PDA

View Full Version : Rotoworld takes a swipe at Narron and Reds

Blue
07-19-2006, 01:30 AM
I was looking at Alex Rodgiguez's player page to see what he did tonight, and caught this oddly placed blurb:

"After committing his third error, Alex Rodriguez was pulled from Monday's game to start the eighth inning. Just a brutal effort from A-Rod, who was 0-for-4 before being replaced by Nick Green at third base. Maybe he was a little under the weather. Still, he's up to 16 errors this season. It's a good thing he doesn't play for the Reds or he'd be benched in favor of Rich Aurilia."

I wish EE would play too, but it strikes me as strange that they would insert that into a comment about Alex Rodriguez. They must have EE on their fantasy team or something.

Also, this is an interesting way to look at how EE is being handled. Rodriguez is out OPSing by something like .040 points, and has 1 more error than EE has. His errors are in about 300 more innings, but still, its an interesting perspective.

Tom Servo
07-19-2006, 02:04 AM
I wish EE would play too, but it strikes me as strange that they would insert that into a comment about Alex Rodriguez. They must have EE on their fantasy team or something.
That or reds44 has gotten a new job he hasn't told us about yet. ;)

TOBTTReds
07-19-2006, 02:19 AM
Actually it was me. New sig line coming up.

reds44
07-19-2006, 02:35 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

They are right on.

I can't even begin to tell you how stupid I feel this really is. I may beat you guys over the head with it, but this is one of the dumbest coach/managerial decisons I have EVER seen in my 16 years on earth.

OnBaseMachine
07-19-2006, 03:28 AM
A much deserved swipe I might add. Everyone knows that Edwin Encarnacion should be the Reds starting 3B. Everybody but Narron.

Guacarock
07-19-2006, 03:45 AM
Rotoworld has taken Narron to task about benching EE a couple of times this season. They're absolutely right to do so.

EE has demonstrated uncanny offensive muscle and consistency for a player barely into his second season. He's among the few potential superstars emerging at 3B, where the current talent field is exceptionally weak. Granted, he makes too many throwing errors, but he has great range and fielding instincts. The plusses, in his case, clearly outweigh the one nagging area where he's still behind the eight ball, learning while on the job. Of course, right now, he's barely on the job, hardly visible, mostly riding the pines, which is very strange indeed for a player with an OBP well over .500 after returning from an injury.

I don't know whether it's Narron or a win-now ownership/management who is applying the pressure to keep EE on the bench. But I do know: Barring some valid medical opinion that he's at risk of reaggravating his ankle, this benching is not only hurting EE's development, but also impairing the team's chances to win at a time when you would think we would want to win and get a few of the more casual fannies back into the habit of going out to GABP to watch the next Big Red Machine in the making.

We already sacrificed beaucoup offense by dealing off two productive everyday players in a mid-season deal designed to shore up the NL's worst bullpen. I happened to think the deal smacked of desperation and that we got fleeced, but I'll give Krivsky the benefit of the doubt on one point: Our bullpen was absolutely stinko before the trade. Something had to give. To get an improvement in the pen, we had to deal from excess elsewhere.

But having shortchanged the offense by shedding Kearns and Lopez in one fell swoop, it's just-plain ignoramus stupid to remove EE's bat at the same time, especially with Ross on the DL, Freel limping along and both Griffey/Phillips mired in slumps. How complete a makeover can a team sustain so quickly and still retain its bearings.

I don't have a big problem with defense and pitching being the mantras for the future. But geez, we're in a pennant chase.

If overnight, we abruptly change course, and don't take advantage of our existing talent, and just chuck the strategies that got us to the table, we're going to crash and burn like a lead balloon. Extreme makeovers are for Madonna, not for legitimately contending baseball teams in the heat of the summer fray.

redsmetz
07-19-2006, 05:31 AM
I was looking at Alex Rodgiguez's player page to see what he did tonight, and caught this oddly placed blurb:

"After committing his third error, Alex Rodriguez was pulled from Monday's game to start the eighth inning. Just a brutal effort from A-Rod, who was 0-for-4 before being replaced by Nick Green at third base. Maybe he was a little under the weather. Still, he's up to 16 errors this season. It's a good thing he doesn't play for the Reds or he'd be benched in favor of Rich Aurilia."

Also, this is an interesting way to look at how EE is being handled. Rodriguez is out OPSing by something like .040 points, and has 1 more error than EE has. His errors are in about 300 more innings, but still, its an interesting perspective.

I got to thinking about this last night and I'm beginning to wonder if Aurilia isn't getting the bulk of the playing time right now to keep his trade value higher for the present. If Aurilia is playing regularly, we're giving up a "regular", not a bench player (super or otherwise). Other than EE having lingering effects of his injury, this is the only thing that would make additional sense.

MrCinatit
07-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Oh joy. The national wesite media is taking shots at our manager - and well deserved shots.

Redsland
07-19-2006, 10:56 AM
I got to thinking about this last night and I'm beginning to wonder if Aurilia isn't getting the bulk of the playing time right now to keep his trade value higher for the present.
Doubtful.

He hit .280 with 14 HR last year and OPS'd .780 while playing three positions and getting paid nothing. Then he became a free agent and crickets chirped in his agent's office while the phone sat silent.

29 teams want nothing to do with him.

RichRed
07-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Rotoworld has taken Narron to task about benching EE a couple of times this season. They're absolutely right to do so.

EE has demonstrated uncanny offensive muscle and consistency for a player barely into his second season. He's among the few potential superstars emerging at 3B, where the current talent field is exceptionally weak. Granted, he makes too many throwing errors, but he has great range and fielding instincts. The plusses, in his case, clearly outweigh the one nagging area where he's still behind the eight ball, learning while on the job. Of course, right now, he's barely on the job, hardly visible, mostly riding the pines, which is very strange indeed for a player with an OBP well over .500 after returning from an injury.

I don't know whether it's Narron or a win-now ownership/management who is applying the pressure to keep EE on the bench. But I do know: Barring some valid medical opinion that he's at risk of reaggravating his ankle, this benching is not only hurting EE's development, but also impairing the team's chances to win at a time when you would think we would want to win and get a few of the more casual fannies back into the habit of going out to GABP to watch the next Big Red Machine in the making.

We already sacrificed beaucoup offense by dealing off two productive everyday players in a mid-season deal designed to shore up the NL's worst bullpen. I happened to think the deal smacked of desperation and that we got fleeced, but I'll give Krivsky the benefit of the doubt on one point: Our bullpen was absolutely stinko before the trade. Something had to give. To get an improvement in the pen, we had to deal from excess elsewhere.

But having shortchanged the offense by shedding Kearns and Lopez in one fell swoop, it's just-plain ignoramus stupid to remove EE's bat at the same time, especially with Ross on the DL, Freel limping along and both Griffey/Phillips mired in slumps. How complete a makeover can a team sustain so quickly and still retain its bearings.

I don't have a big problem with defense and pitching being the mantras for the future. But geez, we're in a pennant chase.

If overnight, we abruptly change course, and don't take advantage of our existing talent, and just chuck the strategies that got us to the table, we're going to crash and burn like a lead balloon. Extreme makeovers are for Madonna, not for legitimately contending baseball teams in the heat of the summer fray.

It's like you took the thoughts out of my head, converted them to coherent sentences and removed the profanity. Excellent summation IMO.

dabvu2498
07-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Doubtful.

He hit .280 with 14 HR last year and OPS'd .780 while playing three positions and getting paid nothing. Then he became a free agent and crickets chirped in his agent's office while the phone sat silent.

29 teams want nothing to do with him.
You know... Aurilia is OPSing .834 this year (.982 in 42 ABs in July).

I want Edwin to play a majority of the time, too... but I can see Narron's point that RA can be (and is) a vaulable contributor, and not strictly as a pinch hitter.

RichRed
07-19-2006, 11:14 AM
You know... Aurilia is OPSing .834 this year (.982 in 42 ABs in July).

I want Edwin to play a majority of the time, too... but I can see Narron's point that RA can be (and is) a vaulable contributor, and not strictly as a pinch hitter.

Then have RA split time at SS, 2B and 1B. There's just no reason not to have EE in the lineup.

dabvu2498
07-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Then have RA split time at SS, 2B and 1B. There's just no reason not to have EE in the lineup.
Unless he's not physically sound enough to go everyday. I think this may be the case. Actually, I hope it is... I still actually trust Narron to some extent.

Your comment brings up another good point... when does RA start to get some of BP's plate appearances?

EKURed
07-19-2006, 11:17 AM
I think Aurilia should start the next 2 days at 2nd with Phillips struggling. That way EE and Aurilia can be in the lineup. Seems like alot more pop in the lineup to me.

TeamBoone
07-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Tried to give ya rep points for that excellent post, Guacarock, but told me I had to spread it around. The last time I gave you points was in May!!!! That bugs me.

penantboundreds
07-20-2006, 01:03 AM
i got you tb

penantboundreds
07-20-2006, 01:05 AM
ahh actually they said ive given out too much in the 24 hours haha sorry .. if i remember ill hit guac up tomorrow