PDA

View Full Version : Explain DFA of Yan

bleedsred
07-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Why would the Reds DFA Yan when Standridge could have been sent down? With Ross going to the DL, Ramirez could have been brought up with no other moves. then, if and when Claussen(22nd?) is healthy, Mays could be DFA'd. This would seem to be a better move imo.

Yan had an ERA of 3.60 in 15 IP for the Reds...giving up 6 earned runs. Yan was victimized by the long ball giving up 4.

The Reds could have put him out there a few more times and shopped him around. Surely he could have landed a mid-level prospect. Esp. after the return when got for trading Kearns and Lopez.

pedro
07-15-2006, 10:40 PM
his career ERA is 5.12

bleedsred
07-15-2006, 10:44 PM
and what is Chris Hammond's career ERA or Rick White's?

I would rather have Yan than Mays.

kheidg-
07-15-2006, 10:47 PM

I would rather have Yan than Mays as well but that still doesn't make Yan good. I'm guessing the only reason Yan was DFA'd instead of Mays is because they think Mays can fill in as a starter. I couldn't disagree more.

guttle11
07-15-2006, 10:48 PM

I'd rather have hemroids than a hernia.

KoryMac5
07-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Mays will be gone soon too.

harangatang
07-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Mays will be gone soon too.Really? I heard there were talks of signing him to a LTC. ;)

HotCorner
07-15-2006, 11:19 PM
I'd rather have hemroids than a hernia.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dieselman44
07-15-2006, 11:19 PM
no team in their right mind would give any prospects for Yan.

bleedsred
07-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I still think the Reds could have worked it out to buy a few more weeks without DFA a pitcher with a 3.60 ERA. Maybe a team in the playoff hunt gets desperate and wayneK pulls off a small deal on the side. I know what Yan's career ERA is, but teams seem to be desperate for relief pitching. I know Cincy would not land a big time prospect, but if a guy like Dave Williams gets us something I would think that Yan could have also.

bleedsred
07-15-2006, 11:32 PM
CHICAGO -- In a move to bolster the bullpen Tuesday, the Reds acquired journeyman reliever Esteban Yan from the Los Angeles Angels along with cash for Minor League pitcher Kyle Edens.

Edens is at AA with the Angels now...2-2...1 save...4.94 ERA....9 w and 10 k

Before the trade Edens was at Sarasota...25 k in 29.2 IP...

Better than Nothing....

edabbs44
07-15-2006, 11:35 PM
no team in their right mind would give any prospects for Yan.
http://www.sportsteams.com/acbnet/stores/1/images/MLB/LOGOS/CincinnatiReds.jpg

CTA513
07-16-2006, 12:03 AM
CHICAGO -- In a move to bolster the bullpen Tuesday, the Reds acquired journeyman reliever Esteban Yan from the Los Angeles Angels along with cash for Minor League pitcher Kyle Edens.

Edens is at AA with the Angels now...2-2...1 save...4.94 ERA....9 w and 10 k

Before the trade Edens was at Sarasota...25 k in 29.2 IP...

Better than Nothing....

You left out that Edens gave up 41 hits in 29.2 innings with Sarasota Reds and now has given up 33 hits in 23.2 innings with Arkansas Travelers. If the Reds didnt trade Edens he would have probably been released to make room for someone else who needed to be promoted to Sarasota.

They traded a guy who was 26 years old and in Single-A baseball with an ERA over 5.00. Its not like they traded away one of the good prospects to take a gamble on Yan.

Gallen5862
07-16-2006, 12:09 AM
The dfa of Yan opened up a Roster spot so the Reds could claim Of Brandon Watson and send him to AAA. So right now its Edens for Watson. The Reds still can trade Yan hopefully for another player or cash.

Patrick Bateman
07-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Yan is terrible. He pitched terribly for us, but received some good luck.

In 15 innings Yan gave up 4 HRs, struckout 8, and walked 7.

He was not going to keep maintaining that 3.60 ERA unless he kept getting lucky. 4 Hrs in 15 innings says it all. He is probably the worst guy we have trotted out from the pen this season (and that is saying something).

redsupport
07-16-2006, 01:20 AM
standridge is infinitely worse

Rob Dicken
07-16-2006, 01:55 AM
I think it's been established quite a few times that the Reds bullpen is horrid. We just acquired some good young arms. Why are we worried about releasing Yan who is nearing his 40's and has a career ERA over 5.00?

Razor Shines
07-16-2006, 02:02 AM
standridge is infinitely worse

I don't think that, but he has struggled mightily this year. But he is young and according to people who know he has great stuff.

Wheelhouse
07-16-2006, 02:05 AM
1) Ross is not on the DL
2) Standrige will go when Easy returns.
3) Better for Yan, who did a decent job for the Reds, to be out on the market now, as early as possible, rather than when teams have made their moves. I think it may be a nod to Yan to get him out there now.

Jpup
07-16-2006, 02:05 AM
Yan is terrible. He pitched terribly for us, but received some good luck.

In 15 innings Yan gave up 4 HRs, struckout 8, and walked 7.

He was not going to keep maintaining that 3.60 ERA unless he kept getting lucky. 4 Hrs in 15 innings says it all. He is probably the worst guy we have trotted out from the pen this season (and that is saying something).

Joe Mays says :wave:

Big Klu
07-16-2006, 02:56 AM
Why would the Reds DFA Yan when Standridge could have been sent down?

I thought that Standridge was also out of options, so he would have to be designated for assignment, too.

(Not that I am defending the decision to drop Yan. I would have kept Yan and designated Standridge. But it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other.)

Team Clark
07-16-2006, 03:03 AM
Joe Mays says :wave:

If he's not next then... well I need to keep my mouth shut!! Mays really is brutal. He's proof that if you just throw the ball over the plate, hitters WILL get themselves out.

PuffyPig
07-16-2006, 11:52 AM
I still think the Reds could have worked it out to buy a few more weeks without DFA a pitcher with a 3.60 ERA.

Forget the ERA, it's a very poor indicator of success over a small sample size. His DIPS ERA was well above 6, about 50% higher than Standridge's DIPS ERA.

Standridge has pitched much better than Yan this season.

Eric_Davis
07-16-2006, 01:39 PM
I think they signed him to see if the coaches could change something in him to lessen the number of gopher balls he gives up. If it wasn't for the gopher balls, Yan is a heck of a reliever. As it turned out, the coaches couldn't change him, and they cut their losses early.

Another excellent move by Krivsky in his attempt to improve the organization. It cost him very little to try this.

James B.
07-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Also ERA don't tell the story of runners Yan inherited and let score. I went to one game where he came in with the bases loaded and gave up a grand slam.

Nugget
07-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Wouldn't it be that Yan and Majic are essentially the same pitchers along with Coffey. They can make about 20 pitches with smoe heat and then they are out of puff. With Beslisle out Narron probably just needed his bullpen mix right.

savafan
07-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Forget the ERA, it's a very poor indicator of success over a small sample size. His DIPS ERA was well above 6, about 50% higher than Standridge's DIPS ERA.

Standridge has pitched much better than Yan this season.

DIPS ERA? C'mon, I think we're just making up stats now. ;)

Dunner44
07-16-2006, 08:34 PM
I hate to do this, but Mays didn't look horrible the one time he came out of the pen. In comparison to the guy he replaced that is. BC was horrid that game, probably the worst day I could have picked to take my day out for his birthday.

KySteveH
07-16-2006, 08:47 PM
I thought that Standridge was also out of options, so he would have to be designated for assignment, too.

(Not that I am defending the decision to drop Yan. I would have kept Yan and designated Standridge. But it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other.)

Standridge has been outrighted once (this year, in fact) Therefore, he would have to clear waivers to be sent to AAA. Yes, I know he would clear waivers, but I just wanted to clarify his situation.

A team never needs to DFA a player (or D a player FA). Sometimes you must request waivers on a player, and when you do, you can DFA a player in order to clear a roster spot in your organization.