PDA

View Full Version : ROY, Cy Young, MVP

crazybob60
07-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Well I don't think this was discussed very much at around the All Star Break, and if it was, well I missed it. But I was just curious who you guys thought would win the big awards this season in each league. The Rookie of the Year, MVP, Cy Young, and it seems I am forgetting one, but can't rightly remember. Anybody help me? Here's my 2 cents here....

AL ROY: tie Jered Weaver, Francisco Liriano, Justin Verlander (has there ever been a race that close? Maybe Weaver gets left out?)
NL ROY: Josh Johnson (is he still a rookie? if not...well I will edit this answer...)

AL Cy Young: Roy Halladay
NL Cy Young: Brandon Webb

AL MVP: David Ortiz
NL MVP: Albert Pujols (as long as he stays healthy)

Thoughts? Opinions?

Red Leader
07-27-2006, 02:30 PM
AL ROY: Real hard time picking between Liriano, Verlander and Papelbon. I think Jered Weaver gets left out, not enough GS/IP compared to the others.

NL ROY: Dan Uggla (if he qualifies, I think he does)

AL Cy Young: Halladay, unless Liriano keeps up his pace, then he gets it
NL Cy Young: Hmm, not a lot of stand out choices. I'll agree on Webb.

AL MVP: Ortiz
NL MVP: David Wright.

dabvu2498
07-27-2006, 02:34 PM
AL ROY: tie Jered Weaver, Francisco Liriano, Justin Verlander (has there ever been a race that close? Maybe Weaver gets left out?)
Jonathon Papelbon has to get some serious consideration here too.

AL Cy Young is way too close to call right now... Halladay, Schilling and the two Twins as the front runners.

NL Cy Young: I'm going to say Glavine will end up with it as the Mets continue to pull away in the East.

You've got the two MVPs.

Joseph
07-27-2006, 02:37 PM
AL ROY: Papelbon

NL ROY: Dan Uggla

AL Cy Young: Liriano. I know, Cy Young, but not ROY? This is baseball, not logic.
NL Cy Young: Webb, Glavine, or maybe just maybe Harang. Depends on the next 8-10 starts for each.

AL MVP: Justin Morneau, thats right, I said it.
NL MVP: David Wright.

jmble
07-27-2006, 02:38 PM
I don't know if Johnson is a rookie or not. I think it has to do with how many days he was on the roster. I saw he pitched four games last year, so I guess it's possible.

How about Dan Uggla though. .301 avg. 15 hrs 56 rbi's. He's looking pretty good.

Is Liriano considered a rookie? He has more stats from 05 than Johnson does.

I'm not sure I would take Roy Halladay over Liriano at this point. 12-2 with a sub 2.00 era? That's just rediculous numbers. Assuming he doesn't falter from here on out, I think it's his for the taking.

Can't argue with Webb, although my heart says Harang. :)

AL MVP, I'm looking at Travis Hafner or Jim Thome. Hafner's got a nod over him with the average, but Thome's playing ofr a winner, so I would guess on Thome. I think they showed last year that Big Papi's gonna get screwed in the MVP voting because he plays DH.

NL MVP, no arguments here.

Johnny Footstool
07-27-2006, 02:39 PM
AL ROY is a dead heat right now between Liriano and Papelbon. Verlander is a distant third.

NL ROY will probably be Dan Uggla or perhaps Ryan Zimmerman. Prince Fielder will get lots of votes, too.

AL CY: Johan Santana or Liriano
NL CY: Brandon Webb

AL MVP: David Ortiz again
NL MVP: Pujols again. (PSSST...don't tell anyone this, but Carlos Beltran is better than David Wright.)

jmble
07-27-2006, 02:57 PM
FYI

I found this paragraph that should clear up the question of who is eligible to be a rookie.

"Gonzalez would be at the forefront of candidates, but he took 150 at-bats with the Rangers last season -- 20 more than the 130 at-bats that eliminate rookie status. For a pitcher, it's 50 innings. Another disqualification is more than 45 days of service time with clubs at the 25-player limit."

So unless Johnson was sitting on the end of a bench for over a month without pitching, he would be eligible. I just don't think he's going to win it.

princeton
07-27-2006, 03:15 PM
I thought that this was a thread about Homer Bailey in 2007?

Fil3232
07-27-2006, 04:36 PM
AL ROY: Liriano - the man is putting up goofy numbers right now and along with Morneau has been the main catalyst behind their turnaround

AL Cy Young: Roy Halladay - good numbers across the board, although I could see Santana winning again if the Twins make the playoffs.

AL MVP: Justin Morneau - again, assuming the Twins get into the playoffs. Ortiz or Dye if they don't.

NL ROY: Scott Olsen - Very good numbers after a rough month early on. His emergence makes Willis expendable

NL Cy Young: Aaron Harang - semi-dream, but if he posts a good final two months and the Reds get into the playoffs it will be hard to argue with it. (Brandon Webb the more conservative pick)

NL MVP: Carlos Beltran - finally becoming the all around force everyone had him pegged as 4 years ago.

Matt700wlw
07-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Homer Bailey will be ROY, MVP, and the Cy Young winner all at once.

:D

He's the Chris Denorfia of pitchers.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2006, 01:10 AM
)

NL MVP: Carlos Beltran - finally becoming the all around force everyone had him pegged as 4 years ago.

Ah, but unfortunately, the NY media (and ESPN) have made it their mission to promote David Wright as the MVP. Makes sense, I guess -- tout the home-grown prospect instead of the free agent who was a disappointment last season.

But Beltran is indeed better than Wright this year.

nmculbreth
07-28-2006, 01:35 AM
AL ROY: Liriano or Papelbon. I think Liriano is a much more deserving of the award but Papelbon will get extra consideration since he plays in Boston.
NL ROY: Ryan Zimmerman

AL CY: Santana
NL CY: Carpenter

AL MVP: Ortiz. I know some aren't too keen on giving the award to a DH but I think he is head and shoulders above the rest of the AL MVP options.
NL MVP: Pujols