PDA

View Full Version : A glimpse of the future

OldRightHander
07-18-2006, 09:54 PM
So I took a little trip in my time machine (a lot of guys on the internet do that these days) and I found the following article from a future edition of the Enquirer. It shows us what we have to look forward to.

Milestone Homer Sparks Comeback

Reds veteran slugger setting new standard

Cincinnati Enquirer

July 18, 2021

CINCINNATI, OHAdam Dunn added to his all time career home run record last night with a game tying blast in the ninth inning, the 800th of his career. The homer came with two outs in the eighth inning with runners on second and third and the Reds trailing by 3.

The way the first seven innings transpired, it did not seem likely that Dunn's heroics would be needed. Veteran starter Homer Bailey showed signs of his old form, going seven strong innings and giving up one run on four hits with a walk and nine strikeouts. He left the game with a the Reds leading 4-1 and seemed to be in line for his 10th win of the season.

That was until the Cardinals exploded for six runs off the Reds bullpen in the top of the 8th inning. The rally was capped off by a bases loaded walk and a grand slam, drawing a chorus of boos from the frustrated fans.

But as they have done so many times over the years, the Reds rallied. A double by Wilson and a single by Phillips put runners on the corners for Dunn. He fell behind in the count, but fouled off several pitches before hitting a line drive into the seats under the power stacks to tie the game. "The pitcher left one out over the plate and I just put a good swing on it. Hitting by 800th homer is great, but I'm just glad it helped the team.", Dunn told Steve Stewart after the game.

The momentum continued in the ninth inning after the Cardinals went out in order in the top of the inning. Denorfia lead off the inning with a double into the right field corner and scored the winning run on a pinch hit single by Julio Franco. Franco, in the 10th and final year of his contract is expected to announce his retirement at the end of the season. When asked to comment on the game winning hit by Franco, manager Barry Larkin said, "Julio has been a great veteran presence on this team. He is a real professional who does all the little things right and really knows how to win."

keeganbrick
07-18-2006, 10:02 PM
So I took a little trip in my time machine (a lot of guys on the internet do that these days) and I found the following article from a future edition of the Enquirer. It shows us what we have to look forward to.

Milestone Homer Sparks Comeback

Reds veteran slugger setting new standard

Cincinnati Enquirer

July 18, 2021

CINCINNATI, OHAdam Dunn added to his all time career home run record last night with a game tying blast in the ninth inning, the 800th of his career. The homer came with two outs in the eighth inning with runners on second and third and the Reds trailing by 3.

The way the first seven innings transpired, it did not seem likely that Dunn's heroics would be needed. Veteran starter Homer Bailey showed signs of his old form, going seven strong innings and giving up one run on four hits with a walk and nine strikeouts. He left the game with a the Reds leading 4-1 and seemed to be in line for his 10th win of the season.

That was until the Cardinals exploded for six runs off the Reds bullpen in the top of the 8th inning. The rally was capped off by a bases loaded walk and a grand slam, drawing a chorus of boos from the frustrated fans.

But as they have done so many times over the years, the Reds rallied. A double by Wilson and a single by Phillips put runners on the corners for Dunn. He fell behind in the count, but fouled off several pitches before hitting a line drive into the seats under the power stacks to tie the game. "The pitcher left one out over the plate and I just put a good swing on it. Hitting by 800th homer is great, but I'm just glad it helped the team.", Dunn told Steve Stewart after the game.

The momentum continued in the ninth inning after the Cardinals went out in order in the top of the inning. Denorfia lead off the inning with a double into the right field corner and scored the winning run on a pinch hit single by Julio Franco. Franco, in the 10th and final year of his contract is expected to announce his retirement at the end of the season. When asked to comment on the game winning hit by Franco, manager Barry Larkin said, "Julio has been a great veteran presence on this team. He is a real professional who does all the little things right and really knows how to win."
I love it.

RBA
07-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the recap. I couldn't tell what was going on by listening to Joe Nuxall on the radio. Except for the Dunn homerun call, I think it maybe time for Joe to hang it up.

VWRED
07-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Very Good!!!!!!!!!