PDA

View Full Version : What does today's 9th inning mean?

RedEye
07-25-2006, 11:00 PM
So... Narron brings in two unexpected relievers in the 9th today: Coffey and then Bray. Guardado was warming up, I believe, but never came in. To my mind this means one of three things, and possibly some combination of them:

1) Narron is losing his mind.

2) Narron wanted to give Eddie some rest.

3) Narron wanted to give Coffey and then Bray, in that order, some experience in late-inning, pressure situations. He knows that the NL might figure out Eddie the second time around, and wants a back-up plan.

Any thoughts? What do you think he's up to?

ThornWithin81
07-25-2006, 11:02 PM
The only logical conclusion is that something was wrong with Eddie. You don't forego your closer who's been flawless, when he has to be rested, unless there's something holding him back.

Now, that's the only LOGICAL conclusion. The other conclusion is...well, its Narron.

keeganbrick
07-25-2006, 11:02 PM
I think he is up to what he always is, not knowing how to manage a bullpen.

RedEye
07-25-2006, 11:03 PM
So that's one vote for #1 and one vote for #2. Any more takers?

smith288
07-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Trade just went down?

TheBigLebowski
He had his head between his legs.

I truly believe we might have seen Aurilia warming up in the pen if he wasn't already used.

Seriously, I have no idea.

wojo1025
I heard rumblings from Seattle fans that Eddie had a torn in his shoulder, which was the reason for his poor performance early in the season. Maybe, in an attempt to impress his new team and fans, he threw a little too hard and reinjured himself.

I would like to think the Reds would've put him through a thorough physical before trading for him, but he could've hurt himself again pitching in a pressure situation 3 out of 4 days. Who knows?!

I thought it was interesting that when the announcer was trying to figure it out he said "is he hurt, tired ,TRADED"?
I thought the fact that he even said traded was a little strange.

Gandalf the Red
07-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Trade just went down?

Dontrelle Willis, come on down! :D

somethingtony
All i can think of is...

A)
-Trying to Showcase Coffey????
-Bray future closer?

B) Narron is an Idiot....

texasdave
if (and i dont really believe this for a second) but if narron has a plan to gently ease coffey back into the closer's role what better time than tonight? with no berkman and no ensberg this astro lineup is amenic to say the least.

howyoufreelin
07-25-2006, 11:07 PM
So... Narron brings in two unexpected relievers in the 9th today: Coffey and then Bray. Guardado was warming up, I believe, but never came in. To my mind this means one of three things, and possibly some combination of them:

1) Narron is losing his mind.

2) Narron wanted to give Eddie some rest.

3) Narron wanted to give Coffey and then Bray, in that order, some experience in late-inning, pressure situations. He knows that the NL might figure out Eddie the second time around, and wants a back-up plan.

Any thoughts? What do you think he's up to?

Eddie wasn't even warming up, I don't believe. When the showed the Reds bullpen when Coffey gave up the second hit it was Majewski and Bray warming up. If Eddie is hurt, this would be a huge blow to this bullpen, IMO. If not, Narron is just an idiot.

ThornWithin81
07-25-2006, 11:09 PM
All i can think of is...

A)
-Bray future closer?

If you're trying to showcase Coffey, you certainly don't do it in a Save situation. That's the anti-showcase with Todd.

CTA513
07-25-2006, 11:09 PM
He might have tweeked something when warming up or have a stiff back.
Im sure someone will ask Narron about it when they interview him after the game.

Matt700wlw
07-25-2006, 11:10 PM
The 9th inning shows me the Reds got a good pickup in Bill Bray.

Young, quality reliever.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Yeah, all I can think of, is that Eddie got injured while warming up.

-or-

Narron is stupid.

ThornWithin81
07-25-2006, 11:11 PM
The 9th inning tells me the Bill Bray is a young, quality relief pitcher with good stuff.

He only faced one batter, and the batter made decent contact.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

howyoufreelin
07-25-2006, 11:12 PM
The 9th inning tells me the Bill Bray is a young, quality relief pitcher with good stuff.

I really liked his composure coming into that situation. I figured he'd be intimidated and try to overthrow, because he is so young, but he kept his cool and had terrific control. He is ANTI-Todd Coffey. Future Closer anyone?

Hey Meat
07-25-2006, 11:12 PM
All i can think of is...

A)
-Bray future closer?

At first I thought he was trying to showcase Coffey, but when he brought in Bray I was at a loss.

edabbs44
07-25-2006, 11:13 PM

Yeah, Bruntlett isn't exactly PooHoles.

ThornWithin81
07-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Yeah, all I can think of, is that Eddie got injured while warming up.

-or-

Narron is stupid.

You're forgetting:

Eddie got injured while warming up, AND Narron is Stupid. :D

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 11:14 PM

He popped out to center. Shallow center may I add.

You're right about one thing. He did only face one batter. ;)

BTW, listening to 700wlw right now. Steve Stewart went to the clubhouse and questioned Narron on the pitching moves in the 9th, and he said 'Manager's decision.' Thought that was rather weird....

KoryMac5
07-25-2006, 11:16 PM
Jerry has said managers decision so maybe Eddie had some stiffness in his shoulder or Narron is giving him the Edwin treatment.

Gandalf the Red
07-25-2006, 11:17 PM
...or Narron is giving him the Edwin treatment.

Then wouldn't he have brought in Aurilia or Castro to close?

redsfan30
07-25-2006, 11:20 PM
He popped out to center. Shallow center may I add.

You're right about one thing. He did only face one batter. ;)

BTW, listening to 700wlw right now. Steve Stewart went to the clubhouse and questioned Narron on the pitching moves in the 9th, and he said 'Manager's decision.' Thought that was rather weird....
Is that a direct quote from Narron, or paraphrasing from Stewart? If that is a direct quote, that's very interesting.

Rob Dicken
07-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Is that a direct quote from Narron, or paraphrasing from Stewart? If that is a direct quote, that's very interesting.

From my understanding, that's all that was said before Narron walked away. He didn't have time to interview, apprently....

Gandalf the Red
07-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Maybe Eddie's been traded to Baseball Tonight for Harold Reynolds.

Tom Servo
07-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Scrappy vet who plays great D. Right up Jerry's alley.

RedsManRick
07-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Here's a thought. You're up two runs with nobody on in the 9th inning. Even the worst pitcher in the majors will get the save in that situation more often than not. Let's get the other guys some work and let Eddie come in should we need him. As others have said. Eddie isn't going to fool anybody. This was a "safe" save situation and he used it to show confidence in some guys. It worked.

goreds2
07-25-2006, 11:33 PM
From my understanding, that's all that was said before Narron walked away. He didn't have time to interview, apprently....

Narron had to get to his office before a MYSTERY guest showed up. :eek:

NICE WIN THOUGH.

KYRed
07-25-2006, 11:33 PM

Quite possible. Reynolds looked like he could still "bring it" in the All-Star Celebrity game in Pittsburgh. :thumbup:

keeganbrick
07-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Here's a thought. You're up two runs with nobody on in the 9th inning. Even the worst pitcher in the majors will get the save in that situation more often than not. Let's get the other guys some work and let Eddie come in should we need him. As others have said. Eddie isn't going to fool anybody. This was a "safe" save situation and he used it to show confidence in some guys. It worked.
Are you being sarcastic? Brad Lidge, Danny Graves, David Weathers, Todd Coffey, Trevor Hoffman. Just off the top of my head I believe all of them have had a BS like that recently.

Nugget
07-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Judging from the excerpt posted Steve Phillips didn't ask why EG didn't pitch, he asked why Coffey and Bray pitched. Narron was probably just answering that question rather than answering a question that wasn't asked but was what everyone wanted to know.

keeganbrick
07-25-2006, 11:47 PM
Furball - "Eddie complaining of arm stiffness".

Falls City Beer
07-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Narron had to get to his office before a MYSTERY guest showed up. :eek:

It was Rich with a rose in his teeth.

mbgrayson
07-26-2006, 12:01 AM
I think Eddie might be hurt. They may not want to say to let Houston or others know. Keep it quiet for advantage in matchups or in another trade(!?)

Or maybe Jerry doesn't like people named Eddie (or Edwin).....

Big Klu
07-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Occam's razor. Guardado did not pitch simply because he was not available--most likely because of some physical ailment.

KronoRed
07-26-2006, 12:06 AM
It was Rich with a rose in his teeth.
...must...not...imagine...ARRRRRRRRRRR :runawaycr

keeganbrick
07-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Courtesy of TeamBoone

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Guardado was out with forearm stiffness

HOUSTON -- Eddie Guardado was unavailable tonight due to forearm stiffness. It flared up on him in his last appearance Saturday, he tested it out this afternoon and didn't feel right, so they gave him a night off.

He said he'll be back and available tomorrow night.

"It was a little stiff the last outing I had, actually – just never got loose," he said. "To be honest with you, it takes a lot for me to be out of a game, I’ll tell you that. I’d rather be out there pitching than watching here, because your heart beats faster. They just gave me the day off today, which is fine, and tomorrow I’ll be ready to go out there."

posted by Marc at 11:32 PM

howyoufreelin
07-26-2006, 12:12 AM
...must...not...imagine...ARRRRRRRRRRR :runawaycr

He forgot to mention the lingerie! :laugh:

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-26-2006, 01:24 AM

Have you even been watching the games since the trade?

redsrule2500
07-26-2006, 04:05 AM
I knew something was messed up when that happened.

Oh well, it worked out just fine. Let's just hope that the 'stifness' is just that and won't hold him back any longer!!

redsmetz
07-26-2006, 05:15 AM
I knew something was messed up when that happened.

Oh well, it worked out just fine. Let's just hope that the 'stifness' is just that and won't hold him back any longer!!

He sounded like it's nothing huge and would be available the next time out. Glad to see Bray succeed in a clear pressure situation. Even if the Astros have an anemic offense right now, they're still big leaguers and any one of them was capable of putting them right back in the game (or winning it).

REDREAD
07-26-2006, 09:19 AM
All i can think of is...

A)

I don't see Coffey being traded. He's too valuable in a setup role.
Plus, he's young and Wayne seems to put a high premium on that.

alexad
07-26-2006, 09:27 AM
All I know is I was going totally nuts when Eddie did not come into the game. How in the world did the announcers not have a clue he was stiff on Saturday and not know the information for tonights game.

I mean Narron looks like he is in the twilight zone sometimes, but it really makes you look crazy when the announcers do not have a clue what you are doing and start to question where is the closer in this situation. At least let them know so when the game gets to the 9th, they are not questioning you like every Reds fan in the world was doing last night.

registerthis
07-26-2006, 09:31 AM
Courtesy of TeamBoone

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Guardado was out with forearm stiffness

HOUSTON -- Eddie Guardado was unavailable tonight due to forearm stiffness. It flared up on him in his last appearance Saturday, he tested it out this afternoon and didn't feel right, so they gave him a night off.

He said he'll be back and available tomorrow night.

"It was a little stiff the last outing I had, actually – just never got loose," he said. "To be honest with you, it takes a lot for me to be out of a game, I’ll tell you that. I’d rather be out there pitching than watching here, because your heart beats faster. They just gave me the day off today, which is fine, and tomorrow I’ll be ready to go out there."

posted by Marc at 11:32 PM

In other words, we should expect Eddie to be place don the 15 day DL, retroactive to Sunday?

Forgive me, I've just been trained to expect the worst.

Unassisted
07-26-2006, 09:50 AM
This game showed me that it's nice to have options you can trust when Plan A isn't available. :thumbup:

ThornWithin81
07-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Have you even been watching the games since the trade?

Yes, I have.

And although Bray has been very good, he hasn't been very good in the 9th on multiple occasions. As we've seen with Todd Coffey, just because you can pitch well in the seventh or eigth, doesn't mean you're going to be a save machine.

Bray made one out last night. One. Granted, it was in a clutch situation, but it was against Eric Bruntlett. Had he come in and taken out an All-Star caliber player, then, I'd be excited. As is, he did a good job, but I don't think we should read too much into it. Simple as that.

Roy Tucker
07-26-2006, 10:25 AM
I figured Guardado was hurt in some way. I didn't think Jerry would just go off the deep end for no good reason.

Actually, I thought it was a good decision on Narron's part to pull Coffey after the 2-out hits.

Narron's pattern in the past has been to annoint someone a closer, hand them the ball, and then let them pitch the 9th come hell or high water. The first hit was just an unlucky bloop but the second was a line shot. Given Coffey's recent patterns, I fully expected a gapper from the next guy up to tie the game. I was truly surprised to see Narron pull him and go with Bray.