PDA

View Full Version : '99 vs. '06

SeeinRed
07-17-2006, 11:41 AM
I keep hearing comparisons about the 99 team and this year's team which got me thinking about this question: If this year's team makes a serious playoff push, or even makes the playoffs, do you think you will remember it as fondly as you do the 99 team. I mean, the 99 team was something special, and they didn't even technically make the playoffs. They were over-achievers. Add in the group of guys on the team, and you have a lot of people with a lot of fond memories of that season.

On the other hand, the 99 team didn't even make the playoffs. How special can a team be that doesn't even make the playoffs? I mean, why does everyone view the 99 team as being so special when on paper all you see is a team that just made the playoffs?

I have my own reasons for remembering that team so fondly, as you have yours, and in some ways I don't know that everyone will view this team as being as special as the 99 team. That being said, there is almost half a season to go, and I don't know that the 99 team had such a special feeling about it at this point in the season, so maybe people will look back at the 06 team and say "that team was special." I mean, this team is evolving into a solid unit.

Defense is lacking, but getting better. The bullpen is being rebuilt and could be close to respectability with a solid arm in Majewski, and the possibilities of Bray, along with a solid closer. Throw in the potential of Coffey, and you have the makings of a solid bullpen. Starting pitching is doing its part, and IMO is one solid pitcher away (middle of the rotation guy) from being very respectable. Offense, as always in recent history, is going to be above average, despite trading away Kearns and Lopez. A good mix of young guys and veterans with post season experience all around. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but all together I think this team may be just one solid middle of the rotation pitcher from being the most complete team the Reds have had in a long time. But is that exactly what could make this team not as special as the 99 team?

The reason I liked the 99 team so well was that the team seemed to be a group of regular guys who played the game with a lot of heart, and made a run against all odds. It is oddly similar to this year's Bearcat team. They were expected to loose because of the talent level of the players. Instead of giving in, they went out and just played. Just to watch the team's heart and determination throughout the season was something special. Both teams just missed the post season (playoffs, NCAA tourney), and both are going to be remembered by Cincy sports fans for a long time. Little talent, big hearts. Thats why the 99 team was so special.

That was a long post for such a simple question, but I pose these questions to you. Why was the 99 team so special to you? Even if the 06 team makes the playoffs, will it be as special as the 99 team?

toledodan
07-17-2006, 12:02 PM
the 99 team won 96 games. that is special no matter if you made the playoffs or not. if not for pi$$ing away a couple of games to the brewers the final weekend they would have been in.

goreds2
07-17-2006, 12:09 PM
the 99 team won 96 games. that is special no matter if you made the playoffs or not. if not for pi$$ing away a couple of games to the brewers the final weekend they would have been in.

To this day, I still cannot get that Brewer series out of my mind. :(

RedsManRick
07-17-2006, 01:22 PM
The bullpen on that 99 team was lights out. Scott Williams and Danny Graves were both unhittable.

Ravenlord
07-17-2006, 01:24 PM
or if they had beaten any other team just one more time in the previous 159 games.

marcshoe
07-17-2006, 01:26 PM
One huge difference, I hope, is that the '99 team was a one-year wonder, while this year the feeling is more that, with the new ownership, a genuine desire to win will make this the first of many contending years.

So while there may be more of a fondness for the there-and-gone heady days of '99, this year may prove more significant.

ochre
07-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Does this make Brosnon Arroyo this year's Steve Parris?

I think this year's team is similar to last year's Indians team.

SeeinRed
07-17-2006, 02:12 PM

I like that comparison except that Indians team was a lot younger if I'm not mistaken. My memory is poor at times.

I don't know that the 96 wins were what made the 99 team special. The unique thing about that team is that they didn't make the playoffs and they are still a special team in many of the Red's fans eyes. Why is that? Just one year where we were made to believe that anything could happen. What sets that year apart from any other near misses? Is it because it happened more recent than the others?

Highlifeman21
07-17-2006, 02:16 PM

God I hope not, b/c all I could think when Parris was named the starter of the 1 game playoff against the Mets was "Steve F'n Parris?!?!?!"

Arroyo is far superior to anything Steve Parris.

I still hate Steve Parris for that game, btw.

dabvu2498
07-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Lots of other choices to hate for that game...

Cincinnati Reds AB R H RBI BB SO PO A
Reese 2b 3 0 1 0 1 0 3 5
Larkin ss 3 0 0 0 1 1 1 3
Casey 1b 4 0 0 0 0 2 13 0
Vaughn lf 3 0 0 0 1 2 3 0
Young rf 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Hammonds cf 3 0 1 0 0 0 2 0
Taubensee c 2 0 0 0 1 0 5 1
Boone 3b 3 0 0 0 0 1 0 2
Parris p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Neagle p 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1
Stynes ph 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Graves p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
Lewis ph 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Reyes p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Totals 28 0 2 0 4 7 27 15

Leiter was nails that night... maybe the best I've ever seen in person.

ochre
07-17-2006, 02:27 PM
God I hope not, b/c all I could think when Parris was named the starter of the 1 game playoff against the Mets was "Steve F'n Parris?!?!?!"

Arroyo is far superior to anything Steve Parris.

he was 11-4 with a 3.50 ERA that year :)

ThatPitchIsDunn
07-17-2006, 02:28 PM
The bullpen on that 99 team was lights out. Scott Williams and Danny Graves were both unhittable.

Don't forget Sully. That guy always seemed to find ways to get out of runners-on-base jams in the 7th and 8th. Ate up a lot of innings in middle relief too.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the 99 team's stats. Willy had 13 wild pitches in 93 innings? Does that seem like a lot to anyone else? Then again, you have electric stuff as young as he was; maybe you don't always know where it's going.

ochre
07-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Don't forget Sully. That guy always seemed to find ways to get out of runners-on-base jams in the 7th and 8th. Ate up a lot of innings in middle relief too.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the 99 team's stats. Willy had 13 wild pitches in 93 innings? Does that seem like a lot to anyone else? Then again, you have electric stuff as young as he was; maybe you don't always know where it's going.
Do you remember watching Taubensee catch? :)

RBA
07-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Totally different Teams. The '99 team swept the Rockies in Colorado. This years team swept the Rockies at home.

ThatPitchIsDunn
07-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Do you remember watching Taubensee catch? :)

:laugh:

I only remembered his .300 hitting I guess.

jimbo
07-17-2006, 02:56 PM

Nowadays, it's almost funny to read the words "Danny Graves" and "unhittable" in the same sentence. You're correct though, the bullpen in 99 was pretty good.

smith288
07-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Personally, I hardly remember that 99 team like the 90 team. The 99 team was yet another squad of hodgepodge vets that failed to make it to the playoffs.

dabvu2498
07-17-2006, 04:09 PM
The 99 team was yet another squad of hodgepodge vets that failed to make it to the playoffs.
You're definition of hodgepodge vets is different than mine.
C Eddie Taubensee 30
1B Sean Casey 24
2B Pokey Reese 26
3B Aaron Boone 26
SS Barry Larkin 35
LF Greg Vaughn 33
CF Mike Cameron 26
RF Michael Tucker 28

Looks like a bunch of "up-and-comers, with the exception of Larkin and Vaughn. (Vaughn had a pretty monster year that year.)

Starting pitching staff, yes... hodgepodge.

Relief staff: only one major contributor was over 30... Stan Belinda (32)... the rest were CL Danny Graves 25
RP Scott Sullivan 28
RP Dennys Reyes 22
RP Scott Williamson 23
RP Gabe White 27

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/1999.shtml

bomarl1969
07-17-2006, 04:31 PM
C Eddie Taubensee-lots of good memories of Taubensee, I met him once
1B Sean Casey-I never really liked this guy, not enough clutch
2B Pokey Reese-One year wonder, could have got Griffey for him straight up
3B Aaron Boone-Really miss this guy, wish he would have made a career in Cincy, oh wait he did!!!
SS Barry Larkin-the best MLB shortstop of his time
LF Greg Vaughn-thank God we had him that year
CF Mike Cameron-wish he could have remained a Red
RF Michael Tucker-Good player, lots of good memories...

Although I liked this team, I like the 06 version much better...This is my favorite Reds team for quite some time now.

Highlifeman21
07-17-2006, 09:02 PM
he was 11-4 with a 3.50 ERA that year :)

And I remember hating him all that year... 99 for Parris is probably THE definition of career year for anyone, minus Brady Anderson and his 50 HR year.

Lots of other choices to hate for that game...

You're right. I had hated Sean Casey before that, and I hated him even more after that game. I wasn't an Aaron Boone fan, but I did jump on the Greg Vaughn bandwagon. I also felt that the 1 game playoff was the beginning of the end for Larkin, and then supposedly Junior tells the front office to resign his boyhood Moeller chum, and we were stuck with an over the hill Barry Larkin at one of the more ridiculous contracts known to man.

Being a Reds fan after that game until the emergence of Adam Dunn has been hard.

fisch11
07-17-2006, 09:54 PM

Last year's Indian's bullpen was much better, however.

fisch11
07-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Stupid Al Leiter in that stupid playoff tie breaker game. Stupid Mets. And stupid losses in dreary Milwaukee.