PDA

View Full Version : I'm not one to dwell on old Reds players...

Wheelhouse
07-18-2006, 10:33 PM
...but Kearns/Lopez 1 for 9 with another 8 men left on base 3 Ks and no RBI. Not to revel in those guys not playing well, but I think in the end Krivsky is going to come out looking a lot better than some people think.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-18-2006, 10:39 PM
I've been paying attention to their numbers as well, and they haven't been any where near "good," but there's still a whole lot of time left for the players on each side of the deal to prove themselves.

TeamBoone
07-19-2006, 11:00 PM
I think it's a bit unfair to attempt to judge them at this short juncture. After they settle in, they'll be fine.

BoomerSoonerRed
07-20-2006, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I'm rooting for them to succeed in Washington. 'Cept when they play us, of course.;)

Fullboat
07-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Don't know if Lopez or Kearns are good friends or not, but can
you imagine those two sitting in the Reds visiting dugout earlier this year thinking "Man I would sure hate playing for this Nats team and in this park".:eek:

Chip R
07-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Speaking of old Reds players, I saw Aaron Boone hit his 5th HR of the year last night. I thought I was seeing things for a while but later on they showed it again and, sure enough, he only has 5 HRs this year. Now I do not necessarily think that a guy has to have 25 HRs to be a successful player but, my goodness has he slipped. How would you like to be paying $7M, $8M for that production? Also, this morning, the Enquirer had an article on Hatteberg and compared his stats to Sean Caseys. Case only has a little over 20 RBIs this year. Now I know the man has been hurt but Mr. Hat is only a part time player himself.

Steve4192
07-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Kearns+Lopez = 44 AB, 5 hits, 2 runs, 1 RBI, 3 errors, 469 OPS

Clayton = 14 AB, 6 hits, 2 runs, 4 RBI, 1 error, 1000 OPS

princeton
07-20-2006, 09:56 AM
I've no doubt that Kearns and Lopez will hit for the Nats. If you want to base the value of the trade to the Reds upon how they hit, then you'll be disappointed.

5-1 is the key number for the Reds right now. That may not be because of the trade, but it does indicate that the Reds still might be in a contending position, and therefore fixing the bullpen this season and not waiting until next year was an important thing to do.

Redsnake
07-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Add in Denorfia and the stats look like an advantage Reds.

Since the trade stats:
Total AB Hits Runs RBI SB Avg.
Lopez/Kearns 44 5 2 1 2 .113

Deno/Clayton 32 10 2 6 2 .313

TeamBoone
07-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Don't know if Lopez or Kearns are good friends or not, but can
you imagine those two sitting in the Reds visiting dugout earlier this year thinking "Man I would sure hate playing for this Nats team and in this park".:eek:

Ironically, they haven't even played at "home" yet!

REDREAD
07-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Well, on the flip side, I don't think either of the relievers we've gotten has made a positive contribution yet. Although I might've missed an appearance.

Of course, that doesn't mean they won't or the trade sucks, but it's silly to justify the trade this early based on a few games.

maniem
07-20-2006, 06:44 PM
I feel bad for Kearns, as I would like to see the guy succeed. I have a feeling that he might to continue to hit well, but his slugging will drop big time...I hope he ends up playing in hitter's park, playing in RFK will not help his value...

Shaggy Sanchez
07-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Well to be fair if we are going to look at what Kearns and Lopez have done we might as well point this out.

Majewski 0-1 2ip 5er 22.50era

oneupper
07-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I feel bad for Kearns, as I would like to see the guy succeed. I have a feeling that he might to continue to hit well, but his slugging will drop big time...I hope he ends up playing in hitter's park, playing in RFK will not help his value...

Don't totally agree. AK gets a lot a SLG% from doubles down the lines. HRs are mostly right or pulled left. He lose some, but doubt it's Guillen-esque.

M2
07-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, on the flip side, I don't think either of the relievers we've gotten has made a positive contribution yet. Although I might've missed an appearance.

Of course, that doesn't mean they won't or the trade sucks, but it's silly to justify the trade this early based on a few games.

Amen.

RedEye
07-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Aren't the Nats building a new stadium for next year? I'll bet Bowden will make sure it's small so that his tools guys can shine. *Sigh*

Chip R
07-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Aren't the Nats building a new stadium for next year? I'll bet Bowden will make sure it's small so that his tools guys can shine. *Sigh*

It is a few years down the road. And it is Washington D.C., not only the capital of our nation but the capital of red tape. Any little thing could delay that stadium for months. I would say they would be lucky if they are in there by 2010.

M2
07-20-2006, 07:36 PM
I've no doubt that Kearns and Lopez will hit for the Nats. If you want to base the value of the trade to the Reds upon how they hit, then you'll be disappointed.

5-1 is the key number for the Reds right now. That may not be because of the trade, but it does indicate that the Reds still might be in a contending position, and therefore fixing the bullpen this season and not waiting until next year was an important thing to do.

Double amen.

DeadRedinCT
07-20-2006, 07:37 PM

But it's "o.k." to pan the trade within minutes of it being consummated and posted on Redszone?

Or to have in one's signature a quote from Bowden, referencing how he stole Kearns and Lopez from the Reds?

Mr. Pot meet Mr. Kettle.

M2
07-20-2006, 07:42 PM
But it's "o.k." to pan the trade within minutes of it being consummated and posted on Redszone?

I'd say there's a fairly massive diffence between making an evaluation based on large reams of data and extended observation vs. one made on a handful of games and no observation.

westofyou
07-20-2006, 07:45 PM

Or to have in one's signature a quote from Bowden, referencing how he stole Kearns and Lopez from the Reds?

Mr. Pot meet Mr. Kettle.
Pimping Jim Bowden' s wisdom is just plain funny.

Matt700wlw
07-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Kearns+Lopez = 44 AB, 5 hits, 2 runs, 1 RBI, 3 errors, 469 OPS

Clayton = 14 AB, 6 hits, 2 runs, 4 RBI, 1 error, 1000 OPS

I think "small sample size" is probably a safe bet :)

Ltlabner
07-20-2006, 07:48 PM
I'd say there's a fairly massive diffence between making an evaluation based on large reams of data and extended observation vs. one made on a handful of games and no observation.

I agree M2 but there were a host of posts mades within seconds of the announcement of the trade. Some folks didn't even wait till Kriv's press conference to lambast it. I don't think much "evaluation on large reams of data" or "extended observation" can be made on a trade of this size within seconds of it's first announcement. Especially when the folks I would trust to have the stats of all these players in their heads were NOT the ones making these rash claims.

That being said, the debate that took place on the day after the trade was fantastic. That was knowledgable debate and I loved it.

M2
07-20-2006, 07:55 PM
I agree M2 but there were a host of posts mades within seconds of the announcement of the trade. Some folks didn't even wait till Kriv's press conference to lambast it. I don't think much "evaluation on large reams of data" or "extended observation" can be made on a trade of this size within seconds of it's first announcement. Especially when the folks I would trust to have the stats of all these players in their heads were NOT the ones making these rash claims.

That being said, the debate that took place on the day after the trade was fantastic. That was knowledgable debate and I loved it.

I can't speak for everyone one, but Kearns and Lopez we all knew. If you were familiar with the five guys in the return (and I'm guessing a lot of people were), then I see no reason why you'd have to wait for a press conference.

Ltlabner
07-20-2006, 07:58 PM
If you were familiar with the five guys in the return (and I'm guessing a lot of people were), then I see no reason why you'd have to wait for a press conference.

Bray...who had been called up last month? The two minor league prospects, especially the guy in low A ball? Clayton, ok. Magic....ok. I highly doubt "a lot of people" knew chapter and verse on these guys.

Beyond the raw numbers, there was no consideration at all about the bigger picture, the long term ramifications, the philispohical change in management, etc. None of that was fleshed out in the first 20 minutes after the first news came out.

M2
07-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Bray...who had been called up last month? The two minor league prospects, especially the guy in low A ball? Clayton, ok. Magic....ok. I highly doubt "a lot of people" knew chapter and verse on these guys.

Beyond the raw numbers, there was no consideration at all about the bigger picture, the long term ramifications, the philispohical change in management, etc. None of that was fleshed out in the first 20 minutes after the first news came out.

Bray was a first round pick and fairly notable because he was considered a reach.

Harris has been kicked around here in the past, particularly when the Nats signed Vinny Castilla. I'd guess plenty of folks had seen the Nats' top 10 prospects list and once you've learned about his injury woes it becomes clear Thompson's a pure flyer.

And when you spend as much time in the "Redszone" as many of the posters here, the big picture and philosophical stuff isn't that hard to process. I know in my case, the second I heard about the trade I first was staggered over how bad the big picture ramifications seemed and wondered if I had missed something. After some quick reflection (and now lengthier reflection), I'm comfortable my initial reaction was spot on. :devil:

Ltlabner
07-20-2006, 08:17 PM
And when you spend as much time in the "Redszone" as many of the posters here, the big picture and philosophical stuff isn't that hard to process. I know in my case, the second I heard about the trade I first was staggered over how bad the big picture ramifications seemed and wondered if I had missed something. After some quick reflection (and now lengthier reflection), I'm comfortable my initial reaction was spot on.

Sorry man, this is a bunch of fluff. First, there are a number of posters here who's grasp of the big picture consists of "Narron sucks" and "EE is God". (Exhibit A: either game thread).

Second, I find it laughable that no matter how many years you spend posting on any website that you can reaonably consider any and all ramifications of a trade within several minutes of it's announcement. You can have a gut reaction to it, and your right is to hate it right away. But to say you've considered all the possibilities within a few seconds doesn't qualify as "indepth analysis" in my book.

Lastly, I am still in amazement that people here insist they know exactly what is going through Kriv's mind and the direction he is taking this team. Do you have an inside source we don't know about? Do you have his office bugged? Does he send you email updates on his current plans? The general public is not privy to hardly any of the real information that is going on behind the sceens. That doesn't mean you can't make educated guesses as to the direction he is heading, but come on, how arrogant is it to act as if you really know all the long term plans that are being put into place and can rattle them off within minutes of any 8 player trade?

You have every right to blast a trade within seconds of it being made, but I have just as much right to call that "analysis" foolish without any time to think it through, discussion to consider facts you may have overlooked or (most importantly) knowing more than the information made available to the general public.

realreds1
07-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Sorry man, this is a bunch of fluff. First, there are a number of posters here who's grasp of the big picture consists of "Narron sucks" and "EE is God". (Exhibit A: either game thread).

Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU for saying that. The EE nut-swinging is getting ridiculous, especially. Sure, I'd like to see the kid play. But it's becoming cult-like obsessive and obnoxious.

TeamBoone
07-20-2006, 08:34 PM
I read Redszone consistently; I read Reds articles consistently and keep up with the stories behind the baseball headlines... but I do not follow every single team closely. Except for Majewski and Clayton, I had no idea who the others were.

joshnky
07-20-2006, 09:47 PM

I totally agree with you. I want EE to play every day just like anyone else but this obsession is just too much and its dominating the game threads and many other threads as well. Lets just remember that Narron is the coach not us and if Krivsky and Castellini think he's not cutting it he'll be gone. It would be cheaper to cut him lose than some of the players we've DFA'd.

Okay, lets all find something else to obsess about. I don't know, maybe something positive like the fact that the Reds are in first place in the WC?

Cedric
07-20-2006, 09:49 PM
I totally agree with you. I want EE to play every day just like anyone else but this obsession is just too much and its dominating the game threads and many other threads as well. Lets just remember that Narron is the coach not us and if Krivsky and Castellini think he's not cutting it he'll be gone. It would be cheaper to cut him lose than some of the players we've DFA'd.

Okay, lets all find something else to obsess about. I don't know, maybe something positive like the fact that the Reds are in first place in the WC?

I'm on Edwins nuts.

Who's with me?

LINEDRIVER
07-20-2006, 09:56 PM
Speaking of old Reds players, I saw Aaron Boone hit his 5th HR of the year last night. I thought I was seeing things for a while but later on they showed it again and, sure enough, he only has 5 HRs this year. Now I do not necessarily think that a guy has to have 25 HRs to be a successful player but, my goodness has he slipped. How would you like to be paying $7M, $8M for that production? Also, this morning, the Enquirer had an article on Hatteberg and compared his stats to Sean Caseys. Case only has a little over 20 RBIs this year. Now I know the man has been hurt but Mr. Hat is only a part time player himself.

I heard on radio a few days ago that 2B Ronnie Belliard was taking grounders at 3B lately because Indians' mgr Eric Wedge is not happy with Boone's defensive play this season as in too many errors. Probably a ploy to have Boone remove his head from his ---.

Shaggy Sanchez
07-20-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm on Edwins nuts.

Who's with me?

Well as long as we're on his nuts and not under them then you can count me in.

TeamBoone
07-20-2006, 10:29 PM

I love that the Reds are playing well, and I really hope they continue to do so but I wasn't pleased with the way they were unable to take advantage of all the opportunites they had today.

Truthfully, I'm more glad that they're only a few games back in their division than I am that they are leading the WC. I truly believe they can make up the difference to take the lead and even put a bit of space between them and a different second place team.

Despite that though, I will continue to obsess about RA batting in the clean-up spot. I hate it, hate it, hate it... just hate it!

That said, I really want to see the new Miami Vice movie.

M2
07-21-2006, 12:16 AM

Second, I find it laughable that no matter how many years you spend posting on any website that you can reaonably consider any and all ramifications of a trade within several minutes of it's announcement. You can have a gut reaction to it, and your right is to hate it right away. But to say you've considered all the possibilities within a few seconds doesn't qualify as "indepth analysis" in my book.

Lastly, I am still in amazement that people here insist they know exactly what is going through Kriv's mind and the direction he is taking this team. Do you have an inside source we don't know about? Do you have his office bugged? Does he send you email updates on his current plans? The general public is not privy to hardly any of the real information that is going on behind the sceens. That doesn't mean you can't make educated guesses as to the direction he is heading, but come on, how arrogant is it to act as if you really know all the long term plans that are being put into place and can rattle them off within minutes of any 8 player trade?

You have every right to blast a trade within seconds of it being made, but I have just as much right to call that "analysis" foolish without any time to think it through, discussion to consider facts you may have overlooked or (most importantly) knowing more than the information made available to the general public.

First, there's a number of folks here whose grasp of the game extends well beyond throwaway lines.

Second, people are as quick as they are. Doesn't take a genius to figure out Majewski's got serious ball in play issues, that Bray's not fully cooked, that Clayton's Clayton, that Harris has a bench player ceiling and that Thompson may never pitch a major league game.

Third, got to be honest with you, I'm not real interested in what goes on in Wayne Krivsky's mind. Haven't made any such claims. What I do know is that the Reds have less overall talent to get the things they need than they did before the trade and that, IMO, the bullpen problem hasn't been anywhere near adequately addressed. Doesn't really matter to me what Krivsky's long-term plans are. Whatever they may be, he's got less options in terms of performing that makeover.

Fourth, I've heard the "you don't know all the ramifications" accusation ad infinitum over the years after deals go down. It's always a veil for why you have to fall in line with whatever the team has done and like whatever deal has just been made. I heard it when the Reds got Dave Williams. I heard it when the Reds got Ramon Ortiz. When the Reds got Bronson Arroyo, and I liked the deal, my response to critics wasn't to insist they're too ignorant to form a solid opinion or to put an arbitrary clock on how long it should take to reach said informed opinion, I made the case for Arroyo.

There's some peripheral things I like about the deal, but the central part, namely the return, ultimately undercuts those things. It's not like I need the Reds to educate me as to who these players are. That's already information that's available to the general public. So at what point am I allowed to know that which was there to know to anyone who cared to know it?

Ltlabner
07-21-2006, 07:24 AM
Fourth, I've heard the "you don't know all the ramifications" accusation ad infinitum over the years after deals go down. It's always a veil for why you have fall in line with whatever the team has done and like whatever deal has just been made.

Huh? Please post for me where I've said, "I love this deal, I think it's great! Kriv is perfect and wonderfull!"

You don't know all the ramifactions isn't a veil for anything. It's a statement of fact. Becasue you don't know all the things going on behind the sceens you can't possibly know all the ramifications of the trade. You can certinally gather in your gut reactions, as you did "Majic isn't worth it, Bray is unproven" etc but to say you know how this trade fits into the bigger picture is silly because you have .5% of the information available.

Sure people can make a fast analysis of the deal. Did it ever cross your mind that the information they received was incorrrect? Or that important information was left out? Or that Kriv would have something to add at the press conference that wasn't released when the news leaked out? These are all very reasonable scenarios that would render any "analysis" rendered within the first 30seconds of news of a trade rather silly don't you think?

I'm not arguing the trade with you. Let's not go over all that again. My main point is that it's funny that people would jam up a trade before all the details are clear and available.

Oh yea, the people who's indepth anaylisis usually consists of "Narron sucks" were leading the charge of early posters panning the trade. The ones I respect and have the baseball knowledge you referenced didn't generally weigh in for a while.

REDREAD
07-21-2006, 08:09 AM

Mr. Pot meet Mr. Kettle.

I still think the Nats won this trade easily. The difference is, if Kearns and Lopez were hitting .400 in their first week in Washington, I wouldn't use that as "proof". Just as Majewski's 22 ERA in his first week isn't proof that he sucks.

Majewski and Bray will be decent relief pitchers. Bray has a chance to be above average. But if you look longterm, the Nats EASILY got more talent.
The Nats will either keep Lopez/Kearns longterm or within 2 years trade them for more than they gave up. This trade only makes sense to the Reds if it wins the division for them this year, because they paid too steep of a price.
So, IMO, we'll be able to judge it at the end of the year. It's not difficult to see that giving up this much talent for 2 relievers almost never happens (and when it does the team that got the reliever got the short end of the stick).

OUReds
07-21-2006, 08:24 AM

Regardless of where the Reds are in the standings at the moment, we aren't going to get into the playoffs easily. We just don't have that kind of talent. If we do get in, I believe it will be a very close run affair. One or two games here and there are going to be crucial.

So when I see Narron starting RA and his .680 OPS against righthanders over EE with his .878 OPS vs righthanders, I tend to be upset that, in my opinion, Narron is bleeding away our zero margin for error opportunity to make the playoffs by consistently making poor decisions.

Others agree with me, some don't. But given that we are in a pennant race, that every manigerial decision matters, that everyone on the board is passionate about the Reds, and that I personally would like to see the Reds make it to the playoffs again before I die, you can expect some conversation over the matter. Much of it on a far higher level then NARRON SUCKS!!! and EE IS GOD!!!

If it bothers you, feel free not to participate.

REDREAD
07-21-2006, 08:32 AM

What more analysis needs to be done..

I looked up Majewski. Read that the initial deal was Majewski-Kearns. Saw by his stats that he had been used heavy. Read that Majewski had tendonitis this spring. Read that Bray had impressive tools, but a high road OPS given up. Now, I admit I didn't do any research into that 20 year old A ball guy, but I knew he wasn't one of Wash top prospects. Wasn't particularly jazzed about the AAA infielder.

Not a big return for two everyday players that hit above average. Maybe I'm slightly overvaluing Lopez, but just think if someone proposed trading Lopez for Bray last year on the board. They would've been laughed off the board.
Heck, if they proposed it two weeks prior to the trade, they would've been laughed at.. maybe not by you, but by a lot of people. Same for Kearns- Majewski.

Just look at history. Bullpen arms have been acquired for much less. Look at the Guardaro and Wickman trades that happened right before and after this trade. Look at the Reitsma trade. Look at a host of other transactions where a decent young reliever was stolen off rule V or in a minor transaction. Even young relievers are not that pricey. The only exception is if they clearly establish themselves quickly (as Lidge did when he first came up).

I would've much prefered to grab some veteran bullpen guys.
In fact, I'm going to start a thread about Wickman vs Majewski, because I was surprised to see that their numbers are practically identical. And Wickman was acquired far cheaper.

M2
07-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Huh? Please post for me where I've said, "I love this deal, I think it's great! Kriv is perfect and wonderfull!"

Didn't say you did say that. What you did do was make an argument that criticism of the trade isn't valid based on some arbitrary set of conditions in your own head -- "You have every right to blast a trade within seconds of it being made, but I have just as much right to call that "analysis" foolish without any time to think it through, discussion to consider facts you may have overlooked or (most importantly) knowing more than the information made available to the general public." Sorry, but I've seen posters start there and tack on a never-ending set of conditions that amounts to a person never being able to second-guess the front office.

You don't know all the ramifactions isn't a veil for anything. It's a statement of fact.

Well, as long as we're making statements of fact, Wayne Krivsky doesn't know all the ramifications either. And, IMO, he's gambled away much of his ability to address the big picture in order to take a shot right now.

You seem to think that because the Reds front office gets to play with the MLB toys that we should be deferential to their opinions. Yet over the years I've seen a large number of posters on this board show better acumen about the moves the team's made than the team itself.

I'm not saying the emporer has no clothes, but sometimes the emporer dons a bikini. I think Krivsky's shown he can evaluate talent and he has made some sound moves, but that shouldn't innoculate him from criticism when he leaves a steamer on the sidewalk.

Sure people can make a fast analysis of the deal. Did it ever cross your mind that the information they received was incorrrect? Or that important information was left out? Or that Kriv would have something to add at the press conference that wasn't released when the news leaked out? These are all very reasonable scenarios that would render any "analysis" rendered within the first 30seconds of news of a trade rather silly don't you think?

I'm trying to think of one press conference in my 35 seasons of watching baseball where a GM trotted out something revelatory about the players involved in a trade and I'm drawing an absolute blank.

I'm not arguing the trade with you. Let's not go over all that again. My main point is that it's funny that people would jam up a trade before all the details are clear and available.

I think you need to respect that other people are able to process these things in a manner different from the one that works for you.

Oh yea, the people who's indepth anaylisis usually consists of "Narron sucks" were leading the charge of early posters panning the trade. The ones I respect and have the baseball knowledge you referenced didn't generally weigh in for a while.

I've got no idea whom you respect and whom you don't, but I'm guessing it took a good number of people more time to put their thoughts into words than it took for them to assess the deal. People vent sometimes before they can explain the nuts and bolts of why they needed to vent in the first place.

Chip R
07-21-2006, 10:09 AM
I heard on radio a few days ago that 2B Ronnie Belliard was taking grounders at 3B lately because Indians' mgr Eric Wedge is not happy with Boone's defensive play this season as in too many errors. Probably a ploy to have Boone remove his head from his ---.

That surprises me. I don't watch a lot of CLE games but I assumed that Boone's defensive work was still very good.

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Honestly, the trade wasn't that hard to evaluate. Neither was the Dave Williams deal.

I wasn't thrilled when the Reds traded Pena to the Red Sox for a swingman with a declining K/9, either. Many of us had good reason to question the deal, and we took great pains to point out why we didn't like it. We weren't "wrong" to dislike the trade, it just turned out that Arroyo outperformed all expectations and made our reasoning irrelevant.

That's exactly how most of us addressed the Kearns/Lopez trade. We had our reasons, and we explained them. Will those reasons be relevant in 2 years? Or 2 weeks? Who knows. But they were relevant at the time of the deal.

DeadRedinCT
07-21-2006, 10:37 AM
So, IMO, we'll be able to judge it at the end of the year. It's not difficult to see that giving up this much talent for 2 relievers almost never happens (and when it does the team that got the reliever got the short end of the stick).

Hmmm... but you have already judged the trade (both in the unquoted part of your post and in your signature). Why does everyone else have to wait until the end of the year? That's what I don't understand - it seems to me to be hypocritical thinking.

Ltlabner
07-21-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm not saying the emporer has no clothes, but sometimes the emporer dons a bikini.

Ok M2, we'll agree to disagree because there is no end to this argument. I do, however, love this line and may just add it to my signature.

By the way, please don't lump me in with the "FO can do no wrong crowd". I know you've experienced that a lot in your time at RZ but hopefully I've shown some signs in the past few months of not being a todie for the front office.

M2
07-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Ok M2, we'll agree to disagree because there is no end to this argument. I do, however, love this line and may just add it to my signature.

By the way, please don't lump me in with the "FO can do no wrong crowd". I know you've experienced that a lot in your time at RZ but hopefully I've shown some signs in the past few months of not being a todie for the front office.

I know that and my apologies if you felt lumped.

OnBaseMachine
07-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Kearns just hit a solo HR, his first with Washington. Lopez is 1-for-1 with a single.

I liked both of those guys and I wish them well in Washington.

TeamBoone
07-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Kearns just hit a solo HR, his first with Washington. Lopez is 1-for-1 with a single.

I liked both of those guys and I wish them well in Washington.

I do too and can not understand why so many are hoping they fail.

I feel bad for them too. It's got to be pretty disappointing to be traded to a last place team, especially when your team has been struggling for so many seasons and is finally having some degree of success.

I do understand why it had to be done though. Even if it wasn't apparent at the time, it certainly has since the break.

Reverend Doo-Rag
07-22-2006, 02:52 PM
I do too and can not understand why so many are hoping they fail.

Some hope they fail because they want the Reds to "win" trades along with games. It's not like these guys quit the Reds to join another team on their own. Sensible types hope they do well (but not in games against the Reds)

TeamBoone
07-22-2006, 03:06 PM
It's the Wily Mo trade all over again.

It's petty and not very nice. I'd like to see the trade be successful for both sides.