PDA

View Full Version : Notes from Detroit

Team Clark
07-20-2006, 10:13 PM
I worked the last two games of the White Sox/Tigers series. Whew!! I had to keep reminding myself that I had work to do. Great games. Two things stand out to me. 1) I could watch those two teams play each other for the rest of the season. 2) Detroit is the best "TEAM" I have seen in 5+ years. (White Sox are a fraction behind)

Contreras only struck out one today and had absolutely filthy "stuff". He just flat out made the hitters hit his pitches and let his "D" do the work. 7.0IP 6H 2R 2ER 1BB 1K P96-PS58

Problem for the WS today was the wiley veteran Kenny Rogers. Kenny walked three but was equally masterful. 6.0 IP 6H 1R 1ER 3BB 3K 88P-56Ps

Zumaya is totally ridiculous. 98-101 MPH. I think he slows some of his pitches down just to see if anyone can foul off a pitch...:laugh: He's still growing into his role, occasionally rushes the ball to the plate, but who really cares? Why do they "need" Tom Gordon? They need a 3B that can rake but not too much else. This team reminds me of the last Marlins WS team.

I was thinking to myself when watching them "why would they really want to screw with the dynamic of this team"? Just because the "experts" want them to add a reliever and a starter? I'm not so sure they need anyone else EXCEPT maybe John Smoltz. The only "expert" who knows what they need is Jim Leyland.

The White Sox are still pretty damn good. This is the second time I have seen them this year. Brian Anderson had 3 hits today. A sign of life from a kid who is overmatched. They are going to need some production from a CF who can get it and go for at least this season and MAYBE next. I wonder if Matthews Jr., could be pulled away from Texas?

Chris Widger must have naked pics of Guillen's wife. They really could stand to upgrade their backup Catcher.

Jenks looked good today. He got off track (a hit and a walk) and then nailed it down. I just wonder how he will perform in Sept. Wickman would have been a great pick-up for them but there was no way Cleveland would deal to Chicago.

Pretty cool to see a sold out crowd on a Thursday.

smith288
07-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Chris Widger must have naked pics of Guillen's wife. They really could stand to upgrade their backup Catcher.

LaRue???

Team Clark
07-20-2006, 11:08 PM
LaRue???
That would be a good idea.... I'd let Larue play against lefties.

Pained me to hear Toby Hall hates LA. I liked him a lot.

Jpup
07-21-2006, 02:53 AM
Detroit is good, but not enough to beat Boston IMO. I think the Twins are going to catch the White Sox for the Wild Card, if the Yankees don't do it first.

Dunner44
07-21-2006, 05:56 AM
Hey, I know a CF who's contract goes through this year and next, and who Chicago thought about trading for last year.... I love Griffey, but if there was any chance of having this deal go down with a reasonable return, I'd do it.

smith288
07-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Hey, I know a CF who's contract goes through this year and next, and who Chicago thought about trading for last year.... I love Griffey, but if there was any chance of having this deal go down with a reasonable return, I'd do it.
But would Griffey?

REDREAD
07-21-2006, 02:29 PM

You just can't trade Jr now after the Wash trade. That would kill our chances of making the playoffs.

Jpup
07-21-2006, 02:30 PM
You just can't trade Jr now after the Wash trade. That would kill our chances of making the playoffs.

how would it kill the Reds chances of making the playoffs. Jr. has been pretty horrible this season. I love him, but he's in a bad funk.

James B.
07-21-2006, 04:41 PM
how would it kill the Reds chances of making the playoffs. Jr. has been pretty horrible this season. I love him, but he's in a bad funk.

Junior does not have great stats, and is slumping, but he has been huge at times for the reds this year. The majority of his homeruns, have tied the game or given the reds the lead this year. If healthy, he will get back on track and carry the team for a few weeks. The reds can't afford to trade anymore of their big hitters.

Wheelhouse
07-21-2006, 04:58 PM
The question is, is something wrong w/Junior (i.e. his legs)? If the Reds don't have him down the stretch, we can just forget it. Relying on Hatteberg and Aurilia to drive a stretch run (and a very inconsistent Dunn), ain't gonna cut it. Griffey must lead the team to the playoffs. Maybe Team Clark has some info? Fingers crossed :griffey:

REDREAD
07-21-2006, 05:33 PM

Well, Jr has been driving in runs.

The problem is that if you trade Jr, you're not going to get a better "win now" commodity in return. You might get a good prospect, but that doesn't help us win this year. The Kearns trade says the Reds are going all out to win this year. Therefore, you've got to hold on to Jr., because if you trade Jr, the offense gets weakened even more.

The Reds can't afford to experiment to see if Freel and Defornia playing everyday in the OF will work. I don't want to see this lineup lose even more power.

VR
07-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Well, Jr has been driving in runs.

1 ribeye in his last 50 or so ab's, on a dinger.

He has gone so completely all or nothing this year that it is frightening. Resisting taking walks, first pitch swinging, HR happy.

While his multiple rbi dingers earlier spiked his rbi total, it has no caught up to him. His % of ribbies on non HR's has to be one of the lowest in the league.

I truly wonder if he's got his mind set on 600, knowing that the remainder of this year and all of next year will be it. 45 is surely a press to get to, and I'm worried that's something on his mind, and hurting his overall plate approach.

vic715
07-21-2006, 07:02 PM
I agree ,if you trade Griffey now you can forget about winning this year.Unless of course you can get an impact player and you won't.

Team Clark
07-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Looks like Kenny Williams reads Redszone!

Acquired catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. from the Los Angeles Dodgers for pitcher B.J. LaMura; designated catcher Chris Widger for assignment

indyred
07-23-2006, 10:49 PM
what was your gig in Detroit?

Team Clark
07-23-2006, 10:51 PM
what was your gig in Detroit?

Evaluating the Tigers players who are included in a trade proposal.

wally post
07-23-2006, 10:58 PM
TC - thanks for keeping us informed of your world. I love it that Leyland is geting those Tigers to play ball. Your posts equal....Fun!
I'm very happy for you and your success!

Team Clark
07-23-2006, 11:44 PM
TC - thanks for keeping us informed of your world. I love it that Leyland is geting those Tigers to play ball. Your posts equal....Fun!
I'm very happy for you and your success!

Thank you. Greatly appreciated. This is what Redszone is all about.

MississippiRed
07-24-2006, 12:07 AM
I They need a 3B that can rake but not too much else. This team reminds me of the last Marlins WS team.

I know of a veteran 3B the Reds could offer them for any pitcher they have in the bullpen. I can't believe how many hard throwers they have on that team.

Newman4
07-24-2006, 01:04 AM
Detroit is good, but not enough to beat Boston IMO. I think the Twins are going to catch the White Sox for the Wild Card, if the Yankees don't do it first.

If the Twins can somehow get into the playoffs then watch out. Santana and Liriano pitch 4 of 7 games. Wow. :eek:

ChatterRed
07-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Trading Junior would sink our season.

Neither he nor Dunn have done much lately. But we're still winning. These slumps won't last forever. It's the dog days of the season and they will come roaring back eventually.

TeamBoone
07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Trading Junior would sink our season.

Neither he nor Dunn have done much lately. But we're still winning. These slumps won't last forever. It's the dog days of the season and they will come roaring back eventually.

Dunn's numbers since the AS break: OBP .444; SLG .541; AVG .324

smith288
07-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Dunn's numbers since the AS break: OBP .444; SLG .541; AVG .324
Stinkin' facts... ;)