PDA

View Full Version : Starting Pitcher On The Horizon?

Krusty
07-15-2006, 10:42 AM
The Reds have one sore spot remaining and that is the fifth starter. Joe Mays isn't the answer. Brandon Claussen remains an enigma and his first rehab assignment didn't inspire anyone.

So does Wayne overpay again to get that fifth starter? Nice thing is he hasn't been dipping into the farm system and trading key prospects that are the components to the farm system rebuilding process.

So who does he go after?

icehole3
07-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Trade one of those catchers and a prospect...I dont care which catcher you trade for another Arroyo type pitcher.

pedro
07-15-2006, 11:02 AM
man I'm hoping they're showcasing aurilia because I'd hate it if they traded EE.

Falls City Beer
07-15-2006, 11:03 AM
man I'm hoping they're showcasing aurilia because I'd hate it if they traded EE.

If they trade EE, I want someone to just kick me in the junk.

corkedbat
07-15-2006, 11:08 AM
How much hope is there of a catcher bringing an Arroyo-like pitcher, if Kearns and Lopez combined couldn't?

RedRoser
07-15-2006, 11:13 AM
How much hope is there of a catcher bringing an Arroyo-like pitcher, if Kearns and Lopez combined couldn't?

None, unless his name was Bench. :D

ED44
07-15-2006, 11:16 AM
The O's send Daniel Cabrera down to AAA yesterday. I wouldn't mind inquiring about him. He has good stuff, but has trouble throwing strikes at times. His #'s this year are not anything to brag about, but if he couldn't help now...he could help in the future. I would, at least, like to see what they would want for him.

Razor Shines
07-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Should we set up a thread to find an official junk kicker? Because if EE does get traded I'm sure many, myself included, will feel that way.

pedro
07-15-2006, 11:17 AM

:laugh:

Krusty
07-15-2006, 03:39 PM
Let me throw this idea out:

Reds trade Claussen and LaRue to the Phillies for RHP Jon Lieber and catcher Mike Liberthal.

The thinking: Even though the Reds don't need Lieberthal, they take his remainder of his contract in order to get out of LaRue's contract come 2007. Lieberthal will be a free agent at the end of the season. Can we say Claussen is the Austin Kearns of the pitching staff? A guy who hasn't lived up to his hype yet we keep waiting.

reds44
07-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Should we set up a thread to find an official junk kicker? Because if EE does get traded I'm sure many, myself included, will feel that way.
That makes 3 of us.

Although I feel that Wayne is going to build the offense around Dunn and EE. I would be more worried if Narron was the GM.

KronoRed
07-15-2006, 04:00 PM
We need a 3 starter not a 5th, Milton is the 5th.

Only things left to trade are in the minors.

Spitball
07-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Krivsky has shown he is bold. Could he be bold enough to go after John Smoltz? Two days ago I would have said, "No way", but now I'm not so sure. I would be afraid to speculate on what he might be willing to give, though. ;)

KronoRed
07-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Smoltz would turn us down...10-5

dunner13
07-15-2006, 04:34 PM
What could we get for larue. Surely someone needs a starting catcher and would be willing to give us something for him. If we could get a decent starter for him that would be great. Like maybe Odalis Perez from the dodgers. They really want to dump him. Yeh hes struggled alot, but maybe a change of scenery helps him turn it around. Make them pay for alot of his salary and it might work, of couse they have Hall, and Martin.

Blue
07-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Anyone be willing to take a chance on Brett Myers? He'd be great in the 3rd spot in our rotation, but he had that incident of spousal abuse in June.

If we were willing to take him on, would you trade Dave Ross for him?

jnwohio
07-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Smoltz would turn us down...10-5

What would be his motivation to turn the Reds down at this point? He has said maybe it might be best if he was traded. He isn't in a race now and is a free agent at the end of the season and can go where ever he choses that will have him then.

He might have reasons he would not come to the Reds; but on the other hand I'd think he would look at their situation and feel he might well be the piece that could put the Reds into the playoffs this year which he is not going to be unless he leaves the Braves.

cincy09
07-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Anyone be willing to take a chance on Brett Myers? He'd be great in the 3rd spot in our rotation, but he had that incident of spousal abuse in June.

If we were willing to take him on, would you trade Dave Ross for him?
yes!

Blue
07-15-2006, 04:48 PM
yes!

Is that really lopsided or something? I was just going by what the guy at mlbtraderumors said:

"Myers won't bring a Josh Beckett-sized bounty, but even with the baggage you'd think the Phils could get one good prospect in return."

I thought since they won't really have a catcher for next year they might be willing to go for the 29 year old Ross instead. Not a prospect, but has shown a lot this year and is several years away from being a free agent.

dunner13
07-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Send Larue for myers and make ross our everyday starter. The risk is that myers is a huge cancer in the clubhouse and a horrible person.

Blue
07-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Send Larue for myers and make ross our everyday starter. The risk is that myers is a huge cancer in the clubhouse and a horrible person.

The Phillies wouldn't do that. They might not even do the trade if it were for Ross.

KronoRed
07-15-2006, 04:54 PM
What would be his motivation to turn the Reds down at this point? He has said maybe it might be best if he was traded. He isn't in a race now and is a free agent at the end of the season and can go where ever he choses that will have him then.

If he wants to go anywhere it's going to be Detroit, we may see the Reds as top flight contenders but the Braves are only 5.5 out of the WC, he may say if that's the best they can do why not just say where I am?

Marc D
07-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Let me throw this idea out:

Reds trade Claussen and LaRue to the Phillies for RHP Jon Lieber and catcher Mike Liberthal.

The thinking: Even though the Reds don't need Lieberthal, they take his remainder of his contract in order to get out of LaRue's contract come 2007. Lieberthal will be a free agent at the end of the season. Can we say Claussen is the Austin Kearns of the pitching staff? A guy who hasn't lived up to his hype yet we keep waiting.

I'd do it. If you are getting the career Lieber your getting a 200 IP 4.00 ERA pitcher. If his numbers this year are a sign that the slide has begun then I guess thats the risk you are taking.

If we got any starter to upgrade the Mays/Claussen spot in return for LaRue and we cleared LaRue's contract for '07 I am doing the happy dance no matter who it is.

penantboundreds
07-15-2006, 05:00 PM
larue and bray/majewski for garcia or vazquez

Spitball
07-15-2006, 05:01 PM
The risk is that myers is a huge cancer in the clubhouse and a horrible person.

I'm betting Myers will be dealt a pretty severe penalty for striking a woman and dragging her by the hair. Domestic abuse is a hot political issue at this time and this is a high profile case. If the DA is up for re-election and this case comes to trial in October...he is :explode: toast.

Matt700wlw
07-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Loriano would be nice.

I'm going to get off the drugs now. :D

Blue
07-15-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm betting Myers will be dealt a pretty severe penalty for striking a woman and dragging her by the hair. Domestic abuse is a hot political issue at this time and this is a high profile case. If the DA is up for re-election and this case comes to trial in October...he is :explode: toast.

Gosh, I hadn't heard the details.

However, seeing as how his wife bailed him out of jail, I don't think they'll be throwing the book at him.

Spitball
07-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Gosh, I hadn't heard the details.

However, seeing as how his wife bailed him out of jail, I don't think they'll be throwing the book at him.

I guess I don't understand your logic. Anyway, this is from an article about the case.

Myers faces a maximum of 2 ½ years in jail. There is no minimum sentence.

He was released on $200 bail, which Kim Myers posted. Team sources indicated that she remained in Boston.

Brett Myers was arraigned yesterday morning and was released after posting bail on two conditions: that he have no contact with Kim Myers that is not initiated by her and that he could be sent to jail immediately for 60 days if he is arrested again. His pretrial hearing date was set for Aug. 4 but he is not required to attend.

Blue
07-15-2006, 05:23 PM
He also spent 3 weeks in counseling provided through the MLB Employee Assistance Program.

Very stupid, idiotic, and wrong thing to do. However, I still doubt he misses any time because he's incarcerated.

BigREDSfaninKY
07-15-2006, 08:36 PM
I'd doubt you'd see the Reds trade one of there catchers right now. If I'm not mistaken, Ross is going on the DL or will be DL'ed soon.