PDA

View Full Version : Did Marty say something offensive a couple days ago?

TOBTTReds
07-24-2006, 05:14 PM
I couldn't listen to the games the last couple days, but I heard that there was an email about Marty saying something that he never should have said on the air. He said that he went too far and was going to talk about it later during his show. Anyone know what he said? Thanks.

registerthis
07-24-2006, 05:15 PM
I heard that there was an email about Marty saying something that he never should have said on the air. Anyone know what he said?

"...and that just proves what a truly outstanding ballplayer Adam Dunn is."

smith288
07-24-2006, 05:16 PM
"I was wrong about < insert remark here >"

Red Leader
07-24-2006, 05:22 PM
OOOOOOOOhhh, this is like today's caption contest.

http://matrix.cincinnati.com/chat/img/marty.jpg

TOBTTReds
07-24-2006, 05:23 PM
I expected these responses....anyone know for real?

Carin4Narron
07-24-2006, 05:25 PM
It was something like this, some fans thought Marty was against having doubleheaders if there was a rain out. Marty isn't against them, only said he and the team prefer waiting the rain out and play on the scheduled day. It won't tax the bullpen that way. Marty was just tired answering email about it and he got testy. He said sorry for it yesteday.

TOBTTReds
07-24-2006, 05:26 PM
It was something like this, some fans thought Marty was against having doubleheaders if there was a rain out. Marty isn't against them, only said he and the team prefer waiting the rain out and play on the scheduled day. It won't tax the bullpen that way. Marty was just tired answering email about it and he got testy. He said sorry for it yesteday.

Thanks.

Red Leader
07-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Did he mention how doubleheaders affect his golf schedule? :dunno:

Red Leader
07-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Sorry, I'll stop now.

westofyou
07-24-2006, 05:28 PM
That was the first time I've listened to Marty all season and he did get "short" and referenced his "own Hall of fame career" when a guy slammed him by saying "Waite Hoyt, a real hall of famer used to do doublehearders by himself, much like pitchers used to pitch nine innings a game."

Marty wasn't having it.

Team Clark
I listened to Marty read an e-mail while I was listening to the XM yesterday. This "fan" really ripped Marty AND took a shot at Thom. Maybe this is what you are referring too? Marty had some turse words and carried it pretty far. IMO he was right to do so and shame on someone for setting Marty up like that.

DeadRedinCT
I couldn't listen to the games the last couple days, but I heard that there was an email about Marty saying something that he never should have said on the air. He said that he went too far and was going to talk about it later during his show. Anyone know what he said? Thanks.

If I'm remembering correctly, Marty received an email during one of the broadcasts from a fan wondering why the Reds/MLB allowed the Friday night game to even been played, when it was restarted at 10pm. The fan wrote it wasn't fair to fans. Marty stated that there is no way baseball players, managers, umpires and even broadcasters want to do double headers, whether they are twi-night or day-night doubleheaders. This prompted a slew of fan email responses. This prompted Marty to pop off but I don't remember him using any taboo words or anything. Finally, he received an email but he didn't read it - he said he was going to use that email as a basis for a segment on his show that he does with Tracy Jones.

Of course, I might have missed something.

Edit: Dang... when I wrote my reply, no one had responded.

Team Clark
07-24-2006, 05:29 PM
That was the first time I've listened to Marty all season and he did get "short" and referenced his "own Hall of fame career" when a guy slammed him by saying "Waite Hoyt, a real hall of famer used to do doublehearders by himself, much like pitchers used to pitch nine innings a game."

Marty wasn't having it.

Ok I heard that one too. I figured he reacted more harsh to the slam towards his son.

registerthis
07-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Sounds like Marty loves getting emails.

StillFunkyB
07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
If I'm remembering correctly, Marty received an email during one of the broadcasts from a fan wondering why the Reds/MLB allowed the Friday night game to even been played, when it was restarted at 10pm. The fan wrote it wasn't fair to fans. Marty stated that there is no way baseball players, managers, umpires and even broadcasters want to do double headers, whether they are twi-night or day-night doubleheaders. This prompted a slew of fan email responses. This prompted Marty to pop off but I don't remember him using any taboo words or anything. Finally, he received an email but he didn't read it - he said he was going to use that email as a basis for a segment on his show that he does with Tracy Jones.

The email where he stated he would make that part of the segment with TJ, the guy basically told Marty he was sick of "Marty". His attitude or some nonsense.

The next email was about Homer Bailey, and Marty said "Boy, it's nice to have a topic we can talk about ad-nauseum (sp?)" I got a laugh out of that one.

StillFunkyB
07-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Ok I heard that one too. I figured he reacted more harsh to the slam towards his son.

I always liked Thom. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I thought he was pretty good. I haven't heard him in a long time. Last time was probably when he was still covering the Flubs.

westofyou
07-24-2006, 05:52 PM
I always liked Thom. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I thought he was pretty good. I haven't heard him in a long time. Last time was probably when he was still covering the Flubs.
He and Mark Grace do the Diamondbacks TV, it's less then inspiring.

Joseph
07-24-2006, 05:52 PM

I actually thought the emailer was saying something along the lines of 'You could learn a thing or two FROM Thom.' I could have missed a slam on Thom in another email though.

TOBTTReds
07-24-2006, 05:54 PM

Thanks. I feel that though as far as double headers go. They can be bruttle. I work for a college summer league team, and a couple weeks ago we had a double header on the road. Games are supposed to be only 7 innings long, but this one went 11. Then we still had one more game to play, so we ended up playing 18 that day in 95 degree heat.

Honestly, although there was no other place I would have wanted to be, double headers can be rough, I appreciate the 7 inning games when they do that. Also the low minors do the same thing. I believe it stops in high-A.

boognish
07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
EDIT: WOY posted as I got there.

REDREAD
07-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Did he mention how doubleheaders affect his golf schedule? :dunno:

Or the sheer torture it is for him to have to sit through TWO ballgames in one day? He obviously no longer enjoys this job, I wish he'd just retire. There were Reds fans before he arrived, and there will be Reds fans after he leaves.

redsfanmia
07-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Marty was getting pretty testy, I am surprised that he reads emails that talk about how people are sick of his attitude. He actually has been doing a better job of late calling the games IMO. Maybe that "vacation/Suspension" calmed him down a bit.

redsfanmia
07-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Or the sheer torture it is for him to have to sit through TWO ballgames in one day? He obviously no longer enjoys this job, I wish he'd just retire. There were Reds fans before he arrived, and there will be Reds fans after he leaves.
Im not so sure that Marty feels this way, remember his comments to JR?

REDREAD
07-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Im not so sure that Marty feels this way, remember his comments to JR?

I know, I was taking a stab at Marty the way he claims to be the God of Reds baseball :laugh: The guy thinks he is the Cincinnati Reds, and I wonder if that's why he doesn't retire. In reality, Marty is one of the least important and easily replacable employees the Reds have.

It just so tiring to hear Marty whine about how rough he has it. I guess those grueling 3 hour workdays where all he does is talk about himself just kill him. :laugh:

TeamBoone
07-24-2006, 06:50 PM
I listened to Marty read an e-mail while I was listening to the XM yesterday. This "fan" really ripped Marty AND took a shot at Thom. Maybe this is what you are referring too? Marty had some turse words and carried it pretty far. IMO he was right to do so and shame on someone for setting Marty up like that.

Actually, the guy said Marty should take a lesson from his son. There was no slam against Thom.

I didn't hear the original email that prompted the feud, but from what I could gather the person chastised Marty for something and Marty arrogantly responded with an "I'm a hall of famer, what are you?".

He apologized during the next game but said he'd take it up on some kind of radio show that's coming up? I can't remember what he called it.

Unassisted
07-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Sounds like the emailer really pushed a bunch of Marty's buttons. What a far cry from the good ol' days when Marty and Joe read the birthdays and the teary, fawning letters from listeners who follow the hometown team via Radio 7!

I'm no fan of Marty's, but that sounds like a series of low blows which he didn't deserve. Next time, I would figure that an email like that will land in the nearest trash can.

jmac
07-24-2006, 07:04 PM
when i was a kid, i used to love dh's.now...i can see what guys like marty's talkin about.say 2 games 3 hrs apiece.half hour in between.plus getting to ballpark before game to do pregame then stuff afterwards.thats 8-10 hrs.
most people with jobs would rather work 4 hrs than 10 if pay was same.
sometimes i dont always care for marty's side comments but as far as calling a game,he still can bring it !

mbgrayson
07-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Personally, I'd rather have an announcer like Marty, who gets cranky and short sometimes, but has a ton of personality and knowledge about the game. I love listening to him; Reds baseball wouldn't be the same without him. I listen via the internet, and watch the TV feed via internet also. I STILL turn down the TV sound so I can hear the radio broadcast, just like when I was a kid in Dayton.

The other thing Marty said was that the e-mailer said it was time for him to retire. I took him to mean THAT was what would be the subject of a show with he and Tracy Jones....

big boy
07-24-2006, 07:39 PM
I know, I was taking a stab at Marty the way he claims to be the God of Reds baseball. The guy thinks he is the Cincinnati Reds, and I wonder if that's why he doesn't retire. In reality, Marty is one of the least important and easily replacable employees the Reds have.

I just don't understand this point of view. I know I am in the minority. Anyway, if he did quit and was replaced by the "bad boy", the broadcast would be far worse.

BuckWoody
07-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Marty was getting pretty testy, I am surprised that he reads emails that talk about how people are sick of his attitude. He actually has been doing a better job of late calling the games IMO. Maybe that "vacation/Suspension" calmed him down a bit.
Did I miss something? A rumor? Are you just kidding around?

Very curious. :confused:

Blue
07-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Did I miss something? A rumor? Are you just kidding around?

Very curious. :confused:

No, you didn't miss anything. Someone on Tracy Jones online or something made up a story about how Marty was suspended so that Reds fans wouldn't hear his reaction to the trade. One of the more ridiculous rumors of the season.

TOBTTReds
07-24-2006, 08:29 PM
I know, I was taking a stab at Marty the way he claims to be the God of Reds baseball :laugh: The guy thinks he is the Cincinnati Reds, and I wonder if that's why he doesn't retire. In reality, Marty is one of the least important and easily replacable employees the Reds have.

It just so tiring to hear Marty whine about how rough he has it. I guess those grueling 3 hour workdays where all he does is talk about himself just kill him. :laugh:

I'm sorry, but this is one of the most ignorant posts I've seen on here.

I know, I was taking a stab at Marty the way he claims to be the God of Reds baseball :laugh: The guy thinks he is the Cincinnati Reds, and I wonder if that's why he doesn't retire

I remember him telling a story about his first year when he was interviewing someone and said "We played great tonight" and the player looked at him and said with attitude, "How many hits did you get??" He claims since that day he has never considered himself a part of the Reds rightly so. I've honestly not heard him say that he is better than the Reds or is the Reds, or anything to that effect, this is foolish.

In reality, Marty is one of the least important and easily replacable employees the Reds have.

This is just wrong. He's probably the most important Reds employee not on the baseball ops side of things, and only a couple on that side probably rank ahead of him. He IS the voice of the Reds, and many listen to him day in, day out, just to hear him call a game. If I could sync up the radio with TV I would jump all over it.

It just so tiring to hear Marty whine about how rough he has it

Sure he doesn't like a couple cities and might mention it, you think his job is cake? Trust me, not every day at the park is great, even though I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

I guess those grueling 3 hour workdays where all he does is talk about himself just kill him. :laugh:

This is the icing on the cake for me. You think he works 3 hours a day...just like baseball players right?

If you hate listening to him so much, then don't listen to the games. I've respected a lot of your posts, but this one just doesn't cut it.

BuckWoody
07-24-2006, 08:31 PM
No, you didn't miss anything. Someone on Tracy Jones online or something made up a story about how Marty was suspended so that Reds fans wouldn't hear his reaction to the trade. One of the more ridiculous rumors of the season.
Got it. Thanks. :)

Rob Dicken
07-24-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm sorry, but this is one of the most ignorant posts I've seen on here.

I remember him telling a story about his first year when he was interviewing someone and said "We played great tonight" and the player looked at him and said with attitude, "How many hits did you get??" He claims since that day he has never considered himself a part of the Reds rightly so. I've honestly not heard him say that he is better than the Reds or is the Reds, or anything to that effect, this is foolish.

This is just wrong. He's probably the most important Reds employee not on the baseball ops side of things, and only a couple on that side probably rank ahead of him. He IS the voice of the Reds, and many listen to him day in, day out, just to hear him call a game. If I could sync up the radio with TV I would jump all over it.

Sure he doesn't like a couple cities and might mention it, you think his job is cake? Trust me, not every day at the park is great, even though I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

This is the icing on the cake for me. You think he works 3 hours a day...just like baseball players right?

If you hate listening to him so much, then don't listen to the games. I've respected a lot of your posts, but this one just doesn't cut it.

I've got to agree. That was a pretty arrogant post. Marty is not a replaceable part of this organization. When people think of Reds on the Radio, they think of Marty and Joe. He didn't become a Hall of Famer by sheer luck, he earned it, as he earned the respect of many listeners throughout the country.

I am a huge Marty fan, and the day that he does become replaced will be a sad one.

I would rather have an announcer that gives a decent insight and personal opinion on a matter, than someone like Chris Welsh and George Grande who are so soft and sugar coat each and EVERY single play/situation. It becomes drull and unexciting after awhile.

Good response Aves. :thumbup:

KittyDuran
07-24-2006, 09:10 PM
I remember him telling a story about his first year when he was interviewing someone and said "We played great tonight" and the player looked at him and said with attitude, "How many hits did you get??" He claims since that day he has never considered himself a part of the Reds rightly so. I've honestly not heard him say that he is better than the Reds or is the Reds, or anything to that effect, this is foolish.IIRC that player was Jack Billingham. Also I read in a BRM book that Marty used to socialize with the players (namely Morgan, Rose, Bench) but Wagner told him that he shouldn't - that it was a luxury he couldn't afford. Wasn't there a story about him and Bench going out on the town (on the road) and the next day Bench ended up in the trainer's room, but Marty spilled the beans to Sparky that he and Bench were out and supposedly Bench was nursing a hangover - and Sparky jumped all over Bench?

westofyou
07-24-2006, 09:16 PM
IIRC that player was Jack Billingham. Also I read in a BRM book that Marty used to socialize with the players (namely Morgan, Rose, Bench) but Wagner told him that he shouldn't - that it was a luxury he couldn't afford. Wasn't there a story about him and Bench going out on the town (on the road) and the next day Bench ended up in the trainer's room, but Marty spilled the beans to Sparky that he and Bench were out and supposedly Bench was nursing a hangover - and Sparky jumped all over Bench?
Right on all counts, and as for Marty I remember his war with Willie Greene, who had once shined Marty in a Pregame attempt, Marty didn't like it and he would talk about it with Tim Sulliven in teh 2nd inning, in defense of his position Marty replied that he told Willie that he was here before himn and he'd be here after he left.

Whne tried that with Junior (exact same wording) Junior didn't say anything for about a day, then he asked Marty if Marty had come on in 1974... Yes said Marty.. Well replied Griffey, we got here in 73.

KittyDuran
07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
I've got to agree. That was a pretty arrogant post. Marty is not a replaceable part of this organization. When people think of Reds on the Radio, they think of Marty and Joe. He didn't become a Hall of Famer by sheer luck, he earned it, as he earned the respect of many listeners throughout the country.Apart from radio, he is also there as the voice and face of the organization in ceremonies and charitable events.

Getting back to the doubleheaders... as a fan I'm pretty neutral - a true doubleheader you're getting two games for the price of one. But I'm just a spectator who gets to the game maybe a hour to a half hour before the first pitch. Ballplayers, ballpark personnel and media have to be there anywhere between 2-4 hours before the game. The game, if it starts on time and doesn't go to extra innings, usually is 3 hours long. So right there you have 5-7 hour workday - a doubleheader will make it 8-10 hours long. As many fans tend to do a comparison to a "normal" job - a doubleheader would be an average workday for Jane or John Doe. The 20 minutes between the games would be "lunch". That's about right? Of course, I work an 8 hour day but do so behind a desk in A/C comfort... only venturing out to maybe get a bite to eat. Nor am I "exercising" (tho' I do walk around the parking lot) those 8 hours. It's nice to think that a job in baseball is a piece of cake but you really can't compare it to an everyday job.

Ltlabner
07-24-2006, 09:58 PM
I know, I was taking a stab at Marty the way he claims to be the God of Reds baseball The guy thinks he is the Cincinnati Reds, and I wonder if that's why he doesn't retire. In reality, Marty is one of the least important and easily replacable employees the Reds have.

Wow man, how in the world did you come up with this. I've not agreed with your position on the trade but I've respected the points you've made about it.

But this. I can understand not liking his style (well, actually I can't), but to imply that he's some useless part of the orginization. There are countless millions of listeners that would disagree with you. Since that drives revenue for 700WLW I'd say he's a pretty important cog in the Reds family.

5TimeWSChamps
07-24-2006, 10:17 PM
For those who want Marty gone: Shall we re-listen to the Rockies-Reds series during his vacation? It was brutal

TOBTTReds
07-24-2006, 10:24 PM
For those who want Marty gone: Shall we re-listen to the Rockies-Reds series during his vacation? It was brutal

As much as I still like Joe...no thanks!

chicoruiz
07-24-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm not a fan of Marty's work lately, but we have to remember it's been a while since he's called a game in a pennant race. When the games down the stretch mean somethng (hopefully this year) we'll see if he can still bring it.

TOBTTReds
07-24-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm not a fan of Marty's work lately, but we have to remember it's been a while since he's called a game in a pennant race. When the games down the stretch mean somethng (hopefully this year) we'll see if he can still bring it.

This is a very good point. He might be more tense during close games because each game means so much right now. I know as a fan, by this time I usually just root for them to win, but don't get that upset when they lose. But now, I feel like every game is huge, and everything is on the line every game.

KYRed
07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
I work for a college summer league team, and a couple weeks ago we had a double header on the road. Games are supposed to be only 7 innings long, but this one went 11.

I appreciate the 7 inning games when they do that. Also the low minors do the same thing. I believe it stops in high-A.

Actually all minor leagues play 7 innings on DH days, even up through AAA.

KoryMac5
07-24-2006, 11:09 PM
I have listened to Marty when I was younger when I was able to get the Reds games on at night because the signal would bounce. I feel listening to Marty and Joe helped me become a true Reds fan and always enjoyed the stories they told about the players of today and years past. I am now able to listen to Marty once again with my purchase of XM radio and I must say that there is a little difference between Marty of old and Marty now. He is a bit more cynical these days and can get a little more fired up but I still enjoy the way he calls a game, he never sugarcoats it and calls it the way he sees it. Listeners need to understand that people change as they get older. I'm 33 now and am a different fan than I was at 8. Listeners need to appreciate the fact that we have one of the games best announcer and a Hall of Famer in Marty and compared to some of the others I hear on XM I would much rather have Marty a part of the Reds.

TOBTTReds
07-25-2006, 12:12 AM
I have listened to Marty when I was younger when I was able to get the Reds games on at night because the signal would bounce. I feel listening to Marty and Joe helped me become a true Reds fan and always enjoyed the stories they told about the players of today and years past. I am now able to listen to Marty once again with my purchase of XM radio and I must say that there is a little difference between Marty of old and Marty now. He is a bit more cynical these days and can get a little more fired up but I still enjoy the way he calls a game, he never sugarcoats it and calls it the way he sees it. Listeners need to understand that people change as they get older. I'm 33 now and am a different fan than I was at 8. Listeners need to appreciate the fact that we have one of the games best announcer and a Hall of Famer in Marty and compared to some of the others I hear on XM I would much rather have Marty a part of the Reds.

Well said. I listen to a lot of games on XM, and I definitely agree.

WVPacman
07-25-2006, 12:59 AM
Marty along with Joe are my favorite announcers ever!!!! I have grown up listening to them call Reds games.It will be a sad day when Marty and Joe calls it quits b/c they will NEVER be another like them.:beerme:

Jr's Boy
07-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Marty said he would address this person a week from Thursday on the Brennaman report.

WVRedsFan
07-25-2006, 01:45 AM
Apart from radio, he is also there as the voice and face of the organization in ceremonies and charitable events.

Getting back to the doubleheaders... as a fan I'm pretty neutral - a true doubleheader you're getting two games for the price of one. But I'm just a spectator who gets to the game maybe a hour to a half hour before the first pitch. Ballplayers, ballpark personnel and media have to be there anywhere between 2-4 hours before the game. The game, if it starts on time and doesn't go to extra innings, usually is 3 hours long. So right there you have 5-7 hour workday - a doubleheader will make it 8-10 hours long. As many fans tend to do a comparison to a "normal" job - a doubleheader would be an average workday for Jane or John Doe. The 20 minutes between the games would be "lunch". That's about right? Of course, I work an 8 hour day but do so behind a desk in A/C comfort... only venturing out to maybe get a bite to eat. Nor am I "exercising" (tho' I do walk around the parking lot) those 8 hours. It's nice to think that a job in baseball is a piece of cake but you really can't compare it to an everyday job.

Let me tell you about broadcasters.

I'm one of those lucky stiffs who gets to see what's behind the microphones and cameras of the media. I've covered college football with media members and NASCAR racing with same for about 13 years. Thre is no 8-hour day in broadcasting.

I'll give you an example of what goes on with the "voices" of sports. A typical schedule for a broadcast journalist at a college football game that starts at 1:00 PM is:

8:00 - arrive at the stadium
8:30 - prepare promos and other pre-game hoopla
9:00 - Interview coach and players
10:00 - prepare pre-game
11:00 - study lineups and go over what might happen with producer
12:00 - lunch if you're lucky
12:30 - do pre-game show
1:30 - 4:30 - game PBP
4:30 - 6:00 - post-game show
6:00 - 8:00 - if you're lucky, you get through the other stuff you have to do
A 12-hour day.

Last weekend, i covered the NASCAR race at Martinsville Speedway. I arrived at 8:00 AM sharp, got my credentials and headed to the press box to study the overnight news and prepare my day. I went into the pits and did an interview, watched teams prepare the cars for the race, noting any changes in what was going on, and watched qualifying, making notes for the race. By 1:30m I left the pits to go an prepare a pre-race story which lasted until nearly 3:00, at which time the driver introductions and National Anthem was going on below me. The race began at 3:35 and I took notes and typed notes to myself for my story until the race was over at past 5:30. I attended the driver interviews, all the time taking notes and peparing for my lead story on the race. After writing my story and two sidebar stories, I headded to my car at 8:45 PM. As I was leaving, I ran into Barney Hall, the voice of MRN who was just leaving. That's 12 3/4 hours of work to cover one event. We were both bushed and commented on same. Following behind us was one of the NBC announcers.

It's easy to criticize when it all looks so easy as you listen on radio, watch TV or read the newspaper. It's hard work. I do this maybe 30 times a year while guys like Marty and Joe do it 162 times a year (not counting suspensions and vacations). Multiply that by two and it's not unusual they gripe, but Marty's is all in fun. He works hard and I know this. Why? I've been there (and I hate to sound like Tracy Jones).

Jr's Boy
07-25-2006, 02:27 AM
I call a 100 Greyhound races a week,you get burned out from time to time.Announcing isn't easy, whatever sport your in.

BCubb2003
07-25-2006, 03:17 AM
If you don't like the Sunday Special lineups, you won't like the lineups in a doubleheader.

07-25-2006, 04:05 AM
I've been to 2 doubleheaders- that's alot of baseball. I don't relish the idea of sitting in the hot sun that long, although the old twi-nighter might not be too bad if there wasn't much of a drive home. For me it is 3 hours.

07-25-2006, 04:08 AM
I've got to agree. That was a pretty arrogant post. Marty is not a replaceable part of this organization. When people think of Reds on the Radio, they think of Marty and Joe. He didn't become a Hall of Famer by sheer luck, he earned it, as he earned the respect of many listeners throughout the country.

I am a huge Marty fan, and the day that he does become replaced will be a sad one.
:thumbup:
He isn't replaceable? We are all replaceable. I agree, though, about the last part of your post- It'll be sad for me too. One more thing that's always been there will be gone.

Ron Madden
07-25-2006, 04:34 AM
Marty is one of the best radio pbp announcers I've ever heard. Nobody calls a game winning hit any better.

Please let me follow that with my honest opinion.

I'll soon be 53 years old, I've had the pleasure of listening to most of the best pbp announcers ever to call a game on radio or tv.

Before his induction to the HOF Marty ranked at the top of the list.
He is nothing close to the great pbp man he used to be. (and ) I think that's a sad thing.

Jpup
07-25-2006, 06:26 AM
Marty is one of the best radio pbp announcers I've ever heard. Nobody calls a game winning hit any better.

Please let me follow that with my honest opinion.

I'll soon be 53 years old, I've had the pleasure of listening to most of the best pbp announcers ever to call a game on radio or tv.

Before his induction to the HOF Marty ranked at the top of the list.
He is nothing close to the great pbp man he used to be. (and ) I think that's a sad thing.

and the sad thing is that no one will tell him that and if they did, he wouldn't listen. Sure, the fans will tell him or e-mail him, but I have never had the opinion that Marty really cares what we think of him. I don't listen to him everyday or even once a week, but when I do listen I am very dissapointed. He is the best baseball play by play man who has ever dawned the mic, but I see him as a bad impression of his former self. I love Marty and always will, but it kind of hurts to hear what he has become. When I do listen, I just wait for those moments when I feel he is really into the game and then I remember how great he was.

Maybe it's me, maybe I'm getting old, but Marty just isn't Marty anymore. I wonder if Joe being gone doesn't have a lot to do with that. Let's hope the Reds can hang in there and Marty returns to his past greatness.

RFS62
07-25-2006, 07:32 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but doesn't Marty know exactly wnat's in these emails before he reads them on the air? If he reads an inflammatory one, hasn't it been pre-screened by his producer or somebody?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he's being taken by surprise by any of them, and it sounds to me like he's picking his fights in advance.

RedFanAlways1966
07-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but doesn't Marty know exactly wnat's in these emails before he reads them on the air? If he reads an inflammatory one, hasn't it been pre-screened by his producer or somebody?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he's being taken by surprise by any of them, and it sounds to me like he's picking his fights in advance.

Exactly what I was thinking, '62.

KittyDuran
07-25-2006, 08:04 AM

I'm one of those lucky stiffs who gets to see what's behind the microphones and cameras of the media. I've covered college football with media members and NASCAR racing with same for about 13 years. Thre is no 8-hour day in broadcasting.

I'll give you an example of what goes on with the "voices" of sports. A typical schedule for a broadcast journalist at a college football game that starts at 1:00 PM is:

8:00 - arrive at the stadium
8:30 - prepare promos and other pre-game hoopla
9:00 - Interview coach and players
10:00 - prepare pre-game
11:00 - study lineups and go over what might happen with producer
12:00 - lunch if you're lucky
12:30 - do pre-game show
1:30 - 4:30 - game PBP
4:30 - 6:00 - post-game show
6:00 - 8:00 - if you're lucky, you get through the other stuff you have to do
A 12-hour day.

Last weekend, i covered the NASCAR race at Martinsville Speedway. I arrived at 8:00 AM sharp, got my credentials and headed to the press box to study the overnight news and prepare my day. I went into the pits and did an interview, watched teams prepare the cars for the race, noting any changes in what was going on, and watched qualifying, making notes for the race. By 1:30m I left the pits to go an prepare a pre-race story which lasted until nearly 3:00, at which time the driver introductions and National Anthem was going on below me. The race began at 3:35 and I took notes and typed notes to myself for my story until the race was over at past 5:30. I attended the driver interviews, all the time taking notes and peparing for my lead story on the race. After writing my story and two sidebar stories, I headded to my car at 8:45 PM. As I was leaving, I ran into Barney Hall, the voice of MRN who was just leaving. That's 12 3/4 hours of work to cover one event. We were both bushed and commented on same. Following behind us was one of the NBC announcers.

It's easy to criticize when it all looks so easy as you listen on radio, watch TV or read the newspaper. It's hard work. I do this maybe 30 times a year while guys like Marty and Joe do it 162 times a year (not counting suspensions and vacations). Multiply that by two and it's not unusual they gripe, but Marty's is all in fun. He works hard and I know this. Why? I've been there (and I hate to sound like Tracy Jones).Thanks for the info, WV - I was just putting numbers out to try to rationalize how some fans would view Marty's job vs the average work day. There is no comparison. :)

Roy Tucker
07-25-2006, 08:35 AM
"if the fans ain't happy, then nobody's happy"

-Robert Castellini, January 20th, 2006
On the subject of double-headers, many (if not most) of us have jobs that we put long days in on.

If you give a fan the choice of a.) getting to the park at the normal time, sit through 3+ hours of a monsoon in hard ball park chairs, and then start a game that goes till 1 AM, or b.) get a rain ticket and come the next day or some other day, I believe most people will choose b.).

The fact that players, coaches, announcers, etc. all don't like to play doubleheaders, well, there are a lot of nights when I work late that I don't want to be there. All I can say is suck it up big guys.

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 08:47 AM
I just don't understand this point of view. I know I am in the minority. Anyway, if he did quit and was replaced by the "bad boy", the broadcast would be far worse.

I just am tired of all Marty's off topic stuff and complaining about how hard his job is. It's not as if Marty spends a lot of time preparing for the game, he just sits down and says whatever pops into his head.

Steve is very bland. He's not incompetent, but he doesn't add much to the game, and he gets intimidated by Marty too easily. It would've been much better to bring an ex player in that was more outgoing and would call Marty out. Steve has called Marty out a few times when Marty was obviously wrong, but he does it very apologically and meek.

Marty used to be the best announcer. Now, he's turned the broadcast into his own talk show/soapbox.

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 09:06 AM
I remember him telling a story about his first year when he was interviewing someone and said "We played great tonight" and the player looked at him and said with attitude, "How many hits did you get??" He claims since that day he has never considered himself a part of the Reds rightly so. I've honestly not heard him say that he is better than the Reds or is the Reds, or anything to that effect, this is foolish..

I'm sorry, but he does consider himself better than the Reds. Look at Larkin's final years. He made it his personal agenda to turn the fans against Larkin. He was probably jealous that Larkin was more popular than Marty. Larkin went to the broadcast booth to say goodbye to Marty and Joe, and Marty called it them most classless thing he ever saw (despite the fact that Marty's friends always seem to be popping in and having side conversations during the game.. Marty doesn't seem to mind that).
What about when he told Jr "I was here before you got here, and I'll be here long after you leave?" Marty has used that line on a lot of players. I'm sorry, but Marty is not the humble man you make him out to be.

This is just wrong. He's probably the most important Reds employee not on the baseball ops side of things, and only a couple on that side probably rank ahead of him. He IS the voice of the Reds, and many listen to him day in, day out, just to hear him call a game. If I could sync up the radio with TV I would jump all over it. ..

Let's just say hypothetically that tommorrow was a double header. Marty just can't take it any more and quits. If Steve did all the games for a week while they searched for a replacement, do you really think ratings would go down? People got over Joe being booted out pretty quick, and he was probably even more than Marty. It's a false premise (shared by Marty) that people tune in just to hear Marty talk. Sure, it's funny to hear him do the bannana phone, because of the trolls that call in to make him mad, but if he did a SportsTalk show, after a couple weeks, I bet it would be less popular than Furman or Jones.

Yes, his job is pretty easy, particularly for what he gets paid. He does no preparation, and just goes on the air and rambles. As mediocre as Steve is, he does a BETTER job, because he actually tries to stay on topic.
Marty works for half the year, and his job is to talk for 3 hours per day? I mean, come on, that isn't a hard job at all. The beat writers work a lot harder.

If you hate listening to him so much, then don't listen to the games. .

I just don't see any evidence that Marty does any preparation for the game. Sometimes he will parrot something a beat writer says, but it's not like he goes down into the clubhouse before the game to try and get some interesting information to share with us. Marty probably has to be at the park a bit before the game, but is that really working? He probably just drinks some coffee and does his sound check or whatever. But it's not as if Marty works a normal day like the rest of us. You said yourself that it would be a great job to have.

Actually, I do listen to a lot fewer games, because I get tired of Marty riding Dunn and his sarcastic and off topic remarks. I do agree with you that at one time, Marty used to be the best announcer. Now he's just too bitter about life and it shows.

Another funny thing is, that on another message board I used to visit, people had an informal contest where they'd contact Marty via emails and the banana phone. The goal was to get Marty as aggravated as possible, and then brag about it the next day. :laugh: I'm sure a lot of other people do the same strategy. Marty is like that little sister that is really easily annoyed and is fun to watch throw a tantrum. Ever notice how easy it is to set Marty off? Like that one letter that said "Hoyt, the real HOFer", and references to Marty's son? People are trolling Marty, and he doesn't even realize it.
The last tantrum he had is just going to encourage them to spam him more.

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 09:13 AM

I wish he still had the pride in his work that he used to have in the early 80's. He announced some horrible teams then, but did a fine job.

Why should Marty get a free pass for not giving 100% when the team is bad? He's certainly ride the players for not giving 100%.. In fact, he rode Jr hard for not running hard on a ground ball when Jr had a leg injury in which he couldn't run hard. I don't recall Marty ever apologizing on the air for that (although maybe he did).

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 09:18 AM

Of course he reads them before he reads them over the air. The funny thing is that Marty feels he's "setting them straight", when in reality, he's just feeding the trolls. The guys that sent in those emails were rolling on the floor laughing, because they got just what they wanted -- a rise out of Marty. The fact that Marty is going to address it again in the Brennaman report puts them in the Trolling Hall of Fame.

registerthis
07-25-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm sorry, but he does consider himself better than the Reds.

Well, that settles that. Anything else I should know about him that you're apparently privy to?

goreds2
07-25-2006, 09:23 AM
FYI, this weekend is Marty's 64th birthday. :birthday:

registerthis
07-25-2006, 09:24 AM
The fact that Marty is going to address it again in the Brennaman report puts them in the Trolling Hall of Fame.

So first we slam Marty for even reading the email, then we slam him for overreacting to it, then we slam him for apologizing for his overreaction?

Why not go yell at him for even bothering to get out of bed in the morning?

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 09:24 AM

I'll give you an example of what goes on with the "voices" of sports. A typical schedule for a broadcast journalist at a college football game that starts at 1:00 PM is:).

I'm sure you work hard at your game. But Marty isn't working 12 hour days.
He even talks about the golf he plays before the game. I'm sure he has to get into his booth early. But he does no prep. Look at his "interviews" with the sportswriters. They come in, and Marty says, "So what do you got for me?" After the game is over, Marty probably leaves shortly thereafter.
I'm not sure if he still does segments like "Bench and Brennamen on Baseball", but those little 2 minute segments were a joke. The Brennamen report is just reading the scores of other games (no prep required). Maybe he's at the stadium for 6-8 hours, but it's not like he's killing himself. He's paid well and only has to work 1/2 of the year. He gets a nice long break during the game where he lets Steve do all the play by play as well.

registerthis
07-25-2006, 09:55 AM
After the game is over, Marty probably leaves shortly thereafter.

Maybe he's at the stadium for 6-8 hours, but it's not like he's killing himself.

He was probably jealous that Larkin was more popular than Marty.

Marty works for half the year, and his job is to talk for 3 hours per day? I mean, come on, that isn't a hard job at all.

He obviously no longer enjoys this job, I wish he'd just retire.

The guy thinks he is the Cincinnati Reds, and I wonder if that's why he doesn't retire.

Wow, I don't think Dave Williams and Joe Mays have taken this much abuse. Seriously, what's with the vendetta?

KittyDuran
07-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Wow, I don't think Dave Williams and Joe Mays have taken this much abuse. Seriously, what's with the vendetta?He's part of the Reds organization (personnel other than the players)? ;)

dabvu2498
07-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Wow, I don't think Dave Williams and Joe Mays have taken this much abuse. Seriously, what's with the vendetta?
He doesn't like Adam Dunn. ;)

registerthis
07-25-2006, 10:05 AM
He's part of the Reds organization (personnel other than the players)? ;)

Maybe he's Steve Stewart? :dunno:

westofyou
07-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Redread, you seem to have a blanket opinion that folks in the baseball business don't work regular job hours, first the players and now Marty.

Do you know anything about either of their daily routines?

It's a hard business that is awash in travel and stress, what's easy about that?

Other than you don't do it and they do?

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 10:35 AM
He isn't replaceable? We are all replaceable. I agree, though, about the last part of your post- It'll be sad for me too. One more thing that's always been there will be gone.

At this point in time, NO. He's not replaceable. On a technical side, yes he is....but how long is it going to be after they replace him, before we realize that it's not any better than listening to FoxSports and George Grande?

Marty belongs in that broadcast booth.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Sorry....gotta post again...

I guess REDREAD didn't read the earlier post of an actual broadcaster, and a daily schedule of what they have to actually do. His thoughts are based soley on opinion, and from the sounds of it....that letter may have just been from him! LOL

But in all seriousness, Marty's job is NOT easy and for someone to sit back and totally berate the guy for doing his job, is kind of stupid. Marty can be cynical at times, but that's what makes him great. Most broadcasters these days sugar coat every aspect of the game. Marty calls it like it is and THAT is what has made him a Hall of Famer.

Take a lesson from Thom? Thom isn't any better than 3/4 of the broadcasters out there....he sugar coats every aspect just as much as the others. If anything, Thom could take a lesson or two from Marty....as well as could 100's of other MLB broadcasters around the nation.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 10:53 AM
He even talks about the golf he plays before the game. I'm sure he has to get into his booth early. But he does no prep.

I keep reading these comments from you saying that he does no prep. How do you know this?

Look at his "interviews" with the sportswriters. They come in, and Marty says, "So what do you got for me?"

And if the beloved Marc Lancaster came in and all Marty did was talk about what he knew instead of letting Marc have his time, would that be peachy, or would he be critisized for that too?

So what?

westofyou
07-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Don't be so sure.

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/janitor.jpg

M2
07-25-2006, 11:11 AM

Exactly.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to use the adjectives and nouns I'd normally associate with a broadcaster who's made belittling fans part of his prepared schtick.

lollipopcurve
07-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Unfortunately I'm not allowed to use the adjectives and nouns I'd normally associate with a broadcaster who's made belittling fans part of his prepared schtick.

The dysfunctionality of it is off the scale.

An intelligent young broadcaster with some enthusiasm would do absolute wonders for the market in and around Cincinnati, in my opinion.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Exactly.

It's not the right of him to belittle fans, but it's the right of the FANS (who are not in the booth, nor on the field, may I remind you) to belittle him?

I'm sure Marty gets many discouraging letters written to him on a normal basis. If these people didn't want to get belittled or put on the air, they wouldn't give their thoughts.

I commend Marty for setting an example to some of these idiots. :thumbup:

CTA513
07-25-2006, 11:24 AM
It's not the right of him to belittle fans, but it's the right of the FANS (who are not in the booth, nor on the field, may I remind you) to belittle him?

I'm sure Marty gets many discouraging letters written to him on a normal basis. If these people didn't want to get belittled or put on the air, they wouldn't give their thoughts.

Marty has ripped current and former Reds players and really likes to put down a certain former GM.
Its ok for him to do that, but when fans criticize Marty for the stuff he does its not ok.

:eek:

Clay P
07-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Marty is a great broadcaster but he's an arrogant son of a gun. Besides that during the past two seasons there is way to much fluff in the broadcast. I'm getting tired of the triving game especially when they miss making calls.

M2
07-25-2006, 11:31 AM

Well he's certainly a shining example to idiots everywhere.

I don't see why Marty bickering with his mail is part of the show. It's completely unnecessary and devoid of anything approaching maturity. If Marty doesn't like unflattering mail then get out of the booth because it's part and parcel of doing the job. Airing that mail is however NOT part of the job.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Marty has ripped current and former Reds players and really likes to put down a certain former GM.
Its ok for him to do that, but when fans criticize Marty for the stuff he does its not ok.

:eek:

That's the whole point....

Marty became a HALL OF FAMER for doing that! I mean, people complaining about it, is rather absurd.

If you really want a sugar coated game, tune into Chris Welsh and George Grande. If you want a game called the way it should be, tune into 700 WLW.

Marty may not say some things people like, but that's the whole point. He's the professional out there people, we're the fans. In my mind, unless we're out on the field or actually in the booth or doing things behind the scenes (Krivsky), it's really hard for us criticize ANYONE in this organization. We don't know exactly what's going on besides what we actually see and hear.

I mean, really....how can you criticize Marty for his work method, and what he does behind the scenes, if you DON'T KNOW....

That's kind of like trying to win a fight blinfolded. :p:

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Well he's certainly a shining example to idiots everywhere.

I don't see why Marty bickering with his mail is part of the show. It's completely unnecessary and devoid of anything approaching maturity. If Marty doesn't like unflattering mail then get out of the booth because it's part and parcel of doing the job. Airing that mail is however NOT part of the job.

How so? Who are WE to tell him what he does on the show and what's part of his job?

registerthis
07-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Its ok for him to do that

Not by any standard I've seen on this board.

SteelSD
07-25-2006, 11:51 AM
How so? Who are WE to tell him what he does on the show and what's part of his job?

We're customers, Rob.

Listening to Marty used to be like going to all-you-can-eat prime rib night at your local high-class steakhouse. But somewhere along the line, Marty Brennaman began throwing slop at people while telling them to consider it USDA Choice. So folks begin complaining about quality but instead of improving the eats, Marty just throws more slop on their plate while demanding that his reputation gives him the right to provide whatever quality he sees fit.

Only works if folks like to eat garbage.

flyer85
07-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Only works if folks like to eat garbage.May I have a plate of hurl? :help:

SteelSD
07-25-2006, 11:56 AM
May I have a plate of hurl? :help:

:laugh:

Welcome back, stranger!

flyer85
07-25-2006, 12:00 PM
At this point, Marty is Marty and that isn't going to change. You either enjoy him and listen or do like I did and turn him off. I gave up complaining about Marty because I do not enjoy his shtick and he isn't going to change.

registerthis
07-25-2006, 12:09 PM
OK, I see Marty's been compared to a steakhouse cook. Any takers on picking up a car analogy, or something involving a sandwich?

M2
07-25-2006, 12:24 PM

So you'd rather listen to Marty ape the "O'Reilly Factor" than focus on the game of baseball? Not me. I don't like drivel.

westofyou
07-25-2006, 12:28 PM
OK, I see Marty's been compared to a steakhouse cook. Any takers on picking up a car analogy, or something involving a sandwich?
Or how about an analogy about smugness?

registerthis
07-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Or how about an analogy about smugness?

Nah, that isn't nearly interesting enough.

big boy
07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
We're customers, Rob.

You're only a customer if you choose to be. The fact that you choose to be his customer says more than the rest of your post about meat or whatever.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 12:56 PM
We're customers, Rob.

Listening to Marty used to be like going to all-you-can-eat prime rib night at your local high-class steakhouse. But somewhere along the line, Marty Brennaman began throwing slop at people while telling them to consider it USDA Choice. So folks begin complaining about quality but instead of improving the eats, Marty just throws more slop on their plate while demanding that his reputation gives him the right to provide whatever quality he sees fit.

Only works if folks like to eat garbage.

Customers? We're listening to him on FREE radio (unless you're on XM). It's not like we're purchasing his product, so how can he be compared to a steakhouse chef? That's kind of a weird anology anyway.

Either way you look at it, he's still talking about the game of baseball. Bringing fans views into play on the issue, whether its fans appraisal or berating, brings out life in his broadcast, and I thoroughly enjoy it.

As I said earlier, his broadcast would be pretty lifeless and boring without some sort of opinion from him.

I'm not saying Marty is the best in the world, but he's better than most, and replacing him would bring boredom to the radio.

pedro
07-25-2006, 12:58 PM
The mere fact that some posters here feel Marty is irreplaceable only serves to highlight the problem IMO.

Red Leader
07-25-2006, 01:03 PM
The mere fact that some posters here feel Marty is irreplaceable only serves to highlight the problem IMO.

My take as well.

registerthis
07-25-2006, 01:05 PM

I think Marty's OK and can call a good game when he wants to, but if he left it wouldn't be the end of the world.

But what, pray tell, is highlighted by the fact that some people believe Marty is the second coming of Vin Scully and think the Reds couldn't replace him? That they're wrong? It's their opinion to think he's irreplaceable as much as it is yours to think he should resign yesterday--neither one highlights anything other than the fact that we hold different opinions on these topics. Some people here think it's simply inconceivable that certain people think Marty is still a good announcer.

M2
07-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Radio relies on listeners in order to sell advertising. If we don't "consume" the broadcasts, then station can't turn a profit.

I'd be interested in seeing how the Reds radio broadcasts compare to other markets. I suspect the ratings aren't all that impressive, based on the notion that listenership tends to mirror attendance. Does Marty pay dividends and deliver a higher audience share than you'd see in other MLB markets or is he less ... "entertaining" ... than his supporters insist? IMO, it would be interesting to see those numbers.

pedro
07-25-2006, 01:12 PM
I think Marty's OK and can call a good game when he wants to, but if he left it wouldn't be the end of the world.

But what, pray tell, is highlighted by the fact that some people believe Marty is the second coming of Vin Scully and think the Reds couldn't replace him? That they're wrong? It's their opinion to think he's irreplaceable as much as it is yours to think he should resign yesterday--neither one highlights anything other than the fact that we hold different opinions on these topics. Some people here think it's simply inconceivable that certain people think Marty is still a good announcer.

The fact that a lot of people believe that crap because Marty has been pumping them full of it for years. It's bad for the organization IMO.

pedro
07-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Radio relies on listeners in order to sell advertising. If we don't "consume" the broadcasts, then station can't turn a profit.

I'd be interested in seeing how the Reds radio broadcasts compare to other markets. I suspect the ratings aren't all that impressive, based on the notion that listenership tends to mirror attendance. Does Marty pay dividends and deliver a higher audience share than you'd see in other MLB markets or is he less ... "entertaining" ... than his supporters insist? IMO, it would be interesting to see those numbers.

That would certainly go a long way towards determining his "irreplaceability"

The question really is whether fans are tuning in for Marty or for the Reds. I believe Marty thinks people are tuning in to listen to him and that isn't good.

flyer85
07-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Customers? We're listening to him on FREE radio it's not "FREE radio", it just doesn't cost you any money to listen but it IS being paid for.

As I said earlier, his broadcast would be pretty lifeless and boring without some sort of opinion from him.I don't think his opinions are what turns most off( but maybe it is), what turned me off was all the time Marty spent talking about things other than baseball and the game being played. There would be periods of time when the game would become secondary to whatever was the topic of the day that Marty wanted to expound upon. I just found it easier to follow the game on the internet than try to figure out what was going on when Marty was not paying attention to the game. I just don't really want to hear about Marty, his golf game, his tomato growing, etc, etc,

M2
07-25-2006, 01:37 PM
That would certainly go a long way towards determining his "irreplaceability"

The question really is whether fans are tuning in for Marty or for the Reds. I believe Marty thinks people are tuning in to listen to him and that isn't good.

I'm of the same opinion, though the proof would be in the comparative market numbers. We know the Reds haven't been a good team, but if the ratings are strong then perhaps people do tune in for the love of Marty. If not, then you've got to ask what the purpose of constantly riding young players and boorish behavior towards the listenership really nets you.

registerthis
07-25-2006, 01:38 PM
The fact that a lot of people believe that crap because Marty has been pumping them full of it for years. It's bad for the organization IMO.

Oh, come one Pedro, that's a bunch of hooey.

So if someone thinks Marty's great, it's only because Marty's trained them to believe that and they just aren't as enlightened as those of us think otherwise? Whatta load of...

pedro
07-25-2006, 01:46 PM

So if someone thinks Marty's great, it's only because Marty's trained them to believe that and they just aren't as enlightened as those of us think otherwise? Whatta load of...

never mind. you just keep wanting to take it to absolutes. If you think it's cool for Marty to spend as much time talking about himself good for you. I don't.

The end.

Analogize that.

Chip R
07-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Say, pedro, didn't Marty rip your e-mail on the air you sent to him last year?

pedro
07-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Say, pedro, didn't Marty rip your e-mail on the air you sent to him last year?

He called me a boob and said the folks out here in oregon must be really proud of me. It was awesome.

flyer85
07-25-2006, 01:54 PM
He called me a boob and said the folks out here in oregon must be really proud of me. It was awesome.:laugh: a martyr for the cause.

BRM
07-25-2006, 01:54 PM
He called me a boob and said the folks out here in oregon must be really proud of me. It was awesome.

What was your email about?

pedro
07-25-2006, 01:56 PM
What was your email about?

I told him if he wasn't going to actually do his job and announce the games then he ought to retire because I didn't care to hear about his golf game.

remdog
07-25-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm not saying Marty is the best in the world, but he's better than most, and replacing him would bring boredom to the radio.

Not necessarily. When Marty replaced Al Michaels the Reds broadcasts didn't suffer. In his earlier days Marty was a joy to listen to and there isn't anything to say that a similar replacement can't be found for him.

For the record, IMO Al Michaels was an even better broadcaster than Marty and, had he remained with the Reds, he would have been the announcer in the Baseball Hall of Fame, not Marty. Had Al remained, Marty might still be doing minor league baseball in Richmond. (Though, to be fair, that's a stretch since the man does, or at least did, have talent.)

Rem

BRM
07-25-2006, 02:02 PM
I told him if he wasn't going to actually do his job and announce the games then he ought to retire because I didn't care to hear about his golf game.

And you succeeded in angering him further. Nice work!

westofyou
07-25-2006, 02:04 PM

Really?

Gee... you mean all the casual fans in Cincinnati I talk to that only have Marty as a conduit are feeding me hooey?

Who are you talking to?

registerthis
07-25-2006, 02:12 PM
never mind. you just keep wanting to take it to absolutes. If you think it's cool for Marty to spend as much time talking about himself good for you. I don't.

Nice, now you're putting words in my mouth.

When did I ever even imply that "it's cool for Marty to spend as much time talking about himself"? Personally, I think Marty's a bit of an arrogant blowhard who spends too much time philosophizing about his greatness and not enough telling you about the groundout to second base. But whatever.

My point is that it's conceivable that someone else may enjoy listening to Marty--and, like I said, he can still call a good game when he wants to--and hold him in high regard. It doesn't mean they've been brainwashed by the poofy haired one.

But if it makes us feel better to believe that the ones who disagree with us are brainwashed Marty clones, then by all means...

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 02:16 PM
So first we slam Marty for even reading the email, then we slam him for overreacting to it, then we slam him for apologizing for his overreaction?

Why not go yell at him for even bothering to get out of bed in the morning?

No, I think it's nice that he apologizes for it. I'm just saying that Marty doesn't realize that people write him emails to deliberately set him off. Marty thinks he's imparting his wisdom and "setting them straight", but in reality he's providing entertainment for the trolls.

I have to admit, I laugh when he gets all worked up over emails like that. I wish I had been listening that night. I don't have a problem with Marty answering baseball related emails It's the other stuff he does that gets tiring, like reading 200 emails about who has the best Bar-B-Q.

pedro
07-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Nice, now you're putting words in my mouth.

When did I ever even imply that "it's cool for Marty to spend as much time talking about himself"? Personally, I think Marty's a bit of an arrogant blowhard who spends too much time philosophizing about his greatness and not enough telling you about the groundout to second base. But whatever.

My point is that it's conceivable that someone else may enjoy listening to Marty--and, like I said, he can still call a good game when he wants to--and hold him in high regard. It doesn't mean they've been brainwashed by the poofy haired one.

But if it makes us feel better to believe that the ones who disagree with us are brainwashed Marty clones, then by all means...

I never said "all". I said "some". You can't seem to get the distinction so who's putting words in whose mouth?

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Redread, you seem to have a blanket opinion that folks in the baseball business don't work regular job hours, first the players and now Marty.

Do you know anything about either of their daily routines?

It's a hard business that is awash in travel and stress, what's easy about that?

Other than you don't do it and they do?

ok, convince me that Marty's job creates a stress level even in the top half of all jobs. The only stress Marty feels is self inflicted (when he works himself up and gets all upset).

Are you saying that Marty's job is difficult, compared to what a lot of other people have to do?

I know you think that ballplayers have it a lot harder than other people that have to do physical labor for a living, but I don't know why.

Traveling sucks, but these guys make enough money to bring along their family or girlfriends if they want to. A lot of people have to travel even more than they do and get paid a lot less, and have a lot more stress. What about the salesman that has bills to pay and probably won't make his quota this week? Isn't that a lot more stressful than talking on the radio for a couple of hours or getting paid to play a baseball game?

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 02:22 PM
At this point in time, NO. He's not replaceable. .

I'm sorry, but everyone is replacable. In fact, Marty just took a vacation, and everything still managed to run fine. If you don't like Joe, just plug in another announcer.

registerthis
07-25-2006, 02:24 PM
I never said "all". I said "some". You can't seem to get the distinction so who's putting words in whose mouth?

I've got the distinction just fine. You seemed to view the fact that some posters viewing Marty as irreplaceable was a signifier of some serious problem in Redsland. I said that those people may, good golly, actually *like* listening to Marty, and that it doesn't really highlight anything.

Next thing I know, I'm a Marty sympathizer just like the other mis-informed Marty clones here.

And, for the record, I never said "all".

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 02:27 PM
I keep reading these comments from you saying that he does no prep. How do you know this?

?

Ok, what new information has Marty brought to the booth to share with us in the past 3 years? Sure, he probably reads the starting lineups before he goes on the air, but that doesn't take much time.

Have you ever heard him say, "well, I was talking to Hatteberg before the game and he said..." or something like that? Has Marty ever given us any information about the opposing team? That's the kind of prep that I'd like to see. Occasionally Marty will parrot something said by the beat writers, but that's it.

The guy is good at calling games when he wants to be, but if he does prep before the game, it's not apparent during the broadcast.

westofyou
07-25-2006, 02:33 PM
ok, convince me that Marty's job creates a stress level even in the top half of all jobs. The only stress Marty feels is self inflicted (when he works himself up and gets all upset).

Are you saying that Marty's job is difficult, compared to what a lot of other people have to do?

I know you think that ballplayers have it a lot harder than other people that have to do physical labor for a living, but I don't know why.

Traveling sucks, but these guys make enough money to bring along their family or girlfriends if they want to. A lot of people have to travel even more than they do and get paid a lot less, and have a lot more stress. What about the salesman that has bills to pay and probably won't make his quota this week? Isn't that a lot more stressful than talking on the radio for a couple of hours or getting paid to play a baseball game?

Redread, I get the feeling your job is the same one that Conan the Barbarian had as a youngster, or else you feel like it is.

If you think Marty doesn't work hard I'll never be able to convince you.

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 02:34 PM

:lol: I missed that one.. Not laughing at you, but laughing at closed minded Marty showing how stupid he is again.

Jr's Boy
07-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Don't be so sure.

http://www.deadballart.com/redszone/janitor.jpg
RRTF!

REDREAD
Redread, I get the feeling your job is the same one that Conan the Barbarian had as a youngster, or else you feel like it is.

If you think Marty doesn't work hard I'll never be able to convince you.

No, I have a better job now. Even in my old job (which I hated), I acknowledge that I was better off than a lot of people.

It's evident in the decline in quality of Marty's broadcasts that's he's not giving a lot of effort. I don't track it, but doesn't he only do play by play for 6 innings now (maybe its 7). During that time, he just likes to talk about what happened to him, his golf, his garden, waste about 30 minutes blowing the stupid trivia question out of proportion, rant against players he doesn't like, etc.

He's obviously tired of his job. Don't you agree? I know you're not exactly a fan of his either.

But to address your question.. There is no evidence during Marty's broadcast that he puts any effort into it, or that he works hard. And I have a hard time believing Marty's job is stressful. He has no fear of being laid off, he's paid well, he can pretty much do anything he wants. It's not that stressful to have to go to the airport a couple times a week and stay in a nice hotel rooms and then take 6 months vacation. Marty could have his wife travel with him if he really wanted to, they have no small children, so I don't buy the "seperated from family" stress.

registerthis
Rrtf?

registerthis
07-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Marty could have his wife travel with him if he really wanted to,

Of course, because surely the wife has nothing better to do than to follow her hubby around the country.

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Of course, because surely the wife has nothing better to do than to follow her hubby around the country.

I don't know if she does or not. Just saying the option is available.

Even so, Marty has 81 road games plus spring training. A lot of other people have to be away from home for much longer.

flyer85
07-25-2006, 02:45 PM
It doesn't mean they've been brainwashed by the poofy haired one.:notworthy Marty's Fan Club.

It's a joke :D

flyer85
07-25-2006, 02:50 PM
I was listening to Vin this year, who is in his 80s, he always has interesting tidbits about players, interesting numbers and facts, it was refreshing. To top it off after Garciaparra made a nice defensive play at first Vin discussed the intricacies of playing first and brought up some points the casual fan was unlikely to notice. It is obvious he still works at it, he generally does the game by himself and works the entire nine innings.

Just sayin.

Matt700wlw
07-25-2006, 02:59 PM

I thought it was funny :D

Matt700wlw
07-25-2006, 03:03 PM

I don't like them either.....but I don't have to talk for 8 hour straight

remdog
07-25-2006, 03:04 PM
For the record, I tend to agree with most of what Redread said.

Rem

Matt700wlw
07-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Actually, the guy said Marty should take a lesson from his son. There was no slam against Thom.

I didn't hear the original email that prompted the feud, but from what I could gather the person chastised Marty for something and Marty arrogantly responded with an "I'm a hall of famer, what are you?".

He apologized during the next game but said he'd take it up on some kind of radio show that's coming up? I can't remember what he called it.

Brennaman and Jones on Baseball, during the Jim Scott Show, Thursday morning. :)

dabvu2498
07-25-2006, 03:09 PM
I really don't think Marty was complaining about his job, in total. I think he was complaining about one aspect of his job that happens about as often as a lunar eclipse. In fact, many, many times, Marty has said that he loves the job and realizes how lucky he is to have it.

Heaven forbid one of us should ever complain about our jobs! I have the best job in the world and do I still find myself complaining from time to time? Heck yes!

That's one of the reasons I like that Dirty Jobs show on the Discovery Channel -- reality check that I've got a grand job/work situation.

Ltlabner
07-25-2006, 03:23 PM

Yes M2 because the management of WLW has been staffed by complete idiots since the early 1970s and they've overlooked the lack of revenue generated bacause Marty has nice hair. Come on. Do you really think an objective 3rd party (WLW) is going to stick with a guy (Marty B) if the revenue he generates via advertising was worse than they thought it should be?

If you are offended by Marty daring to mention something that happens off the field then turn off the radio and move on. If you get confused if Marty mentions that Shea stadium is a dump and can't follow the game anymore, then move on. Listen to George Grande...oh wait. People here hate him too. So don't sugar coat, but don't tell us like it is. Just stare right ahead at the field and don't deviate your eyes for one second.

The fact is that most of the world that listens to the radio does not want to hear a never ending monologe of the game chocked filled with three hours of stats, figures, arcane explinations of baseball strategy and the like. They want to hear a description of the action on the field and be entertained. Period. End of story.

If you want more than this, you go to other sources to agument what you are looking for. Mlb.tv, redszone, etc etc. But 98% of the baseball world wants a description of the game and to be entertained.

pedro
07-25-2006, 03:29 PM
They want to hear a description of the action on the field and be entertained. Period. End of story.

Too bad Marty seldom provides that anymore. I don't tune into the Reds broadcast to hear stories about Marty's golf outings. I want to hear the game. Period. End of story.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 03:34 PM
It's funny because I listen to Marty and I very seldom have a problem understanding how the game is going.

Maybe that's just because I like Marty and I don't know any better.....

dabvu2498
07-25-2006, 03:35 PM
It's funny because I listen to Marty and I very seldom have a problem understanding how the game is going.

Me and you both. Maybe I have turned into a lifeless autonamamtonamaton.

Ltlabner
07-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Too bad Marty seldom provides that anymore. I don't tune into the Reds broadcast to hear stories about Marty's golf outings. I want to hear the game. Period. End of story.

You are certinally entitiled to that opinion Pedro but I listen to Marty almost nightly, even when at the games and I guess hearing the 5 comments about a golf game scattered amoungst three hours of baseball isn't that distracting to me nor would I consider it "not providing a description of the game". In fact, especially when I'm at the stadium listening it clearly illustrates that Marty is painting a picture of exactly what is going on down on the field.

Do commericals bother you too? Those aren't "the game". How about station identification breaks? Those aren't "the game". How about news breaks? Those aren't "the game". It must really drive you nuts when Bob C, Kriv or President Bush are in the booth because those certinally aren't "the game".

It all comes down to preference. As much as I love baseball I couldn't stand a 3 hour, non stop monologe that consists of "here's the pitch...it's a ball....if it had been over 3 inches it would have been a strike....here's the next pitch...oh...a strike....he's on fire now....here's the next pitch".

westofyou
07-25-2006, 03:44 PM

Well during the email thing that this whole thread is about there was a stolen base that occured whilst Marty was reading the emails, he mentioned it after the throw had nailed Freel. So in essence during the windup and the pitch Marty was reading the email, then batter swung and missed and the catcher threw the ball to second and nailed the runner. All while Marty was reading the email.

I know this because it's the only time I've listened to Marty this year.

westofyou
07-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Do commericals bother you too? Those aren't "the game". How about station identification breaks? Those aren't "the game". How about news breaks? Those aren't "the game". It must really drive you nuts when Bob C, Kriv or President Bush are in the booth because those certinally aren't "the game".Sarcasm can be bothering.

dabvu2498
07-25-2006, 03:48 PM
Do commericals bother you too? Those aren't "the game". How about station identification breaks? Those aren't "the game". How about news breaks? Those aren't "the game". It must really drive you nuts when Bob C, Kriv or President Bush are in the booth because those certinally aren't "the game".

One thing that does royally chap my rear is to return from commercial break to hear that a pitch has already been thrown and in some cases a hit or out recorded.

Ltlabner
07-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Sarcasm can be bothering.

Um..ok. That wasn't sarcasim but ok. I was asking serrious questions. If a mention of an off the field activity detracts from the PBP, and leaves some listeners confused and un-entertained then what about all of the other "non game" activities that take place durring a broadcast? Maybe radio just isn't the medium for enjoying a baseball game for some people.

I think it's a fair question since there are far more "non game" activities going on besides Marty mentioning a golf trip or his dislike of Shea Stadium.

redsrule2500
07-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Marty is awesome.

redsfanmia
07-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Your my new hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

redsrule2500
07-25-2006, 03:52 PM
:lol: I missed that one.. Not laughing at you, but laughing at closed minded Marty showing how stupid he is again.

Close-minded?? Are you serious? :rolleyes:

M2
Yes M2 because the management of WLW has been staffed by complete idiots since the early 1970s and they've overlooked the lack of revenue generated bacause Marty has nice hair. Come on. Do you really think an objective 3rd party (WLW) is going to stick with a guy (Marty B) if the revenue he generates via advertising was worse than they thought it should be?

What do they think it should be? We all know the Reds don't do very well on local revenues. I'm not saying that's Marty's fault and, like I said, I'd be real interested in seeing how his numbers stack up against teams' broadcasts, but I can tell you Cincinnati's been a weak media market. So if Marty's not raking in the fans then I don't see where his staged "flying off the handle over fanmail" antics deserve a freebie or why he's in any way, shape or form irreplaceable.

If you are offended by Marty daring to mention something that happens off the field then turn off the radio and move on.

Offended isn't really the word. Disgusted covers it for me ... and I don't listen to the guy. If the Reds radio feed is playing over the MLBtv feed, I hit mute. Too bad, because I like Steve.

The fact is that most of the world that listens to the radio does not want to hear a never ending monologe of the game chocked filled with three hours of stats, figures, arcane explinations of baseball strategy and the like.

And pray tell what arcane method did you use to divine that I wanted any such thing?

But 98% of the baseball world wants a description of the game and to be entertained.

I agree. Guess I missed the memo where planned fanbashing counts as entertainment.

redsfan30
One thing that does royally chap my rear is to return from commercial break to hear that a pitch has already been thrown and in some cases a hit or out recorded.
Marty has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Matt700wlw
07-25-2006, 03:53 PM

Blame sales! :D

Chip R
07-25-2006, 03:55 PM

That is true. Chris Denorfia is the one who decides that. ;)

pedro
07-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Um..ok. That wasn't sarcasim but ok. I was asking serrious questions. If a mention of an off the field activity detracts from the PBP, and leaves some listeners confused and un-entertained then what about all of the other "non game" activities that take place durring a broadcast? Maybe radio just isn't the medium for enjoying a baseball game for some people.

I think it's a fair question since there are far more "non game" activities going on besides Marty mentioning a golf trip or his dislike of Shea Stadium.

The other non game stuff is part of the deal. You get that with any team/announcer. But I've never heard another announcer who spent as much time talking about his personal life to the detriment of the job that he is supposed to be doing which is announcing the actual game.

registerthis
07-25-2006, 04:01 PM
But I've never heard another announcer who spent as much time talking about his personal life to the detriment of the job that he is supposed to be doing which is announcing the actual game.

Perhaps some people don't mind that as much... :dunno:

Red Leader
07-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Marty Brenneman. Adam Dunn. Does anyone else find it ironic that so many people are so black and white on both of these guys on this board?

Just so my position is known, I think Marty Brenneman is a good announcer, there are some times where I still think he is a great announcer. Most of the time, though, I get mad when I hear him rambling on about crap I don't care about instead of calling the game and providing information about the game or the players. I don't expect him to only announce the game play by play and talk about nothing else, but with that being the case, it'd be nice, IMO, if he would talk about something related to the game of baseball instead of crap about himself, or his friends, or some crazy guy he met at an airport and is still friends with 20 years later. If you want to listen to a true Hall of Fame announcer day in and day out, listen to Vin Scully. The guy is simply amazing. He know everything about every player. Some guy making his major league debut? Scully can talk about him straight through for a 15 pitch AB. Amazing.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Marty Brenneman. Adam Dunn. Does anyone else find it ironic that so many people are so black and white on both of these guys on this board?

Just so my position is known, I think Marty Brenneman is a good announcer, there are some times where I still think he is a great announcer. Most of the time, though, I get mad when I hear him rambling on about crap I don't care about instead of calling the game and providing information about the game or the players. I don't expect him to only announce the game play by play and talk about nothing else, but with that being the case, it'd be nice, IMO, if he would talk about something related to the game of baseball instead of crap about himself, or his friends, or some crazy guy he met at an airport and is still friends with 20 years later. If you want to listen to a true Hall of Fame announcer day in and day out, listen to Vin Scully. The guy is simply amazing. He know everything about every player. Some guy making his major league debut? Scully can talk about him straight through for a 15 pitch AB. Amazing.
While I don't agree with your stance on Marty, I do agree about Scully. I usually find myself turning the Dodgers on the EI package and listening to him call the game while I fall asleep. He's simply great.

Ltlabner
07-25-2006, 04:05 PM
So if Marty's not raking in the fans then I don't see where his staged "flying off the handle over fanmail" antics deserve a freebie or why he's in any way, shape or form irreplaceable.

My point was that if he wasn't generating the revenue that they thought he should (by whatever metric, comparison to other simular markets or whatever) they wouldn't stick with him. It's a business pure and simple. So if what you are hinting at (that Marty isn't as popular as some might think) is true that would mean that WLW is not making as much money as they could. And they most assuridly would not do this over the course of 30 years.

And pray tell what arcane method did you use to divine that I wanted any such thing?

And pray tell what arcane method did you use to divine that I said YOU wanted any such thing? But the general message from this thread is that some people want nothing but an unadulterated description of what is going on between the lines. Some people said they liked the explinations of baseball mechanics (I think from Vin). Others have said they don't like his opinions on players that aren't rooted in facts (code words: not rooted in stats). Well, to fill up THREE HOURS of a ball game you gotta talk about something. The above items seemed like a good place to start.

I agree. Guess I missed the memo where planned fanbashing counts as entertainment.

To you obviously it doesn't. To me, and apparently a fair number of other people, it does. I like it when Marty speaks his mind and says what he thinks. Doesn't mean he's right about every subject but he is honest about what he thinks and he articulates it well. I find that very entertaining. When he blows off a fan I think it's pretty funny. The fan may be 100% right but since Marty is not the arbitrator of all truth in the world I don't take any offence to it because I know it's Marty expressing his opinion. You know....like we all do here every day.

KronoRed
07-25-2006, 04:05 PM
That's how I see it too, game first..if I wanted golf/story 3 hours I'd turn on another radio station

Chip R
07-25-2006, 04:07 PM
While I don't agree with your stance on Marty, I do agree about Scully. I usually find myself turning the Dodgers on the EI package and listening to him call the game while I fall asleep. He's simply great.

He's starting to sound his age a bit. When Fox radio does their scoreboard they sometimes play the calls of the announcers on a certain play. The other day they played one and I was thinking, 'Who is that old guy?" and then I realized it was Vin Scully. He kind of sounded like Grandpa Simpson at first.

pedro
07-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Perhaps some people don't mind that as much... :dunno:

yeah you covered that thanks.

dabvu2498
07-25-2006, 04:09 PM
I know... I figured if we're complaining about the radio broadcast, why not pile on... Maybe we can blame it on Marty taking too long to read emails and delaying the start of the commercial breaks. ;)

registerthis
07-25-2006, 04:10 PM
yeah you covered that thanks.

Well, it keeps being brought up.

jimbo
07-25-2006, 04:11 PM
I'll probably get slammed for saying this and that's ok. This is not directed at any one person, but I think that this thread is an example of how intolerant our society has become.

Ltlabner
07-25-2006, 04:14 PM
The other non game stuff is part of the deal. You get that with any team/announcer. But I've never heard another announcer who spent as much time talking about his personal life to the detriment of the job that he is supposed to be doing which is announcing the actual game.

Fair enough Pedro but I guess I just don't consider the "off topic" comments that big of a deal because we are talking about 2.5 to 3 hours of baseball every night. Some people try to make it sound like he does nothing but talk about golfing with an occasional reference to the game. I listen almost nightly and that just isn't the case. On a percentage basis his comments about other subjects are infentesimal compared to the play by play.

We need a new stat for that ;)

pedro
07-25-2006, 04:15 PM
I'll probably get slammed for saying this and that's ok. This is not directed at any one person, but I think that this thread is an example of how intolerant our society has become.

Well I sure hope you're not suggesting that we could learn anything about tolerance from Marty Brenneman because that would just be too rich.

remdog
07-25-2006, 04:19 PM

That's a pretty good sumation of the way I feel about this whole isssue.

Rem

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Could it have been him going off when the guy e-mailed bashing his political stance? He seemed pretty po'd about it.

Cyclone792
07-25-2006, 04:21 PM

That's pretty close to my take too, RL.

I still listen to Marty, but then again my options are the FSN crew and the WLW boys so I quickly choose Marty and Steve (and Joe) over the FSN crew. Pretty much the only time I'll listen to FSN is when I don't have a choice at a sports bar or a friend's place, or when George Grande is in Cooperstown working on the HOF inductions.

Marty does a pretty darn good job when he's in a good mood, talking about the game and the Reds are playing well. Now all the above doesn't necessarily happen too frequently, but he's a joy to listen to when it does. Most of his annoying schtick I'm able to tune out and ignore since my options are limited to doing that or getting aggravated every game. He will still annoy me a little bit periodically, though, when he decides to beat the horse on a player or drift off away from the game repeatedly.

The second inning is also very interesting when Marty's joined in the booth by one of the local writers. Lancaster is outstanding, Fay's just an idiot, and when McCoy's in the booth it's almost like a family reunion of good ole boys.

Ltlabner
07-25-2006, 04:24 PM
He will still annoy me periodically, though, when he decides to beat the horse on a player.

Like "scrappy vets"? Or Castro and Clayton being worthless? Or RA being the anti-christ? Or that EE walks on water? Or that Deno can save the free world? Or that Narron is mentally deficent? Or that Milton eats babies and burns kittens?

Oh wait...I was thinking of the wrong place. My bad.

IowaRed
07-25-2006, 04:33 PM
I keep Marty's call of Dunn's game winning grand-slam and Randa's opening day home run from last year on my desktop and listen to them occasionally. When he's focused on the game and calling big moments there is still nobody better. On the subject of Vin Scully, I enjoy that he's connected to the history of baseball and he still does a fine job, I've always thought that he was simply reading the same player information over and over, if you watch a whole series, from his game notes. That certainly isn't bad, I just don't rate him as most for his knowledge of the game

KittyDuran
07-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Like "scrappy vets"? Or Castro and Clayton being worthless? Or RA being the anti-christ? Or that EE walks on water? Or that Deno can save the free world? Or that Narron is mentally deficent? Or that Milton eats babies and burns kittens?

Oh wait...I was thinking of the wrong place. My bad.:laugh: :notworthy

KronoRed
07-25-2006, 04:37 PM

Oh wait...I was thinking of the wrong place. My bad.
But...plenty of other Reds boards to go too, only 1 radio PBP team ;)

Ltlabner
07-25-2006, 04:39 PM
But...plenty of other Reds boards to go too, only 1 radio PBP team

Spend the money, get mlb.radio and listen to the out of town feed. So there's always at least one other radio PBP team to listen too.

JEA
07-25-2006, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE]It's not that stressful to have to go to the airport a couple times a week and stay in a nice hotel rooms and then take 6 months vacation.[QUOTE]

Marty works more than six months.

There's the six month regular season. Additionally, the broadcasters always show up to spring training the first week of February. That's an extra two months.

There's also a week for the Reds caravan and I know he also does some random events during the regular season and offseason such as hosting the Reds HOF inductions and events for season ticket holders.

I'm sure he has some commitments at the station for promos and stuff (perhaps Matt700WLW would know better) as well as other endorsements he does.

That's not even taking into consideration the time he spends on fan mail and charity work. I know many people who have written him and gotten responses back, and I've seen him at plenty of fundraisers and tournaments in the area. Didn't he (or does he still?) still do some basketball broadcasting too?

All the stuff adds up.

I'm not saying that's an extraordinarily difficult job or extremely stressful, but just because someone has a dream job that most baseball fans would kill to have doesn't mean it's a cakewalk.

Football broadcasters on the other hand... ;)

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 05:01 PM

Someone sends him an e-mail telling HOW to do his job, and responds back, but he is stupid....?

^^^ This is the exact reason why he calls many people 'boobs'.

Go Marty. :thumbup:

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 05:10 PM
What do they think it should be? We all know the Reds don't do very well on local revenues. I'm not saying that's Marty's fault and, like I said, I'd be real interested in seeing how his numbers stack up against teams' broadcasts, but I can tell you Cincinnati's been a weak media market. So if Marty's not raking in the fans then I don't see where his staged "flying off the handle over fanmail" antics deserve a freebie or why he's in any way, shape or form irreplaceable.

Offended isn't really the word. Disgusted covers it for me ... and I don't listen to the guy. If the Reds radio feed is playing over the MLBtv feed, I hit mute. Too bad, because I like Steve.

A weak media market? Compared to who? New York? LA? Chicago? Tampa Bay?

3/4 of the cities with baseball teams are bigger than Cincinnati, of course Cincinnati is not going to rank up there.

Marty mentions Golf and e-mails for about 5-10 minutes in a 3 hour game, and some of you people throw a fit about it and say he sucks...? I don't get it. That's why I will stick with my absolute assumption that 3/4 of the people on this board are 'stat freaks', and would rather listen to statistics and explanations of each and every play, than an actual human being's view on baseball.

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Close-minded?? Are you serious? :rolleyes:

Ever hear Marty change his mind or be open to a thought that differs from his own?

How about last year when he kept harping about how Dunn only hits solo HR? Steve corrected him, and Marty insisted that he get the numbers to back that up. Steve got the numbers which proved that over half of Dunn's HRs were with runners on? Marty was pissy the rest of the game, and still hasn't changed his opinion.

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Marty mentions Golf and e-mails for about 5-10 minutes in a 3 hour game, and some of you people throw a fit about it and say he sucks...? I don't get it.

Me neither.

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 05:37 PM
[QUOTE=Rob DickenMarty mentions Golf and e-mails for about 5-10 minutes in a 3 hour game, and some of you people throw a fit about it and say he sucks...? .[/QUOTE]

If it was only 5-10 minutes per game, it would be ok.

Also toss in his side conversations with his buddies that wander into the booth, inside jokes, his tired routine of blowing the trivia question out of proportion, commenting on how someone is freezing to death every game, etc. It's a lot longer than 5-10 minutes. He thinks he's Johnny Carson on the air.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 05:40 PM
If it was only 5-10 minutes per game, it would be ok.

Also toss in his side conversations with his buddies that wander into the booth, inside jokes, his tired routine of blowing the trivia question out of proportion, commenting on how someone is freezing to death every game, etc. It's a lot longer than 5-10 minutes. He thinks he's Johnny Carson on the air.

Let's put it this way.....in percentages for some :rolleyes:

About 5% of Marty's broadcasts are non-baseball related. :laugh:

REDREAD
07-25-2006, 05:53 PM
About 5% of Marty's broadcasts are non-baseball related.

If only that were true ... :)

M2
07-25-2006, 07:42 PM
My point was that if he wasn't generating the revenue that they thought he should (by whatever metric, comparison to other simular markets or whatever) they wouldn't stick with him. It's a business pure and simple. So if what you are hinting at (that Marty isn't as popular as some might think) is true that would mean that WLW is not making as much money as they could. And they most assuridly would not do this over the course of 30 years.

I suspect it's a more recent phenomenon if that's indeed the case. FWIW, I think the performance of the Reds' radio broadcast has been evaluated in a fishbowl until possibly this season. At least I saw no indication that anyone with any media savvy worked for the Reds during the Schott and Lindner regimes.

Anyway, I'm told Marty used to be a different animal before the past decade and far less alienating than the current model.

And pray tell what arcane method did you use to divine that I said YOU wanted any such thing?

I read what you wrote in response to what I had written and posted it verbatim? Didn't seem that arcane when I did it.

To you obviously it doesn't. To me, and apparently a fair number of other people, it does. I like it when Marty speaks his mind and says what he thinks. Doesn't mean he's right about every subject but he is honest about what he thinks and he articulates it well. I find that very entertaining. When he blows off a fan I think it's pretty funny. The fan may be 100% right but since Marty is not the arbitrator of all truth in the world I don't take any offence to it because I know it's Marty expressing his opinion. You know....like we all do here every day.

This is where I get back to the word "drivel." You think Vin Scully, Jon Miller, Charlie Steiner, Harry Kalas, Ed Coleman or any other estimable radio broadcaster you'd care to name would lower himself to staging a segment where he flies off the handle over listener comments? What a sad bit of circus. I once saw a guy with trained poodles that danced in unison on their hindlegs and each one would whiz when the guy poked it with a stick. I suppose that counted as entertainment too.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Here's a thought....And I am sure that it's been said numerous times in this topic....I dunno....just flying off the handle here...

DON'T LISTEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

Fact of the matter is this....many people are basing their judgements on Marty based on what THEY think he does, his work schedule, and his 'supposed' behind the scenes work. You have a guy that actually works as a broadcaster, post a normal daily work schedule for a broadcaster, and we STILL have people debating it. What does this tell you? We have opinionated people here (like Marty), who aren't very accepting of facts (like Marty).

Marty is my favorite broadcaster of all time. I like Vin Scully, but he becomes a drag when all he does is talk about other players and how great they are, where they went to school, their friends, how he met them, etc. What makes that any better than Marty talking about friends he has met, how he met them, etc? it's the same frickin' thing!

I'm sitting here listening to Marty here right now, interviewing Jerry Narron, and I don't hear any discrepancies? Of course, Narron can make anyone look smart. :laugh:

M2
07-25-2006, 07:53 PM
A weak media market? Compared to who? New York? LA? Chicago? Tampa Bay?

Compared to most every other team in MLB. The new regime showed an immediate recognition that the local market needs to start producing a lot more revenue.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Compared to most every other team in MLB. The new regime showed an immediate recognition that the local market needs to start producing a lot more revenue.

I would be willing to bet, that 1/2 of the cities of MLB teams are twice as big as Cincinnati. Reds following is exactly the same as the Bengals....we have too many fairweather fans in Cincinnati....they only come and pay attention when the Reds are winning. Otherwise, they don't exist. Which, in my opinion, is absolute crap.

Ltlabner
At least I saw no indication that anyone with any media savvy worked for the Reds during the Schott and Lindner regimes.

Doesn't matter. Marty is broadcasting over WLW's airwaves (isn't he an WLW employee ? I can't remember) so WLW would be the ones worried about whether he is making them enough money or not.

You may have a point about any change in his "ratings" being recient because he has definatley changed since Joe left the booth. I'm sure they track everything down to the last listener and penny. But since we don't know the results we would both be speculating. So your theroy that Marty's "ratings" are down is just that...your theory.

I read what you wrote in response to what I had written and posted it verbatim? Didn't seem that arcane when I did it.

Thats neat, but no where in my post did I say M2 wants to hear XYZ. I said most of the listening audiance wanted a certian thing from a radio broadcast. And since you shared that you don't care for Marty and don't listen (I think you said this, I may be wrong) then you obviously are not part of that listening audience.

I once saw a guy with trained poodles that danced in unison on their hindlegs and each one would whiz when the guy poked it with a stick. I suppose that counted as entertainment too.

Yea, if you didn't have a sense of humor that equated to a stick in the mud, then yes, this might fall in the general relm of "entertainment". This is a baseball broadcast we are talking about, not a state funeral or somber occasion.

StillFunkyB
Is there ANYONE here who likes Fay?

I have a feeling the answer to that is a resounding NO.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 07:58 PM
Yea, if you didn't have a sense of humor that equated to a stick in the mud, then yes, this might fall in the general relm of "entertainment". This is a baseball broadcast we are talking about, not a state funeral or somber occasion.

My favorite was the anology of Marty to a steakhouse chef. LMAO :laugh:

M2
07-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Doesn't matter. Marty is broadcasting over WLW's airwaves (isn't he an WLW employee ? I can't remember) so WLW would be the ones worried about whether he is making them enough money or not.

Teams hire the broadcasters, not the stations.

You may have a point about any change in his "ratings" being recient because he has definatley changed since Joe left the booth. I'm sure they track everything down to the last listener and penny. But since we don't know the results we would both be speculating. So your theroy that Marty's "ratings" are down is just that...your theory.

I wouldn't know about post-Joe Marty. I stopped listening to him before that. BTW, I'm not saying the Reds ratings have changed in the past year or two. What I'm wondering is how the Reds broadcasts do compared to the rest of the industry, something I doubt the pre-Castellini ownership ever bothered to evaluate.

Thats neat, but no where in my post did I say M2 wants to hear XYZ. I said most of the listening audiance wanted a certian thing from a radio broadcast. And since you shared that you don't care for Marty and don't listen (I think you said this, I may be wrong) then you obviously are not part of that listening audience.

A) I'm not possessed with mind reading skills. When you respond to something I wrote I'm going to assume the response pertains to me unless you indicate otherwise.

B) I'm just some guy who watches 162 Reds games a year. No reason why the organization might want someone like me tuning into their radio broadcasts.

Oh, it was certainly entertaining in a "look at what that idiot trained his dogs to do" sort of way. I think the Springer show's a howl too. That's great for those who want to be a sideshow huckster.

Then again, if people share your take on Marty's pre-programmed pissed off episodes maybe the Reds ought to market it. When he's got an off day, Dan Carvey can step in and do his cranky old man schtick.

Ltlabner
07-25-2006, 08:27 PM
When you respond to something I wrote I'm going to assume the response pertains to me unless you indicate otherwise.

I did...I said "most people". You obviously dissagree with me so you are not the one being addressed. Perhaps you shouldn't assume everything is about you? The world can't revolve around you....because it clearly revolves around ME. Hahaha

I'm just some guy who watches 162 Reds games a year. No reason why the organization might want someone like me tuning into their radio broadcasts.

Actually there is. If having a broadcast that interests you but bores the vast majority of other listeners to tears then yes, they wouldn't want to tailor their broadcast to suit you and would rather you keep watching and hating Grande.

Oh, it was certainly entertaining in a "look at what that idiot trained his dogs to do" sort of way. I think the Springer show's a howl too. That's great for those who want to be a sideshow huckster.

While not that low-brow this is baseball on the radio we are talking about. It's not that sophisicated.

You don't like Marty and watch TV. That's cool. I find him entertaining and makes a baseball broadcast colorfull.

By the way, it's the end of the 1st and Marty hasn't mentioned anything about golf or any other non-baseball topics.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 08:32 PM
By the way, it's the end of the 1st and Marty hasn't mentioned anything about golf or any other non-baseball topics.

I KNOW!!! It's amazing!!! :eek:

</sarcasm>

M2
07-25-2006, 08:37 PM
I did...I said "most people". You obviously dissagree with me so you are not the one being addressed. Perhaps you shouldn't assume everything is about you? The world can't revolve around you....because it clearly revolves around ME. Hahaha

No, I only assume that things written in direct response to something I've posted pertain to me. Now I'm assuming some other things ...

Actually there is. If having a broadcast that interests you but bores the vast majority of other listeners to tears then yes, they wouldn't want to tailor their broadcast to suit you and would rather you keep watching and hating Grande.

I hate George Grande? News to me. Here I thought he was innocuous.

While not that low-brow this is baseball on the radio we are talking about. It's not that sophisicated.

Sophisticated schmophisticated. All I'm saying is the guy could stand be less of a sphincter.

Ltlabner
07-25-2006, 08:39 PM
All I'm saying is the guy could stand be less of a sphincter.

Wow...it took a lot of posts for us to get here, didn't it. I can apprciate this position.

I enjoy being around a smart alec but I can understand how that can rub people the wrong way.

RollyInRaleigh
07-25-2006, 09:42 PM
You know the thread has reached a high level when the word
"sphincter" comes out.

Ltlabner
07-25-2006, 09:45 PM
By the way, it's the top of the 7th and not one word about golf or any other non-baseball topics. ;)

I know, I know...small sample size.

Rocket_Fuel
07-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Whne tried that with Junior (exact same wording) Junior didn't say anything for about a day, then he asked Marty if Marty had come on in 1974... Yes said Marty.. Well replied Griffey, we got here in 73.

That is a great quote. Marty can take as well as dish it out.

ThornWithin81
07-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Marty's fine by me.

redsfanmia
07-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Actually Marty cant take it and can only dish it out. Marty as I remember got hot and had a mini fued with Griffey after this and when Stew corrects him on anything he gets extremely hot also. Marty is what he is a crotchedy old man, who on certain nights, like tonight, is still brilliant but honestly other than a night here and a night there he is a bitter distracted man who comes across like he doesnt want to be there calling the game. Just my opinion of course and to bring back another point Marty is replacable.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Everyone is replaceable. But as far as what Marty has done for this team, and the years of memories and legendary broadcasts he has made, that is irreplaceable.

Oh yeah....9 innings...and NO mention of non-baseball related topics. :rolleyes:

MaineRed
07-25-2006, 11:38 PM
I was listening to Vin this year, who is in his 80s, he always has interesting tidbits about players, interesting numbers and facts, it was refreshing. To top it off after Garciaparra made a nice defensive play at first Vin discussed the intricacies of playing first and brought up some points the casual fan was unlikely to notice. It is obvious he still works at it, he generally does the game by himself and works the entire nine innings.

Just sayin.

Maybe it has been said, I stopped reading the thread when I got to this post, but just imagine Vin Scully taking emails. First of all, who would write in and egg the guy on? Secondly, if someone did, do you think he would read it on the air and go on and on about how the email was going to be the subject of a special show he was doing?

Vin Scully is in the Hall of Fame and when you listen to him it is clear why he is there. People always say there should be a Hall of Fame, within the Hall of Fame, a place reserved for Gehrig, Ruth, Williams, Aaron and Cobb. But not a place for Gary Carter.

In terms of the HOF Vin Scully is Babe Ruth. Marty is Gary Carter.

Thanks for bringing up Scully, Ricardo, I think it really speaks volumes about this particular subject. It would be absolutey scary to hear Vin Scully berating emailers and talking about himself for long stretches. Why should Red fans expect less?

I've listened to a lot of baseball this season and I don't know of any other radio or TV broadcasters that read hatemail. Its absurd!

Marty has become the Stephen A. Smith of Cincinnati. He has turned into a punk who acts and talks as though he is smarter than everyone else.

This whole email thing is a big waste of time. I can't believe people enjoy it. This is baseball. Nobody else does it. Do you all think Marty is some sort of trendsetter or an idiot? Must be one of the other, because he is the only one who does it. If the guy is a trendsetter, that means you want other announcers to folow his lead. Maybe Katie Couric can read hatemail during the CBS Evening News. How about if Tim McCarver takes hatemail during the World Series? That should be fun, eh? Where does it stop?

Marty can start acting like a HOF broadcaster, any ole day now.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 11:49 PM
In terms of the HOF Vin Scully is Babe Ruth. Marty is Gary Carter.

Pretty harsh response.

Probably can't disagree more. If you don't know anything about Babe Ruth....in a moral sense, he wasn't the best man to the people. He was a media *****.

I'm not saying you have to be a Marty Brennamen fan, but don't belittle him like this, as he does have supporters here. We don't need weird analogies and block-headed comparisons....all you have to say is 'I don't like Marty.' That will work, trust me.

SteelSD
07-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Here's a thought....And I am sure that it's been said numerous times in this topic....I dunno....just flying off the handle here...

DON'T LISTEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

Yeah, that's wonderful advice. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. If you don't like the commercial, don't watch it. And you know where that gets an organization whose business is to promote their product? Nowhere fast.

Radio broadcasts are active revenue generation machines. They're also marketing tools for baseball organizations. If Marty actually did "tell it like it is", he wouldn't be a flashpoint for criticism. But he doesn't "tell it like it is". He tells it like he thinks it should be. His current job is to perpetuate the legend of Marty Brennaman. You don't tune in for a Reds' game with Brennaman. You tune in for Marty Brennaman telling you how a Reds' game should really be played.

It's unfortunate, but that's common with aging folks who're used to being in the spotlight. When protecting one's legacy becomes more important than doing one's work, there's a problem because that person then becomes more dedicated to providing himself with a following instead of providing his organization with a following. That's Marty Brennaman in a nutshell.

Age happened to Harry Caray too. But the difference is that Harry Caray became the odd likeable curmudgeon. He never descended into the realm of Marty Brennaman. Ever. Oh, every once in a while Caray would say something Steve Stone would find ridiculous, but he rarely created bad things out of thin air about the Cubs just to convince the listening fans that his legacy meant more than the franchise.

If Marty focused on baseball, stopped mercilessly ranting on young players, and ceased his premiditated strikes on fans then he'd still be a Reds treasure. I'd actually still listen to him. But particularly when the Reds are down he kicks them. He provides misinformation, disinformation, and any form of anything that doesn't qualify as real live in-game analysis. He feels entitled to his insults and player-dogging because he is, after all, Marty Brennaman. He's a Hall of Fame announcer and, even if you don't ask, he'll let you know.

And the very idea that Marty Brennaman's name is brought up with Vin Scully disturbs me. Vin Scully is currently not at the top of his game and hasn't been for a bit. But his voice is silk. When Vin Scully talks about baseball you know he's talking about baseball. He is a national treasure. When Marty Brennaman talks about baseball, it's about Marty Brennaman. That's the point of divergence and it's flat plain evident.

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 12:09 AM
Yeah, that's wonderful advice. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. If you don't like the commercial, don't watch it. And you know where that gets an organization whose business is to promote their product? Nowhere fast.

Radio broadcasts are active revenue generation machines. They're also marketing tools for baseball organizations. If Marty actually did "tell it like it is", he wouldn't be a flashpoint for criticism. But he doesn't "tell it like it is". He tells it like he thinks it should be. His current job is to perpetuate the legend of Marty Brennaman. You don't tune in for a Reds' game with Brennaman. You tune in for Marty Brennaman telling you how a Reds' game should really be played.

It's unfortunate, but that's common with aging folks who're used to being in the spotlight. When protecting one's legacy becomes more important than doing one's work, there's a problem because that person then becomes more dedicated to providing himself with a following instead of providing his organization with a following. That's Marty Brennaman in a nutshell.

Age happened to Harry Caray too. But the difference is that Harry Caray became the odd likeable curmudgeon. He never descended into the realm of Marty Brennaman. Ever. Oh, every once in a while Caray would say something Steve Stone would find ridiculous, but he rarely created bad things out of thin air about the Cubs just to convince the listening fans that his legacy meant more than the franchise.

If Marty focused on baseball, stopped mercilessly ranting on young players, and ceased his premiditated strikes on fans then he'd still be a Reds treasure. I'd actually still listen to him. But particularly when the Reds are down he kicks them. He provides misinformation, disinformation, and any form of anything that doesn't qualify as real live in-game analysis. He feels entitled to his insults and player-dogging because he is, after all, Marty Brennaman. He's a Hall of Fame announcer and, even if you don't ask, he'll let you know.

And the very idea that Marty Brennaman's name is brought up with Vin Scully disturbs me. Vin Scully is currently not at the top of his game and hasn't been for a bit. But his voice is silk. When Vin Scully talks about baseball you know he's talking about baseball. He is a national treasure. When Marty Brennaman talks about baseball, it's about Marty Brennaman. That's the point of divergence and it's flat plain evident.

Really? I thought it was odd he was talking about aspects of the game tonight....and for some odd reason....hmmm....it didn't sound like he was talking about himself. I don't know....Don't mind little old me...:p:

I really do think people blow his broadcasts out of proportion. I've heard him talk about golf and friends and so forth. Who cares? He mentions it maybe 1-2 times during a broadcast, not consuming more than 5 minutes in a 3 hour + game. This is like looking at a painting and saying that a dot is out of place. It really is that minute. And 3/4 of his haters are pissed at him because he gives an opinion....what does he need to do to Entertain you? Put on a Ben Stein suit and monotone? :laugh:

MaineRed
07-26-2006, 12:23 AM
I don't think it was harsh at all. There are different levels of Hall of Famers. On the baseball end, Babe Ruth is at the top, Gary Carter is more towards the bottom. At the broadcasters wing, Scully is at the top, Marty is where Gary Carter is.

Don't tell me how to express my feelings on Marty and then go on and on about how great he is. If you like him, just say that, it will work, trust me.

remdog
07-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Pretty harsh response.

Probably can't disagree more. If you don't know anything about Babe Ruth....in a moral sense, he wasn't the best man to the people. He was a media *****.

I'm not saying you have to be a Marty Brennamen fan, but don't belittle him like this, as he does have supporters here. We don't need weird analogies and block-headed comparisons....all you have to say is 'I don't like Marty.' That will work, trust me.

Completely appropriate comparison, IMO. In terms of performance, Ruth far out performed someone like Gary Carter though they are both in the HOF. Vin has far out performed Marty. And, you don't think Marty isn't a 'media *****'? :rolleyes:

Rem

MaineRed
07-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Pretty harsh response.

My Babe Ruth analogy was about baseball, not morals. I don't care if he spit wacky tabacky juice on infants, if there were a Hall of Fame, within the Hall of Fame, Ruth would be in it. The guy is one fo the best ever.

Marty is not one of the best ever. The best don't do what he presently does.

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Completely appropriate comparison, IMO. In terms of performance, Ruth far out performed someone like Gary Carter though they are both in the HOF. Vin has far out performed Marty. And, you don't think Marty isn't a 'media *****'? :rolleyes:

Rem

Okay....so what are you saying? I am kind of confused.

Ruth out performed Carter....so Vince is Ruth, and Marty is Carter...okay, I get that. I would still disagree, however.

Vince Scully is good....but he is propelled by many far beyond his capabilities. Marty isn't necessarily the best announcer out there, but he is still good. He's the voice of the Reds, and has been for over 30 years. He's the best we have ever had, and probably ever will. If replaced, do you honestly think Steve Stewart or some other WLW croney would be just as good? Stewart is good....but Marty makes him look like exactly what he is....a sidekick.

BTW, all announcers are media *****s. They work in media, so therefore, they eat it up. Ruth did not...and he said things and did things outside of the field just to get attention.

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 12:33 AM
My Babe Ruth analogy was about baseball, not morals. I don't care if he spit wacky tabacky juice on infants, if there were a Hall of Fame, within the Hall of Fame, Ruth would be in it. The guy is one fo the best ever.

Marty is not one of the best ever. The best don't do what he presently does.

He's not one of the best ever....so he's in the Hall of Fame...? That's the biggest contradiction I have ever heard in my life.

That's like saying, 'Hey, that clock doesn't tell time....but it does!'

SteelSD
07-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Really? I thought it was odd he was talking about aspects of the game tonight....and for some odd reason....hmmm....it didn't sound like he was talking about himself. I don't know....Don't mind little old me...:p:

I really do think people blow his broadcasts out of proportion. I've heard him talk about golf and friends and so forth. Who cares? He mentions it maybe 1-2 times during a broadcast, not consuming more than 5 minutes in a 3 hour + game. This is like looking at a painting and saying that a dot is out of place. It really is that minute. And 3/4 of his haters are pissed at him because he gives an opinion....what does he need to do to Entertain you? Put on a Ben Stein suit and monotone? :laugh:

Ah yes, three quarters of the folks who dislike what Brennaman presents to the general audience are "haters". How quaint. Unfortunately, what Marty Brennaman says on the air does matter. He's part of a marketing arm for the Reds. And as long as he's wrapped up promoting his own legend, he's giving little to promoting the Reds.

And I've already told you what Marty Brennaman needs to do to get me to listen to his broadcasts- be civil, be educational, be entertaining, be factual, and stop positioning his personal agenda regarding young players. At no point has he been willing to do that and this latest controvery is simply another example of his self-absorbed thought process. What he did to one of our own posters was ridiculous because that poster (pedro) is representative of the best of our current fan base. I may not always agree with pedro, but the dude is righteous. Yet, Brennaman continues to feel that he's entitled (key word there) to knock down whomever he pleases in his diligent effort to promote the HOF career of Marty Brennaman.

But feel free to continue insulting those who feel Brennaman has degenerated from a great announcer into an organizational albatross with his self-aggrandizing histrionics. After all, you learned it from Marty.

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Ah yes, three quarters of the folks who dislike what Brennaman presents to the general audience are "haters". How quaint. Unfortunately, what Marty Brennaman says on the air does matter. He's part of a marketing arm for the Reds. And as long as he's wrapped up promoting his own legend, he's giving little to promoting the Reds.

Woah Woah Woah. Looks like we may be getting a little steamed here. Calm down, bud! I assure you, everything is fine! :thumbup:

I have listened to Marty all year. There have been instances where he has called out listeners on their comments through e-mail. He has the right to do that. Why? Because THEY sent the comments to him, and he has the right to respond. That doesn't mean he is promoting his 'legendary status.' It means he's defending himself, which he has every god given right to do.

Just as much as you have the right to give your opinion on him, he and his listeners have the right to respond to those accusations and belittlements. The Golden Rule is killer....every been to Sunday School? :p:

And I've already told you what Marty Brennaman needs to do to get me to listen to his broadcasts- be civil, be educational, be entertaining, be factual, and stop positioning his personal agenda regarding young players. At no point has he been willing to do that and this latest controvery is simply another example of his self-absorbed thought process. What he did to one of our own posters was ridiculous because that poster (pedro) is representative of the best of our current fan base. I may not always agree with pedro, but the dude is righteous. Yet, Brennaman continues to feel that he's entitled (key word there) to knock down whomever he pleases in his diligent effort to promote the HOF career of Marty Brennaman.

As I HAVE SAID on numerous occasions....his 'self-absorbed' thought process exists 5 minutes throughout a 3+ hour long broadcast. Why does this effect you to the point where you think that he's not being educational, civil, entertaining, and factual?

The question is....how can you be entertaining, factual, and educational ALL at one time? When i tune into the Reds broadcasts, I don't want to hear the 'National Geographic' or 'History' channels....I want to hear what's going on at that certain time, some facts about certain situations, some trivia, and some current happenings with Marty, Joe, and even Steve Stewart....things that have experienced while out on the road.

Some of the things some of you want to listen to, would put Stephen Hawkins to sleep.

But feel free to continue insulting those who feel Brennaman has degenerated from a great announcer into an organizational albatross with his self-aggrandizing histrionics. After all, you learned it from Marty.

When did I start insulting people? I believe all I said was 'Marty haters.' If anyone takes offense to that, please....change your huggies.

Just because someone disagrees, doesn't mean they are insulting anyone.

Chill out. :cool:

remdog
07-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Vince Scully is good....but he is propelled by many far beyond his capabilities. Marty isn't necessarily the best announcer out there, but he is still good. He's the voice of the Reds, and has been for over 30 years. He's the best we have ever had, and probably ever will. If replaced, do you honestly think Steve Stewart or some other WLW croney would be just as good?

I'm watching/listening to Vin and the Dodgers as I write this: Vin has earned and deserves all the accolades he has gotten. The man is a joy to listen to, he doesn't trash fans and, btw, does the entire game himself.

As for Marty being the best the Reds have ever had and/or someone being able to replace Marty I addressed this earlier in this thread. IMO, Marty is not the best the Reds have ever had, Al Michaels was. Many others would argue that Waite Hoyt was the best announcer ever for the Reds.

So, do I think that someone can replace Brennaman and do a better job. Of course I do! You're entitled to your opinion but so is everyone else posting on this thread. (shrug) I (and many others here) simply disagree with you.

Rem

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 01:17 AM
I'm watching/listening to Vin and the Dodgers as I write this: Vin has earned and deserves all the accolades he has gotten. The man is a joy to listen to, he doesn't trash fans and, btw, does the entire game himself.

As for Marty being the best the Reds have ever had and/or someone being able to replace Marty I addressed this earlier in this thread. IMO, Marty is not the best the Reds have ever had, Al Michaels was. Many others would argue that Waite Hoyt was the best announcer ever for the Reds.

So, do I think that someone can replace Brennaman and do a better job. Of course I do! You're entitled to your opinion but so is everyone else posting on this thread. (shrug) I (and many others here) simply disagree with you.

Rem

Al Michaels? I diasgree.

Marty has been named Ohio Sportscaster of the year TWELVE...count them...TWELVE times.

He was at the mic for Hank Aaron's record tying 714th homerun, Pete Rose's 4,192nd hit, and Ken Griffey Jr's 500th career homerun. Those are some great experiences to be announcing during, and not to mention were very enjoyable and exciting while he did them.

Not to mention....when Marty succeeded Al Michaels....he was chosen over 200 APPLICANTS!!

Besides, the Frick Award isn't an actual induction into the Hall of Fame anyways. So Mel Allen, Vin Sculley, and Marty Brennamen really can't even make the claim of being there. Nonetheless, it still is a prestigious award....ONLY given to the best. So yes, Marty is the best.

BTW, Al Michaels hasn't received it yet. Just thought I would throw that out there for ya. :thumbup:

GOREDSGO32
07-26-2006, 01:26 AM
You know what, I love Marty, forget the haters. He says a lot of things I am thinking when it comes to when the Reds make stupid mistakes, except in a much less profane way than what goes on in my head. I mean you gotta figure, this guy started when the Reds were in the Big Red Machine era. The Reds so far have made the playoffs ONCE in the past 15 years. The Reds have been in the playoffs with one WS title and one NLCS in the past TWENTY SIX years. He's broadcast through all of it, the good and the bad - and the bad far outweighs the good. I mean he was there in 1999 when the Reds only had to win a series versus a cellar dwellar to make the playoffs, and couldn't do that ... and lost a one game playoff! Collapses in 02, 99, and on down the line. I'm sure the guy would like to broadcast a playoff game at some point again before he retires, and the Reds have every opportunity to do so this year if they don't blow it.

We have a future hall of famer who can't get out of a funk batting .244 while milking the teams salary to the core. We are paying a starting pitching the 2nd highest on the team to have an ERA well above 5 and hasn't been able to do jack crap, and is completely untradable, we have a busted minor league system over years of terrible penny pinching picks and injuries, and taking chances on players with arm problems because the former owner wouldn't spend a dollar to get the team halfway decent. And now this year we have disgusting bullpen, after years of having an absolutely outstanding bullpen, this year is one of the worst ever in recent Reds history. Seriously if its within 2 or 3 games or less coming down to the last week and the Reds are leading, this is going to come to a head - the Reds have got to win. It's simply the frustration of this sagging franchise over the years coming out, or even worse not coming out - and not coming out to see the games or even care as has been the case this year. Fans have seen it before and everyone is just sitting waiting for the Reds to either collapse or succeed.

remdog
07-26-2006, 01:30 AM
Were you around to listen to Al Michaels annouce the Reds? I was and, of course, I've heard Marty over the years. IMO, Al was better and, simply because someone was at an event doesn't mean someone couldn't have done the job better.

BTW, Michaels has moved on to more than 30 years as a respected and honored broadcaster on the national sports scene rather than a cloistered curmudgeon in a small market. Just thought I'd throw that out for ya. :thumbup:

Rem

WVRedsFan
07-26-2006, 01:34 AM
Never has so much bandwidth been wasted discussing a radio announcer.

I like Marty and some of you don't. Case closed. discussing it ad nauseum will do nothing to change it. Just the same thing over and over.

Marty and his detractors always remind me of the late Dale Earnhardt. Some loved him and some hated him. More loved him than hated him. Only his death ended the controversy. Unbelievably, any discussion of Marty always includes Steve Stewart, a nice enough fellow who many think should replace Marty.

Not many here remember Waite Hoyt, the voice of the Reds for many years. Waite was a celebrity and an icon in Cincinnati, much like Marty (though totally different in style). Waite retired and was replaced by sidekick Claude Sullivan. It didn't work well. Nobody dismissed Claude, but he contracted throat cancer and wasn't around long and eventually died (sad). Anyway, that's what we have to look forward to. When you rplace an icon with "Joe Six Pack"--the guy who is competent, but is nothing special, it's bound to cause some raised eyebrows. If that's the way it is, that's the way it is. Not one person on this board has a say in this. Or at least I think not.

Funny, but the other night I was listening to Uecker on the Brewers broadcst and he had a contest naming all the characters on the Munsters and Andy Griffith. He missed many "balls and strikes," and I thought about all these discussions, shook my head and wondered if the Brewers folks give Bob as much hell as Marty.

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Never has so much bandwidth been wasted discussing a radio announcer.

I like Marty and some of you don't. Case closed. discussing it ad nauseum will do nothing to change it. Just the same thing over and over.

Marty and his detractors always remind me of the late Dale Earnhardt. Some loved him and some hated him. More loved him than hated him. Only his death ended the controversy. Unbelievably, any discussion of Marty always includes Steve Stewart, a nice enough fellow who many think should replace Marty.

Not many here remember Waite Hoyt, the voice of the Reds for many years. Waite was a celebrity and an icon in Cincinnati, much like Marty (though totally different in style). Waite retired and was replaced by sidekick Claude Sullivan. It didn't work well. Nobody dismissed Claude, but he contracted throat cancer and wasn't around long and eventually died (sad). Anyway, that's what we have to look forward to. When you rplace an icon with "Joe Six Pack"--the guy who is competent, but is nothing special, it's bound to cause some raised eyebrows. If that's the way it is, that's the way it is. Not one person on this board has a say in this. Or at least I think not.

Funny, but the other night I was listening to Uecker on the Brewers broadcst and he had a contest naming all the characters on the Munsters and Andy Griffith. He missed many "balls and strikes," and I thought about all these discussions, shook my head and wondered if the Brewers folks give Bob as much hell as Marty.

On this thought, let's end this discussion. If you don't like Marty, don't listen to him. If you do, then listen.

I hope that settles everything.

Ron Madden
07-26-2006, 03:15 AM

I'd say radio is the one and only medium available to many more fans than you think.

Radio is a godsend to every sightless fan of the game. Not everyone can simply turn off the radio and watch it on tv. Many fans listen while on the job or on the road.

Thousands of Reds Fans depend on the radio broadcast to paint the picture of the game. Marty once was an Artist. Lately he has been painting graffiti with a can of spray paint. ;)

MaineRed
07-26-2006, 06:37 AM

With this outlook, why did you even sign up for an account?

Some of you like Edwin, others don't. Should we put that subject to bed since we can't change it? How about Narron? Some of you hate him, but you can't change anything, so zip it.

This is a message board. I see it said enough to others, if you don't want to read this stuff, don't.

I have listened to Marty all year. There have been instances where he has called out listeners on their comments through e-mail. He has the right to do that. Why? Because THEY sent the comments to him, and he has the right to respond. That doesn't mean he is promoting his 'legendary status.' It means he's defending himself, which he has every god given right to do.

Why doesn't he respond by sending them back and email, then the rest of us don't have to witness Marty's lame attempt to one up the fan. He is the only sportcaster that I know who does this. The only one. Do you think he is the only one to get hate mail? If yes, what does that say? If, no, why don't others do it?

Why, because they are more mature than Marty. Much more mature. Marty's email act is ignorant and should of stopped a long time ago. We all have the right to make asses of ourselves. Marty sure takes advantage.

REDREAD
07-26-2006, 08:40 AM

He's an employee of the Reds, not WLW.

REDREAD
07-26-2006, 08:46 AM

Actually, Marty started riding Jr hard after that, trying to say anything that he could to discredit Jr.

Remember when Jr was playing with a hurt leg, and Marty rode him for not running hard enough on a ground ball?

What about his grudges that last for years with Showalter, LaRussa, etc.?

Marty is more sensitive than a 5 year old girl. He can't take it. That's why he gets so defensive on the emails.

REDREAD
07-26-2006, 08:52 AM
He's not one of the best ever....so he's in the Hall of Fame...? That's the biggest contradiction I have ever heard in my life.

Marty used to be one of the best ever. It's the last 10 years or so that he's really declined.

And the broadcasters' HOF is a popularity contest. If Joe lobbied and self-promoted himself more, he'd probably be in there too. It's a reward to broadcasters that have hung around a long time and made the right friends. In short, it really means nothing.

Ltlabner
07-26-2006, 08:58 AM

Oh Boy. You mean someone else dares to tarnish the sanctity of a baseball radio broadcast with non-baseball related stuff?

Let's all be clear hear. Marty's biggest "sin" is that he dares to express his opinion and that opinion does not jive with the baseball worldview of some here. This is the cause of much of the dislike of Marty. He doesn't fawn over Dunn, likes Castro as a player and does not discuss Moneyball adnausem on his broadcast. Becasue of this he shall be ripped to shreds. This is at the heart of a lot of the issues, IMO. I'm sure this will stir things up and uncur lenghty replys from some but I do wonder if Marty praised Dunn, ripped on RA/Castro/Clayton, bashed Narron's line ups, pushed for EE to start daily and constantly ripped on the "scrappy vets" whether we'd hear a peep out of some of Marty's non-fans.

I find it hillarous that some here cite Marty's harshness towards certian players as a knock against him. Yet those people are apparently comfortable with the constant stream of narron sucks, RA is the scourge of baseball and scrappy vets are the devil type posts here. I guess those players/manager are not worthy of protection in the eyes of some.

I can understand people not liking him because they feal him retaliating to listeners is unprofessional. I can also understand that people find some of the stuff (2nd inning tivia) silly and distracting. I agree with neither of these these positions but I can appreciate and respect them.

redsfanmia
07-26-2006, 09:37 AM
:deadhorse

registerthis
07-26-2006, 09:41 AM
I still listen to Marty, but then again my options are the FSN crew and the WLW boys so I quickly choose Marty and Steve (and Joe) over the FSN crew. Pretty much the only time I'll listen to FSN is when I don't have a choice at a sports bar or a friend's place, or when George Grande is in Cooperstown working on the HOF inductions.

Marty does a pretty darn good job when he's in a good mood, talking about the game and the Reds are playing well. Now all the above doesn't necessarily happen too frequently, but he's a joy to listen to when it does. Most of his annoying schtick I'm able to tune out and ignore since my options are limited to doing that or getting aggravated every game. He will still annoy me a little bit periodically, though, when he decides to beat the horse on a player or drift off away from the game repeatedly.

The second inning is also very interesting when Marty's joined in the booth by one of the local writers. Lancaster is outstanding, Fay's just an idiot, and when McCoy's in the booth it's almost like a family reunion of good ole boys.

I'm just quoting Cyclone's post here because it seems to have been the most common sensical post in this entire thread and it bears repeating here.

Eleven pages in and the fur is still flying. Good grief.

M2
07-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Marty is more sensitive than a 5 year old girl.

Hey, I've got a five-year-old daughter and she'd throw Marty into a hammerlock and then fish hook him.

Chip R
07-26-2006, 11:59 AM
:deadhorse

I agree. I think this topic has been done to death.