PDA

View Full Version : Bill Bray?

Superdude
07-22-2006, 04:11 PM
I've been gone ever since the big trade went down and I've yet to see Bray or Majewski pitch. I heard Bray has good stuff and was wondering what you guys thought who have seen him. Does he have closer stuff or does he look more like a solid middle relief guy?

howyoufreelin
07-22-2006, 04:31 PM
I could see Bray as a potential closer next year. He's got pretty nasty stuff. And he can get both lefties and righties out. I've heard that if he can continue to develop his changeup, which we have the right guy to do that in Mario Soto, he could also be used as a starter. I'd like to see him as a starter more than a closer, imo.

Brian
07-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I saw him the other day and he looked to be in control the entire inning. So far he's been very good. As to closer next year, I don't know. I have a funny feeling it will be Guardado's job for one more season.

fisch11
07-22-2006, 04:48 PM
He had a very nasty slurve last night that he threw to both lefties and righties. But he stuck out 2 righties with it.

Superdude
07-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Good to hear we might get something good out of that deal. I did hear that he has a decent changeup. He's still young, so I hope we don't automatically relegate him to relief if Soto can make a good starter out of him.

EKURed
07-23-2006, 12:45 AM
I like him so far. By far the key to the deal IMO.

ThornWithin81
07-23-2006, 12:50 AM
Not to jinx it, but Bray so far has shown some real flashes of greatness when he's pitched for us. There's some talk of him being a future Closer for the team, and I can certainly see that.

I think he's our Closer in 2008. With the way Eddie is pitching right now, we'd be fools to look elsewhere next season, provided he stays "Everday" Eddie.

Phhhl
07-23-2006, 12:56 AM
I don't think Bray is a closer, after having seen him several times. He's probably the best player from the trade, and I love his stuff. But, when talking about left handed closers, you have to ask yourself who you want facing Pujols, Cabrera, Lee or any of the other great right handed hitters in the National League with the bases loaded? BJ Ryan, Wagner and Fuentes are all either incredibly deceptive with their delivery, or throw 100 mph. Bray doesn't qualify on either count.

I do believe he can get a lot of right handers out and is much better than a situational lefty. He could be a setup man. Heck, Narron could name him "closer". But, there is a category of these guys known as "elite closers", and I think that is what people mean when they use that term to describe a pitcher. I think that definition is stretching the truth with Bill Bray, but I am glad we have him and believe he will do an excellent job for us moving forward.

Tornon
07-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Guardado doesn't throw exceptionally hard or have a funky delivery and he has been fine most of his career as a closer, no reason Bray can as well.. he just has to spot his pitches.

Ltlabner
07-23-2006, 07:22 AM
I was at the game last night and he pitched very well for 1 1/3rd innings (or whatever it was - part of one inning and part of the next I believe).

He was definatley in control and he faced the heart of the Brewers lineup. Pretty impressive for a kid who got called up last month.

It's way to early to worry about what his role will be. Let's let him use his natural tallents, see if Soto can give him a new pitche and let him be a while. But I do agree, that overall, he's pretty exciting.

Hubba
07-23-2006, 09:04 AM
I think that Soto took his ball and went home. How hard does Bray throw?

Let's let him use his natural tallents, see if Soto can give him a new pitche and let him be a while. But I do agree, that overall, he's pretty exciting.[/quote]

2001MUgrad
07-23-2006, 08:33 PM
I've only seen him once or twice as they haven't been on TV much since the break. He has been money so far. If everything I've read is right about him he does have the stuff and the potential to be a closer.

Phhhl
07-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Guardado used to throw with much greater velocity?