PDA

View Full Version : More whining (sorta) about the trade (McCoy DDN)

dabvu2498
07-19-2006, 08:08 AM
REDS NOTES

Narron's not fretting about the trade
By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

CINCINNATI — Jerry Narron asks not what his team is missing, but asks what his team still has. And the Cincinnati Reds manager is comfortable concerning what will take place in right field after the trade of Austin Kearns.

Right now, it is Chris Denorfia. Soon it will be Denorfia and Ryan Freel, who returns to the lineup, "Either (tonight) or for sure by Thursday," said Narron. Freel hasn't started a game since injuring his right shoulder in the last game in Atlanta before the All-Star break.

"Whoever is in right field, Denorfia or Freel, is going to be an above-average right fielder — both cover a lot of ground, both can throw and are guys who are going to battle you every at-bat," said Narron. "They're both going to hit at the top of the order."

And Lopez's absence?

"At shortstop, with Royce Clayton and Juan Castro, we are going to get a lot of defense," Narron added. "We're going to have a veteran presence on the field every night, and all of us are happy about that. So, I'm not looking at it as anything we're missing. I'm looking at what we have."

Freel said he feels Narron will use "who's hot and who's not," as to who plays right field. "Jerry did mention to me the trade opened the door for me to get more playing time, enable me to play more than I have. I just hope they don't forget I play the infield, too," Freel said.

Asked about whether the loss of power in his lineup, with the trade of Kearns and shortstop Felipe Lopez, will change his managing approach, Narron said: "Not a whole lot. There is some loss of power, but we still have several guys in our lineup who can hit the ball out of the park."

Not a Dunn deal

Nearly a week after the trade of Austin Kearns, his best friend, Adam Dunn still can't bring himself to talk about it.

"My mom always taught me if you can't say anything good about something, don't say anything at all," said Dunn, saying all he needed to say.

Dunn said he talks with Kearns regularly, "Every day, every stinking day. And he tells me every day how miserable he is in Washington."

From 18 to 81

For his entire career, Eddie Guardado wore No. 18, so when he was traded to the Reds the first thing he asked was, "Who wears No. 18?" Told that number was worn by Ted Kluszewski and is retired, Guardado tried to figure out what to do.

"My son Nico (who is 9) told me, 'Dad, just wear 8 and 1,' " said Guardado. So that's what he is doing, wearing No. 81, the highest number ever worn by a member of the Reds.

"I asked if I could run in from the bullpen backwards or wear my uniform upside down, but they wouldn't let me," he said. "The way I look at it, it is a big-league uniform. I could be wearing a Triple-A '18' or a Triple-A '81.' "

Back bumps Brandon

Pitcher Brandon Claussen laughed out loud to keep from crying and said, "I know God is protecting me from something."

He was supposed to test his once-sore shoulder Monday in a rehab appearance for Louisville, but he developed lower back spasms over the weekend.

"I bent over to pick up a suitcase, didn't even touch it, and something grabbed in my back," he said. "Then I went about my business — picked up the suitcase and put it in my truck. I went to dinner with my family and my back locked up. The next morning it was really stiff."

So Claussen's scheduled rehab appearance at Class AAA Louisville was postponed until tonight ... but now that, too, has been postponed.

He was pitching last Friday for Louisville and threw 12 pitches before lightning began dancing nearby and then the skies opened.

Trainer Mark Mann said Claussen won't throw again until the spasms subside, then he'll play catch with pitching coach Tom Hume.

• Paul Wilson is scheduled to pitch on rehab for Louisville on Thursday.

• Disabled catcher David Ross, after two days of inactivity, threw and took batting practice, both pain-free. He'll test his lower abdominal strain by jogging on a treadmill today, "Then we'll go from there," Mann said. Ross is eligible to come off the disabled list on Sunday.

Find this article at:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/071906redsnotes.html

Ltlabner
07-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Dunn said he talks with Kearns regularly, "Every day, every stinking day. And he tells me every day how miserable he is in Washington."

So Kearns is miserable in Washington? Whoopie doo. That just bugs me. To be honest, I really don't know why it bugs me and I'll have to chew on it today to put my thoughts together. But there's just something wrong there.

dabvu2498
07-19-2006, 08:14 AM
So Kearns is miserable in Washington? Whoopie doo. That just bugs me. To be honest, I really don't know why it bugs me and I'll have to chew on it today to put my thoughts together. But there's just something wrong there.
Kearns might be miserable wherever he is... I dunno... just thoughts... random thoughts...

oneupper
07-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Kearns might be miserable wherever he is... I dunno... just thoughts... random thoughts...

You might have stumbled upon the real reason that Kearns (and Lopez) were traded.

letsgojunior
07-19-2006, 08:28 AM

Kearns is at the make-or-break period in his career, and his mental makeup is indicating that he may be headed towards "break" rather than "make."

Any circumstance in life is what you make of it. He could be using his time in Washington, knowing that he'll likely play every day and without the team in contention, to put up some really nice numbers, get in really good shape, and make himself an attractive target to other teams.

After reading this, I have concerns yet again about Dunn/Kearns and whether they're deserving of the hype they get. They seem more interested in making friends than winning and becoming the best player humanly possible.

Just my thoughts.

dabvu2498
07-19-2006, 08:31 AM
You might have stumbled upon the real reason that Kearns (and Lopez) were traded.
I thought I almost tripped on Adam Dunn getting there.

Actually, I really liked some of the comments he made in the most recent BA. He may have the attitude some of us "traditionalists" are looking for... He just expresses himself differently.

princeton
07-19-2006, 08:35 AM
yeah, but Soriano was too miserable to report, and went on to hit 30 miserable HRs by mid-July

It doesn't surprise me if Kearns improves the way Paul O'Neill did. Tragically for us fans, as with O'Neill, the Reds showed that they weren't the ones that could bring that out of him

smith288
07-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Kearns is sounding more and more like a little friggin snot every day.

Get over it Austin. You have a talent 99% of us would dream about and you complain about YOUR lot in life. PFFFF.

oneupper
07-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Can we have a Kearns ''shrine'' a la Danny Graves? sheesh

Deal with these twenty-somethings (and those who behave like twenty-somethings) every day and one understands why Narron likes his ''veteran presence"'.
(can't justify it, though).

RBA
07-19-2006, 08:59 AM
We can't get Freel into right field soon enough.

I don't understand the "brain trust" thinking that you can just toss a rookie at the top of the order and forget about it. You are just setting him up for failure. I don't care how well they performed at the AAA level.

vic715
07-19-2006, 09:44 AM
We can't get Freel into right field soon enough.

I don't understand the "brain trust" thinking that you can just toss a rookie at the top of the order and forget about it. You are just setting him up for failure. I don't care how well they performed at the AAA level.
I agree That Freel has to be in there and rightfield is probably the place he can best fit. I think Denorfia's going to be ok when he's out there but I do think the Reds are better off with Freel out there at this time.

REDREAD
07-19-2006, 09:48 AM
I just hope they don't forget I play the infield, too," Freel said.

Not a very camoflauged slam at the Reds, is it? I'm getting the feeling that Freel isn't exactly one of the happy Reds either. Probably sees a bigger payday down the road if the Reds would establish him at 2b or 3b.

REDREAD
07-19-2006, 09:52 AM
While I didn't like the trade, I don't miss Kearn's "woe is me" attitude.

The guy has probably had everything in life come to him easily, until now. Now with the smallest bit of adversity (like being traded, being told to go on a diet), he can't handle it. Sorry Kearns, but this isn't high school anymore where you were the King of the Universe. Time to grow up and make the best of the situation, as Soriano did. The best way to get out of Washington is to put up big numbers so Bowden will flip you for something else.

Johnny Footstool
07-19-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm shocked at how many people are quick to label Kearns as a pouter and a snot. Especially based on EXTREMELY limited secondhand knowledge of the situation and of his personality. Are any of you buddies with Austin?

If any of you got a job transfer to a new city, you'd be miserable for a while, too. You'd keep in touch with your old friends. Don't try to deny it. But eventually, you'd get over it.

HBP
07-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Kearns is sounding more and more like a little friggin snot every day.

Get over it Austin. You have a talent 99% of us would dream about and you complain about YOUR lot in life. PFFFF.

This isn't Austin Kearns complaining to the media about him being traded. This is what he's telling Adam Dunn in their personal conversations with each other. If I was suddenly removed from the place where I had been for the last 5 years and away from my family + where I lived for my whole life, I wouldn't be the happiest person in the world either.

15fan
07-19-2006, 10:36 AM
If any of you got a job transfer to a new city, you'd be miserable for a while, too. You'd keep in touch with your old friends. Don't try to deny it. But eventually, you'd get over it.

Moving is always tough.

But when you're a 26 year old single male professional athlete making a couple million $ per, I can't fathom how "miserable" would enter the equation anywhere.

Especially if you just got sent to a place like DC.

It's not like he was sent to the regional office in Fargo, North Dakota or Meridian, Mississippi. There's plenty of stuff going on in DC such that a pro athlete could make it big both on and off the field...

Hubba
07-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Fargo would be much better than D.C. Have you ever been to D.C.? John Rocker would love it.
Moving is always tough.

But when you're a 26 year old single male professional athlete making a couple million $ per, I can't fathom how "miserable" would enter the equation anywhere.

Especially if you just got sent to a place like DC.

It's not like he was sent to the regional office in Fargo, North Dakota or Meridian, Mississippi. There's plenty of stuff going on in DC such that a pro athlete could make it big both on and off the field...

Razor Shines
07-19-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm shocked at how many people are quick to label Kearns as a pouter and a snot. Especially based on EXTREMELY limited secondhand knowledge of the situation and of his personality. Are any of you buddies with Austin?

Happened to me recently. I was never and am not miserable, you can choose if you're going to be miserable or not. I know nothing of Austin's feelings I'm just saying that people have a choice. I'm sure it's easier on me since I'm married, but I'd still have a choice of whether or not to be miserable.

Hap
07-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Kearns should clubbin' on M Street in Georgetown and pick up some hot women. I bet he wouldn't be so miserable.

Johnny Footstool
07-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Happened to me recently. I was never and am not miserable, you can choose if you're going to be miserable or not. I know nothing of Austin's feelings I'm just saying that people have a choice. I'm sure it's easier on me since I'm married, but I'd still have a choice of whether or not to be miserable.

Then you're the exception.

Razor Shines
07-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Then you're the exception.
No come on, seriously I truly believe that people can decide how they're going to react to something. You don't?

butlerbulldogs
07-19-2006, 11:04 AM
i thought kearns got married in the off-season?

RedsFan75
07-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Having been transfered many times, all over the country, it's what you make of it. It does reflect your mental makeup to an extent, but moreso how you adapt to it than how you feel at first.

To say I was never disappointed at a transfer would be false and misleading, however I did on many occasions take a few days to be upset, and miserable, then, since I had no other options, I would accept it, and move on looking for the bright spots, and by the time I arrived at the new location be ready to find the new and exciting aspects of the transfer. Makes it much more enjoyable than being miserable depressed moping around for a few years.

Anyway, my $.02

westofyou
07-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Fargo would be much better than D.C. Have you ever been to D.C.? John Rocker would love it.
Have you ever been to Fargo?

If it's anything like Rapid City or Cheyenne, I'll take Chocolate City with all its suits and humidity everyday of the year.

OldXOhio
07-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I'll take Chocolate City with all its suits and humidity everyday of the year.

I take it were not talking about Ray Nagin's Chocolate City here?

Redsland
07-19-2006, 11:22 AM
i thought kearns got married in the off-season?
So?

:evil:

westofyou
07-19-2006, 11:23 AM
I take it were not talking about Ray Nagin's Chocolate City here?
DC is the original Choclate City.

15fan
07-19-2006, 11:33 AM

Been a couple of times. Something for everyone.

I'd have to imagine that there is some fun to be had in the nation's 4th largest MSA (based on 7/1/04 estimates)

http://www.census.gov/population/www/estimates/metropop/table06.xls

Usually when you've got that many people in one place, it's not too difficult to find something that tickles your fancy, whether it be arts, culture, history, restaurants, live music, sporting events, and/or coed tail.

And knowing that your 2006 W2 is going to show gross income of about $2 million, it's a lot easier to open & walk through doors that the rest of us can't budge.

By comparison, I'm guessing that when folks in Fargo want to get all wild & crazy, their options are probably Applebees or TGI Fridays.

Guacarock
07-19-2006, 11:37 AM

So named after the Parliament album by George Clinton and the P-Funk gang celebrating the city. Ah, those were the days.

You had to be careful struttin' around the disco in your platform shoes, but if you were lucky enough, you'd have those shoes off later in the night.

KoryMac5
07-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Yes it is a business and Austin does get paid a lot of money to take part in this game. But he has a right to feel how he feels in a private conversation to his best friend. For us to judge him or criticize him based on this conversation would be wrong. If he goes to the media which is a public forum than we as fans have the right to criticize or judge what he says.

westofyou
07-19-2006, 11:41 AM
By comparison, I'm guessing that when folks in Fargo want to get all wild & crazy, their options are probably Applebees or TGI Fridays.

"Ayyy you got yourself some new flair there Deidra, dindja ya."

Johnny Footstool
07-19-2006, 11:44 AM
No come on, seriously I truly believe that people can decide how they're going to react to something. You don't?

You're the exception in that you reacted positively when you had to move. Most people get very stressed and upset when they are forced to move without getting a choice in the matter.

Redsland
07-19-2006, 11:45 AM
But he has a right to feel how he feels in a private conversation to his best friend. For us to judge him or criticize him based on this conversation would be wrong.
Of course, that's precisely the kind of conversation in which he's most likely to speak honestly.

And honestly, if he's "miserable" starting everyday for the GM who drafted him on a team with no pressure to win in a town that parties as hard as any while he cashes million-dollar paychecks, well, then Austin Kearns sounds like a whiny little mama's boy and not much of a fire-in-the-belly go-getter to me.

Just sayin'.

GoReds
07-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Is Austin's reaction and situation really that much different than Arroyo?

dabvu2498
07-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Is Austin's reaction and situation really that much different than Arroyo?
Arroyo has certainly made the best of his situation and doesn't seem "miserable" at all.

Time will tell what Kearns makes of his situation.

OldXOhio
07-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Glad to see Dunn isn't going "Casey" on us with the departure of his good friend, boohooing to the press about how devastated he is. I really like Adam's tight lip approach.

OldXOhio
07-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Arroyo has certainly made the best of his situation and doesn't seem "miserable" at all.

Time will tell what Kearns makes of his situation.

I could see AK falling into a hole of sorts for a while, only to come out and show his true ability once again next season or in 2008 with a new team. I've been a big fan of Kearns for a while now and I wish him well, but I'm not liking what I see out of him. These guys are human too, but still.....

Tony Cloninger
07-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Getting paid $1million+........makes it a lot easier to deal with a move.

Even Mongolia would do......just put me up in the best motel and give me a satellite dish.

Did i also just read someone COMPLAIN about JN starting a rookie every day?
I thought JN hates all rookies?

Team Clark
07-19-2006, 01:14 PM

This goes along with what I was saying on another thread. Kearns is used to everyone around him making the adjustment, not him. Sucks when the tables are turned.

Team Clark
07-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Glad to see Dunn isn't going "Casey" on us with the departure of his good friend, boohooing to the press about how devastated he is. I really like Adam's tight lip approach.

He's not allowed. He has been told to keep his mouth shut.

Falls City Beer
07-19-2006, 01:18 PM
I wish I could care less about Kearns' feelings, but I think then I'd be dead...

DoogMinAmo
07-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Not a very camoflauged slam at the Reds, is it? I'm getting the feeling that Freel isn't exactly one of the happy Reds either. Probably sees a bigger payday down the road if the Reds would establish him at 2b or 3b.

Or he is hoping he doesn't just sit everytime Deno is in the lineup, because he can play the infiled too. Freel always struck me as a guy who just loves to play, not really the "show me the money" type.

Shaggy Sanchez
07-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Lets see Kearns was traded from the only team he had ever played for which just happened to be about an hour and 45 minutes from where he grew up. He is not able to drive home during a home stand if he wants to see his wife and kid or his parents.

He went from being on a team that had a chance to make the playoffs to a team that has no shot.

The Reds play in a nice new ballpark that favors hitters as opposed to the old hitters nightmare that is RFK.

His best friend is Adam Dunn who he has worked with since '98 and now he doesn't work with him anymore.

I believe I read a post from TC that Kearns hates Jim Bowden and now he has to deal with him again.

People can say what they want about Kearns being a baby or having everything given to him, but honestly how many of these guys haven't grown up the same exact way. I can see why he would tell Dunn he has been miserable since the trade and don't see anything wrong with it. Arroyo talked about Boston a lot after getting traded and how he would rather still be playing there. Casey was miserable after Boone and Graves were traded and he didn't even have to make any changes. This has nothing to do with Kearns being a "twentysomething" or a baby. This is all about a guy having to change a lot of things in his life and he doesn't like it, there is nothing wrong with that.

Jpup
07-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Lets see Kearns was traded from the only team he had ever played for which just happened to be about an hour and 45 minutes from where he grew up. He is not able to drive home during a home stand if he wants to see his wife and kid or his parents.

He went from being on a team that had a chance to make the playoffs to a team that has no shot.

The Reds play in a nice new ballpark that favors hitters as opposed to the old hitters nightmare that is RFK.

His best friend is Adam Dunn who he has worked with since '98 and now he doesn't work with him anymore.

I believe I read a post from TC that Kearns hates Jim Bowden and now he has to deal with him again.

People can say what they want about Kearns being a baby or having everything given to him, but honestly how many of these guys haven't grown up the same exact way. I can see why he would tell Dunn he has been miserable since the trade and don't see anything wrong with it. Arroyo talked about Boston a lot after getting traded and how he would rather still be playing there. Casey was miserable after Boone and Graves were traded and he didn't even have to make any changes. This has nothing to do with Kearns being a "twentysomething" or a baby. This is all about a guy having to change a lot of things in his life and he doesn't like it, there is nothing wrong with that.

great post.

Hubba
07-19-2006, 01:58 PM
He is acting normal, at least I think so. Good post:thumbup:

realreds1
07-19-2006, 02:02 PM

With all of it's vanilla suburbs...

Gawd, I love George Clinton.

deltachi8
07-19-2006, 02:20 PM
I wish I could care less about Kearns' feelings, but I think then I'd be dead...

:D

Moving can be tough no matter how much $$ one makes. Leaving your comfort zone is never, well, comfortable.

In the end, this could be the best thing to happen to Austin and a good thing for the Reds. Depends on how he wants to adjust to it.

REDREAD
07-19-2006, 02:25 PM
This isn't Austin Kearns complaining to the media about him being traded. This is what he's telling Adam Dunn in their personal conversations with each other. .

That's a great point. Now that I think about it, it was pretty uncool of Dunn to say that. I'm sure Kearns intended that to stay private.

Perfectly natural for Kearns to be shocked and unhappy immediately after a life changing event that he had no control over. Not to mention, it probably hurts to be discarded by the team you came up with.

Ltlabner
07-19-2006, 03:27 PM
After thinking about it today, I guess I can see both sides of the argument but am starting to come down on a position like some of you have expressed.

In the short term, it understandable that he wouldn't be too pleased for the reasons mentioned. Doesn't mean he's going to curl up and die, just that in the midst of the innitial shock he's not having a party right now. I can see that.

If in a few months or a year from now when he's had time to adjust if he's still crying about it then it's a different story. Then it's his fault for not being a grown up and adjusting like every other human has to deal with in life.

Falls City Beer
07-19-2006, 04:10 PM
:D

Moving can be tough no matter how much $$ one makes. Leaving your comfort zone is never, well, comfortable.

In the end, this could be the best thing to happen to Austin and a good thing for the Reds. Depends on how he wants to adjust to it.

I think if a ballplayer needs as many "new leaves" to be turned as Kearns does, the book itself is probably not all that good.

In my experience, the winners kick ass in a shark-tank filled will razor blades; and losers, well, the losers find excuses.

Mario-Rijo
07-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Maybe he should have done what was asked of him and he would have made himself "untouchable"! My guess is that he might not have been so miserable right about this time of the year. The truth is that if he would have done what was asked he likely would not have been moved, he would have been a bigger asset than any of the everyday players. As he was not far off anyway. I hate to see it but maybe this is exactly what he needed to be succesful, or maybe not.

Anyway at this point in time his misery is the least of my worries as my Red's are in a pennant chase. ;)