PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Hatte's and Casey's stats

ikkirus
07-22-2006, 10:37 PM
How does Hatte compare in '06 vs. Casey through 100+ games in the past 3 years both offensively and defensively?

jimbo
07-22-2006, 10:49 PM
I think it's tough to compare the two offensively because Casey missed some time with a fractured back and Hatteberg gets put in the lineup when the matchups favor him. It wouldn't be a fair comparison IMO.

Defensively, I think Casey is better. His fielding percentage is 1.000 this season and he led all first basemen last season in fielding percentage.

Having said that though, I am happy with Hatteberg.

ikkirus
07-22-2006, 11:05 PM
true....i really meant Casey's past two to three health seasons. say, playing 80 of 100 or so...

GAC
07-23-2006, 07:18 AM
Stat dufus?

Obviously you've never read the book "How To Make Friends and Influence People" :lol:

Jpup
07-23-2006, 07:22 AM
How does Hatte compare in '06 vs. Casey through 100+ games in the past 3 years both offensively and defensively?

Hatteberg has been better IMO.

cincy09
07-23-2006, 10:25 AM
For all the criticism that Hatte got at the beginning of the year, including from myself, I must say he has been nothing short of spectacular. His patients at the plate is amazing. Nothing like having a career year at the age of 36. Also keep in mind, this guy has never played for a losing team. He is used to winning, and that most likely carries over to the locker room.

TOBTTReds
07-23-2006, 10:38 AM
I think Hatte's defense is much better than Casey's. Fielding percentage does not show how good a fielder is, especially a first baseman. Hatte can pick it pretty well at first, even though there have been a couple plays that I have questioned from him. I think his range is a bit better, but I don't have zone ratings to back that up.

Casey had one great year hitting when he had 25 HR's and 99 rbi IIRC, other than that, he was very mediocre, or below despite a good batting avg.

edabbs44
07-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Casey had one great year hitting when he had 25 HR's and 99 rbi IIRC, other than that, he was very mediocre, or below despite a good batting avg.
Um....what has Hatteberg been then?

Hatteberg, this season, is on pace for 443 ABs. .320/.414/.496 with 69 runs scored, 14 HR and 52 RBI.

Good year for the money, but I wouldn't tout his peripherals as anything more than average.

Rob Dicken
07-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Only thing really wrong with Casey was that he grounded into a crap load of double plays. Other than that, he was a pretty solid first baseman (offensively and defensively.)

membengal
07-23-2006, 10:55 AM
It's spelled doofus, NOT dufus.

And, calling people names who analyze the game with their eyes and their heads isn't the best start to a thread...

TOBTTReds
07-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Um....what has Hatteberg been then?

Hatteberg, this season, is on pace for 443 ABs. .320/.414/.496 with 69 runs scored, 14 HR and 52 RBI.

Good year for the money, but I wouldn't tout his peripherals as anything more than average.

Where did I say he was anything better than average? Actually I didn't say anything about Hatte's offense. But comparing Casey last year, to Hatte this year, Hatte has been much better.

.312/.371/.423.........Casey
.320/.414/.496.........Hatte

Numbers edge clearly goes to Hatteberg.

edabbs44
07-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Where did I say he was anything better than average? Actually I didn't say anything about Hatte's offense. But comparing Casey last year, to Hatte this year, Hatte has been much better.

.312/.371/.423.........Casey
.320/.414/.496.........Hatte

Numbers edge clearly goes to Hatteberg.
Check out Hatte's numbers from last year.

jimbo
07-23-2006, 02:29 PM
I think Hatte's defense is much better than Casey's. Fielding percentage does not show how good a fielder is, especially a first baseman. Hatte can pick it pretty well at first, even though there have been a couple plays that I have questioned from him. I think his range is a bit better, but I don't have zone ratings to back that up.

I don't agree on the defense. Casey can pick em out at first with the best of them.

Casey has had more than one good season. He's had 5 80+ RBI season hitting in 99 twice. He's also had 3 seasons where he hit 20+ home runs. Hatteberg has had only 1 80+ RBI season and has never hit over 15 home runs. Casey's career average is 30 points better and his career OBP is 11 points better.

You can't use this season to compare these two because Hatteberg is only being used when the situation favors him. His number are going to be inflated because of that. If he played everyday, his numbers would not be where they are now. By looking at career numbers, Casey is a better overall hitter.

TOBTTReds
07-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Check out Hatte's numbers from last year.

Oh I definitely know that this year Hatte is hitting out of his mind. But the comparison was is Hatteberg better than Casey based on numbers. So I used this year for Hatte with the Reds, and Casey's last year with the Reds. No one saw Hatte doing this before the season started. I'm with you on this one.

ChatterRed
07-23-2006, 09:07 PM
For all the criticism that Hatte ................ His patients at the plate is amazing. Nothing like having a career year at the age of 36. Also keep in mind, this guy has never played for a losing team. He is used to winning, and that most likely carries over to the locker room.

Should we start calling him DOCTOR HATTEBERG?