PDA

View Full Version : Change in Reds "Will Call" Ticket Policy

redsmetz
07-13-2006, 05:38 AM
From today's Dayton Daily News:

Reds change policy for will-call tickets
Starting tonight, fans who ordered tickets in advance will swipe their credit cards at a kiosk to print the tickets.

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI — The Reds have launched new will-call ticket kiosks in Crosley Terrace at the main entrance to Great American Ball Park.

They will be in use for all home games, beginning tonight against the Colorado Rockies.

How does it work?

If you purchase Reds tickets in advance on the Internet (at reds.com or mlb.com) or by telephone (513-381-REDS and 877-647-REDS) and plan to pick them up at the stadium, the tickets will be available at the kiosks rather than at the traditional will-call window.

At the kiosks, fans must swipe the original credit card used for the purchase, then the tickets will be printed. If multiple-game ticket orders exist, fans can print all tickets at the same time or select an option to print tickets for the particular game they are attending.

Two hours prior to game time, kiosks will print tickets only to that day's game to speed fans' admission into GABP.

What's the benefit?

"The kiosks not only will allow fans easier entry to the game, they will allow additional ticket windows to be used for day-of-game sales," Reds COO John Allen said.

Can you print tickets?

Yes. When purchasing tickets at reds.com, you can use the "print tickets at home" option.

A valid bar-coded ticket is printed on the home or business printer and is read by scanners at the gates. This feature allows fans to enter the ballpark as they would with any other advance ticket.

DoogMinAmo
07-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Day of game sales can be a mess, smart move.

REDREAD
07-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Not only that, but it probably allows Allen to save a few bucks by having less people man the windows.

Seems like a PITA.. I hate these things. For example, if you can't remember which credit card you used it is very annoying.

Unassisted
07-13-2006, 09:07 AM
I picture these kiosks confusing people in the same way that airport e-ticket kiosks do.

"If I'm swiping my credit card, I'm taking a risk that you're going to charge something on my credit card without me knowing about it. I'll just wait in the long line rather than take that chance." :bang:

Personally, I love kiosks in almost every situation that has them. I'd rather deal with a machine than stand around waiting for some minimum-wage drone to peck my order onto a keyboard with two fingers. It is nice to see Reds management initiate something that is both fan-friendly and forward-thinking.

registerthis
07-13-2006, 09:17 AM
"If I'm swiping my credit card, I'm taking a risk that you're going to charge something on my credit card without me knowing about it. I'll just wait in the long line rather than take that chance." :bang:

I am perfectly fine with getting the stupid people out of the kiosk line--saves me from having to watch them read directions three times, swipe their card the wrong way, look confused, and then begin looking around for an airline employee they can seduce into their web of kiosk dementia.

Now, if we could just get the stupid people to quit trying to by Metro fare cards at the SmartTrip terminals, and get them to quit standing on the left side of the Metro escalators, most of my life's problems would be solved.

RBA
07-13-2006, 09:49 AM
HMM, I wonder if there is a Kiosk convience fee. You know, a $1.00 fee to use the machine instead of interacting with a live person. Probably not yet, but nickle and diming is how the banks make money, so I expect the Reds to follow the trend.

Also, the Reds might want to talk to one of their Bank Sponsors, and see if they are willing to sell Reds Tickets at their ATM's city wide. They can add it on one of the question sceens? How Much you want? Which account? How about a Reds game tonight? Some people might get a spur of the moment need to see a Reds game.

zombie-a-go-go
07-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Also, the Reds might want to talk to one of their Bank Sponsors, and see if they are willing to sell Reds Tickets at their ATM's city wide. They can add it on one of the question sceens? How Much you want? Which account? How about a Reds game tonight? Some people might get a spur of the moment need to see a Reds game.

Now that's a good idea. I have no idea if it would be feasible...

KittyDuran
07-13-2006, 10:48 AM
HMM, I wonder if there is a Kiosk convience fee. You know, a $1.00 fee to use the machine instead of interacting with a live person. Probably not yet, but nickle and diming is how the banks make money, so I expect the Reds to follow the trend.

Also, the Reds might want to talk to one of their Bank Sponsors, and see if they are willing to sell Reds Tickets at their ATM's city wide. They can add it on one of the question sceens? How Much you want? Which account? How about a Reds game tonight? Some people might get a spur of the moment need to see a Reds game.The Indians used to have kiosks at Office Max locations as far south as Dayton... that's how I used to get my tickets for Cleveland... IIRC there was a processing fee.

REDREAD
07-13-2006, 12:01 PM

Something like that might happen in the future, but be careful of what you wish for. You might not mind having an extra screen advertising the Reds, but when it balloons into having to decline 7 offers or see 7 ads everytime you want to withdraw $20 from the ATM, that will get annoying.

I've already seen ATMs that have an extra screen to try to pimp home equity loans, so I think we're headed down that path unfortunately.

realreds1
07-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Now, if we could just get the stupid people to quit trying to by Metro fare cards at the SmartTrip terminals, and get them to quit standing on the left side of the Metro escalators, most of my life's problems would be solved.

I fell victim to the DC rookie error one time - my first time. Never again, will I stand on the left-hand side of the friggin' Metro escalator. You'd thought I'd breeched a major law of etiquette.

Handofdeath
07-13-2006, 12:59 PM
I like how the Marlins do it. The day of the game you can pay 60 dollars and you get 4 hot dogs, 4 drinks, and 4 seats in the Marlins dugout.

Aceking
07-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Movie theaters have been doing this for years for tickets bought online. Seems to be working out ok for them.

Caveat Emperor
07-13-2006, 01:24 PM

I actually own a t-shirt that says, in large black print, "STAND TO THE RIGHT" that I bought while living in DC.

I'm a proud 4 year vet of the West Falls Church to Union Station run.

Handofdeath
07-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Movie theaters have been doing this for years for tickets bought online. Seems to be working out ok for them.

Yes but I have been working in customer service for the last 18 years and believe me I deal with all kinds. If I have learned one thing it is this.

Never underestimate the ability of people to do something stupid.