PDA

View Full Version : Which current/just retired players do you see becoming a ML manager?

RBA
07-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Use your crystal ball and tell us who you think may become a ML manager in the future and why.

Not my list......
A member of the Boone family perhaps?
Junior, a MLB manager?
Rich Aurilia? He knows how to plaly the game.
Barry Larkin? Eric Davis? Jason Larue? etc
Chris Denorfia, after all he is a legend in fantansy baseball minds.

I thought this might be a good topic of discussion instead of all the Reds/Nat trade threads.

RedFanAlways1966
07-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Hard for me to imagine any former player in this age doing it. They have all made so much money as players... no reason to get bogged down with a JOB. Players in the past needed income once their playing days were over and tried to catch on as a coach or even a manager. I can see career minor-leaguer types or cup-of-coffee in the MLs types doing it (Dave Miley).

RBA
07-17-2006, 05:00 PM
I don't think it's always about the money.

But in that case, how about someone not as well-paid like a Ryan Freel. Granted he has to learn to set an example, but than again Billy Martin wasn't a saint either.

2001MUgrad
07-17-2006, 05:48 PM
I always thought Larkin would have. I think he burned a lot of bridges in baseball particularly in Cincinnati. I think he'd have a hard time finding interest, although, Jimbo might hire him for that role?

tripleaaaron
07-17-2006, 06:11 PM
I always thought Larkin would have. I think he burned a lot of bridges in baseball particularly in Cincinnati. I think he'd have a hard time finding interest, although, Jimbo might hire him for that role?
Maybe, but Castellini loves the old reds, he may not care about what went on with the past owners, it seems like they just didn't want the vets around, as seen by Castellinis past camp w/ Mario Soto Browning and others talking and working w/ pitchers, we may see Larkin coaching a hige fan of his, Brandon Phillips into his starting SS role this off-season

boognish
07-17-2006, 06:21 PM
A disproportionately high percentage of managers come from the catching ranks; for that reason, I think Ausmus and Matheny will be on the fast track considering their longevity in MLB and their reputation as "game managers."

Granted, the ranks aren't as heavily sprinkled with former catchers as in the past, but all the same, if picking a current player as "most likely," for my money it would have to be a catcher.

RedLegSuperStar
07-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Cal Ripken - soaked up a lot of knowledge from his dad and has helped kids learn the fundamentals to the game.

vic715
07-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Robin Yount comes to mind as he seems to be a well respected guy in baseball and he still loves being in the dugout as a coach and teacher to the young guys like Weeks and Hardy.I always thought someone would give Chris Chambliss a shot.

savafan
07-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Mark Grace, Eddie Taubensee, Sean Casey just to name a few

redsmetz
07-17-2006, 08:23 PM
I said in the Reggie Reggie Reggie thread that I've always thought he'd make a good manager.

Team Clark
07-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Ripken, Dempsey, Yount and Molitor

max venable
07-17-2006, 09:19 PM
George Grande nominates Jim Edmonds :luvu:

goreds2
07-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Tracy Jones :D

RBA
07-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Tracy Jones :D

Of course. The answer seems clear now. :evil: :beerme:

Dunner44
07-17-2006, 11:34 PM
I read Dempsey, thought "Dempster" and almost crapped my pants before re-reading for clarity...

Jerry was a catcher too, was he not? And that wacky Boone feller. I guess being a catcher isn't enough by itself...

BuckWoody
07-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Seems like Pudge Rodriguez would make a good manager. Craig Biggio possibly.

I'd like to put in a vote for Manny Ramirez for least likely. :)

redsupport
07-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Jose Guillen because of his placid deportment and calm visage

jmcclain19
07-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Seems like Pudge Rodriguez would make a good manager.

Heh (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20030204&content_id=196027&vkey=spt2003news&fext=.jsp)

"Alright - attention pitchers. From here on out you will throw nothing but fastballs. I will not have bases stolen against this club..."

Although I do think that Biggio would make quite the manager.

Although I do fear a him butting heads with anyone on the club who doesn't play thru pain.

Gary Carter is working his way thru the Mets system, I'd say he's destined to be a big league manager any day now. And I lost a lot of respect for Mike Schmidt when he talked the big game about being a big league manager, even getting in a huff over not being considered for openings, but quit after one season in A ball. Mark Grace had the same issue. He wanted the Dbacks job the last time it was open, but the club told him to go get some experience first, even offering him a spot in A ball to be a manager, and he turned it down. When I hear stories like that, guys who want the big job but who won't go put in the time at the lower levels, I doubt they have the dedication to be a good manager. They're enamored with the idea of being the manager rather than what it actually takes to become one.

Jay Bell is the Dbacks bench coach and they rave about him here in Phoenix, I wonder if he'll get a shot before too long.

If there is a god, Bucky Dent and Aaron Boone are destined to become future candidates for the Red Sox position.

BuckWoody
07-18-2006, 12:43 AM
Heh (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20030204&content_id=196027&vkey=spt2003news&fext=.jsp)

"Alright - attention pitchers. From here on out you will throw nothing but fastballs. I will not have bases stolen against this club..."

02/04/2003

Since the signing, a number of reporters quoting unnamed scouts or sources have questioned Rodriguez's health and his ability to call a game. His detractors say he tends to call for fastballs with runners on base so he can have a better chance of throwing out runners.

"This is a bunch of garbage," Torborg says. "I don't know where this stuff comes from. You don't catch 12 years in the league, win 10 Gold Gloves and catch on three teams that won its division if you don't know what you are doing back there."
He seems to make the teams he goes to a little bit better. He's a vocal clubhouse leader who, after this article, helped lead the Marlins to a World Series title. He signed with Detroit in a move most thought was strange at best. They seem to be doing well now too and he's helped settle down a young maturing pitching staff.

It's all just a matter of opinion but I still think he would make a good manager.

crazybob60
07-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Robin Yount comes to mind as he seems to be a well respected guy in baseball and he still loves being in the dugout as a coach and teacher to the young guys like Weeks and Hardy.I always thought someone would give Chris Chambliss a shot.

When I first read this, two names popped into my mind right away, Robin Yount as mentioned here and then just one post below, Eddie Taubensee. Also, I have yet to read the whole thing, but Tony Gwynn also comes to mind. It seems to be guys that hit 3,000 hits also seem to be getting named alot here, nothing wrong with that, they just seem to know how the game is supposed to be played and how to play it.

crazybob60
07-18-2006, 12:52 AM
Also, I don't seem to have read Harold Baines name on here, but I can clearly see him taking over one day, possibly the next choice in ChiSox land once Ozzie messes up one too many times. Am I the only one that seems to feel that Ozzie is a great manager but he isn't one that is going to last for more than 5 seasons, he will eventually mess up with his mouth once again and that will be his demise. That is the feeling that I get and I have a feeling that it will happen probably within the next 2-3 years and I see Harold Baines being a very suitable replacement for him.

Also what bout Eddie Murray. Although he has quite a temper himself, doesn't he?

Wouldn't you also like to see the Cobra Dave Parker a manager as well? He might not be the best one baseball-wise, but I would love to see him in the dugout, albeit maybe even a coach someday.