PDA

View Full Version : Great American Ballpark Advice

overkill
07-13-2006, 10:08 AM
My friends and I are coming down to Cincinnati this weekend to watch the Reds play the Rockies on Saturday night. We are Reds fans coming down from Indianapolis, but are not that familiar with the downtown area. Any recommendations for gameday experiences we shouldn't miss? Are there any hotels in the area that we could stay at and walk to and from Great American Ballpark? Any suggestions or ideas are much appreciated. This is the first time we will be down to see the new ball park so we are really excited.

2001MUgrad
07-13-2006, 10:11 AM
The Gameday Cafe is not a bad place to grab a bite before the game. Its on the main street there around the basketball arena. I don't know any street names or anything on that, so you'd need to check with someone more familar with Cincy.

overkill
07-13-2006, 10:14 AM
That might be a good spot. We are looking to get there early that day and spend time in the area since it is a night game. There are tons of hotels down there, but it is hard to tell which one would work best.

FutureRedsGM
07-13-2006, 10:19 AM
I have stayed just across the river in KY before. The hotel rates there seem to be a little more reasonable and you can catch a trolley to the ballpark.

overkill
07-13-2006, 10:21 AM
I have stayed just across the river in KY before. The hotel rates there seem to be a little more reasonable and you can catch a trolley to the ballpark.

Do the trollies run 24x7, I am not sure what time that night game wil be over?

Thanks for the info.

Reds Fanatic
07-13-2006, 10:24 AM
I would also recommend going to the Reds Hall of Fame. Allow yourself at least an hour to go through the place. This weekend I believe is the induction weekend for the Hall of Fame.

cincy09
07-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Stayed in Cincy many times but never in KY. What are the closest places to stay in KY? Are any of the places close to the Newport Aquarium?

dabvu2498
07-13-2006, 10:53 AM
More places to stay in Covington. And the walk across the bridge is not that bad. Take the trollies over to the Aquarium/Newport on the Levee if you wish.

Danny Serafini
07-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Wish I could remember where I stayed in Covington this May, they had a shuttle bus that would take you to the ballpark for $1. It ran late, too, I went to a night game that lasted 11 innings and the busses were still running after that. I believe it was the Radisson, but I'll have to confirm.

07-13-2006, 11:35 AM
Wish I could remember where I stayed in Covington this May, they had a shuttle bus that would take you to the ballpark for $1. It ran late, too, I went to a night game that lasted 11 innings and the busses were still running after that. I believe it was the Radisson, but I'll have to confirm.

The shuttle busses show up outside the ballpark a few minutes after gametime, for Covington and Newport, and if there are more riders than the busses will hold, they send more busses. It is a great way to go to the game if you are staying in a hotel on the KY side.

You can get a good hotel for 35 or 40 bucks on priceline. The area along the riverfront includes both the Ohio downtown area and the Ky side. If you bid for a room in the area, you will most likely get one in downtown Cincinnati. IO've done this alot, and have never had any problems at all.

I know that last year, the busses made stops at the Radisson, the Courtyard by Marriott, the Holiday Inn, and the Marriott. They had quit stopping at the Hampton Inn, but it is pretty closae to the Holiday Inn

goreds2
07-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Here is a map of the Hotel Locations. (Have fun)

http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/Map/nearbyindex.asp?Item=Hotels&Name=Embassy%20Suites%20-%20Rivercenter&Add=10%20East%20Rivercenter%20Boulevard,Covington, KY&Zip=41011&Desc=10%20East%20Rivercenter%20Boulevard

Chip R
07-13-2006, 11:43 AM
RBA highly recommends the Travelodge in Newport. ;)

goreds2
07-13-2006, 11:49 AM

Wow, you cannot beat the price and it is just across the river.

http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/Hotels/detail.asp?HotelID=27

nineworldseries
07-13-2006, 12:00 PM
The Gameday Cafe is not a bad place to grab a bite before the game. Its on the main street there around the basketball arena. I don't know any street names or anything on that, so you'd need to check with someone more familar with Cincy.

It is located on E. Pete Rose Way (turns into Eastern Ave.) below the GABP and US Bank Arena just past the Taylor Southgate bridge. It is indeed a decent place to get a drink or food before the game. My only problem is that Some of the bartenders are very nice to look at but very stuck up. I usually go get a couple beers ($3) before the game.

Another good place is the Rock Bottom Brewery which has excellent food and beer and is only a few blocks away on Fountain Square (5th and Vine).

dabvu2498
07-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Wow, you cannot beat the price and it is just across the river.

http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/Hotels/detail.asp?HotelID=27
You can also find a wide variety of local "salespeople" who "work" out of there.

boognish
07-13-2006, 12:18 PM
You can also find a wide variety of local "salespeople" who "work" out of there.

:laugh: :laugh:

The_jbh
07-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Haha i park at the travellodge about half the time i go to games... might have to think twice about that again haha...

the real question is do they charge by the day or the hour?

goreds2
07-13-2006, 12:33 PM

A good "Guys Night Out" hotel? :yikes:

overkill
07-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks for all the good info everyone.

BuckWoody
07-13-2006, 03:06 PM
We like to stay at the Comfort Suites over in Newport. They have nice big rooms and it's easy walking distance to Newport on the Levee and all the restaurants and bars around there. You can take the river shuttle from Hooters to the game or, if you want some exercise, walk across the purple people bridge that's right there.

Here's the scoop:
Comfort Suites
(859) 291-6700
(800) 4CH-OICE
420 Riverboat Row
Newport, KY 41071

Blue
07-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Haha i park at the travellodge about half the time i go to games... might have to think twice about that again haha...

the real question is do they charge by the day or the hour?

The Riverfront Travelodge in Newport is actually one of the few hotels that will allow you to rent a room by the hour!

flyer85
07-13-2006, 03:11 PM
dumb question

What happened to the eateries(Applebees) that used to be on barge behind the Marriott in Covington?

I noticed they aren't there on the water anymore?

Chip R
07-13-2006, 03:12 PM
dumb question

What happened to the eateries(Applebees) that used to be on barge behind the Marriott in Covington?

I noticed they aren't there on the water anymore?

They sank. ;) No, they closed up a year or so ago. Too bad cause I liked that place.

dabvu2498
07-13-2006, 03:13 PM
They sank. ;) No, they closed up a year or so ago. Too bad cause I liked that place.
Seriously, though, wasn't that barge sinking?

IIRC, the City of Covington tried and tried to sell that barge and couldn't because it was in such bad shape.

flyer85
07-13-2006, 03:25 PM
They sank. ;) No, they closed up a year or so ago. Too bad cause I liked that place.We went to the Applebees a number of times after a game, always liked the place.

NJReds
07-13-2006, 03:55 PM
After today's trade, you might as well save your money.

LawFive
07-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Seriously, though, wasn't that barge sinking?

IIRC, the City of Covington tried and tried to sell that barge and couldn't because it was in such bad shape.

The restaurants and clubs moved out, Covington bought the barge and resold it for scrap (trying to get what they could for it), then the barge sank while it was being transported to a recycling place.

I miss Howl at the Moon.

redsfan1966
07-13-2006, 10:55 PM
According to a waitress at Frisch's in Covington, the barge Applebee's was on was sinking....just like the Extra Inning remotes Tracy Jones did from there...for what its worth, I too would recomend Gameday Cafe and the Reds HOF as well as the Dugout shop...i also believe that Willie's (Bill Cunninghams joint) in Covington offers a $2 shuttle to and from the game and they give you coupons for the place when you go back...and even though I had a bad experience last time i went to Willies, I still love the place and am forgiving since my wife was able to get some niiiiice gift certificates from the manager after our experience....

Unassisted
07-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Here's a thread with some classic "going to Cincinnati" advice from the RedsZone FAQ.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31267