PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen since the trade

BigREDSfaninKY
07-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Since the 13th when the trade happened, the relievers have pitched 25 innings, given up 24 hits, allowing 11 runs 10 earned, walking 7 and striking out 22 batters. In that time the pen is 4-1 with 4 saves with 3.60 ERA. Taking Majewski's putrid numbers out and the bullpen ERA is 2.05 in that same period. I'm hoping that his poor start in a Reds uniform is behind him.

redsfan30
07-22-2006, 09:36 AM
There's no denying, it's been much better. Seems to me that Majewski had a reputation of being inconsistant when he came over here and we're seeing that.

Even though a little over a week isn't enough to convince most people (including myself) that the bullpen is better, if it can continue to pitch this well this team will make the playoffs.

Phil in BG
07-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Majewski only faced 4 batters last night and gave up one hit in an inning pitched. Much better, IMO. Bray faced 3 batters in an inning pitched. Standridge pitched 2 very good innings prior to that. Al in all, a very good night for the bullpen.

Spitball
07-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Since the 13th when the trade happened, the relievers have pitched 25 innings, given up 24 hits, allowing 11 runs 10 earned, walking 7 and striking out 22 batters. In that time the pen is 4-1 with 4 saves with 3.60 ERA. Taking Majewski's putrid numbers out and the bullpen ERA is 2.05 in that same period. I'm hoping that his poor start in a Reds uniform is behind him.

Lots of players get off to slow starts after highly publicized trades or signings. Mark McGwire got off to a horrible start after coming to St. Louis. Griffey pressed mightily. I remember the red Sox signed Bill Campbell to a big contract in the late seventies and he got off to a miserable start. I remember being at a game and suddenly there was a mass groan from the crowd. It was because Campbell was warming up in the bullpen. As it turned out, Bill Campbell had an amazing season before it was all over, but he had to get through the rocky start.

redsmetz
07-22-2006, 09:43 AM
There's no denying, it's been much better. Seems to me that Majewski had a reputation of being inconsistant when he came over here and we're seeing that.

Even though a little over a week isn't enough to convince most people (including myself) that the bullpen is better, if it can continue to pitch this well this team will make the playoffs.

Say what you will, but Majewski has lived with the truism that it's a game of inches in some of his appearances. Time will ultimately tell, but I'm still liking this trade even though it was very jarring when it came down.

Krusty
07-22-2006, 09:59 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say Bray will be the closer of the this team two years from now.

Hey Meat
07-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Bray has been impressive. He has some good stuff. I don't think you are going out on a limb by saying he may be a future closer.

goreds2
07-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Lots of players get off to slow starts after highly publicized trades or signings. Mark McGwire got off to a horrible start after coming to St. Louis. Griffey pressed mightily. I remember the red Sox signed Bill Campbell to a big contract in the late seventies and he got off to a miserable start. I remember being at a game and suddenly there was a mass groan from the crowd. It was because Campbell was warming up in the bullpen. As it turned out, Bill Campbell had an amazing season before it was all over, but he had to get through the rocky start.

Good points. As stated in other threads, Majewski also has been BLOOPED to death in some of his appearances.

Blue
07-22-2006, 12:36 PM
I think Majewski may have a little "pitch to contact" in him. He throws mid-90s heat with good movement and has a good slider. I don't really see why he can't strike out one batter every inning, eventually.

captainmorgan07
07-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Good points. As stated in other threads, Majewski also has been BLOOPED to death in some of his appearances.
you are exactly right in those first 2 outings i think 3/4 of the hits he gave up were bloop singles

ChatterRed
07-22-2006, 01:04 PM
The numbers are impressive, but just going by my gut.........I feel more confident when we go to the bullpen now.

PuffyPig
07-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Majewski has pitched very well since the trade, but with poor results. No HR's allowed, some strike outs, his BABIP has been incredibly unlucky. He'll be fine as long as he continues to pitch like he has.

RedsMan3203
07-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Last night, was the 1st night in a long time that I was yelling.. GO TO THE PEN! The Pen is much better then it was a month ago... I like it.. And when it comes down to it... Turn the ball game over to them.. Just watch them closely... Mainly Merker and Weathers.

toledodan
07-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Bray has been impressive. He has some good stuff. I don't think you are going out on a limb by saying he may be a future closer.

i agree. bray has everything you like in a closer. also he is young and reminds me of john franco.

oregonred
07-22-2006, 04:38 PM
you are exactly right in those first 2 outings i think 3/4 of the hits he gave up were bloop singles

Not to mention the misplayed Deno/BP flyball that led to the 2 run Mets 10th... Hard for anyone to get 4-5 outs against the best offensive team in the NL.

Everybody has a clear role now and I think the early results are really starting to show a much improved pen. With three strong setup men and an experienced closer the workload should be distributed to keep guys like Coffey/Maj's arms from falling off by the 1st of September.

Narron now has a full complement of viable options at his disposal (and hopefully is learning to use them as such whenever Milton or EE delivers a 6 IP/3ER quasi-QS outing).

Now about that black hole known as the 5th starter...

crazybob60
07-24-2006, 12:18 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say Bray will be the closer of the this team two years from now.

I wouldn't doubt you in the least....I bet he is as well, to tell you the truth, I bet he may be in that role by the end of next season and dependent totally on how long Everyday Eddie lasts here. And I also think that Todd Coffey is the setup man for Bray, and I could see that lasting, successfully for many year to come, how nice would that be for our 7, 8, and 9 innings being spoken for on a consistent basis in a winning manner for many years to come???? What a dream that would be?

flynn78
07-24-2006, 06:31 PM
I think Majewski may have a little "pitch to contact" in him. He throws mid-90s heat with good movement and has a good slider. I don't really see why he can't strike out one batter every inning, eventually.

I had hoped I would never see that phrase again after the old "braintrust" left.;)

Dunner44
07-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Narron now has a full complement of viable options at his disposal (and hopefully is learning to use them as such whenever Milton or EE delivers a 6 IP/3ER quasi-QS outing).

{RANT}Hmmm... I didn't know Edwin could pitch too. Now we not only have to deal with people clamoring for him to play 3B but also to replace Joe Mays.

Sorry, if it seems like I'm nitpicking, but this is like the 5th time in 2 days I've seen someone do this, and often there is little in contextual clues to help me decipher if it is our third baseman or out 4th starter. EZ is Ramirez, EE is Edwin. {/RANT}

oregonred
07-25-2006, 12:10 AM
[QUOTE=oregonred]Narron now has a full complement of viable options at his disposal (and hopefully is learning to use them as such whenever Milton or EE delivers a 6 IP/3ER quasi-QS outing).[QUOTE]

{RANT}Hmmm... I didn't know Edwin could pitch too. Now we not only have to deal with people clamoring for him to play 3B but also to replace Joe Mays.

Sorry, if it seems like I'm nitpicking, but this is like the 5th time in 2 days I've seen someone do this, and often there is little in contextual clues to help me decipher if it is our third baseman or out 4th starter. EZ is Ramirez, EE is Edwin. {/RANT}

Ummm ok, my bad Dunner...

Don't forget EvE now closing out games for the Reds of 2006, different than the Reds superhero of the late 1980s (ED) who was not to be confused with the slick fielding Eddie Milner (EM) whom he pretty much replaced. Are you with me? :p:

My personal pet peeves here used to be the "Linder" rants or were they the "Lintner" rants -- you know the crusty ol' fart that used to own the team :)

redsupport
07-25-2006, 12:29 AM
Of course Eddie Milner and Kalvoski Daniels of Warner Robbins Georgia were both in town recently to leacture high school chemistry students about the importance of using the right nares for the rapid inhalation of derivatives of the coco plant. It seems that if the right nasal passage is used, then the left side of the brain is stimulated resulting in numerous Reds victories