PDA

View Full Version : Mays Stays??? (plus some more stuff...)

dabvu2498
07-24-2006, 10:47 AM
REDS NOTES

Mays stays in Reds rotation, at least till Claussen's back.
By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

CINCINNATI | As is his way, Cincinnati Reds manager Jerry Narron was coy about the future of his pitching rotation, saying the plan was mapped through Friday in Milwaukee, when Eric Milton would pitch.

The team needs a starter Saturday. Joe Mays? Joe Mays, with a 0-1 record and 7.33 ERA for his four starts?

"As of right now, unless something changes — a four-man rotation or a trade — Mays will go back out there," Narron said.

A four-man rotation?

"I just threw that out there to give people something to talk about," Narron said with a laugh.

One option could be Brandon Claussen, who passed a test of his shoulder and back Sunday with a 15-minute, 50-pitch bullpen session. Claussen believes he will pitch on rehab for Class AAA Louisville on Wednesday.

Could he be ready to return in Milwaukee?

"That's my goal," he said. "I'll use Wednesday to get back in the groove and then, 'Let's go.' I want to be part of something good, and something good is certainly happening here right now."

Injured catcher David Ross will play for Class AA Chattanooga today and Tuesday, "Then the plan is for him to be ready to play for us Wednesday (in Houston)," Narron said.

No DL next year

Reds relief pitcher Kent Mercker is 38, near retirement and on the disabled list (elbow tendinitis) for the second time this year, a place most baseball players hate to be.

"I'll bet I won't be on the DL next year, unless they have one at Muirfield Village Country Club," he said.

Mercker was injected with cortisone Saturday and said, "I knew I was headed for the disabled list when they suggested the shot and asked me if I would accept a rehab assignment. ... If we were 30 games up or 30 games out, I'd take 20 Advil and go out there. But I don't want to worry about my arm and about being behind 2-and-0 all the time. They're just getting rid of another old guy for a young guy (Brian Shackelford, 29)."

Mercker had been pitching successfully — no earned runs in his last nine appearances and a 1.50 ERA in his last 15 assignments.

Three for two

Edwin Encarnacion has a five-game hitting streak during which he has hit .533 with a home run and four RBIs, but he wasn't in Sunday's Reds lineup.

That's because Rich Aurilia, who is hitting .373 during a 14-game hitting streak that ended with a pinch-hitting assignment Saturday, and Scott Hatteberg, who is hitting .458 with three homers and 10 RBIs over his last 15 games, need to play, too.

Narron admits finding playing time for three guys for two positions (first base, third base) is a delicate issue.

"It's a great situation when all of them are hitting, and you would like to have all three in the lineup," Narron said. "I have to juggle as best I can, make sure they're all rested, sharp. I hope they all continue hot and hope they continue the rest of the way. I'll go by matchups and how many games they've played in a row."

Have suit, will travel

The guys in the Reds clubhouse swear it wasn't a setup, that it wasn't initiation for the new guys from Washington.

But both Royce Clayton and Gary Majewski walked into the clubhouse Sunday morning with their suitcase packed and wearing dress clothes, required for travel.

They apparently thought the Reds were leaving for Houston right after the game. The itinerary passed out by traveling secretary Gary Wahoff clearly tells players the plane leaves tonight at 6.

"I can only lead the horses to the water; I can't make them read the itinerary," Wahoff said.

While the rest of the Reds laughed heartily when Clayton and Majewski walked in, dragging their suitcases, nobody claimed the prank.

Contact this reporter by e-mail hmccoy@DaytonDailyNews.com.

Find this article at:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/072406redsnotes.html

flyer85
07-24-2006, 10:51 AM
The Reds didn't see anything from Mays on Saturday that they hadn't already seen before. That being said I don't see why he won't be out there again next Saturday.

redsupport
07-24-2006, 10:56 AM
yes I think he has performed exceptionally well, I think his performance merits strong consideration, in fact why keep him at the back of the rotation, after all his superior transcendent statistics are the envy of all of baseball

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Hopefully i figured this correctly, but wouldn't we benifit from going with the 4 man rotation on the next time around. This would set up Harang and Arroyo in 4 of the seven games upcoming against the cards. Right now as it sits i don't think Arroyo will even pitch against the cards. Big mistake.

Date Opponent Score Dec IP H R ER HR BB K
May 1 STL 6-1 W 9.0 4 1 1 1 3 4

yea he did get lit up a bit last time he faced them, but it looked like he did not have his best stuff like he usually does. And Harang is 2-o against them this year. Right now as it sits we are going to throw the back half at them in the two upcoming series. Please if anyone finds error in this let me know, but I think im accurate.

smith288
07-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Am I the only one confused as why its so hard to move Phillips to SS, Aurilia to 2nd and keep Edwin at 3rd? I know its not XBox baseball here but Phillips is athletic enough to transition in my opinion.

Johnny Footstool
07-24-2006, 11:24 AM
"It's a great situation when all of them are hitting, and you would like to have all three in the lineup," Narron said. "I have to juggle as best I can, make sure they're all rested, sharp. I hope they all continue hot and hope they continue the rest of the way. I'll go by matchups and how many games they've played in a row."

If he was really interested in playing "matchups," Rich Aurilia would never come to the plate vs. righthanders.

Jr's Boy
07-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Find this article at:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/072406redsnotes.html
Nice sig pic Dabvu,one of your hounds?

vic715
07-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Bring up Germano now.The kid deserves a shot.

ThornWithin81
07-24-2006, 11:42 AM
yes I think he has performed exceptionally well, I think his performance merits strong consideration, in fact why keep him at the back of the rotation, after all his superior transcendent statistics are the envy of all of baseball

We simply don't have anyone to replace him with. So, until Claussen can come back, or a trade works itself out, we're biting the bullet and hoping he doesn't cost us too many games.

Makes sense.

redsupport
07-24-2006, 11:46 AM
he is the essence of putrescence, three relievers pitching three innnings each is far superior to the absurd metric of running this retread to the mound

Caveat Emperor
07-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Am I the only one confused as why its so hard to move Phillips to SS, Aurilia to 2nd and keep Edwin at 3rd? I know its not XBox baseball here but Phillips is athletic enough to transition in my opinion.

Xbox/fantasy baseball is exactly what that kind of thinking is.

Phillips is a young hitter mired in a horrific slump, his HR on Sunday notwithstanding. Do you really think it would be a good idea to give him new and additional defensive responsibilities as he is trying to right himself at the dish?

The EE situation is trivial compared with the need to get Phillips' bat going again, getting Junior to stop posting Castro-like OBPs, finding some production out of the 8 spot in the lineup, and getting a 5th starter that can keep the Reds in a game.

Jpup
07-24-2006, 01:02 PM
So, where are all the Narron supporters in regards to Edwin? I heard, "he will start, at least, 60 games in the second half" or "he will play everyday when he is healthy" until I was sick of it and I think this proves that it has nothing to do with his ankle. Narron just has a man crush on Rich Aurilia.

OldXOhio
07-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Bring up Germano now.The kid deserves a shot.

Yeah, I can't see why you don't do this, even if for just one start until Claussen returns. As flyer stated, everyone knows what Mays has to offer now. Unfortunately, that list includes opposing hitters.

Even if Germano would somehow be worse, what's the harm?

fielder's choice
07-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I can't see why you don't do this, even if for just one start until Claussen returns. As flyer stated, everyone knows what Mays has to offer now. Unfortunately, that list includes opposing hitters.

Even if Germano would somehow be worse, what's the harm?

There is no harm. He might get lit up, but there's no way he could be any worse than Mays; he's as bad as it gets. Worthless. DFA. Now.

BenHayes
07-24-2006, 06:14 PM
It wouldn't be a stretch for Phillips to play short it was his original position before the Reds picked him up. The problem is that Clayton has hit pretty well for the Reds. No matter the case Edwin should play third and Aurilia should be the one looking for playing time. As far as the Mays problem they should cut ties with him he was never an answer to the fifth starter problem. But realistically I don't think Claussen is either, unfortunately one is as bad as the other.

Redhook
07-24-2006, 06:35 PM
There is no harm. He might get lit up, but there's no way he could be any worse than Mays; he's as bad as it gets. Worthless. DFA. Now.

Mays is as bad as it gets. Worst I've ever seen. I also don't understand why they wouldn't try Germano for a start??? Do they think he'd be worse? If they don't think he can do better than Mays then he should be let go too. There is absolutely no way Mays is our best option right now.

James B.
07-24-2006, 08:27 PM
What is bad about knowing Mays is going to pitch is that he has zero upside. With him what you see is what you get. If they call a guy up, he might suprise and pitch pretty good, but we know Mays is never,ever,ever going to pitch one good game.

MaineRed
07-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Narron just has a man crush on Rich Aurilia.

Good one, haven't heard that one before. Got any others?

If you guys really think Narron had a man crush on Rich and that was the reason Rich was playing, fine, point made. How about putting a sock in it for awhile. We get it. Rich stinks, Edwin is the man and Narron is a moron. Message recieved. Why does it have to be the subject du jour?

I'm going to be sick if I have to see one more person say, "am I the only one who wonders how come EE doesn't play?"

Read the board folks, half the people here seem to have some sort of man crush on Edwin.

The reason there are Narron lovers on the board has to do with his performance. The Reds are winning under him. They have't finished above .500 since 99. They haven't made the play-offs since 95. Right now they are above .500, as they were under Narron last year and they are in line to make the play-offs right now. Does the guy have the same hunches and gut feelings at all times as every Reds fan on the planet? Of course not. But he is doing his job better than it is has been done in 6 years. Isn't that worth something? If Narron is purposely trying to sink the Reds, what the heck were Boone and Miley doing?

oregonred
07-25-2006, 12:15 AM
The only thing I can think is that Germano is being dangled as trade bait until July 31st deadline and Wayne is afraid to bring him up for a start since he doesn't want to see him get shelled and thus decrease his trade value (the unknown factor). I"m making the assumption Wayne doesn't think he's a viable MLB starter.

Personally, assuming he's not dealt by the weekend, I would have Germano starting Saturday's game and Mays would be packing his bags after the trip to Houston ends.

redsupport
07-25-2006, 12:23 AM
Where would the destination for Mays' bags be sent. Would they be stowed away on a trip to Cuban for a reunion with the estimable Orlando Pena. Or would they be sent to Florida in search of the pheenom, Mo Sanford? Perhaps they should be sent to the library searching for the mechanical engineering student Jay Hook?

Jpup
07-25-2006, 12:59 AM
Good one, haven't heard that one before. Got any others?

If you guys really think Narron had a man crush on Rich and that was the reason Rich was playing, fine, point made. How about putting a sock in it for awhile. We get it. Rich stinks, Edwin is the man and Narron is a moron. Message recieved. Why does it have to be the subject du jour?

I'm going to be sick if I have to see one more person say, "am I the only one who wonders how come EE doesn't play?"

Read the board folks, half the people here seem to have some sort of man crush on Edwin.

The reason there are Narron lovers on the board has to do with his performance. The Reds are winning under him. They have't finished above .500 since 99. They haven't made the play-offs since 95. Right now they are above .500, as they were under Narron last year and they are in line to make the play-offs right now. Does the guy have the same hunches and gut feelings at all times as every Reds fan on the planet? Of course not. But he is doing his job better than it is has been done in 6 years. Isn't that worth something? If Narron is purposely trying to sink the Reds, what the heck were Boone and Miley doing?

If you have a problem with my posts, please PM me. You are no one to tell me what to post and not to post. There are moderators for that. :thumbup:

oregonred
07-25-2006, 12:59 AM
Where would the destination for Mays' bags be sent. Would they be stowed away on a trip to Cuban for a reunion with the estimable Orlando Pena. Or would they be sent to Florida in search of the pheenom, Mo Sanford? Perhaps they should be sent to the library searching for the mechanical engineering student Jay Hook?

Fittingly where else but then transferred onto the "GRAVYtrain"