PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite play in baseball?

Ltlabner
07-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Pretty basic....

What's your favorite play in baseball?

Double Play? Suicide Squeeze? Unassisted Triple Play? Grand Salami? Something Else?

Mine is a perfectly executed double play.

RedLegSuperStar
07-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Centerfielder gunning a runner down at the plate!

rcb126
07-19-2006, 08:10 PM
without a doubt.............an inside the park homer.

redsfan30
07-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Walkoff homeruns. Nothing like them (especially when the good guys hit them).

tripleaaaron
07-19-2006, 08:13 PM
as an ex catcher, I love to watch ANY play at the plate

Red in Chicago
07-19-2006, 08:19 PM
i love watching an outfielder with a great arm gun down a runner...

gitrdunn44
07-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Walk off homers or huge hits that go around 500 feet.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Since I went with it in my other thread, I'm going to stick with the inside the parker.

2001MUgrad
07-19-2006, 08:32 PM
A game saving Double Play.

jimbo
07-19-2006, 09:15 PM
As much as I like a an outfielder gunning a guy down at the plate, I love seeing a right fielder gunning a runner at 3B. I can still see Paul O'Neil throwing that runner out at 3B during the 1990 NLCS at Riverfront.

Blue
07-19-2006, 09:16 PM
At home games, its the walk off homer.

On the road, gotta love a game saving 5-3 DP in the 9th.

KronoRed
07-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Triples.

fisch11
07-19-2006, 09:22 PM
In this order:
Walkoff homer, inside the park HR, close play at plate on a runner trying to score from first, and a triple.

goreds2
07-19-2006, 09:23 PM
As much as I like a an outfielder gunning a guy down at the plate, I love seeing a right fielder gunning a runner at 3B. I can still see Paul O'Neil throwing that runner out at 3B during the 1990 NLCS at Riverfront.

I remember that.

A great defensive play is #1 on my list.

If you have CHEAP seats behind homeplate being up high and watching the sacrafice bunt play with all the fielders rotating is PRICELESS. :cool:

Razor Shines
07-19-2006, 09:25 PM
I know it's common and maybe even cliche but to me it doens't get any better than an unassisted triple play by the right fielder.

captainmorgan07
07-19-2006, 09:28 PM
bottom of the 9th notting does it better than the walk off homer

terminator
07-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Any Reds grand slam. It is always exciting seeing the bases cleared and the tension of an at-bat where the pitcher has nowhere to put the batter. Also grand slams almost always make a difference in the result of the game.

RFS62
07-19-2006, 10:19 PM

Man, you beat me to it. That's exactly what I was going to say.

That series had the best bunch of outfield defense I've ever seen.

OldRightHander
07-19-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm a pitching guy. I absolutely love to watch good pitching, especially one of those at bats where the pitcher sets up the hitter and then makes him look foolish. I do enjoy walk off hits as well, but I am usually more satisfied with a win that doesn't require a walk off hit.

Highlifeman21
07-20-2006, 12:53 AM
The fake to 3B, go to 1B pick off.

How this play works, I'll never know, but it's worked on the MLB level.

Mind boggling.

BoomerSoonerRed
07-20-2006, 12:58 AM
Other than the obvious walk-off shot, I would say an inside-the-park grand slam

I'm a Rangers fan, too, and I remember Bob Brower pulling that feat off in a game in Oakland back in '87. They continued to show that highlight for weeks afterward.

Edd Roush
07-20-2006, 01:04 AM
My favorite play outside of the walk-off home run has to be a 1-2-3 ninth turned in by a closer. I like to be able to trust my closer and if he can set them down in order, I'm in love.

jmcclain19
07-20-2006, 01:15 AM
A play at the plate, the runner going as fast as he can railroads the catcher, knocking him on his kiester. The backstop then somehow, despite his massive cajones, manages to stand up, brush himself off and hold up the ball for all to see.

That is my most favorite play in all of baseball.

I also enjoy seeing guys getting caught stealing by a mile.

TOBTTReds
07-20-2006, 02:00 AM
inside the parker, walk-off HR, stealing home, taking 2 bases on a wild pitch (Kenny Lofton in the playoffs once for the tribe), any Dmitri Young triple

Blue
07-20-2006, 02:09 AM
A play at the plate, the runner going as fast as he can railroads the catcher, knocking him on his kiester. The backstop then somehow, despite his massive cajones, manages to stand up, brush himself off and hold up the ball for all to see.

That is my most favorite play in all of baseball.

I also enjoy seeing guys getting caught stealing by a mile.

hmm... you must have played catcher at some level, no?

BCubb2003
07-20-2006, 02:17 AM
The legendary quadruple play.

TeamSelig
07-20-2006, 03:34 AM
As an outfielder, I love seeing runners get gunned down at the plate. Nothin like an adrenaline rush of throwin someone out at the plate... to be more specific, I like it when there is a catch, and then a runner tagging up at third, but thrown out at home. Thats probably my "career highlight" as a baseball player... throwin out a runner by about 5 feet from RF where the catcher doesn't even have to move his glove... good stuff

dabvu2498
07-20-2006, 08:01 AM
Agreed TeamSelig... OF assists are my favorites.

redsmetz
07-20-2006, 08:13 AM
The fake to 3B, go to 1B pick off.

How this play works, I'll never know, but it's worked on the MLB level.

Mind boggling.

Marty Brennaman: That play hasn't work since Abner Doubleday was a boy! :bang:

redsmetz
07-20-2006, 08:21 AM
As an outfielder, I love seeing runners get gunned down at the plate. Nothin like an adrenaline rush of throwin someone out at the plate... to be more specific, I like it when there is a catch, and then a runner tagging up at third, but thrown out at home. Thats probably my "career highlight" as a baseball player... throwin out a runner by about 5 feet from RF where the catcher doesn't even have to move his glove... good stuff

The play of my career as a softball player (aside from my two "almost" home runs - the ump was wrong on one of them!) was the play at the plate that broke my nose. I remember seeing the outfielder hitting the cut off man (which astonished me - My God! We hit the cut off man!). I take the throw apply the tag as the runner barrels into me and upends me. I land on my face, hold the ball up and the umpire called "You're out!".

I stood up and everyone went "Oh my God!" and off to the hospital I went. I had surgery a week later and I came out as ugly afterwards as I was when I went in! When my son started at St. X, there was a lady in front of us with the same last name and I asked her if her husband had played softball. I told her the story and she said that had to be her brother-in-law. When I saw her later during their freshman year, she said she'd brought it up at a family gathering and he was like "I was not out!". I laughed and said he was out to the only person who mattered - the umpire.

The most exciting defensive end of a Reds game I ever saw was against Cleveland with the tying run on second. A ball was hit to left field with the runner rounding third looking like the game would be tied. The outfielder fired the ball in, Larkin(?) took the relay and threw to the plate, throwing the runner out and ending the game. Wow!

Benny-Distefano
07-20-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm a sucker for the pickle.

....wait, that didn't come out right.

Hey Meat
07-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Suicide Squeeze Play, now that takes some intestinal fortitude to call and pull off that play. But I am also torn between that and a nice long home run or grand slam.

Redlegs23
07-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Foul out to third. So exciting.

bounty37h
07-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Any play that chalks up a win for the Reds!

redsmetz
07-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Was anyone else at the Reds Mets game a number of years ago when a "catcher's balk" was called. If I recall, Ron Gant was on third and took off for home. The Mets catcher stepped forward to get to the ball and touched the batter's bat. A catcher's balk was called, Gant scored and the batter got first base. The Mets went nuts and protested, but the next day the paper showed the rule and it was exactly what the play was.

Here's a recounting of the very same type play in 1946.

Augie Galan has single, double, and triple and is involved in an unusual "catcher's balk" play. Augie is at bat when Pete Reiser, on 3B, breaks for home on an attempted steal. Phils C Andy Seminick tips Galan's bat on the play and umpire Al Barlick calls the balk. Reiser is awarded a steal of home and Galan gets 1B.

dabvu2498
07-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Was anyone else at the Reds Mets game a number of years ago when a "catcher's balk" was called. If I recall, Ron Gant was on third and took off for home. The Mets catcher stepped forward to get to the ball and touched the batter's bat. A catcher's balk was called, Gant scored and the batter got first base. The Mets went nuts and protested, but the next day the paper showed the rule and it was exactly what the play was.

Here's a recounting of the very same type play in 1946.
I saw a "catcher's balk" happen in a college game last year on an intentional walk. I knew the rule, but was shocked to see it enforced.

griffeyfreak4
07-20-2006, 12:01 PM
My favorite play in baseball is when an OFer goes crashing into a wall to catch a ball driven deep in a gap. That is why I love Aaron Rowand.