PDA

View Full Version : BA Midseason All Stars; Jay Bruce, Low-A Player of Year

dougdirt
07-14-2006, 06:03 PM
The guys over at BA just released their Midseason All Stars for each level. Several Reds prospects made the lists.

Chris Denorfia was named to the AAA List.
Joey Votto was named to the AA List
Jay Bruce was named to the A List and also named Player of the Year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/news/261917.html

UC_Ken
07-14-2006, 09:19 PM
no love for Homer?

edabbs44
07-15-2006, 01:28 AM
Best thing about the article is Bruce got an awesome nickname. Someone in the Bronx won't be happy if it sticks.

"The 19-year-old leads the minors in doubles as well as extra-base hits. While the rest of the talented outfield quintet had been on the prospect radar for years, The Boss emerged as one before his senior year of high school. Two years later, one might say he has as much going for him as any of them."

dougdirt
07-15-2006, 01:31 AM
BA has been calling Jay, The Boss in the daily minor league email updates for a while...I missed where it all started at, but I always laugh when they will jsut have his statline and just say THE BOSS!

Steve4192
07-15-2006, 01:38 AM
Best thing about the article is Bruce got an awesome nickname. Someone in the Bronx won't be happy if it sticks.

I believe it is more of a reference to a certain Asbury Park, New Jersey native.

KronoRed
07-15-2006, 01:47 AM
I like it

"Now batting..The Boss"

:D

Caveat Emperor
07-15-2006, 02:48 AM
I believe it is more of a reference to a certain Asbury Park, New Jersey native.

Who both, as it turns out, have a propensity for driving things over fences.

debra
07-06-2007, 11:53 AM
THE BOSS!!! HA.....

Redman15
07-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Low Class A Midseason Top Player
Jay Bruce, of, Reds (Dayton)

The strange thing about it is Jay was not in Dayton this year. Every player listed as a Low A all-star is actually playing in High A. BA has two High A lists and no Low A list.

BRM
07-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Low Class A Midseason Top Player
Jay Bruce, of, Reds (Dayton)

The strange thing about it is Jay was not in Dayton this year. Every player listed as a Low A all-star is actually playing in High A. BA has two High A lists and no Low A list.

This is from 2006. debra bumped the thread.

Redman15
07-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I guess I should of looked at the date. My bad.

Cyclone792
07-06-2007, 12:28 PM
For those who did not know, [url=http://www.fangraphs.com[/url] is now including minor league players in their stat databases. You won't be able to search for minor league players with their search players tool, but you can run your mouse over leaders at the top, select minor leagues, and then find player pages as you sort through each league's leader page.

Here's Bruce's page, FYI ... http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=$08556&position=OF

Tom Servo
07-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah topping this thread definatly confused me. I was impressed Deno managed to be named to the AAA team when he didn't play any baseball this season.

RedsManRick
07-06-2007, 01:55 PM
I wonder what Bruce's LD% is, cause those BABIP numbers are off the charts.

dougdirt
07-06-2007, 02:34 PM
I wonder what Bruce's LD% is, cause those BABIP numbers are off the charts.

His line drive rate is 21% of the balls he puts in play through the 2nd of July. So yeah, his line drive rate is high, but the other thing is, he gets quite a few more 'flyball' hits than most people do. What I have noticed from looking at lots of minor leaguers is that power hitter types with his LD rates get a few more 'flyball' hits than other guys. I just write it off that they are just hitting the ball harder and further than their peers are and while it may go down as a FB, its probably still hit very hard.