PDA

View Full Version : White Sox dangle Garcia and Vazquez for setup man

Spitball
07-15-2006, 03:53 PM
It seems setup men are suddenly being recognized for their true value. Setup men have traditionally been those pitchers not talented enough to start and not reliable enough to close, but they have to get valuable outs. Often they come into a game with runners on base. All outs are important so those middle men better be able to get batters out, also.

First, Kearns and Lopez for middle men and now Garcia and Vazquez being offered for setup men.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/07/14/daily.scoop/index.html

A decidedly drab pitching market is on the verge of receiving a major shot in the arm. The White Sox are sending out word that they're willing to trade one of two veteran front-line starters -- either Freddy Garcia or Javier Vazquez -- if a team will relinquish a top-flight setup man. One potential target is Phillies All-Star closer Tom Gordon.

If anything's weaker than the starting-pitching market right now, it's the relief market. But if anyone's capable of injecting life into both markets simultaneously, it's White Sox general manager Ken Williams, who has outworked and outmaneuvered virtually everyone else the last couple of years...

Setup men are valuable.

westofyou
07-15-2006, 03:57 PM
It seems setup men are suddenly being recognized for their true value.

They are like a good plumbing system, noticed when it's not there , not noticed when it all works fine.

The 100 Inning Reliever - A Dying Breed (http://baseballminutia.com/blog/2006/06/15/the-100-inning-reliever-a-dying-breed/)

Gallen5862
07-15-2006, 04:19 PM
We should offer to trade them Yan. Reds should see what we can get for him.

Blue
07-15-2006, 04:43 PM
I still disagree that these guys are middle men. I think they ARE setup men. That has been Majewski's role, and from everything I've read Bray is a late innings guy too.

redsfanfalcon
07-15-2006, 05:37 PM
We should offer to trade them Yan. Reds should see what we can get for him.

Highly unlikely Yan is going to bring Garcia or anyone worthwhile, for that matter, especially since they could wait 10 days to get him for nothing.

DoogMinAmo
07-16-2006, 01:18 AM
What if we turn around and flip one of the two new guys plus a prospect for Vasquez or Garcia? Would that make the trade more palatable?

Jpup
07-16-2006, 02:18 AM
What if we turn around and flip one of the two new guys plus a prospect for Vasquez or Garcia? Would that make the trade more palatable?

The Sox are thinking Tom Gordon, not Gary Majewski. That's not a knock of Majewski, but he's not in the same class, probably not even the same school.

TC81190
07-16-2006, 12:00 PM
The Sox are thinking Tom Gordon, not Gary Majewski. That's not a knock of Majewski, but he's not in the same class, probably not even the same school.

http://secondnegative.com/images/midvale.gif

Rocket_Fuel
07-16-2006, 01:02 PM
I've always likd Vazquez and thought he had untapped, Oswalt-type potential. But the guy is making, what, 12 million a year? Even with the new management we would be hard pressed to get them to eat that salary!