PDA

View Full Version : Shackelford cleared of all charges

Matt700wlw
07-18-2006, 04:36 PM
I just talked to his agent.....it's all over - he's off the hook.

dabvu2498
07-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Good for him... hopefully justice was served... it happens every now and again.

crazybob60
07-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Good for him, hopefully he can put this behind him and get on with his career.

edabbs44
07-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Wow...wonder if he gets the call soon?

Phhhl
07-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Great news. Presumed innocent. He does a great job against lefties, and could add a lot to the pen. I wonder if Mercker would fetch anything on the trade market?

Jaycint
07-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Good for him, unfortunately other teams abusive fans probably won't see it that way. Assuming that is, that any of them know who he is.

flyer85
07-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Hopefully he's learned his lesson. :runaway:

icehole3
07-18-2006, 04:53 PM
stay off of match.com dude, nothing but trouble.

RedsManRick
07-18-2006, 04:55 PM

I can't look at your avatar and help but think you know what you're talking about.

REDREAD
07-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Figured all along this was something the girl made up the next day when she had "buyer's remorse" :lol:

Glad he was cleared. Although I'm sure it won't get near the headlines it got when he was accused.

Reds4Life
07-18-2006, 05:13 PM
It’s unfortunate that some women use this type of thing as a method of revenge; it makes it more difficult for the women who actually are assaulted.

Even though he’s cleared, this incident will probably follow him the rest of his career, it’s a shame.

Far East
07-18-2006, 05:39 PM
I don't have data on inherited runners, but here are some other comparisons of Shack with Esteban Yan as Reds:

Pitcher ERA BAA WHIP

Shackelford 7.71 .271 1.71

Yan ******3.60 .245 1.33

Team ****4.71 .281 1.41

If management is playing to win now, then why did they release a pitcher whose ERA, BAA, and WHIP are all better than the team average??!!

Matt700wlw
07-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Shackelford statement:

“Today I am grateful and relieved that this issue can finally be put behind me. I have said from the beginning that the claims made against me were absolutely false and I am pleased that the District Attorney's office in Milwaukee, after careful review, agrees that there is no merit to these allegations. I want to thank the District Attorney's office and my attorney for working so hard to resolve this case quickly. I want to apologize to the Cincinnati Reds organization for any negative publicity this may have caused. I hope that any damage to my reputation from this unfortunate incident will not be long lasting, and that I can continue to work hard to help the Cincinnati Reds long into the future.”

oneupper
07-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Shack...get yourself a girlfriend.
These one-nighters with crazy women are harmful to your career.

reds44
07-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Good to hear.

TeamBoone
07-19-2006, 09:53 PM
07-19-2006

Next for Shackelford: Restoring his reputation
By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

Brian Shackelford has his freedom. Now it's just a matter of addressing public perception.

The Milwaukee County District Attorney's office Tuesday decided not to issue any criminal charges against the Reds reliever following his July 6 arrest on suspicion of third-degree sexual assault. Shackelford was arrested early that morning following a Reds-Brewers game at Miller Park after a Milwaukee woman accused him of forcing her to have sexual intercourse without her consent.

He was released from jail several hours later with no bail posted and no charges filed, and his agent expressed confidence that the evidence would show Shackelford had done nothing wrong.

Now that the matter has been resolved with the predicted outcome, the next task for agent Joe Speed is putting the bullet back in the proverbial gun. Shackelford's name was on television and in newspapers all over the country when he was arrested, but how much attention will news that he has been cleared get?

"We'll look into all our options to restore Brian's good name," Speed said Tuesday.

One option would involve exploring some sort of legal action against the woman who made the claim, but Speed said he wasn't sure if his client would go that route.

"Right now, it's safe to say that taking the high road is the course of action that may prevail," Speed said. "Clearly we're all angry. We're angry he was put in this situation, we're angry that there are people out there, regardless of this (no charges being filed), that are going to think differently of Brian because of this."

Assistant District Attorney Ken Berg, who was assigned to the case, did not return phone messages left Tuesday, and the Reds as an organization declined to comment.

Shackelford has not spoken publicly since the incident. Tuesday, the team released a statement from him about the resolution of the case.

"Today I am grateful and relieved that this issue can finally be put behind me," read the statement. "I have said from the beginning that the claims made against me were absolutely false and I am pleased that the District Attorney's office in Milwaukee, after careful review, agrees that there is no merit to these allegations. I want to thank the District Attorney's office and my attorney for working so hard to resolve this case quickly.

"I want to apologize to the Cincinnati Reds organization for any negative publicity this may have caused. I hope that any damage to my reputation from this unfortunate incident will not be long lasting, and that I can continue to work hard to help the Cincinnati Reds long into the future."

When Shackelford was released from jail, the District Attorney scheduled an Aug. 21 meeting to revisit the case, but Speed said Shackelford's attorney asked prosecutors to expedite the process if at all possible, since Shackelford's name had been publicized in connection with the incident.

"We thought they clearly didn't have a case and asked them to act sooner rather than later," said Speed. "They did, and that was helpful considering the public nature of this. It certainly beats waiting 35 days or so for the same result."

The Reds optioned Shackelford to Louisville the day of his arrest, and he has pitched well since returning to Class AAA, allowing one run in four appearances entering Tuesday. Last week's acquisition of left-hander Bill Bray to shore up the Reds' bullpen hurt Shackelford's chances of making it back to Cincinnati this year, but after Tuesday he'll at least be able to pitch without the allegations hanging over his head.
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060719/SPT05/607190324/1027

REDREAD
07-20-2006, 10:17 AM
If life was fair, that woman's picture would be plastered all over the newspapers, with headlines declaring her a liar. Looks like she's going to get off scott free, despite the fact that she tried to ruin Shack's life with her lies.

dabvu2498
07-20-2006, 10:21 AM
If life was fair, that woman's picture would be plastered all over the newspapers, with headlines declaring her a liar. Looks like she's going to get off scott free, despite the fact that she tried to ruin Shack's life with her lies.
It may not have been lies... it's possible that something illegal did happen, but there isn't enough evidence to prove it. It's possible.

If what you're advocating actually happened, no victims of crime would ever come forward.

REDREAD
07-20-2006, 10:31 AM
It may not have been lies... it's possible that something illegal did happen, but there isn't enough evidence to prove it. It's possible.

If what you're advocating actually happened, no victims of crime would ever come forward.

Here's what the lady admited happened (assuming the media reported her comments correctly)

1. Willingly went to his hotel room (after knowing him for only a few hours)
2. Willingly undressed
3. Admited to enjoying it.
4. Got mad at Coffey the next day for not returning her text messages.
5. Then filed charges.

Coffey was clearly the victim here.

I'm not saying that the victims should always be publicized.. I'm just saying it would be nice in a case where the charges are clearly bogus. I mean, that would be a better punishment than Coffey suing her for money. I bet she wouldn't like it if the tables were turned and she was embarrassed in front of the entire country.

bounty37h
07-20-2006, 10:33 AM

Icehole, love that avator man!!!

Jpup
07-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Here's what the lady admited happened (assuming the media reported her comments correctly)

2. Willingly undressed
5. Then filed charges.

I'm not saying that the victims should always be publicized.. I'm just saying it would be nice in a case where the charges are clearly bogus. I mean, that would be a better punishment than Coffey suing her for money. I bet she wouldn't like it if the tables were turned and she was embarrassed in front of the entire country.

Coffey?

dabvu2498
07-20-2006, 10:40 AM

2. Willingly undressed
5. Then filed charges.

Now a whole message board of people thinks Todd Coffey was accused of something. ;) See how easy it is to get facts wrong??? ;)

membengal
07-20-2006, 11:34 AM
If life were fair, deadspin and mainstream media sites would run his exoneration as large as they ran the charges...

Johnny Footstool
07-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Shackelford's agent is named Joe Speed? Joe Speed?

OldRedBuck
07-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Just discovered this board. Excellent place. Great trade thread last week.

I dated a lady from Cincinnati for about a month this spring...and when she found out that I had worked in player development under Jim Bowden, she told me about how Shackelford had been calling her from a Match.com profile she had. She said he was very aggressive and persistent and she didn't go out with him because of his attitude.

Obviously I am glad that the charges went nowhere, but I was not the least surprised that he found himself in the situation.

Let's hope he has learned his lesson.

What's a MLB player doing on an internet site anyways? It's not like the hotels aren't aplenty with "interested" ladies/groupies.

JaxRed
07-20-2006, 12:20 PM
"Here's what the lady admited happened (assuming the media reported her comments correctly)

2. Willingly undressed
5. Then filed charges.

Coffey was clearly the victim here. "

Sounds like Shackelford needs to talk to Coffey....:cool:

Coffeybro
07-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Todd had nothing to do with this.

MartyFan
07-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Just discovered this board. Excellent place. Great trade thread last week.

I dated a lady from Cincinnati for about a month this spring...and when she found out that I had worked in player development under Jim Bowden, she told me about how Shackelford had been calling her from a Match.com profile she had. She said he was very aggressive and persistent and she didn't go out with him because of his attitude.

Obviously I am glad that the charges went nowhere, but I was not the least surprised that he found himself in the situation.

Let's hope he has learned his lesson.

What's a MLB player doing on an internet site anyways? It's not like the hotels aren't aplenty with "interested" ladies/groupies.

So, you worked for "PANTS", Huh?

Wow...this may not be the best place to admit you worked for Bowden... :D

Just kidding...welcome to the board and chime in early and often.