PDA

View Full Version : Hillsbrand to the SF

Royals Fan
07-22-2006, 12:51 AM
According to Rotoworld and ESPNews- nice pick up by Sabean and crew.

cincy09
07-22-2006, 01:21 AM
Wouldn't be surprized to see the Giants win the west
What a crappy division

OnBaseMachine
07-22-2006, 01:24 AM
Shea Hillenbrand and Barry Bonds on the same team? Wow.

wojo1025
07-22-2006, 01:24 AM
Giants acquire Hillenbrand from Blue Jays

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
July 22, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The San Francisco Giants acquired Shea Hillenbrand from Toronto on Friday night, two days after the Blue Jays booted him from the team for clashing with management.

The Giants sent reliever Jeremy Accardo to Toronto for Hillenbrand and reliever Vinnie Chulk, getting in Hillenbrand the every day first baseman they had been seeking before the trade deadline. Both players were expected to be in uniform for the Giants on Saturday against the San Diego Padres.

Hillenbrand was designated for assignment during Wednesday's game after writing "play for yourself" on a board the Blue Jays use to post batting practice times. He later wrote the "ship was sinking" before manager John Gibbons challenged him to a fight during a team meeting.

"We started talking and negotiating with these guys before the mishap," Giants general manager Brian Sabean said after the team moved within a half-game of the NL West-leading Padres following an 8-2 win. "I feel there are two sides to the story. It will be left for people to decide what happened in Toronto."

Hillenbrand, who has a $5.8 million contract for this season, is batting .301 with 12 homers, 15 doubles and 39 RBIs.

cincy09
07-22-2006, 01:30 AM
Roid rage v. a known clubhouse cancer

wojo1025
07-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Where's Jeff Kent when you need him. Those three would be great to watch together

Matt700wlw
07-22-2006, 01:40 AM

They need a bigger locker room....or at least a bigger entry way for their egos.

Cedric
07-22-2006, 01:40 AM
What a crappy division

They might win the division but I doubt it's because of Hillebrand.

He's a hack that would make Willie Greene look like Brooks Robinson at 3b.

That's not even mentioning who they gave up for him. Accardo has a good chance at being a stud. Great peripheral numbers, just hasn't been given enough patience at the big league level.

westofyou
07-22-2006, 01:55 AM
Shea and Pedro Feliz.. the horror... Pedro 2058 ab's 106 walks, Shea 3069 ab's 126 walks... a combined 1 walk every 22 at bats.

Phhhl
07-22-2006, 02:04 AM
The Giants remind me of George Jetson... trying desperately to keep up with the increasing velocity of the treadmill that is major league baseball. They haven't fallen down yet, but when they do they are going going to get chewed up by the machine just like ol' George did.

David Aardsma for Hawkins, Nathan and Liriano for Pierzynski and now this? Mark Sweeney is probably a better hitter than Hillenbrand as it is. If any team deserves to fall flat on it's face more than the Giants I want to see them front and center. They have to be the most idiotic team in baseball, and soon they won't have Bonds hitting in the middle of their order to cleanup their messes. It is nothing short of miraculous that they didn't deal Matt Cain before now.

BoomerSoonerRed
07-22-2006, 02:11 AM
David Aardsma for Hawkins, Nathan and Liriano for Pierzynski and now this? Mark Sweeney is probably a better hitter than Hillenbrand as it is. If any team deserves to fall flat on it's face more than the Giants I want to see them front and center. They have to be the most idiotic team in baseball, and soon they won't have Bonds hitting in the middle of their order to cleanup their messes. It is nothing short of miraculous that they didn't deal Matt Cain before now.
Hey, you forgot to mention they also gave away the immortal Boof Bonser for Pierzynski.
:D

OnBaseMachine
07-22-2006, 02:12 AM
Does this make Hillenbrand, who is 30 btw, the youngest starting position player on the Giants?

Just checked. Nope. Feliz is slightly younger.

I'm glad the Reds stayed away from Hillenbrand. As woy noted...SH is a hacker, and we don't need anymore of those on this team.

Royals Fan
07-22-2006, 02:22 AM
not sure where I saw this on the board, but someone mentioned that Wayne did try to get Joe Nathan form the Twins but his old buddy Terry Ryan would not bite. Something to chew on for the rest of the night.

savafan
07-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Okay, who went to San Fran? Hillsbrand, Hildenbrand, Hillebrand or Hillenbrand?

Heath
07-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Shea and Pedro Feliz.. the horror... Pedro 2058 ab's 106 walks, Shea 3069 ab's 126 walks... a combined 1 walk every 22 at bats.

Might has well get your money's worth by hacking at pitches.

Works for me when I play golf.

oneupper
07-22-2006, 09:28 PM
What a crappy division

One game behind the reds in the WC. Start worrying.