PDA

View Full Version : Encarnacion eager for more time (7/25)

TeamBoone
07-25-2006, 11:32 PM
07/25/2006 8:40 PM ET

Notes: Encarnacion eager for more time
Third baseman on the bench more since returning from DL
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- In recent days and weeks, Internet bloggers have taken to posting "Free Edwin Encarnacion" messages.
Some fan blogs have even displayed a picture of the Reds third baseman behind bars. Many more fans have wondered why Encarnacion hasn't played more lately.

But no one has wondered more than Encarnacion himself.

"Yeah, it's tough. I don't know what's going on," Encarnacion said. "The thing is, when they give me an opportunity to play, I'll try to do my job and try to do the best I can. That's the best thing that can happen for me right now."

To that end, Encarnacion has held up his end of the bargain offensively. He entered Tuesday with a five-game hitting streak and batting .478 (11-for-23) with one homer and five RBIs over the last eight games he's played since he returned from the disabled list on July 6.

However, it was Rich Aurilia and his equally torrid bat that started again for Cincinnati on Tuesday. Aurilia, whose 14-game hitting streak ended Saturday as a pinch-hitter, has manned the hot corner for most of July. Encarnacion started three straight games, Thursday through Saturday.

Until he sprained his left ankle in early June, Encarnacion played every day. Manager Jerry Narron has never explained why the 23-year-old's playing time decreased, but he has made it clear all season he prefers solid defense. Encarnacion has committed a club-high 15 errors this season. That included one in his first game back from the DL, but none since. Aurilia has committed six errors combined at four positions.

"This is the first time that I have to come to the ballpark and check the lineup to see if I'm playing at all," said Encarnacion, who is batting .293 with seven homers and 41 RBIs this season. "The only thing I want is to win games. If we win games, everything will be all right."

Narron has been trying to find ways to keep the steady bats of Aurilia, Encarnacion and first baseman Scott Hatteberg in the lineup. Aurilia has played mostly third or first base this season, but he could shift to spot start in one of the middle infield spots.

"There's a chance of it," Narron said. "I came close to doing it Sunday. With [Juan] Castro and [Royce] Clayton, it's tough to do. I want to play one of them at short."

Brandon Phillips has been a fixture at second base, and Narron has been reluctant to rest his infield's best glove. But the skipper plans to make more use of Encarnacion.

"Eddie will definitely play tomorrow [against Houston lefty Andy Pettitte]," Narron said. "He'll definitely play either Thursday here or Friday in Milwaukee, maybe both."

Ross ready? David Ross (abdominal strain) caught six innings and went 1-for-3 with two RBIs in Monday's rehabilitation assignment game with Double-A Chattanooga. Ross was scheduled to catch nine innings in a final test Tuesday. If all goes well, he'll likely come off the 15-day DL and rejoin the Reds in time for Wednesday's game, when a roster move will be pending.

The timing of Ross' return would be good for Wednesday's starting pitcher, Bronson Arroyo. Ross has caught 18 of Arroyo's 21 starts, including every game before he was hurt.

Catching up: Reliever Esteban Yan, who was designated for assignment on July 14, was released by the Reds on Monday and now is a free agent.

Chattanooga hitting coach Jamie Dismuke was named a coach for Phoenix in the Arizona Fall League. The AFL season begins Oct. 10.

Pitcher Carlos Fajardo, a member of the Reds' Venezuelan Summer League club, was suspended for 50 games for a first-time violation of the Major Leagues' performance-enhancing drug policy.

Coming up: Arroyo (9-6, 2.92 ERA) will make his seventh attempt at win No. 10 against Pettitte (8-10, 5.08 ERA) on Wednesday at 8:05 p.m. ET.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060725&content_id=1574747&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

howyoufreelin
07-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Join the Free Edwin Club!

I'm glad it sounds like he has having a good attitude about this though. It must be tough knowing he should be playing everyday and that he is one of the best hitters on the team, yet he keeps getting shut down by the man.

Edd Roush
07-25-2006, 11:36 PM
"There's a chance of it," Narron said. "I came close to doing it Sunday. With [Juan] Castro and [Royce] Clayton, it's tough to do. I want to play one of them at short."

[/url]

Egad, Jerry Narron definately just said that Royce Clayton and Juan Castro are the reasons that EdE isn't playing. :bang:

Is it really that hard to manage a professional baseball team?

redsupport
07-25-2006, 11:37 PM
I guess that Clayton and Castro know how to play the game and are "scrappy." Kind of like Jimmy Stewart and Junior Kennedy or even Wade Rowdon or Tom Runnels

TeamBoone
07-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Egad, Jerry Narron definately just said that Royce Clayton and Juan Castro are the reasons that EdE isn't playing. :bang:

Is it really that hard to manage a professional baseball team?

For some reason, he always thinks the guys on the bench MUST get playing time, though I guess this doesn't apply to Clayton.

Anywho, for most teams... good teams... the bench guys are just that, bench guys, who may or may not get starts on ANY kind of consistent basis (usually not, at least not when you're in the race).

edabbs44
07-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Wayne should deal Clayton and Castro behind Jerry's back just so he can't play them.

Edd Roush
07-25-2006, 11:44 PM
For some reason, he always thinks the guys on the bench MUST get playing time, though I guess this doesn't apply to Clayton.

Anywho, for most teams... good teams... the bench guys are just that, bench guys, who may or may not get starts on ANY kind of consistent basis (usually not, at least not when you're in the race).

I understand TB, but I simply can't fathom how your line-up is struggling and you leave one of your best bats on the bench.

BTW, I am really glad Royce Clayton is playing way over his head, but EdE has to be in there over him.

Narron has got to find a way to get young EdE enough at-bats. Veterans like Clayton and Aurillia are more experienced and could be contributors off the bench than EdE. EdE needs to get his reps.

EKURed
07-25-2006, 11:49 PM
You know, the sad thing is I'm happy when a left hander is on the mound, but unfortunately that means Hatteberg sits and I really think he is very good. Aurilia is pretty good, don't get me wrong, but he is simply not good enough where the lineup adjusts around him. Encarnacion must play. I was sure after Aurilia's dull effort on Sunday that EE would play tonight...WRONG. At least the Reds won.

TeamBoone
07-25-2006, 11:49 PM
I understand TB, but I simply can't fathom how your line-up is struggling and you leave one of your best bats on the bench.

BTW, I am really glad Royce Clayton is playing way over his head, but EdE has to be in there over him.

Narron has got to find a way to get young EdE enough at-bats. Veterans like Clayton and Aurillia are more experienced and could be contributors off the bench than EdE. EdE needs to get his reps.

I think you misread my post or I was unclear. I definitely agree with you and was not in any way trying to stick up for JN on this one.

By "not applying to Clayton", I meant he's apparently not a bench guy but rather the starting shortstop (I guess).

fisch11
07-26-2006, 12:16 AM
Preface: I've backed Jerry on everything except this. Ok, good to see EE back against Pettitte tomorrow. And he might get a couple of games this weekend against the Brewers. This I don't get: Jerry confirms that he is thinking of playing Rich in the middle infield but he doesn't want to take Phillips out.....and the kicker....he wants Clayton and Castro out there. ????? It's pretty simple to everybody except Jerry apparantly. EE at 3rd, Phillips at 2nd, Hatteberg/Aurilia platoon 1st, Clayton/Castro/Aurilia platoon SS. Let EE play 3rd everyday to improve his defense (and his hard work with Bucky Dent everyday). Alternate Rich and Hatty at first with pitching matchups and to rest Hatty. Or simply, play a former SS in Rich Aurilia AT SS! This improves your offensive production over Clayton and Castro (even though they've been hitting good in Reds uniforms). It's so simple to give Aurilia, Hatty, and EE the playing time w/out screwing EE over. I mean we even have a thread on Rich at SS. It's a good problem to have all three of them hitting well, so why not use all 3 at the same time by using Rich at SS. If necessary, for crying out loud put BP at SS and play Rich at 2B. Too simple to me I guess.

Blue
07-26-2006, 12:51 AM
"Eddie will definitely play tomorrow [against Houston lefty Andy Pettitte]," Narron said. "He'll definitely play either Thursday here or Friday in Milwaukee, maybe both."

This can either be translated as:

"Edwin will start tomorrow, but he better play well, or its back to the bench."

or

"I have no idea what I'm going to do when I fill out the lineup cards. I just make it up as I go."

GOREDSGO32
07-26-2006, 12:58 AM
In all due respect, Clayton and Casto have been playing pretty good. You wanna set someone, how about Junior, he's been dragging the whole lineup down. Thing is, we don't have any OF'ers now, after before the season having a big logjam.

remdog
07-26-2006, 01:17 AM
Geez, the more Jerry opens his mouth the more I regret his contract extention. :angry:

Rem

TeamBoone
07-26-2006, 01:52 AM
In all due respect, Clayton and Casto have been playing pretty good. You wanna set someone, how about Junior, he's been dragging the whole lineup down. Thing is, we don't have any OF'ers now, after before the season having a big logjam.

Whether or not Jr sits does not affect EE's playing time.

vic715
07-26-2006, 02:56 AM
I like EE as much as anyone on here and want him to develope and be in the lineup too. But not at the expense of winning the division or the wildcard.The infield defense is pretty good right now that you don't have EE and Lopez manning the left side of the infield.Rich is a wholelot better glove and pretty much as good a hitter right now.I don't think he has the range of Castro or Clayton so I don't want him at SS.That does kind of leave EE a role player for now but while the Reds are winning I'm leaving Aurilia in there.
I remember a Game in Houston at the Astrodome a few years back that Eric Davis was 0-4 and struckout four times and was on the star of the game show. He threw out the tying run at home and made two outstanding catches. My point is defense wins games too and the leftside of the infield has been weak and if Narron thinks that having Aurilia out there at 3rd is best for the team then I'm all for it.Ofcourse Now I know I've left myself wide open to get smacked about Griffeys Defense in center.
just an opinion.

redsmetz
07-26-2006, 06:25 AM

This can either be translated as:

"Edwin will start tomorrow, but he better play well, or its back to the bench."

or

"I have no idea what I'm going to do when I fill out the lineup cards. I just make it up as I go."

This is an absurd conclusion, to be honest. I don't fully understand Narron's reasons for not playing EE, but I read nothing there that indicated that he'd be on the bench if he didn't play well. I think there can be some additional juggling to get EE more playing time (e.g. Phillips could probably use a breather there somewhere, slide Aurilia into his slot one day).

As someone said this its great to have some depth (and I disagree with those who believe we're trotting dogs out there most days), but I'd be interested in seeing with Encarnacion can do in a full season. I just noticed yesterday one pundit picked him for Rookie of the Year this season. I'm guessing that's by the wayside.

redsupport
07-26-2006, 07:26 AM
bad griffey cant sit

boognish
07-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Not to beat the proverbial dead horse here, but what baffles me about the situation with EE is that Narron seemingly has misidentified which of the two is a platoon player:

EE

vs. RHP (160 PA) .296/.369/.493 1 GIDP
vs. LHP (81 PA) .288/.420/.530 1 GIDP

RA

vs. RHP (172 PA) .242/.294/.369 6 GIDP
vs. LHP (108 PA) .340/.407/.691 1 GIDP

Those on this board know these numbers to be self-evident, but considering Aurilia's pronounced platoon splits, how many runs is Narron costing the Reds by favoring "solid defense?" It is indiputable that EE has made a high number of errors, but the added offense he brings over Aurilia vs RHP more than compensates for the potential extra out. In my opinion, EE gets to balls that Aurilia does not (there are metrics that measure this, but most are slightly flawed in some way...the real issue is the offense the Reds are throwing away), so the solid defense Narron seeks may not be preventing any runs at all...and he is plugging a .663 OPS into the cleanup spot almost every day against RHP, while an .862 mark in that category sees little action after taking extra infield.

Aurilia is a useful part of the team, but the way Narron is handling this situation is extremely frustrating. At least it isn't currently costing the Reds wins, but who is to say that trend continues?

RedFanAlways1966
07-26-2006, 07:58 AM
I like EE as much as anyone on here and want him to develope and be in the lineup too. But not at the expense of winning the division or the wildcard.The infield defense is pretty good right now that you don't have EE and Lopez manning the left side of the infield.

Sometimes it seems like defense is not a part of the game to some. It is just some non-important thing that should not be mentioned when discussing starting lineups. Hitting, hitting, hitting. I like to think that there are 3 important (perhaps not equal in importance either) parts of baseball... offense, defense and pitching.

REDS Errors/Game by Month
Apr: 0.96
May: 0.86
June: 0.63
July: 0.55

Something is getting better. For some reason it has gotten better in July. And it leads me to ask... who were the two biggest contributors to errors on the REDS team?