PDA

View Full Version : Mays DFAd, Ross Activated

timmario66
07-26-2006, 04:17 PM
per Lance on 1530 Homer.

Let the celebrations begin.:beerme:

cincy jacket
07-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Happy Days are here again!!!!:thumbup: Who starts Saturday now though?

Tom Servo
I literally jumped up from my computer seat and danced around the room when I read this. :party: :party: :party:

minus5
per Lance on 1530 Homer.

Let the celebrations begin.:beerme:

And there was much rejoycing :jump:

RedsNeck
07-26-2006, 04:20 PM
:D I haven't been this happy to see someone go since JiMAh Haynes was DFA'd.

RedlegJunior
07-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Either a trade is on the horizon or I see Gosling making the start to stay on his schedule to pitch sat. in (AAA)

markymark69
07-26-2006, 04:24 PM
It will be interesting to see what transpires. I don't know if it's wishful thinking, but I think a trade is coming.

CaiGuy
07-26-2006, 04:24 PM
now, the big question: Who takes his place in the rotation. Will Wayne give Gosling or Germano a call or trade for a starter. It really doesn't matter what happens, this team is instantly better now that Mays is gone.

flyer85
07-26-2006, 04:25 PM
As long as it isn't Mays ... who cares.

I will wallow in my being wrong. snort, snort.

fielder's choice
07-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Whooooooooooooooooooooo :beerme:

kaldaniels
07-26-2006, 04:28 PM
:beerme:

TRF
07-26-2006, 04:30 PM
:D I haven't been this happy to see someone go since JiMAh Haynes was DFA'd.

At least Haynes pitched well as a Red in 2003. I'd take Haynes 2003 over anything Milto/Mays/Claussen has done while wearing the wishbone C.

cincy09
07-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Yipeee

redsupport
07-26-2006, 04:35 PM
elation

flyer85
07-26-2006, 04:37 PM
I think that the pitcher for Saturday may likely come via a trade. I say that because they have known that Mays was awful for a number of weeks, if they really wanted to replace him with Germano/Gosling/Dumatrait they would have already done that. There was nothing that Mays did last Saturday that was a surprise, he pitched that game because they didn't like their AAA options any better. I doubt that has changed since last Saturday.

Blue
07-26-2006, 04:43 PM
:dancingco :roll: :jump: :beerme: :thumbup: :rockband: :valentin:

hmm.... now who makes the Saturday start? I see the discussion has already begun. Germano is the most deserving guy at AAA, and then there's Maude... I mean Bailey. Or a trade. Whatever happens, hats off to the FO for getting rid of this guy.

GOREDSGO32
07-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Michalak gets no respect. Screw age, give him a shot. Even if he pitches only for this year, and does decent that by itself is awesome.

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 05:11 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :birthday:

LincolnparkRed
07-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Michalak gets no respect. Screw age, give him a shot. Even if he pitches only for this year, and does decent that by itself is awesome. He and Germano have much better whips than Gosling so I say give one of them a chance and see what happens

IrishDavidKY
07-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Great News!!!! No let's see who becomes the 5th starter.

wojo1025
07-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Does this mean Ross goes right back into the lineup? LaRue will be ....pleased

TeamBoone
07-26-2006, 06:21 PM
From Marc's blog:

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Ross in, Mays out

HOUSTON -- David Ross made it to Houston despite the lousy weather, so the Reds were able to make their corresponding roster move.

Joe Mays has been designated for assignment. Still no word on Saturday's starter, which is now officially listed as "TBA."

Krivsky said there will be a job for Mays at Louisville if he chooses to go that route, but Mays wanted to check with his agent before making a decision. Assuming no one claims him off waivers, of course.

posted by Marc at 4:15 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

ThornWithin81
07-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Nah-na-na-na. Nah-na-na-na. Hey Hey Mays...GOOD. BYE.

:jump::jump:

Far East
07-26-2006, 06:33 PM
It might be a good opportunity to ease Ross back into live pitching with a southpaw going tonight. A couple of his and Jason's stats against LHP this year:

ROSS: .500 OBP and 1.051 SLG

LARUE: .319 OBP and .390 SLG

If David comes anywhere near those numbers during the second half, then Kearns' RH hitting won't be missed as much as when LaRue has been behind the plate.

TeamBoone
07-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Ross will definitely be catching tonight because Arroyo is pitching. There's no doubt in my mind that's why they brought him back today.

2001MUgrad
07-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Its time NOW to make a move at the catcher's spot. LaRue has been the Jason LaRue of old offensively since he got a chance to play every day. Its time to either move him and eat some of the horrible contract or move Valentin. Something really needs to be done. Its great that the team has options. But there are starting to be too many players that should be playing that aren't because other players are equally due playing time.
At 3B you have EE and RA. At 1B you have Hatteberg and RA and I'd throw LaRue and Valentin into that mix as well since both have played it in the past. At C you have 3 C's and Valentin seems to be the odd man out, even though he does bring good things to the field. His positives are the same positives that you get out of other players with the exception that he is a Switch hitter off the bench, but he isn't getting enough AB's to really make much of a difference that way.

fisch11
07-26-2006, 06:40 PM
This was an inevitable axe dropping from Wayne....all I can say is, it's abou time! Now the quest for a 5th starter.

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 06:56 PM

Then he'll be please to be on another team when he gets traded shortly. ;)

remdog
07-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Trade Ross before he returns to his career lows.

Rem

SMcGavin
07-26-2006, 07:20 PM
I'd go with Dumatrait.

On a side note, what ever happened to Josh Hall? I remember him making a spot start when the Reds were on the Fox Saturday game a couple of years ago. As I recall he pitched decent too. Injury?

flyer85
07-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Remwhat about Hatty

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 07:52 PM

Rem

Yeah. Just trade everyone.

Griffey, Dunn, Hatteberg, LaRue, Ross, Arroyo, Harang :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, is there ANYONE on this team that (some) people don't want traded besides EE? :p:

Patrick Bateman
07-26-2006, 07:54 PM

In all seriousness, is there ANYONE on this team that (some) people don't want traded besides EE? :p:

Well when you have a thousand people on one board, I'm guessing you will find many people with different opinions. There isn't a player that nobody wants to be traded.

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Well when you have a thousand people on one board, I'm guessing you will find many people with different opinions. There isn't a player that nobody wants to be traded.

True. Many people mentioned are too valuable to trade right now. I realize that trading someone while peaking would give them more value....but still....we need to keep the players that are playing the best for us. Not the worst.

remdog
07-26-2006, 07:56 PM
what about Hatty

I covered that somewhere in one of these threads...kinda' lose track with two boards and related subjects. :help: I believe that I said that I was OK with Hatteberg in a bench role next year but I was hopeing that with Scott signed to a relatively cheap contract it might make it easier to trade him. (Which I wouldn't have a problem with either.)

Rem

VI_RedsFan
07-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Good move by WK. I wish Mays the best of luck though. Seemed like a good guy, but maybe he's just more suited for the bullpen.

reds1869
07-26-2006, 08:00 PM
I think G.F. Handel said it best:

HALL---E-LU-JAH! HALL---E-LU-JAH! HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! HALL-E--LU-JAH!

remdog
07-26-2006, 08:00 PM

Most people here realize that not everyone of those players is going to be traded. They also realize that trades are a part of the game and (especially at this time of the year) some players are apt to come and go. They further realize that a lot of people find it fun to discuss possible trades.

I'm sorry if you are not one of those people.:(

Rem

Ltlabner
07-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Good move by WK. I wish Mays the best of luck though. Seemed like a good guy, but maybe he's just more suited for the bullpen.

As much as Mays had to go and was an experiment that went horribly wrong, it's still hard to see a guy get fired. Especially when you know it's likley that his carear in baseball is over. That's got to be tough for him to deal with.

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Most people here realize that not everyone of those players is going to be traded. They also realize that trades are a part of the game and (especially at this time of the year) some players are apt to come and go. They further realize that a lot of people find it fun to discuss possible trades.

I'm sorry if you are not one of those people.:(

Rem

I realize all of those scenarios. But I also realize that wanting to trade our key players so far, AFTER already trading 2 key players to this offense (Kearns, Lopez), is not something that should even be worth contemplating.

It can be fun, no doubt. The possbilities are endless. I guess I am more of a realistic type person when it comes to trades. I think more along the lines of what WILL happen, as opposed to what could in a parallel universe.

Sorry you are not one of those people. :(

remdog
07-26-2006, 08:09 PM
I think more along the lines of what WILL happen, as opposed to what could in a parallel universe.

Sorry you are not one of those people. :(

Ah, but I am. :p: You simply haven't figured that out yet. :)

Rem

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Ah, but I am. :p: You simply haven't figured that out yet. :)

Rem

;) Hahaha

Yet to be proven! :p:

VI_RedsFan
07-26-2006, 08:11 PM
As much as Mays had to go and was an experiment that went horribly wrong, it's still hard to see a guy get fired. Especially when you know it's likley that his carear in baseball is over. That's got to be tough for him to deal with.

I agree 100%. I hope someone gives him another chance and puts him in the 'pen, where he might actually be effective.

TeamBoone
07-26-2006, 08:12 PM
It would be kinda nice if the Reds actually keep a few of the position players that have actually helped get them to where they are at this point in the season.

I think they will.

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 08:14 PM
It would be kinda nice if the Reds actually keep a few of the position players that have actually helped get them to where they are at this point in the season.

I think they will.

Of course they will. Honestly, in a realistic sense (rem, pay attention to this! :p: ), who else would they trade? Only people I can actually think of is Jason LaRue or Javier Valentin. And as much as I would like to see that, it's probably not a very good possibility that will even happen...