PDA

View Full Version : Rumors plentiful near the deadline (USAToday)

dabvu2498
07-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Rumors are plentiful near trade deadline
Updated 7/26/2006 2:39 AM ET
By Bob Nightengale, USA TODAY
Detroit Tigers general manager David Dombrowski simply laughed, knowing there was little substance to the trade report but realizing it's simply the nature of business this time of year.
The latest trade rumor had the Chicago White Sox on the brink of acquiring slugger Alfonso Soriano from the Washington Nationals, the same player the Tigers have targeted.

The White Sox vehemently denied they were close. The Tigers, in fact, are still talking to the Nationals. And when Dombrowski awoke Tuesday morning, Soriano hadn't gone anywhere.

"It's amazing the stuff you hear this time of year," Dombrowski said. "I generally don't believe what I read and hear. I read so many things about us that I know that are inaccurate, I take it for granted things about other teams are wrong too.

"I've never understood what the benefit is of saying what you're trying to achieve, anyway. If you play poker, you don't want to show everybody your cards, do you?"

Yet when division rivals such as the White Sox and Tigers seek the same player in trade talks, the juicier the rumors and higher the stakes. To complicate matters, many division contenders are seeking the same player these days.

Milwaukee Brewers general manager Doug Melvin, who is listening to offers for Carlos Lee, said rivals from various divisions have expressed interest in the power-hitting outfielder.

Three of the top teams in the NL West — the San Francisco Giants, San Diego Padres and Los Angeles Dodgers — have had talks with the Chicago Cubs about starter Greg Maddux.

"I'm sure when that news got out about Soriano," Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said, "it caught the attention of the Tigers and Twins. It might be a case where all three of those teams just hope that he goes to the Angels. I wouldn't put it past some of my counterparts to slip a trade rumor out there just to raise the stakes.

"A few clubs have surprised me calling for Carlos (Lee). I'm not sure if they're interested, but they're in the same division and want to make sure that if somebody else gets him, they're paying a steeper price."

Said Dombrowski: "You keep a close eye on what everybody is doing. You don't want to see teams getting better that you're competing against, but you have to determine what value you're going to pay for someone and don't overpay."

John Schuerholz, vice president and general manager of the Atlanta Braves who suddenly finds his team in the wild-card race, said he tries not to get preoccupied with the competition. Not this year. Not when 23 teams entered Tuesday night within five games of the division or wild-card lead.

"I've never seen anything like it," Schuerholz said. "There are so many teams in the race, you can't worry about everyone, and I can't control what the 29 other clubs do.

"Our game is so public now. So much information is shared and spread. And once it hits the airwaves, it takes on a life of its own. I'm from the old school. I'm not into text messaging or blogging or learning baseball from the Internet. We just don't operate that way. The less people know what we're thinking internally, the better we are.

"I'm going to do what we've done in the past, keep my blinders on and do what's best for the Braves."

Find this article at:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2006-07-26-trade-rumors_x.htm

Sidebar on the same article:

With five days remaining to the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline, USA TODAY attempts to lend clarity to baseball's trade market:

The Los Angeles Dodgers are still in the hunt for Milwaukee Brewers left fielder Carlos Lee, according to a Brewers executive. Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said he will wait at least until their day off Thursday before strongly considering whether they will deal Lee."Unless some club gave me a hellacious offer," he said.

The Seattle Mariners have told teams third baseman Adrian Beltre is available, according to two GMs.

Washington Nationals GM Jim Bowden said he talked to 27 teams about Nationals players Tuesday, although he declined to discuss the status of talks involving slugger Alfonso Soriano.

Chicago White Sox GM Kenny Williams reiterated he won't trade pitcher Brandon McCarthy in a deal for Soriano and said he is also reluctant to include prospects such as third baseman Josh Fields, pitcher Lance Broadway or outfielder Ryan Sweeney in any trades.

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays are not close to trading shortstop and free-agent-to-be Julio Lugo, GM Andrew Friedman said.

The Houston Astros are shopping third baseman Morgan Ensberg, a National League GM said, but they have told teams Ensberg isn't close to returning to the field because of a sore shoulder.

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 10:33 AM
I've been curious about this. I know a player can't be traded while on the DL, like Ensberg, but could a team (the Astros) activate him from the DL, trade him, and then the team that acquires him (the Padres, most likely) immediately put him on the DL again?

Wasn't sure if there was a way around this to where you actually could trade a player on the DL.

Danny Serafini
07-26-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm pretty sure not trading a player on the DL isn't a rule, just a professional courtesy. It's like one of those unwritten rules. With the trade deadline forcing the issue I would imagine it's not as big a deal.

tripleaaaron
07-26-2006, 11:43 AM
what happened to ensberg anyway? 4th in the MVP voting and now the weak offensive 'stros want to get rid of him? I thought last season may be somewhat of a hiccup but not this much of a drop in value

Johnny Footstool
07-26-2006, 11:58 AM
"I'm sure when that news got out about Soriano," Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said, "it caught the attention of the Tigers and Twins. It might be a case where all three of those teams just hope that he goes to the Angels. I wouldn't put it past some of my counterparts to slip a trade rumor out there just to raise the stakes.

"A few clubs have surprised me calling for Carlos (Lee). I'm not sure if they're interested, but they're in the same division and want to make sure that if somebody else gets him, they're paying a steeper price."

Hilarious! Melvin makes a remark about other GMs (clearly he means Bowden) starting rumors to drive up the price, then in the next paragraph, he does *exactly the same thing*.

what happened to ensberg anyway? 4th in the MVP voting and now the weak offensive 'stros want to get rid of him? I thought last season may be somewhat of a hiccup but not this much of a drop in value

He hurt his shoulder pretty badly a month or two ago, and it affected his swing. Funny, his OPS is still nearly .900, even after a miserable June and July.

Jr's Boy
07-26-2006, 12:07 PM
It would be nice to have Lugo at short stop,but pitching is first and foremost.

westofyou
07-26-2006, 12:08 PM
I know a player can't be traded while on the DL,

That's not true a player can be traded while on the DL.

Sometimes "Player to be named later" is used to trade players on the Disabled List, since it can be embarrassing for a club to trade for a guy who's on the DL.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

Red Leader
07-26-2006, 12:09 PM
That's not true a player can be traded while on the DL.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

Thanks for clearing that up. That's funny, I had always heard that a player COULD NOT be traded while on the DL, and never argued it, or challenged it, just accepted it as fact. Just goes to show can't take everything you hear as fact.

Jpup
07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Hilarious! Melvin makes a remark about other GMs (clearly he means Bowden) starting rumors to drive up the price, then in the next paragraph, he does *exactly the same thing*..

clearly he means Kenny Williams.

Reds/Flyers Fan
07-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Giants, Padres and Dodgers interested in Greg Maddux but not us? Curious.

puca
07-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Why do you think he means Kenny Williams...the Nationals are the ones that would benefit by leaking the Soriano rumors.

And I think Melvin is actually commenting on the practice of floating out the names of players being discussed, which is not at all what he was doing.

REDREAD
07-26-2006, 01:33 PM
I've been curious about this. I know a player can't be traded while on the DL, like Ensberg, but could a team (the Astros) activate him from the DL, trade him, and then the team that acquires him (the Padres, most likely) immediately put him on the DL again?

Wasn't sure if there was a way around this to where you actually could trade a player on the DL.

I've seen trades where they make a guy like Ensberg a Player to be named and then complete the trade when he leaves the DL.

toledodan
07-26-2006, 01:37 PM
I'm pretty sure not trading a player on the DL isn't a rule, just a professional courtesy. It's like one of those unwritten rules. With the trade deadline forcing the issue I would imagine it's not as big a deal.

reggie jefferson says hello.:wave:

markymark69
07-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Giants, Padres and Dodgers interested in Greg Maddux but not us? Curious.

Just a note on Maddux, there is a lot of good that could come of him coming to the Reds until you realize that he's 3-11 with an ERA over six since the end of April.

BigRed
07-26-2006, 08:46 PM
True, but don't you think Maddux could be our 5th starter with his experience. I think that the old man could be fired up to pitch for a contender.

cinredsfan2000
07-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Just a note on Maddux, there is a lot of good that could come of him coming to the Reds until you realize that he's 3-11 with an ERA over six since the end of April.
That and that record came from pitching for the cubs. Im sure it couldve been a little better had he pitched for the reds all season right ??:confused: