PDA

View Full Version : And yet another Bengal has been arrested

Reds4Life
07-23-2006, 11:55 AM
http://www.700wlw.com/pages/localNews.html?feed=119585&article=595460

This is getting to be ridiculous.

I’m a Marvin supporter, but the number of incidents this off season is unacceptable.

Matt700wlw
07-23-2006, 12:01 PM
I would say Matthias Askew is gone.

He never did anything to contribute anyway.

ThornWithin81
07-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Wow. How many is that this offseason?

nmculbreth
07-23-2006, 12:17 PM
This team is completely out of control, Marvin and company need to weed out these troublemakers before they bring down the entire team. I'd cut everyone other than Thurman and I'd even put him on a short leash.

Danny Serafini
07-23-2006, 12:22 PM
This one bothers me the least of any of the arrests, it's just someone being a knucklehead. That said, his lack of production makes it easy for the team to use him as an example and dump him. Mattias Askew, meet Josh Hancock.

redsfan30
07-23-2006, 12:38 PM
This situation with the Bengals went far past rediculous long, long ago.

Yachtzee
07-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Granted the troubles that some of these guys have gotten into occurred before they became Bengals, you have to wonder how long until all the goodwill Marvin Lewis has built up in the community is squandered because of character issue guys giving the Bengals a bad name. People seem to be focusing on the bad eggs rather than the good character guys like Carson Palmer and David Pollack. The talk isn't about how well the team did last season and where it looks to go, but who's next to be arrested.

Then again, the Bearcats have had their share of character issues, haven't they? If Marvin wins, I guess people will be willing to overlook it.

Dom Heffner
07-23-2006, 12:41 PM
For someone with a reputation as being a defensive genius and hard-nosed coach, Lewis seems to be heading up a pretty lousy defensive squad who can't stay out of trouble.

Danny Serafini
07-23-2006, 01:01 PM
I think Marvin is becoming Brian Billick's alter ego. Billick made his name as an offensive genius and then put together a team with a putrid offense and incredible defense. Lewis seems to be doing the same in reverse.

larks
07-23-2006, 02:44 PM
becoming the FsU of the nFL

Caveat Emperor
07-23-2006, 04:04 PM

I was going to go with Portland Trail Blazers, but that'll work nicely as well.

Tony Cloninger
07-23-2006, 04:20 PM
IMO..... the reason, besides the obvious talent, that Offense is always king in cincy when they have good teams, even in the middle 70's with Anderson to Curtis/Joiner/Myers....... is that MB will pay big time for skill players like WR, RB and of course a QB (which you have to pay)...... but he seems to have a distaste for paying a CB or S top notch money. Let alone a DE that can rush the passer or a DT that can really help the run. They signed Adams, i know, but they usually pass on better, i.e. expensive, DL.

As far as the Gangsters and Thugs drama...... it is getting out of hand.
I wonder if some of these guys feel it would be better to lock themselves in a closet until training camp.

BuckWoody
07-23-2006, 04:52 PM
It's getting out of hand. :angry: My hope is that once the team starts camp, these guys start to get weeded out.

Make it so, Marvin. :fineprint

traderumor
07-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Granted the troubles that some of these guys have gotten into occurred before they became Bengals, you have to wonder how long until all the goodwill Marvin Lewis has built up in the community is squandered because of character issue guys giving the Bengals a bad name. People seem to be focusing on the bad eggs rather than the good character guys like Carson Palmer and David Pollack. The talk isn't about how well the team did last season and where it looks to go, but who's next to be arrested.

Then again, the Bearcats have had their share of character issues, haven't they? If Marvin wins, I guess people will be willing to overlook it.

No, some of us realize who the responsibility parties are (the players) and that the media and fans like to wag their hypocritical, self-righteous fingers at Marvin.

redsfanmia
07-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Its getting embarrasing IMO. Cutting this Askew guy just because he is not an important member of the team sends the wrong message. The message it sends is you can be a knucklehead if your a starter but if your a knucklehead and a backup see you later. Marvin really needs to kiabosh all of this or the Bengals will again become a laughing stock.

MWM
07-23-2006, 07:37 PM
At the collegiate level, I can understand the idea of a coach losing control. But at the professional level, when even the league minimum players are making big money, and they're grown men and not teenagers, there's not a whole lot a coach can do to "control" these guys. If this is on Marvin, it's because he went and got these guys, not because he's not controlling them and has lost control.

Everyone has weaknesses. Marvin's is that he thinks he can fix the troublemakers. He purposely looks for guys who are undervalue based on off-the-field problems who he thinks he can reform. The problem is that it's difficult to reform a grown man with a lot of money in his pocket.

And it's not like he can just cut these guys. It's not allowed within the rules. The best he can do is wait for camp and make the claim that they're being outplayed by other players and then cut them.

GAC
07-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Alot of these players have the attitude/mentality that works/is successful on the playing field.... aggressive, go-getter, some what out of control. They play with that wreckless abandonment. unfortunately they can't seem to separate/control it off the field because it is WHO they are. ;)

You are seeing it all over the NFL.

traderumor
07-23-2006, 08:48 PM
At the collegiate level, I can understand the idea of a coach losing control. But at the professional level, when even the league minimum players are making big money, and they're grown men and not teenagers, there's not a whole lot a coach can do to "control" these guys. If this is on Marvin, it's because he went and got these guys, not because he's not controlling them and has lost control.

Everyone has weaknesses. Marvin's is that he thinks he can fix the troublemakers. He purposely looks for guys who are undervalue based on off-the-field problems who he thinks he can reform. The problem is that it's difficult to reform a grown man with a lot of money in his pocket.

And it's not like he can just cut these guys. It's not allowed within the rules. The best he can do is wait for camp and make the claim that they're being outplayed by other players and then cut them.
That was much better said than what I was trying to say, and much less abrasive. Good post.

guttle11
07-23-2006, 11:32 PM
It's getting out of hand. :angry: My hope is that once the team starts camp, these guys start to get weeded out.

Make it so, Marvin. :fineprint

Don't give Chris Henry any ideas.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-23-2006, 11:37 PM
This team is completely out of control, Marvin and company need to weed out these troublemakers before they bring down the entire team. I'd cut everyone other than Thurman and I'd even put him on a short leash.

Wow, everyone but Thurman, shows what you can get away with if your good huh, thinking like that is the problem in pro sports today, im too good to be REALLY punished. Cut the whole team. GO BROWNS!

Gainesville Red
07-24-2006, 12:15 AM

Guess who just got some rep from the gator.:thumbup:

nmculbreth
07-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Wow, everyone but Thurman, shows what you can get away with if your good huh, thinking like that is the problem in pro sports today, im too good to be REALLY punished. Cut the whole team. GO BROWNS!

Thurman wasn't arrested and without the details of his substance abuse violation I'm willing to give him a little bit of leeway. I'm not condoning his behavior but in my humble opinion he isn't on the same level of Henry, Nicholson or Rucker.

WVRed
07-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Thurman wasn't arrested and without the details of his substance abuse violation I'm willing to give him a little bit of leeway. I'm not condoning his behavior but in my humble opinion he isn't on the same level of Henry, Nicholson or Rucker.

Thurman was disciplined once during the regular season for breaking curfew. He sat out a quarter, but that was about it.

flyer85
07-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Maybe this is the new club initiation.