PDA

View Full Version : The best fans in baseball....

TeamBoone
07-18-2006, 10:48 PM
We hear this phrase a lot when referring to fans from MLB cities across both leagues... we hear it from players, from broadcasters, in the newspaper. It's said at one time or another when referring to fans in pretty much any MLB city.

Does it really mean something? If yes, what?

To me, it's become trite, kind of like "he knows how to play the game" and "he plays the game the right way". If you can't think of anything else to say, just pop the phrase.

Every MLB city can not have the best fans in baseball... so, do they really mean it when they say it or is it just something to say?

HumnHilghtFreel
07-18-2006, 10:57 PM
I think that everybody likes to think that they have the best, the most loyal, the loudest, the most supportive, the most/best *adjective* fan base in all of professional sports. Whether or not it's true is another story though. I think that it's just a nice sounding phrase for people to say, even though there are really great fans in every city.

OldRightHander
07-18-2006, 11:04 PM
That brings up an interesting question. What makes a good fan? Are the Cubs fans good fans because they pack the house for every game no matter how the team is playing, or are they bad fans because they they don't give ownership an incentive to change by staying away when things are stinking? Is one who criticizes his team a better fan because he is more informed, or is the rah rah fan the better fan. I think the best fans are the ones who can have a realistic view of their team, have a passion for the team and the game and who will continue to root for that team no matter what, but who will also feel free to speak critically when it is warranted. The best fan is one who is well informed, loyal, and outspoken.

Cicero
07-18-2006, 11:34 PM
The best fan I know is my Father. My Mother almost left him because he was in the waiting room watching Tony Perez bat in the ninth inning with two on and a one run deficit while I was being born. I don't know if they won the game, but my Mother loves to tell the story.

Unassisted
07-18-2006, 11:39 PM
It's funny how the cliche usually seems to be applied to the fans of the most recent world champion. In the case of fans of those two Marlins teams that won it all in the last decade, I think nothing could be further from the truth if you look at the attendance there.