PDA

View Full Version : EE not playing so aurilia can hit into dps

redsupport
07-23-2006, 04:21 PM
this years version of casey, It is amazing that ee does not play every day

IrishDavidKY
07-23-2006, 04:35 PM
I agree!!! It's also amazing that WK called up Denorfia to sit the bench.

ThornWithin81
07-23-2006, 04:37 PM

Yeah...for an "everyday player", he's missing an awful lot of starts. :confused:

Jpup
07-23-2006, 04:39 PM

Krivsky has said numerous times that it's up to Narron how he uses the players. Also, what does Aurilia playing have to do with Deno?

KoryMac5
07-23-2006, 04:40 PM
I love EE but comparing Aurilia to Casey not even close. Casey has thus far in his career has GIDP 136 times in 4716 plate appearences. Rich has GIDP 113 times in 5142 trips. Ripkin is the all time leader by the way with 350 I believe. I do hope we are showcasing Rich for a trade though.

Hey Meat
07-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Yep, we are showcasing him. Until the last few days, I thought we were showcasing Denorfia too.

UKFlounder
07-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Why the dislike of Rich? He's been a good player for the Reds, and for a backup/platoon player (or extra infielder, or whatever term you wish to use), I don't know who could do the job better than he has. Who would take his spot on the roster - Olmedo or Bergolla?

As for Deno, perhaps his playing time is based on performance. Griffey's obviously going to be starting virtually everyday and Dunn should as well, so should Denofria start ahead of Freel? Ryan does not seem to be an everyday player, so Chris should get some time, but if both are available, Freel's the better option.

Of course, they could put Chris in RF & Freel at 3B and bench Edwin, but I guess that wouldn't be any better, would it?

Silly Narron - playing guys who produce. What's he thinking?

boognish
07-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Casey grounds into DPs about once every 35 AB for his career as a LH hitter. Aurilia, though lead-footed, hits into them at a reduced rate from Casey, but his 6 GIDP this season (stats per ESPN) is about average--your slow RH hitters are expected to do so every now and then. Three this homestand just make it seem like more.

EE hit into the same number of DP as Aurilia last season (8) in half the PA. He should be playing more, IMO, but Aurilia has been hot and is having the second-best season of his career OPS-wise. Narron overvalues Aurilia, but he does have value.

Jpup
07-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Why the dislike of Rich? He's been a good player for the Reds, and for a backup/platoon player (or extra infielder, or whatever term you wish to use), I don't know who could do the job better than he has. Who would take his spot on the roster - Olmedo or Bergolla?

As for Deno, perhaps his playing time is based on performance. Griffey's obviously going to be starting virtually everyday and Dunn should as well, so should Denofria start ahead of Freel? Ryan does not seem to be an everyday player, so Chris should get some time, but if both are available, Freel's the better option.

Of course, they could put Chris in RF & Freel at 3B and bench Edwin, but I guess that wouldn't be any better, would it?

Silly Narron - playing guys who produce. What's he thinking?

They could move Phillips to short and play Aurilia or Freel at 2nd base. We know that's not happenning this year though.

ThornWithin81
07-23-2006, 05:12 PM
I'd really rather not trade Rich.

James B.
07-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Every game the reds lose someone complains about something Narron did. I didn't here anyone complain last night when Freel was playing over Deno but today I guess it's a bad move because the reds lost. The fans have been on Aurilia for two years and he has done nothing but produce. That is why he is playing every day. When he cools of he will lose playing time.

dougdirt
07-23-2006, 05:39 PM
James, I would buy that idea, except Edwin has been even hotter than Rich and keeps getting to play every third day....its not becuase Rich is hot, its becuase Narron likes him.

Jpup
07-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Every game the reds lose someone complains about something Narron did. I didn't here anyone complain last night when Freel was playing over Deno but today I guess it's a bad move because the reds lost. The fans have been on Aurilia for two years and he has done nothing but produce. That is why he is playing every day. When he cools of he will lose playing time.

no he won't.

James B.
07-23-2006, 05:44 PM
James, I would buy that idea, except Edwin has been even hotter than Rich and keeps getting to play every third day....its not becuase Rich is hot, its becuase Narron likes him.

He likes him because he produces.

dougdirt
07-23-2006, 05:54 PM
He produces what? Today he started against a right handed pitcher. Aurilia CANT hit right handed pitching. He hasnt produced against right handers all year.

fearofpopvol1
07-23-2006, 06:09 PM
I was fine with them playing Aurilia. But, they should have started Rich at SS (instead of Castro) and played EdE at 3rd.

jimbo
07-23-2006, 06:20 PM
J....its not becuase Rich is hot, its becuase Narron likes him.

That's just bunk.

ThornWithin81
07-23-2006, 06:26 PM
its not becuase Rich is hot, its becuase Narron likes him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Aurilia is coming off of a career long hitting streak? I think these past few weeks he has been rather hot.

dougdirt
07-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Which is true and has already been covered. Edwin has been hotter, despite Richs hitting streak. No one is saying dont play Rich. Most are just saying dont play Rich at third base every game he is going to play.

crazybob60
07-23-2006, 07:59 PM
I wonder if the Reds are really overvaluing RA to the point of them thinking he might be returning to his form when he was with the Giants, but you also have to think that the time after he left the Giants and the time from when he joined the Reds, those years were really bad for Rich if I remember correctly (mind you, I am just basing this on my memory not on actual stats I am looking at) and the way he is performing now is a great deal better, no?

I just looked it up and I believe I am referring to his 2004 season with SEA and SD where he hit only 6 HR 44 RBI .246 BA .314 OBP .353 SLG 98 Hits in 399 At Bats. That is a huge dropoff from his SF hey dey and his two seasons here in Cincy he has doubled this performance almost and this season he shows signs of getting close to that 20 Homer plateau hopefully.

This is why I think they MIGHT be holding onto RA and also why he may be playing more often. Just think he could possibly return to his SF hey dey of say 1999 to 2002. Especially that 2001 season, boy what a turn of the tide that would be, huh? But everybody and their brother probably knows that may never happen once again!

Reds1
07-23-2006, 08:03 PM

Freel is on Fire in case you missed. I guess RA is pretty hot too, but I want to see some EE too!

jimbo
07-23-2006, 08:06 PM
I guess RA is pretty hot too, but I want to see some EE too!

You might be on the wrong board for that. :laugh:

westofyou
07-23-2006, 08:06 PM
this years version of casey, It is amazing that ee does not play every day
Bah... what he has 7? Kearns had 14... in half a season... yet, nary a mention.

Reds1
07-23-2006, 08:14 PM
The good problem to have is guys like Free, Phillips, Hatte, and even RA are all playing well. Add EE and getting Ross back it's going to be impossible to play them all. Narron is not going to keep everyone happy. Well, except for RA. :)

2001MUgrad
07-23-2006, 08:30 PM
I like RA and have no problem with him playing what so ever. But him playing should not cost EE starts and at-bats. They should go back to using him like they did at the beginning of the year as a platoon with Hattieberg at first and for spot starts at SS, 2B, and 3B. You could play him 3 out of 5 games without him costing EE playing time.
If they aren't going to play EE they should have traded him instead of Austin. Its not like he isn't working to correct his fielding problems. Most of his errors are out of agression, which I feel is more tolerable than passive errors.

MaineRed
07-23-2006, 09:58 PM
If they aren't going to play EE they should have traded him instead of Austin.

Good plan :rolleyes:.

Maybe we could throw Homer Bailey into the trade as well since we obviously aren't going to call him up this season.

Got that Wayne, anyone not in today's line-up might as well be traded since Narron isn't going to use them.

I just don't want to hear any complaints when Freel crashes into a wall and Wise is your new starting RFer or when Rich pulls a hamstring and Castro is the everyday thrid bagger.

The Reds have some depth. I have no problem with that. RA is not a spring chicken and that position is Edwin's for the future as long as he remains a Red. I don't think trading him because he isn't being used as much as some would like, this particular week is the best idea.

I think people need to take a step back on this whole Edwin thing. The guy isn't Frank Robinson, lets try to remember that. And Rich isn't exactly Pokey Reese with the stick. But you'd think so reading this board.

What a pathetic thread title, by the way.

KoryMac5
07-23-2006, 10:03 PM
The good problem to have is guys like Free, Phillips, Hatte, and even RA are all playing well. Add EE and getting Ross back it's going to be impossible to play them all. Narron is not going to keep everyone happy. Well, except for RA. :)

It is a very good problem to have. Rich plays multiple positions and so does Freel it gives the Reds so much more flexibility than other teams have. I would however like to see Rich get dealt for some pitching. But if he stays I will be happy.

TOBTTReds
07-23-2006, 11:20 PM
EdE lost his job because of injury. He was one of the teams best run producers when he got hurt, and probably still is now. He is a doubles machine. I know Narron is old school, so what happened to not losing your job bc of injury?

flyer85
07-23-2006, 11:26 PM
EdE lost his job because of injury. He was one of the teams best run producers when he got hurt, and probably still is now. He is a doubles machine. I know Narron is old school, so what happened to not losing your job bc of injury?... must only applies to scrappy veteran types.

BTW, EE is OPSing well over 1200 since coming off the DL. He is beyond hot.

redsupport
07-24-2006, 12:41 AM
but not as hot as Aurilia, I guess

registerthis
07-24-2006, 09:24 AM
no he won't.

Well, that settles it then.