PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn tricks Marty

NatiRedGals
07-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Ah, the Banana Phone, the good old BP. Rain delays during Reds games would never be the same without it. The average IQ of callers has to be about 70. Take, for example, this call:

Adam from Milwaukee: Hello, Marty. Marty? Marty, this is Adam. (pause) This is Adam from Milwaukee.

Marty Brennaman: Hey Adam, how you doing?

Adam: I'm good, how are you?

Marty: Good.

Adam: Do you think Scott Hatteberg's a good player?

Marty: Yeah. (long pause) Hello?

Adam: Marty? Marty.

Marty: Yes, Adam from Milwaukee.

Adam: Do you think Scott Hatteberg's a good player?

Marty: Do you think he's a good player?

Adam: I think he's overrated.

Marty: Um, who would you rather see play at first base? I can tell you're a big fan.

Adam: I am. Um, maybe, uh, Luke Stowe?

Marty: That would, you think that he'd be an improvement?

Adam: I think so. Defensively.

Steve: He's a little bit young.

Marty: He's a little bit young, isn't he, Adam?

Adam: Uh...no. (long, dumb pause accompanied by laughter in the booth) Is it still raining in Cincinnati?

Marty: It's just about stopped, Adam.

Adam: Do you have your shirt on?

Marty: Last time I checked, I did. Yes, why?

Adam: Just curious.

Marty: Hey, listen, I'm gonna let you go now because I know that you gotta get your game face on because we gotta get ready to go back on the radio and I know you'll be listening to every word.

Adam: I love it. Have a good one, bro!

The funny thing about this conversation is that "Adam from Milwaukee" is actually Adam Dunn sitting in the Reds clubhouse waiting out the rain. I did not catch it while I listened to it live since so many other halfwits had called in. I just assumed this guy was another moron. Dunner has to be a blast to be around. This conversation is hilarious to listen to if you know it is him.

StillFunkyB
07-26-2006, 05:30 PM
That's funny!

HotCorner
07-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Audio file anywhere?

Redlegs23
07-26-2006, 05:31 PM
That's hilarious. He'd be a great guy to go out partying with. I imagine he has a ton of good stories. One question though, who's Luke Stowe? I think there's a Bernie or possibly a Rick Stowe or something that's the clubhouse manager. I'm guessing maybe it's his son?

Tommyjohn25
07-26-2006, 05:42 PM
:laugh: :laugh: I actually heard that call when I was driving home from work!!

That is hilarious that it was him!!

CougarQuest
07-26-2006, 05:43 PM
someone posting that even Adam Dunn thinks that Hatteburg is overrated in 10...9...8...
;)

KronoRed
07-26-2006, 05:44 PM
someone posting that even Adam Dunn thinks that Hatteburg is overrated in 10...9...8...
;)
Nah..this isn't Reds.com

Matt700wlw
07-26-2006, 05:44 PM
;)

See...he wants to play first!! :D

smith288
07-26-2006, 06:03 PM
i heard that and I knew it was someone from in the organization but didnt think of THE Adam.

Im assuming Hatte was next to Dunn

Mario-Rijo
07-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah I heard that bit. Same night that Miller, Howard & Hanks were at the game. It's funny because I turned to my brother after he said Hatte was overrated and said "That is Adam Dunn, I know it"! We just sat and laughed and I could imagine alot of those boneheads that call in were sitting there nodding in agreement with "Adam from Milwaukee"!

redsfanfalcon
07-26-2006, 06:17 PM
I heard it and I thought it was just a call from another banana phone caller making a total fool out of himself as usual...good stuff!

2001MUgrad
07-26-2006, 06:30 PM
I heard it, but it wasn't until listening to the post game show 1 night later on that week that I figured out who it was. I knew that it was someone that Marty knew by the way he introduced "Adam from Mil" and then he said Luke Stowe and I knew it was some kind of inside joke, but didn't realize it was Dunn until later on. Just goes to show you that there isn't this huge hositility between Dunn and Marty. They can check business stuff at the door when its personal time.

Ltlabner
07-26-2006, 06:34 PM
I heard it, but it wasn't until listening to the post game show 1 night later on that week that I figured out who it was. I knew that it was someone that Marty knew by the way he introduced "Adam from Mil" and then he said Luke Stowe and I knew it was some kind of inside joke, but didn't realize it was Dunn until later on. Just goes to show you that there isn't this huge hositility between Dunn and Marty. They can check business stuff at the door when its personal time.

No, no, no. Marty B is an evil monster who has an adgenda against Dunn and will not stand for this insolent behavior. He has a legacy to protect ya know. I wouldn't be suprised if Dunn is sent packing along with Mays because Marty is the secret mastermind behind the Reds orginization. He couldn't possibly like a person whom he critices for their baseball performance could he?

Well, that would require civility, and maturity and the ability to realize that baseball is a game. That just couldn't be.

Jr's Boy
07-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I heard it,it was hilarious!He sounded like Special Ed from the crank yankers show.Funny thing is Marty thought he was for real.

OldRightHander
07-26-2006, 06:49 PM
I thought it was some moron as well when I heard it. That's just hilarious.

Bill Slawski
07-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Luke Stowe looks like he's going to be a good one, though he's shown pitching here instead of playing first base:

Luke Stowe playing baseball for St. Jude (http://mikewelch.com/photogallery/2004/05/eric_stowe040506/)

Looks like he may be the son of Red's Clubhouse and Equipment manager Rick Stowe (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/community/rcf_board.jsp), and the grandson of Bernie Stowe (http://www.cincypost.com/2003/03/31/redsnotes03-31-2003.html), whom the Red's home clubhouse is named after.

Marty might have recognized the name. :)

Caseyfan21
07-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Anyone remember back a while ago when Rijo called in and bashed the old Marty and Joe brand potato chips? He had a corny accent and everything. That was funny and if I rememeber correctly Marty and/or Joe got a little heated about it. It was on the cassette they gave away for Marty and Joe's 25th (or maybe 20th?) anniversary together in the booth. I have it somewhere at home but unfortunately I won't be home for a few weeks, otherwise I could post an mp3.

redsfanmia
07-26-2006, 06:57 PM
This just makes me wonder if Marty got hot about this? He is pretty thin skinned and seems to not be a good sport. Funny anyway.

KoryMac5
07-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Dunn is very funny he has been one of the best guests I have ever heard on the Dan Patrick show.

GOREDSGO32
07-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Oh man ... I wish I could download an MP3 of this.

TeamBoone
07-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Tonight (7/26) on the pregame show, they asked several players what they would be doing if they weren't baseball players... Dunn's response (totally deadpan straight face)... "I honest don't know (pause), maybe a gymnast".

I lost it!

tripleaaaron
07-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Me and my girlfriend were cracking up when this came on, it was hysterical, and wow until this post I didn't realize it was Dunn, that makes it even better.
and yes he did sound like special Ed

NatiRedGals
07-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Oh man ... I wish I could download an MP3 of this.

Bet ya it will be out their soon enough:beerme:

PTI (pti)
07-26-2006, 09:49 PM
:laugh:

I just found out about this....uhh....when I opened this thread. If Dunn's goal was to sound like a COMPLETE moron -> mission accomplished.

I had no clue it was a joke when I heard it - but it's funny as hell.

5TimeWSChamps
07-26-2006, 09:51 PM
What's up Urschel

PTI (pti)
07-26-2006, 09:59 PM
What's up Urschel

:eek:

5TimeWSChamps
07-26-2006, 10:03 PM
:lindner:

PTI (pti)
07-26-2006, 10:08 PM
:lindner:

I'm baffled.

SunDeck
07-27-2006, 07:09 AM
About Rick...from the Reds homepage, this doesn't sound right:

In the winter of 1977, Rick was promoted to his current position. Rick is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Reds' clubhouse, including the ordering of supplies and equipment and the upkeep of all equipment.

Stowie was 12 in 1977.

Ltlabner
07-27-2006, 08:32 AM
I got to thinking about the Dunn story while I was shaving this morning and busted out laughing. What a goof!

Marty told a stroy on air that he and George Foster (I think) would get into "pretend fights" to freak people out. They'd be in the clubhouse just screaming at each other while people uncomfortably stood by and watched. The funniest part, I think, is imagining the small slender Marty screaming obseneties at the giant Dave Parker while Dave towers over Marty.

HalMorrisRules
07-27-2006, 08:53 AM
I heard the call and could tell it was someone they knew and thought that it might have been Mike Massalo (sp?) that left the Reds FO to go work as Director of Media Relations for the Brewers since he said he was from Milwaukee. Funny funny stuff.

Blimpie
07-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Oh man ... I wish I could download an MP3 of this.Paging Matt700WLW....come in Matt.....:cool:

Redlegs23
07-27-2006, 08:38 PM
What do I win for being first?

http://www.redlegnation.com/adam_in_milwaukee_64.mp3

fisch11
07-27-2006, 08:46 PM
That's hilarious! I like the part where Adam thinks Hatty is overrated!

crazybob60
07-27-2006, 08:55 PM
I got to thinking about the Dunn story while I was shaving this morning and busted out laughing. What a goof!

Marty told a stroy on air that he and George Foster (I think) would get into "pretend fights" to freak people out. They'd be in the clubhouse just screaming at each other while people uncomfortably stood by and watched. The funniest part, I think, is imagining the small slender Marty screaming obseneties at the giant Dave Parker while Dave towers over Marty.

I believe it was Dave Parker and yes, it is quite comical to think of them arguing and fighting in such a manner.

harangatang
07-28-2006, 01:35 AM
That whole thing is absolutely hilarious. I actually heard on the radio that night and I laughed then not knowing it was Adam Dunn. If you haven't heard download or listen to it, it's a worth a good laugh.

5TimeWSChamps
07-28-2006, 01:55 AM
Holy hell I'm dying here, Absolutely hilarious!

TOBTTReds
07-28-2006, 02:01 AM
Does anyone here really think he fell for this???

I think he knew it the whole time.

He intros it by saying: "We will now go to a good friend of ours..." and I don't think he has called in before.

"I can tell you are a big fan"

"I'm gonna let you go now bc I know you have to get your game face on"

"Adam from Milwaukee, yeah (sarcastic)"

ohh I'm too analytical, but I think he knew it all along, but I did NOT! I thought it was some drunk calling in!

oregonred
07-28-2006, 02:25 AM
That's about the funniest thing I've heard in a long time -- that was a clutch and scrappy call-in from Adam. Dunner is the best :)

BTW, one of my alltime favorite radio sports clips was the Vikings owner (Red McCombs) stopping by the Vikes radio booth to call a play just as Shawn Alexander scored an 80+ yard TD against his team.

KronoRed
07-28-2006, 02:37 AM
What do I win for being first?

http://www.redlegnation.com/adam_in_milwaukee_64.mp3
Solid posting :thumbup:

Razor Shines
07-28-2006, 03:27 AM
Nope not funny. It was a meaningless solo call. The night before there were other people on the lines and he didn't get through after three tries. And his call volume is inflated because he uses a seperate number and gets on with a free pass.

MartyFan
07-28-2006, 03:34 AM
I honestly think Marty knew it was one of the players....nonetheless, I LOVE THIS!

Personality and fun after the AS break??? In Cincy????

TOBTTReds
07-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Nope not funny. It was a meaningless solo call. The night before there were other people on the lines and he didn't get through after three tries. And his call volume is inflated because he uses a seperate number and gets on with a free pass.

So true.

Chip R
07-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Sounds like Adam was trying to sound a little like Napoleon Dynamite. That was so funny. :lol:

redsfan1966
07-28-2006, 05:08 PM
I did not hear this live because I have been horribly ill recently...but it is so obvious Marty knew this was a set up from the beginning...still doesnt make it any less funny...bravo Adam...