PDA

View Full Version : Bengals lock up Levi Jones

Matt700wlw
07-25-2006, 04:17 PM
6 year deal....$31 million deal...highest paid OL in franchise history.

Red Leader
07-25-2006, 04:18 PM
:beerme:

CTA513
07-25-2006, 04:20 PM
6 year deal....$31 million deal...highest paid OL in franchise history.

Its nice to see news about something good happening to the Bengals.

:thumbup:

LawFive
07-25-2006, 04:20 PM
wonder what Willie Anderson thinks? Levi's a good player, but the Bengals need to reward career accomplishments first. Willie stayed here thru the bad times and the Bengals should recognize that.

flyer85
07-25-2006, 04:21 PM
did they do it to keep him from gettin arrested? :D

Matt700wlw
07-25-2006, 04:22 PM
wonder what Willie Anderson thinks? Levi's a good player, but the Bengals need to reward career accomplishments first. Willie stayed here thru the bad times and the Bengals should recognize that.

They have.

He was previously the highest paid O-lineman before Levi

NJReds
You probably should avoid the term "lock up" in a thread about a Bengals player. ;)

CTA513

Im pretty sure Willie Anderson told the Bengals to take lock up the younger guys first.

KronoRed
07-25-2006, 04:23 PM
did they do it to keep him from gettin arrested? :D
Is their something in the contract about not going out..ever? :laugh:

markymark69
07-25-2006, 04:23 PM
They have.

He was previously the highest paid O-lineman before Levi

Exactly, Willie had his turn. It would be nice if Willie could re-up also, but I look for it to be Steinbach.

dabvu2498
07-25-2006, 04:24 PM
You probably should avoid the term "lock up" in a thread about a Bengals player. ;)
If it had said "Cincinnati locks up Levi Jones" I would have freaked.

OesterPoster
07-25-2006, 04:24 PM

No, you sign an OL with a very high ceiling to a long term contract before he gets too expensive. Willie himself has stated they need to get the young guys (Steinbach and Jones) signed first before they discuss a contract with him. How many years does Willie have left? I'd hate to see Willie go, since he stuck with the team through the horrible years...but it's a business. You have to sign players based on what's in your head, not your heart.

BuckWoody
07-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Huzzah! :jump:
Finally some good news!

Danny Serafini
07-25-2006, 04:38 PM
According to ESPN it's actually just over $40 million.

WVRed
07-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Im pretty sure Willie Anderson told the Bengals to take lock up the younger guys first.

My guess is Willie is the one gone. I don't think Marvin drafted Whitworth to back up Levi or Willie.

Matt700wlw
07-25-2006, 04:44 PM
According to ESPN it's actually just over $40 million.

It is, you're right.

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 04:45 PM
We're talking about a Bengals player being locked up, and we're not talking about jail???

Happy days are here again.

RedFanAlways1966
07-25-2006, 04:52 PM
And since we hear a lot about questionable draft picks (whether due to lack-of-talent or criminal behavior)...

I remember well that a lot of the "so-called experts" were screaming and hollering about wasting a 1st rounder on a guy like Levi Jones. How this was another KiJana or Akili type 1st-round pick. Another reason the Bengals are one of the worst franchises in NFL history. And so on and so forth...

Matt700wlw
07-25-2006, 04:53 PM
And since we hear a lot about questionable draft picks (whether due to lack-of-talent or criminal behavior)...

I remember well that a lot of the "so-called experts" were screaming and hollering about wasting a 1st rounder on a guy like Levi Jones. How this was another KiJana or Akili type 1st-round pick. Another reason the Bengals are one of the worst franchises in NFL history. And so on and so forth...

Shows what they know :D

ochre
07-25-2006, 05:38 PM
The weren't screaming that he was taken in the first round. They were screaming that he was taken way ahead of where he was slotted to go in the first round. They could have traded down 5-6 slots and picked up another pick and still have gotten Jones. That was the controversy.

KYRedsFan
07-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Great great news on the eve of camp. Now if we can just get Steinbach signed, Oline is sold for years.

remdog
07-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Good move by the Bengals! And Willie has been vocal about the team needing to sign the young guys first; he's absolutely a class act.

Hopefully this will set in motion the other OL signings and Willy gets rewarded with continous contracts until it's time to call it quits. At that point, hopefully, he signs on with the Bengals as a coach and works his way up in the organization.

Rem

Benihana
07-25-2006, 06:01 PM

Nope, sorry. This is called Barry Larkin logic. I prefer Bill Belicheck logic- do whats best for the team, loyalty can take a back seat. it's a business. Levi was clearly the most important and most valuable lineman going forward, and Steinbach is next. With all due respect to Big Willie (and I love what he has meant to the franchise), if he really wants to stay for the good times he can take less money to do so. He had his big payday already back in 2000.

WHO DEY

WMR
07-25-2006, 06:28 PM
This deal erases an entirely negative-feeling off-season into a general sense of confidence in Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown. Training camp is going to open up a lot of these jokers eyes. Haha. I can't wait to see the training camp Marvin puts these guys through this year.

BUTLER REDSFAN
07-25-2006, 06:42 PM
good for levi but levi please don't go out and celebrate tonight

GAC
07-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Right now - I wouldn't use the word "lock up". :lol:

Matt700wlw
07-25-2006, 08:05 PM
good for levi but levi please don't go out and celebrate tonight

Just don't get caught :D

BuckWoody
07-26-2006, 12:27 AM
More good stuff. Fox ranks the offensive lines. (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5794000)

Denver is #1 and then...your Cincinnati Bengals. :D

2. Cincinnati Bengals

The only line besides Denver's to rank in the top 10 in all four of Football Outsiders' O-line stats — Adjusted Line Yards, Power Success, Run Stuffs, and Adjusted Sack Rate. They gave up only 22 sacks, second in the league behind Indy. Why is this line so underrated? Well, can you name two of the five Cincinnati linemen?

Left tackle Levi Jones and right tackle Willie Anderson are the "marquee" guys here, as much as anyone in this group gets any recognition. Jones is good against both the run and the pass, but limiting Pittsburgh's Joey Porter to just half a sack in three matchups last year tells you that his specialty is blitz pickup. He's on the verge of joining that elite group of left tackles. Anderson went to his third straight Pro Bowl after the season, and the honors are deserved — the 11-year veteran is smart, tough and a total competitor who has played in 96 consecutive games. Guards Bobbie Williams (right) and Eric Steinbach (left) anchor the inside — Williams has only missed one snap in the last two seasons, and Steinbach was an AFC Pro Bowl alternate. Steinbach can play center and tackle as well. The starting center, veteran Rich Braham, may soon give way to 2005 fourth-rounder Eric Ghiaciuc.

From the standpoint of sheer athletic balance, this might be the most impressive line in the league right now. Perhaps the vox populi should pick up on what the NFL already knows?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-26-2006, 12:59 AM
Signed, sealed, ready to deliver
Wimbley says it's time to learn defense
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
Tony Grossi
Plain Dealer Reporter
Browns No. 1 draft pick Kamerion Wimbley felt personal pressure to avoid a contract dispute and to not miss any practice time at his first NFL training camp.

"I'm a rookie and I'm making a position change," Wimbley said Monday. "I need to get in and learn the defense more. There's still things I need to pick up, and if I would have held out it would have hindered my performance this rookie season."

Wimbley signed his contract Saturday. The deal is for a maximum of six years and $23.7 million, and includes $9.3 million in guaran

WVRed
07-26-2006, 06:23 AM
Signed, sealed, ready to deliver
Wimbley says it's time to learn defense
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
Tony Grossi
Plain Dealer Reporter
Browns No. 1 draft pick Kamerion Wimbley felt personal pressure to avoid a contract dispute and to not miss any practice time at his first NFL training camp.

"I'm a rookie and I'm making a position change," Wimbley said Monday. "I need to get in and learn the defense more. There's still things I need to pick up, and if I would have held out it would have hindered my performance this rookie season."

Wimbley signed his contract Saturday. The deal is for a maximum of six years and $23.7 million, and includes $9.3 million in guaran

:confused:

BuckWoody
07-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Signed, sealed, ready to deliver...
Feel free to start a Browns' thread...there's no rule against it. :)

GAC
07-26-2006, 08:16 PM
:confused:

Hey! There are Red fans who are Brown fans. ;)

Matt700wlw
07-26-2006, 08:45 PM

Sucks to be them :D :p: :evil:

WMR
07-26-2006, 09:20 PM

His point was that such info belongs far far away from a thread about Levi Jones.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-27-2006, 12:44 AM
His point was that such info belongs far far away from a thread about Levi Jones.

I disagree completely. The thread was Bengals lock up levi Jones. Which means they signed him to a contract. The Browns signed Wimbley to a contract, fits the bill if you ask me.

WVRed
07-27-2006, 06:23 AM
I disagree completely. The thread was Bengals lock up levi Jones. Which means they signed him to a contract. The Browns signed Wimbley to a contract, fits the bill if you ask me.

No, it fits more in the terms of "hi-jacking";).

Danny Serafini
07-27-2006, 09:26 AM
You want to talk Browns, go start a Browns thread. This isn't a general contract signing thread.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Who are the Browns?

Not the team that plays in Cleveland. No, they have no ties whatsoever to the Browns.

No, the Browns are in Baltimore and they are called the Ravens now.