PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we go after A Rod

steig
07-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Just a thought but why don't the Reds make an attempt at trading for A Rod. I know we need pitching and not offense but we do need defense and I still feel that A Rod is the best shortstop in baseball. He clearly needs a change of scenery and a less pressured situation. The Rangers are paying a large chunk of his contract with the Yankees and the Yankees may even pick up more of the contract to the point where he might cost the Reds ~8 - 10 million a year. The offense wouldn't be so hurt if Dunn walked at the end of his contract and if Griffey was hurt or left at the end of his contract. A Rod should be having his peak years right now, so why not take the chance?

JEA
07-18-2006, 06:47 PM
I wonder if the Reds new ownership would shy away from those LTCs because of the way the Griffey thing's worked out. Obviously we're talking apples and oranges (and I truly believe that ARod will retire as one of the game's top 2 or 3 players). But I can't help but think that the "small market" Reds are going to shy away from ever having a huge contract player unless a huge, huge chunk of the salary is paid by someone else.

Jr's Boy
07-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Just a thought but why don't the Reds make an attempt at trading for A Rod. I know we need pitching and not offense but we do need defense and I still feel that A Rod is the best shortstop in baseball. He clearly needs a change of scenery and a less pressured situation. The Rangers are paying a large chunk of his contract with the Yankees and the Yankees may even pick up more of the contract to the point where he might cost the Reds ~8 - 10 million a year. The offense wouldn't be so hurt if Dunn walked at the end of his contract and if Griffey was hurt or left at the end of his contract. A Rod should be having his peak years right now, so why not take the chance?

No way,no how.

Blue
07-18-2006, 10:32 PM
The reunion of Griffey and A-Rod...

... will never happen.

edabbs44
07-18-2006, 10:32 PM
The reunion of Griffey and A-Rod...

... will never happen.
Only if they throw in Unit...the reunion, 10 years late for Cincy.

Krusty
07-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Yankees would ask for Adam Dunn in return.

bottom_feeder
07-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Are the Yankees shopping Arod?

RBA
07-18-2006, 10:42 PM
How about they throw in Joe Torre too?

Blue
07-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Are the Yankees shopping Arod?

Maybe in the offseason. He's too good for a contending team to trade midseason, but he's pretty much a distraction right now.

Cicero
07-18-2006, 11:24 PM
If you are going to spend that kind of money it better be for pitching.

torn rotator
07-19-2006, 07:33 AM

That wouldn't be enough to discourage me...

Redsnake
07-19-2006, 08:09 AM
I think I heard on Mike And Mike that the Rangers are paying $10 million of Arod contract? So if you do the math the Yankees are paying Arod the difference, $15 million.

Just food for thought.

REDREAD
07-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Maybe in the offseason. He's too good for a contending team to trade midseason, but he's pretty much a distraction right now.

I don't follow the Yankees. What is he doing that's a distraction?

marcshoe
07-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Getting booed. A lot.

15fan
07-19-2006, 10:22 AM
he'd be a huge righty bat to sandwich between Dunn & Junior.

With Kearns & Lopez gone Wayne has room to wiggle on the payroll side going forward. If Wayne can find a taker for Milton this offseason (as part of a package for ARod?) then I say it's certainly worth exploring.

marcshoe
07-19-2006, 10:51 AM
It seems silly to discuss such things, but he's one guy I would include Bailey in a package for.

cinredsfan2000
07-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Only way A-rod ends up in cincy is he says he's always wanted to play for the red's. Either that or krivs gives up bailey and everybody else in the farm system of value and even then i 'd find it hard to belive it would be enough to get him in a red's uni.

goreds2
07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
he'd be a huge righty bat to sandwich between Dunn & Junior.

With Kearns & Lopez gone Wayne has room to wiggle on the payroll side going forward. If Wayne can find a taker for Milton this offseason (as part of a package for ARod?) then I say it's certainly worth exploring.

The Yankees would maybe be interested in Milton due to the short right field porch they have against left handed hitters. (No jokes please)

A deal to include Milton, Homer and I would bet the Yankees would want Edwin (on of my favorite players) could be possible. If they could bring A-Rod here with the Yankees and Rangers covering some salary, I say GO FOR IT!

Jpup
07-19-2006, 12:20 PM

OK

Benny-Distefano
07-19-2006, 03:16 PM
IF ARod took a huge paycut, and IF he wanted to play here and IF the Yankess ate a bunch of his salary and IF we gave the Yankees Adam Dunn and more and most importantly, IF elephants suddenly were able to fly,

THEN maybe the Reds would have a "remote" (cue the Red Roof Inn commercial) chance of signing A-Rod

reds44
07-19-2006, 04:25 PM
He'd be benched in favor of Rich because he makes too many errors.

OldRightHander
07-19-2006, 06:51 PM
The first time I glanced at this thread title I was kind of tired and thought it said "Why don't we go after A Red" and it made absolutely no sense to me at all.

registerthis
07-19-2006, 06:56 PM
The first time I glanced at this thread title I was kind of tired and thought it said "Why don't we go after A Red" and it made absolutely no sense to me at all.

Well, we like to go after Eric Milton a lot. Rich Aurilia too. But I'd be fine with going after someone new.

Handofdeath
07-19-2006, 08:02 PM
This board has enough discussion about a certain hitter who can/cannot hit with RISP. We cannot handle two.

kyred14
07-19-2006, 08:23 PM
This board has enough discussion about a certain hitter who can/cannot hit with RISP. We cannot handle two.

Adam Dunn RISP: 1.001 OPS
Alex Rodriguez RISP: 1.000 OPS

An argument to say they cannot hit with RISP doesn't exist.

KronoRed
07-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Adam Dunn RISP: 1.001 OPS
Alex Rodriguez RISP: 1.000 OPS

An argument to say they cannot hit with RISP doesn't exist.
OPS is a fake stat, only bat avg counts :D

steig
07-19-2006, 09:32 PM
OPS is a fake stat, only bat avg counts :D

Billy Beane believes OPS is a real stat and he has supporting evidence that his theories work.

Handofdeath
07-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Billy Beane believes OPS is a real stat and he has supporting evidence that his theories work.

Great bring him over and he can show us his World Series Rin...oops!

The RISP statement was made in jest.

runfreelrun
07-24-2006, 05:40 PM
If the Yankees would do it would you be ok with trading Junior and Edwin Encarnacion to obtain A-Rod. The salaries for A-Rod and Junior almost even out, you get rid of an expensive over the hill centerfielder and acquire last years american league MVP by only really giving away Encarnacion. Though I know that there is no way this trade happens it sure would look great to see A-Rod in a Reds uniform, recent struggles or not.

StillFunkyB
07-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Would I do it?

I dunno. I like Jr, but AROD? I doubt the Yanks deal him. It's intresting.

SMcGavin
07-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Yes, I would do it. A-Rod is one of the five best players in the game, we could move him back to SS, this would be incredible. He is owed $27 million per season over the next 4 years but the Rangers are paying roughly half of it. I would do this trade in a heartbeat, but I can't imagine the Yankees would.

Joseph
07-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Sign me up and turn him into a 1B

Buckeye33
07-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Sign me up and turn him into a 1B

If this pipe dream somehow ever happened, the Reds would be best if they moved him back to SS where he was a gold glove caliber player.

redsfanmia
07-24-2006, 06:14 PM
It would take alot more than JR and EE to get him but if its at all possible I would do it in a minute.

max venable
07-24-2006, 06:25 PM
It would take alot more than JR and EE to get him
My thought exactly. Come on...he's A-Rod. He's a perennial MVP candidate. No way the Yanks let him go for Griff and EE.

dman
07-24-2006, 06:29 PM
My thought exactly. Come on...he's A-Rod. He's a perennial MVP candidate. No way the Yanks let him go for Griff and EE.
So was Jr. at the time we got him

goreds2
07-24-2006, 06:30 PM
If this pipe dream somehow ever happened, the Reds would be best if they moved him back to SS where he was a gold glove caliber player.

I would take him in a second for EE, JR. and.............Joe Mays. :D (I think Homer would have to replace Mr. Mays in the trade)

Seriously, if we could work out a deal, I say go for it as long as Texas and NY covers some of the salary! He would like playing for a smaller market team. :)

KronoRed
07-24-2006, 06:32 PM
The yanks are not that foolish

KronoRed
07-24-2006, 06:33 PM
JR was about to be a FA, he had let everyone on earth know he only wanted to come here..A-Rod would not want to be here.

registerthis
07-24-2006, 06:40 PM

When ARod hangs a sign on his locker that says "Cincinnati or bust" get back with me.

Rob Dicken
07-24-2006, 07:22 PM
If the Yankees would do it would you be ok with trading Junior and Edwin Encarnacion to obtain A-Rod. The salaries for A-Rod and Junior almost even out, you get rid of an expensive over the hill centerfielder and acquire last years american league MVP by only really giving away Encarnacion. Though I know that there is no way this trade happens it sure would look great to see A-Rod in a Reds uniform, recent struggles or not.

No. We don't NEED him. We have great players right now, and trading off one of your key power hitters and future star third basemen, wouldn't be the best thing to do, in my opinion. Keep who we have on the field, gain some new pitching (essentially another starter and another relief pitcher.), and we SHOULD have a pretty solid team.

BTW, Griffey makes 12.5 million a year....A-Rod makes 27 million. They don't cancel each other out by a long shot.

smith288
07-24-2006, 07:26 PM
BTW, Griffey makes 12.5 million a year....A-Rod makes 27 million. They don't cancel each other out by a long shot.

How much of that is the Rangers covering and how much of that could we dupe the Yanks to cover?

Rob Dicken
07-24-2006, 07:30 PM
How much of that is the Rangers covering and how much of that could we dupe the Yanks to cover?

Good question. I still wouldn't do it though. How long do you think A-Rod would stay in Cincinnati? 1-2 years? If we don't have the pitching, his bat still isn't going to make a difference. And I believe, this year especially, A-Rod has struggled in clutch situations.....

RedEye
07-24-2006, 07:31 PM
I agree with Rob Dicken. Acquiring A-Rod, while it would generate a lot of press and probably make us all feel good for a few days, would then have us under his contract for the next few years. The Rangers have already proven that you can't win with that big of a contract on a position player and no money invested in quality pitching. Even if A-Rod were available and the Yanks were willing to trade him for some of our players (highly unlikely), I think Wayne would be unwilling to consider it without getting rid of both our albatrosses Griff AND Milton. To put this in perspective, their combined contracts together would STILL not equal A-Rod's. And so, we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot once again. And there's no way that's going to happen... I hope.

Phil in BG
07-24-2006, 08:10 PM
The Rangers are paying approximately 10 million of his 25 million dollar yearly salary.

IslandRed
07-24-2006, 08:45 PM
The Rangers have already proven that you can't win with that big of a contract on a position player and no money invested in quality pitching.

When Rodriguez was with the Rangers, Hicks was ponying up for $100 million-plus payrolls. They spent plenty on pitching. They just spent it so badly that it would have made Dan O'Brien look halfway competent in comparison.

Having said that, unless one of the previous employers was kicking in a huge chunk like Phil was saying, I don't see how that contract could work here.

savafan
07-24-2006, 08:46 PM
I'd trade Griffey, EE and Homer for ARod. I don't care how much potential Homer has, when you have a chance at an ARod, you make the deal.

RedEye
07-24-2006, 09:02 PM
I'd trade Griffey, EE and Homer for ARod. I don't care how much potential Homer has, when you have a chance at an ARod, you make the deal.

We have no chance at getting A-Rod. But I was thinking we might be able to land Liriano and Santana from the Twins... perhaps EdE, Homer, Freel and Coffey for those two? :evil:

KalDanielsfan
07-24-2006, 10:32 PM
For the love of God please, stop sounding like sonsofsamhorn.com....dont act like a red sox fan..what is wrong with you people? Fans are the most hypocritical people on the planet right now.

You ***** and moan when a player shows no "loyalty" yet what loyalty do you show? How quickly do you lose your memory? Half of you are ingrates. Griffey may not be an MVP this year, and is getting older, but he's still better than 85% of the league.

he's a hall of famer.

stfu everyone and lets enjoy the core players on this team.

thank god we didnt have internet message boards during the 1990 Reds run..you guys would've called for Billy Hatcher and Browning to be traded for another "bat" or SP!

This califoronia heat is making me cranky..sorry

CTA513
07-24-2006, 10:41 PM
For the love of God please, stop sounding like sonsofsamhorn.com....dont act like a red sox fan..what is wrong with you people? Fans are the most hypocritical people on the planet right now.

You ***** and moan when a player shows no "loyalty" yet what loyalty do you show? How quickly do you lose your memory? Half of you are ingrates. Griffey may not be an MVP this year, and is getting older, but he's still better than 85% of the league.

he's a hall of famer.

thank god we didnt have internet message boards during the 1990 Reds run..you guys would've called for Billy Hatcher and Browning to be traded for another "bat" or SP!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g205/CTA513/tissue.gif

alloverjr
07-24-2006, 10:50 PM

he's a hall of famer.

I couldn't give 2 squirts about loyalty. Doesn't matter who the players are. Rotate 'em out every year and I'd still root for the same team. I'm not huge on a dream of jumping on A-rod, but I'd give up Griffey for much less if it meant dumping the contract.

And...I only "stfu" when my wife tells me to.

MaineRed
07-24-2006, 10:55 PM
If I was BC and WK, I'd be on the phone gauging the Yankees interest in trading A-Rod, I know that.

The Reds and A-Rod would potentially be a match made in heaven. Who knows what kind of astronomical numbers he would put up at GABP and he would be able to go back to his natural position. The Reds would stand to gain

If I was Wayne, I'd see what they thought of Bailey, Bruce and Aurillia. I might get laughed off the phone, but you have to start somewhere.

Griffey is not going anywhere. He is a 10/5 player.

I also wouldn't trade Edwin as he would look real nice next to A-Rod. The Yanks would need a third basemen if they trade A-Rod, but we'll have the same problem if we trade Edwin.

If your the Reds, your looking to steal A-Rod from the Yanks, hoping they just want to end the experiment with him. If they are out to get "equal value" the Reds simply can't get involved.

Equal value would probably be: Edwin, Dunn and Bailey. No GM is giving up that.

Aronchis
07-24-2006, 11:00 PM
If I was BC and WK, I'd be on the phone gauging the Yankees interest in trading A-Rod, I know that.

The Reds and A-Rod would potentially be a match made in heaven. Who knows what kind of astronomical numbers he would put up at GABP and he would be able to go back to his natural position. Imagine hiim between Dunn and Griffey as well.

If I was Wayne, I'd see what they thought of Bailey, Bruce and Aurillia. I might get laughed off the phone, but you have to start somewhere.

A match made in heaven? Yeah right. He will be a Yank for a long time yet.

MaineRed
07-24-2006, 11:03 PM
I didn't say he wouldn't be. But the gets booed a lot, he appears uncomfortable and 3B and he doesn't hit in the clutch (big market?).

With the Reds he probably would not get booed, he could play SS and he would absolutely rip in the Reds home park. The Reds payroll would go up but so would the value of the franchise. It POTENTIALLY could be a win/win.

I didn't say he would be a Red. Or that he won't be a Yankee.

Ligthen up.

smith288
07-24-2006, 11:19 PM

he's a hall of famer.

And you are???? Pfff.

tripleaaaron
07-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Texas is covering a little over $10 mil for a-rod, his salary from NY is a little more than $15 Million, so they could offset each other if the yanks throw in about 5 mil, or we could make it Larue and aurillia plus a prospect instead of EE and that would offset

goreds2
07-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Thank god we didnt have internet message boards during the 1990 Reds run..you guys would've called for Billy Hatcher and Browning to be traded for another "bat" or SP!

With all due respect, the heat MUST be getting to you. Billy Hatcher AND Tom Browning were already our "bat" and starting pitcher that year. Hatcher was the reason we could place Eric Davis in left field to reduce injury to him. Turn that air on tonight. :)

(It's cool to have a Reds fan in California)

KalDanielsfan
07-25-2006, 03:16 AM
With all due respect, the heat MUST be getting to you. Billy Hatcher AND Tom Browning were already our "bat" and starting pitcher that year. Hatcher was the reason we could place Eric Davis in left field to reduce injury to him. Turn that air on tonight. :)

(It's cool to have a Reds fan in California)

they were struggling near the trading deadline when all of a sudden in september Billy started heating up and Browning (wiht a sore elbow that year) finally started to get in a groove as well.

KalDanielsfan
07-25-2006, 03:17 AM
And you are???? Pfff.

no worse or more special than you bro. its an internet chat board. get over yourself.

dman
07-25-2006, 07:59 AM
no worse or more special than you bro. its an internet chat board. get over yourself.

And you are???? Pfff.

He's a probably some 5'2" white male balding significantly with a tiny body part who comes to message boards to post his irate crap to counter his little man syndrome.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 11:09 AM
He's a probably some 5'2" white male balding significantly with a tiny body part who comes to message boards to post his irate crap to counter his little man syndrome.

You just described 3/4 of the members of this board. :laugh:

dman
07-25-2006, 12:26 PM
You just described 3/4 of the members of this board. :laugh:
Actually, I didn't. these posts by this Kal Daniels Fan, or whoever they are, are typically rare. I hope that post that I made doesn't get me dinged, but it's a sacrifice I was willing to make

FutureRedsGM
07-25-2006, 02:42 PM
I had to make sure that I clarified my thread title. I didn't want anyone to read this thinking this actual actual news on a trade . . .

Anyway - I would hate to see the Reds strapped with another Griffey like contract but if we could wave our magic wands and make it happen, how cool would it be to see 2 of the 50 greatest players of the century on the sme team (again). Think about an line-up that looks like this next year:

1. Deno RF
2. B-Phil 2B
3. Griffey CF
4. A-Rod SS
5. Dunn LF
6. EE 3B
7. Hatteburg (or Votto) 1B
8. Catcher
9. Pitcher

So what would it take to woo the Yanks? I think you would have to completely replenish their farm system and give them a starting pitcher for this year's run. It would look something like:

Milton, Bailey, Bruce, (3) 2nd tier prospects.

Yes, I know that would deplete the Reds farm system and it is a terrible idea, but the thought of that line-up mashing every night is very intriguing. Plus, there would be a huge increase in ticket and merchandise sales.

crazybob60
07-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I think that if the Yankees were going to pull the trigger on this deal with the Reds, yes we would possibly have to give up the majority of our few prospects in the minors but I also don't think that this deal would happen for the Reds unless you would see Griffey in pinstripes afterwards.

markymark69
07-25-2006, 02:52 PM
It's O.K. to dream, but A-Rod to the Reds unfortunately is a just that, a dream.