PDA

View Full Version : Look for Griffey's slump to end about August 1st

ChatterRed
07-26-2006, 10:59 PM
.......when the trading deadline is past.

He doesn't want to go anywhere, hence his hitting slump to deter any desire to trade for him. ;)

RFS62
07-26-2006, 10:59 PM
10-5

redsupport
07-26-2006, 11:15 PM
how about an injured hamstring?

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 11:19 PM
how about an injured hamstring?

Do what?

redsupport
07-26-2006, 11:21 PM
griffey is finished, utterly, completely, an effete, attenuated version of an oft injured player

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 11:23 PM
griffey is finished, utterly, completely, an effete, attenuated version of an oft injured player

Griffey is finished? Wow! A 3 for 30 slump means a player is finished? That's some really harsh news...glad you could break that to us!

BTW, How much you pay for that crack rock? :laugh:

redsupport
07-26-2006, 11:31 PM
he needs to be benched so he can get ready for his pereniall off season conditioning program

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 11:36 PM
he needs to be benched so he can get ready for his pereniall off season conditioning program

I can understand bashing Griffey for his defense, but OFFENSE? You can't be serious! The guy has 500+ homeruns. He has 19 this year, and if he hits a hot streak, he's known for hitting double digits a month!

A 3 for 30 slump is far from 'career-ending.'

Support your theories, home slice. :cool:

JaxRed
07-26-2006, 11:39 PM
What was Redsupport's name before when he got banned?

ThornWithin81
07-26-2006, 11:40 PM
I can understand bashing Griffey for his defense, but OFFENSE? You can't be serious! The guy has 500+ homeruns. He has 19 this year, and if he hits a hot streak, he's known for hitting double digits a month!

A 3 for 30 slump is far from 'career-ending.'

Support your theories, home slice. :cool:

Griffey is batting .240. In the three hole. And has been beyond cold as of late.

Changes need to be made, even if it is only short term. I don't care one ounce about his 500+ homeruns, the majority of which he hit years ago at this point. If a player NOT named "Ken Griffey" was hitting this poorly, more people would be upset. I'm not saying he can't bounce back, but right now, we need to be winning games, and he's just not helping that cause.

Put Freel in Center and Deno in Right for a few games. Get Griffey's head on straight, then hope he can come out of the slump.

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 11:46 PM
If a player NOT named "Ken Griffey" was hitting this poorly, more people would be upset.

That's some bullcrap, dude.

I can frankly remember Freel going on a TERRIBLE slump this year and hardly anything was said about it.

And I REALLY don't remember people saying that Freel's career was over, he needs to be benched, or needs to be traded.

If anything, the homerun hitters on this team (Dunn, Griffey) receive the most whip cracking around here than any other player.

Razor Shines
07-26-2006, 11:52 PM
Awesome. Way to tell it like it is. It's the unpopular thing to do right now considering the way he has played of late, but you're out there on that ledge. And to top it off you keep coming up with these things I've never heard before, ripping Jr. for getting hurt a lot, wow, that's cutting edge stuff man, keep it up.

George Foster
07-26-2006, 11:53 PM

I can frankly remember Freel going on a TERRIBLE slump this year and hardly anything was said about it.

And I REALLY don't remember people saying that Freel's career was over, he needs to be benched, or needs to be traded.

If anything, the homerun hitters on this team (Dunn, Griffey) receive the most whip cracking around here than any other player.

When Freel hit a cold slump, he was benched. When Dunn was cold he was moved up and down in the line-up. Griffey should not be batting 3rd period. He has the worst OBP of anybody and yes I said anybody hitting third in MLB.

Rob Dicken
07-26-2006, 11:58 PM
When Freel hit a cold slump, he was benched. When Dunn was cold he was moved up and down in the line-up. Griffey should not be batting 3rd period. He has the worst OBP of anybody and yes I said anybody hitting third in MLB.

I am ALL FOR moving him in the lineup, if that means him breaking out of his slump. I am not contesting that.

I am contesting the fact that this 'redsupport' chump thinks that Griffey's career is over, simply because of a bad month. That's going a little bit to the extremity of the situation.

Not to mention the sarcastic remarks about Griffey being injury prone. And....no one knows that? :rolleyes:

Razor Shines
07-27-2006, 12:05 AM

He doesn't want to go anywhere, hence his hitting slump to deter any desire to trade for him. ;)
Oh and thank you for making us all aware of this, I didn't realize this was a self induced slump. I'm fine with it then, there's nothing to worry about. August 1st is only a few days away and then he won't have to worry about being traded, so he'll be hitting like his old self again. I was getting worried that the slump might last longer but since he's not really slumping and it's just that he's getting out on purpose right now I can breathe easy.

241/10

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-27-2006, 12:16 AM

REDUNSUPPORT

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 12:27 AM
REDUNSUPPORT

BINGO! :thumbup:

redsrule2500
07-27-2006, 12:30 AM

Was Freel batting third?
Was Freel batting .235?

Not even close to compare these two.

jimbo
07-27-2006, 12:34 AM
What was Redsupport's name before when he got banned?

He is Freel Fan on another board.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-27-2006, 12:35 AM
Griffey is finished? Wow! A 3 for 30 slump means a player is finished? That's some really harsh news...glad you could break that to us!

BTW, How much you pay for that crack rock? :laugh:

Great stuff, blowing off steam after a loss is great isn't it.

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Was Freel batting third?
Was Freel batting .235?

Not even close to compare these two.

Really? In the lead-off role, through the whole month of May, Freel ended the month batting .257 I hardly call that 'not close.' Especially for the lead-off sport, KNOWING that you need to get on for people to drive you in.

3 doubles, 1 triple, and 1 homerun the entire month of May for Freel. Oh yeah...and 3....count them...THREE Runs batted in. 3 BB the entire month as well....and a whopping OPS of .718

Griffey drives in 3 runs with one swing of the bat. So yes, in this situation that can be compared. Quit cracking on the power hitters, and crack on the small guys such as Freel who NEED to get on base for people like Griffey and Dunn to drive them in.

TeamBoone
07-27-2006, 12:47 AM

That's just silly. He has the final say as to whether or not he goes anywhere.

I bet you're one of the "fans" who booed him when he was writhing on the ground with a dislocated shoulder.

God, some of you are absolutely heartless. Don't forget to kick the dog before you turn in for the night... just because you can.

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 12:48 AM
He is Freel Fan on another board.

LMAO

how convenient! :rolleyes:

Big Daddy P
07-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Seriously, Grif must be yanked out of the 3 hole yesterday, if not sooner. He is useless there right now. A black hole. The pitch comes in and barely comes out, if at all.

...and he IS but a shell of what he used to be. Very sad.

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Seriously, Grif must be yanked out of the 3 hole yesterday, if not sooner. He is useless there right now. A black hole. The pitch comes in and barely comes out, if at all.

...and he IS but a shell of what he used to be. Very sad.

Most players are at 37 years of age. But, nonetheless, he is STILL a very good player and he belongs in that line-up, stuggling or not.

RFS62
07-27-2006, 09:06 AM
Sounds quite De la Hozian to me.

Chip R
07-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Sounds quite De la Hozian to me.

Indeed.

crazybob60
07-27-2006, 01:53 PM
Despite the fact of Griffey being in his slump, and his career numbers and where he bats, he will get himself out of this current funk he is in in my opinion and when he does, he will finish the season strong. I bet he will end up with around 33-34 HR's. Which if he can duplicate those HR totals for next season as well, then towards the end of next season we should be seeing our 5th member of the 600 HR club. I just hope he does this all in a Reds uniform. If he doesn't do this next season, then by 2008 he should most definitely have it. I personally don't think he will retire until he reaches that 600 HR plateau...

Mario-Rijo
07-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Most players are at 37 years of age. But, nonetheless, he is STILL a very good player and he belongs in that line-up, stuggling or not.

I agree with that. I have actually been saying he needs to be dropped to at least 4th in the lineup before he was slumping, I could now see him batting 5th at worst (until he ends this slump) and then back to 4th. Of course this only really works if you can find a solid #2 hitter because if Griff bats 4th Dunn has to bat 3rd IMO. I had also been in the camp of batting Jr. behind Dunn all season and perhaps that is why the slump has went from Dunn to Jr.?

Rotater Cuff
07-27-2006, 02:10 PM

Griff won't be 37 until Thanksgiving.

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Griff won't be 37 until Thanksgiving.

Thank you. 3 1/2 months is not worth correcting someone on.

:thumbdown

ThornWithin81
07-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Despite my earlier comments about changes needing to be made, I'm glad to have Griffey on the Reds roster, by all means. I think Griff provides a veteran the younger guys can look to, despite the fact that Griffey isn't the typical leader type. No matter how old he gets, and how far his game declines, he's still Ken Griffey Jr, the guy with the sweetest swing in Baseball, that I've been pulling for since way back in the Early 90s when he owned the Kingdome. As a Reds fan, the day he became a Red is one of my favorite memories, despite the injury problems.

I fully expect him to come out of this slump. I think he has one good run left in him, at least. I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish this year strong, and have a good year next season, before really tailing off. But right now, if we're serious about winning the Wildcard and trying to make some noise in September, you have to get Griffey out of the lineup and let Freel and Deno show what they can do. I can't remember the last time Junior got a hit when we needed one, which you just can't have from a 3-hitter, at this point in the season.

2001MUgrad
07-27-2006, 05:27 PM
What I don't understand is the fact that he is still batting 3rd. Other than when Ryan Freel plays, you know he leads off, but everyone else in the lineup is screwed with on a BobBoone like micro-management style. Why is Griffey untouchable?? He is killing the offense right now. I don't have the numbers but I'd bet that of the 10 guys that play on a regular basis they have all batted in at least 2 different spots and probably 7 of the 10 in 3 or more different spots.
Why is Griffey such the untouchable?? Not only is he 6-46, but he isn't walking or getting sacrifices either.

JaxRed
07-27-2006, 05:55 PM
De La Hoz .... that's it !! You'd think he'd at least try to disguise himself.

Matt700wlw
07-27-2006, 05:59 PM

Um..no.

TeamBoone
07-27-2006, 08:12 PM
I can't remember the last time Junior got a hit when we needed one, which you just can't have from a 3-hitter, at this point in the season.

I do. It was last week and was a game winner.

And he just hit #556. Yeah!!

I hate seeing him struggle.

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 08:59 PM
I do. It was last week and was a game winner.

And he just hit #556. Yeah!!

I hate seeing him struggle.

Ohhhh me too! ;)

Razor Shines
07-28-2006, 02:46 AM
I was very proud of the 2 walks tonight. Didn't see the game and will feel really stupid if they were intentional.

TeamBoone
07-28-2006, 03:56 PM
No, they weren't intentional.