on Saturday. The right-hander worked scoreless for 6 2/3 innings before allowing a single and a two-run homer to Jeff Francoeur. He threw 135 pitches in the game, prompting the club to move his outing back from Thursday.

Saturday, July 15 Great American Ball Park | 6:10 PM ET

Aaron Cook, RHP (6-7, 3.72)
Rockies (44-43) @ Bronson Arroyo, RHP (9-6, 3.12)
Reds (45-44)

Scouting Report:
It seems that no matter how well Cook pitches, he can't get a win. And in the games Cook starts, the Rockies are struggling to win. Cook went 6 1/3 innings and gave up four runs the Sunday before the break, but the Colorado bullpen couldn't hold the team's lead. In Cook's last nine starts, eight of which the Rockies have lost, the righty has given up more than four runs once, but the bullpen had given up 23 runs in 19 1/3 innings in those starts.
Arroyo lasted 4 1/3 innings in his shortest start in 19 outings this season as Cincinnati fell, 8-3, to the Braves at Turner Field on Sunday. Along with giving up 10 hits and three walks, the right-hander allowed a season-high six earned runs -- including two home runs. The All-Star's pitch count soared. Not displaying solid command, he had 57 pitches through two innings and left with 105 thrown.

Sunday, July 16 Great American Ball Park | 1:15 PM ET

Josh Fogg, RHP (7-5, 4.44)
Rockies (44-43) @ Elizardo Ramirez, RHP (3-6, 4.14)
Reds (45-44)

Scouting Report:
Fogg, it appears, is the biggest loser from the changes the All-Star break brought to the Rockies starting rotation. He will have the longest break betweens starts (10 days) among Colorado starters. Fogg has been the Rockies hottest starter recently. He has given up six total runs in his past three starts (all wins) including a two-hit shutout in Seattle. Last time out, he gave up two runs in seven innings.
In his final first-half start, July 5 at Milwaukee, Ramirez gave up three earned runs and seven hits over six innings. It was the seventh time over his last eight starts that the right-hander worked at least six innings. He was optioned to Class A Dayton last week so he could stay sharp with an extra outing on July 10 that will keep him on his normal days of rest.

Falls City Beer
07-12-2006, 02:26 PM
I tell ya what: there's nothing that says "we're serious about competing" more than starting your second half with Milton on the hill.

cincy09
07-12-2006, 02:27 PM
the 5th starter won't be needed until next week with the off-day.

kyred14
07-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Looks like Harang's arm will fall off on August 19, now. Dang it, I had the 18th in the pool.

goreds2
07-12-2006, 02:47 PM
I tell ya what: there's nothing that says "we're serious about competing" more than starting your second half with Milton on the hill.

Cool, he can now start game one of the Division, League and World Series. :D

redsmetz
07-12-2006, 02:49 PM

I think the hatred of certain players clouds the simple logic of this 2nd half rotation - both Harrang and Arroyo are coming off of significantly high pitch counts (not to mention a brief All Star game appearance for Bronson) and this pushes them back an additional day. How much simpler than that can it get?

goreds2
07-12-2006, 02:59 PM
I think the hatred of certain players clouds the simple logic of this 2nd half rotation - both Harrang and Arroyo are coming off of significantly high pitch counts (not to mention a brief All Star game appearance for Bronson) and this pushes them back an additional day. How much simpler than that can it get?

It's too bad Ramirez could not have started on Thursday. I think he had a start for Dayton on Monday though.

Reds Fanatic
07-12-2006, 03:04 PM
the 5th starter won't be needed until next week with the off-day.
They should not need the 5th starter until July 22nd with the off day Monday. They have the next 3 Monday's off so the 5th starter may be skipped a lot this month.

redsmetz
07-12-2006, 03:05 PM
It's too bad Ramirez could not have started on Thursday. I think he had a start for Dayton on Monday though.

Yes, Ramirez went 6 innings, 6 hits, 3 K's, giving up a mammoth homer in the 2nd. Also, Balfour pitch another perfect inning following Ramirez, with 1K.

fielder's choice
07-12-2006, 03:09 PM
So this means Milton will go Tuesday against the Mets, with Harang Wednesday?

Reds Fanatic
07-12-2006, 03:29 PM
That would be my guess. Everyone would be on their regular 4 days rest by skipping the 5th starter this time.

Tommyjohn25
07-12-2006, 03:39 PM

I think the D Train will go on Tuesday for the Reds against the Mets.

:D ;) :mooner: :evil:

NJReds
07-12-2006, 03:40 PM
They should not need the 5th starter until July 22nd with the off day Monday. They have the next 3 Monday's off so the 5th starter may be skipped a lot this month.

Great. I'm driving from NJ to Cincinnati to see Joe Mays and Eric Milton :bang: .

KronoRed
07-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Great. I'm driving from NJ to Cincinnati to see Joe Mays and Eric Milton :bang: .
You'll have a good shot at getting a souvenir ;)

NJReds
07-12-2006, 04:37 PM
You'll have a good shot at getting a souvenir ;)

I plan on wearing catchers gear. :evil:

Falls City Beer
07-12-2006, 04:49 PM

You should never, ever, make the trip exclusively to see the Reds unless they are genuinely contending.

I got stuck watching a Joey Hamilton start several years ago when I came to town exclusively to watch the Reds. I wanted to gnaw off my hands for driving and handing over that kind of scratch for that opera bouffe.

Once bitten....

Blue
07-12-2006, 04:53 PM
You should never, ever, make the trip exclusively to see the Reds unless they are genuinely contending.

I got stuck watching a Joey Hamilton start several years ago when I came to town exclusively to watch the Reds. I wanted to gnaw off my hands for driving and handing over that kind of scratch for that opera bouffe.

Once bitten....

I drew Harang. That's about as good as it gets...

please don't bring up his home/road splits:help:

Ltlabner
07-12-2006, 04:54 PM

Does that mean simply enjoying a nice day at the ballpark is out of the question then? :pimp:

Falls City Beer
07-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Does that mean simply enjoying a nice day at the ballpark is out of the question then? :pimp:

Yep.

Would you pay $10 to see "Dude, Where's My Car?"

I didn't think so.

Ltlabner
07-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Would you pay $10 to see "Dude, Where's My Car?" I didn't think so.

Oh...ok. Well, that clears it up for me then. Baseball is not to be enjoyed!

NJReds
07-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Oh...ok. Well, that clears it up for me then. Baseball is not to be enjoyed!

Well, I plan on having a good time. I'm looking forward to seeing Elizardo pitch on Friday. I understand that Milton's going to pitch too (I had a 3/5 chance for that).

But I really hope Mays is gone by then...:pray:

Ltlabner
07-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Well, I plan on having a good time. I'm looking forward to seeing Elizardo pitch on Friday. I understand that Milton's going to pitch too (I had a 3/5 chance for that).

Anyday at the ballpark is a good day in my book. It's an awesome game and a great place to be. Of course I want the Reds to win it all, but I find simple pleasure it just being at a major league ballpark.

Some others are just miserable if we don't do anything but win, and that's their right, but to me it misses the beauty of the sport if you get lost in the angst over winning.

I have no problem with competition, by the way. Competition is a good thing and there are always winners and losers in life. My point is to get so wrapped up in mania over winning, and if you don't you are miserable, then you've missed out on the pure enjoyment of baseball. Just my opinion.

Falls City Beer
07-12-2006, 05:16 PM
I have no problem with competition, by the way. Competition is a good thing and there are always winners and losers in life. My point is to get so wrapped up in mania over winning, and if you don't you are miserable, then you've missed out on the pure enjoyment of baseball. Just my opinion.

I agree. I don't mind losing. But I prefer to lose on the field rather than losing before a single pitch is thrown.

redsupport
07-12-2006, 05:21 PM
frank pastore for the hall of fame, sounds plausible but only after Mike LaCoss

vaticanplum
07-12-2006, 05:22 PM
A day at the ballpark is always fun, but it is a real bummer if you've spent travel money and time only to see your team lose. Especially three times in four days in two cities. no, I'm never going to let it go.

Redhook
07-12-2006, 06:20 PM
I really don't like the way the rotation is set up. First of all, pitching Arroyo and EZ back to back doesn't make much sense because they're similar pitchers. I'd like to see Harang, a more powerful pitcher, or Milton, a lefty, in between Arroyo and EZ. It just doesn't make sense unless your last name begins and ends with an N.

MaineRed
07-12-2006, 09:05 PM
You had to see Joey Hamilton?

Too bad. If only you had gone to a different game you might have seen Jimmy Hanyes, Lance Davis, Jose Acevedo or Jimmy Anderson/

Boy, you sure missed out.

KronoRed
07-12-2006, 09:18 PM
First Reds game I went to at the new park had Todd Van Poppel pitching

Joy.

redsupport
07-12-2006, 11:07 PM
I got to see the great ken Walters

harangatang
07-12-2006, 11:21 PM

Too bad. If only you had gone to a different game you might have seen Jimmy Hanyes, Lance Davis, Jose Acevedo or Jimmy Anderson/

Boy, you sure missed out.How about Danny Serefeni, you could add him to that list too. :laugh:

redsupport
07-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Juston Acheley was headed to the hall of fame until diverted by the ancient teaching of Professor Mo Sanford

HumnHilghtFreel
07-12-2006, 11:46 PM
I'll be driving down from Columbus on Saturday, and will be seeing
COL: J. Jennings (6-6, 3.67)
CIN: B. Arroyo (9-6, 3.12 )

jmcclain19
07-13-2006, 01:41 AM

Once bitten....

Ahh - that brings back some wonderful memories. During GABP's opening season I made two cross country trips to see the Reds in the new park - the first trip I had the "pleasure" of watching Danny Graves and Jimmy Anderson get their brains beat in and during the second John Bale and Danny Serafini played the part of Batting Practice hurler.

Good times at the ballpark

oregonred
07-13-2006, 02:44 AM

Boy, you sure missed out.

:laugh:

Don't forget Jared Fernandez and if you were really lucky a dose of Josias Manzanillo relieving himself so to speak...

Reds fans really deserve some special compensation and consideration for the trauma caused by this pitching staff over the last decade.

oregonred
07-13-2006, 02:46 AM
Ahh - that brings back some wonderful memories. During GABP's opening season I made two cross country trips to see the Reds in the new park - the first trip I had the "pleasure" of watching Danny Graves and Jimmy Anderson get their brains beat in and during the second John Bale and Danny Serafini played the part of Batting Practice hurler.

Good times at the ballpark

I still remember a late season cross-county trip to Riverfront (never Cinergy in my book) in Dunn's rookie year when Graves blew a 6-1 lead in the 9th (Lance Davis started and actually pitched a great game)

redsupport
07-13-2006, 08:16 AM
yes but many thought Graves had a cute physiognomy

BuckWoody
07-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Anyday at the ballpark is a good day in my book. It's an awesome game and a great place to be. Of course I want the Reds to win it all, but I find simple pleasure it just being at a major league ballpark.

Some others are just miserable if we don't do anything but win, and that's their right, but to me it misses the beauty of the sport if you get lost in the angst over winning.

:clap:

Granted, I may roll my eyes and curse my luck when I realize that I'm going to see one of our human gasoline cans start a game and I only live an hour from the park, but I'll never pass up the opportunity and I'll have a good time regardless. Few things in this life are better than sitting at the yard with a cold beer. :beerme:

bigdaddy
07-13-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm in town for the first two games of the Mets series. Would you say that Milton and Harrang will start for these two?
Thanks