PDA

View Full Version : Put Dunn back in 2nd batting slot

bigdaddy
07-27-2006, 08:11 AM
If Dunn bats second last night, I believe we would have scored more runs. He is seeing the baseball very well now.

Redhook
07-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Freel
Phillips
Dunn
JR.
EE/RA
Hatte/RA
Ross
Clayton

That took me about 1 minute to type out. I don't the difficulty in finding a good, consistent lineup.

cincy09
07-27-2006, 08:51 AM
if he bats second he would get more at bats too. Last night he would have hit with two on and 0 outs in the 9th. (Theoretically)

RBA
07-27-2006, 09:19 AM
I guess none of you guys are familiar with the butterfly theory?

Johnny Footstool
07-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Dunn is absolutely awesome in the #2 slot. 78 ABs, .346 AVG, .420 OB, .641 SLG.

In the #3 slot, his OPS drops to a pedestrian .854.

HalMorrisRules
07-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Dunn is absolutely awesome in the #2 slot. 78 ABs, .346 AVG, .420 OB, .641 SLG.

In the #3 slot, his OPS drops to a pedestrian .854.

But is it the slot or the fact that when Jr bats behind him he does better? My guess is, when Dunn has hit third, Griffey was out of the lineup the majority of the time. I think if you moved Dunn to the #3 slot and move Jr to the #4 slot it would have the same effect. It would also allow Dunn to bat with the chance of more runners being on base than he is seeing now in the #2 position.

BRM
07-27-2006, 10:30 AM
But is it the slot or the fact that when Jr bats behind him he does better? My guess is, when Dunn has hit third, Griffey was out of the lineup the majority of the time.

Given that, how much of Junior's could be related to hitting in front of Aurilia? Even with Aurilia's recent streak, teams would probably still rather face him than Junior. Maybe teams aren't giving in to Junior but he's not being patient and swinging at bad pitches.

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 10:32 AM
If you bat Clayton below the 7 slot, he's going to moan about it, and as he has always showed, he gives up once that happens and bats terribly.

Probably the ideal batting order would be:

Freel
Phillips
Dunn
Griffey
EE
Hatte/RA
Clayton
Ross
Pitcher

redsfan30
07-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Right now, if they're going to leave Griffey in the 3 hole, they have to bat done 4th. Griffey needs protection in the worst sort of way.

As well as Dunn is hitting now, Junior would see much better pitches to hit now and that might be a way to jump start him.

BRM
07-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Right now, if they're going to leave Griffey in the 3 hole, they have to bat done 4th. Griffey needs protection in the worst sort of way.

As well as Dunn is hitting now, Junior would see much better pitches to hit now and that might be a way to jump start him.

Then Dunn has no protection and he may struggle. Then again, maybe the result would simply be more walks for Adam and more RBI opps for RA and Hat.

redsfan30
07-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Then Dunn has no protection and he may struggle. Then again, maybe the result would simply be more walks for Adam and more RBI opps for RA and Hat.
Dunn can still take a walk. They need to try anything and everything to get Junior going again.

RBA
07-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Dunn can still take a walk. They need to try anything and everything to get Junior going again.

How about sending him to hypnotist?

redsfan30
07-27-2006, 11:26 AM
How about sending him to hypnotist?
If it'll help get him going again, I'll pay the bill.

Johnny Footstool
07-27-2006, 11:27 AM
But is it the slot or the fact that when Jr bats behind him he does better? My guess is, when Dunn has hit third, Griffey was out of the lineup the majority of the time. I think if you moved Dunn to the #3 slot and move Jr to the #4 slot it would have the same effect. It would also allow Dunn to bat with the chance of more runners being on base than he is seeing now in the #2 position.

I think it has more to do with Dunn himself. He looks more aggressive in the #2 hole, and it's working. He's taking 4.08 Pitches per Plate Appearance as a 2-hitter vs. 4.26 in the #3 spot and 4.18 in the #4 spot. It could be the result of getting better pitches to hit, or it could be that he's jumping on hittable pitches early in the count instead of waiting for the perfect pitch to drive.

As for hitting with more runners on base, batting Dunn behind Phillips' .337 OBP will not be all that beneficial.

Stingray
07-27-2006, 01:20 PM
I posted this in a different thread. I still think it is our best team/lineup for this year and beyound.

Play Hat/Aur platoon -1B, Freel 2B, Phillips - SS, EE - 3B, Dunn - LF, Deno - CF, Jr - RF, Hot hand - C every day except for occasional rests for these regulars. Best to win now AND for the future.

LINEUP:

Freel
Dunn
EE
Jr
Deno
Hat/Aur
Phillps
Hot Hand Catcher(Val only against RH pitchers)
Pitcher

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 01:54 PM
I would still rather see Freel in CF, Phillips at SS, and Aurilia at 2B.

Denorfia is a utility player, and nothing much more than that. Great defense, lots of speed, and weak offense.

registerthis
07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
I would still rather see Freel in CF, Phillips at SS, and Aurilia at 2B.

Denorfia is a utility player, and nothing much more than that. Great defense, lots of speed, and weak offense.

I think this makes a lot of sense. Although I will also say that the jury is out on Denorfia, due to his limited ABs we don't really know *what* type of player he is. But I really like having Freel out there, and I'd like him even more in CF.

Reds1
07-27-2006, 02:23 PM

I swear they pitched around Clayton last night to get to Jr. ;)

KronoRed
07-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Way too early to call Deno a utility player

BRM
07-27-2006, 04:57 PM

68 big league at-bats aren't enough, huh? ;)

Puffy
07-27-2006, 05:07 PM
How bout Junior at 2 and Dunn at 3 for now.

RBA
07-27-2006, 05:11 PM

Way to early to call Deno a future Hall of Famer. :D

KronoRed
07-27-2006, 05:31 PM
How bout Junior at 2 and Dunn at 3 for now.
Rich 4th of course.

Johnny Footstool
07-27-2006, 08:10 PM
I just heard on the FSN Houston game broadcast that Dunn started using a lighter bat a few weeks ago. The coaches think that's why he's been hitting so well lately.

Rob Dicken
07-27-2006, 09:01 PM
I just heard on the FSN Houston game broadcast that Dunn started using a lighter bat a few weeks ago. The coaches think that's why he's been hitting so well lately.

As well as I. :thumbup: