PDA

View Full Version : Stud Cuban infielder Yuliesky Gourriel defects?!

Blue
07-28-2006, 06:23 PM
I was over at John Sickel's minorleagueball.com and there is a diary posted with an article that claims Cuba's stud second baseman from the World Baseball Classic has defected!

The kid is 21 years old. His WBC line was .273/.342/.515 in just 33 ABs.

Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/story/2006/7/28/16914/7801

Here is the link to the article cited in the thread:

http://www.elnacional.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=59855

Discuss this potentially BIG NEWS! This guy would be an exciting player to watch!

Here is a link to a BA article about Gourriel from the WBC:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/060302wbccuba3b.html

Also, Will Carrol talks about him a little bit here:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=5355

He quotes a scout as saying "He's the biggest Cuban ever." Which is pretty high praise, considering that Cuban Tony Perez is in the Hall of Fame.

UPDATE: False alarm. Cancel your Gourriel Mets jerseys. The rumor was not true.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2006/07/yuliesky_gourri.html#comments

Shaknb8k
07-28-2006, 06:27 PM
OHHHHHHH my.....reds dont have a chance to get him but man that is awsome. Hes going to be awsome. Great news for the sport of baseball.

oneupper
07-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Yankees/mets/sox just got themselves a second baseman...

Paret isn't bad either.

Blue
07-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Anyone know when the next CBA has to be worked out? It would be great if there was an international player draft in the near future.

Blue
07-28-2006, 11:26 PM
I updated the top post with links to some more information on Gourriel.

LoganBuck
07-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Gourriel is awesome. He looks like he has Gary Sheffield's bat speed.

cincyinco
07-29-2006, 05:15 AM
Why can't the Reds be players?

Its a new day in Cincinnati, and we have new ownership who wants to win. We need a middle infielder going into next year. We have ROOTS in Cuba. I believe I read an article where quite a bit of Cuban's are Reds fans. They have a lot of love for our team there. We're not the big stage like NY - but damn, would be nice if Cast, Krivs, and Co made a huge statement in baseball and could convince this guy to play and be a fixture for the Reds for years.

reds1869
07-29-2006, 09:02 AM
Why can't the Reds be players?

Its a new day in Cincinnati, and we have new ownership who wants to win. We need a middle infielder going into next year. We have ROOTS in Cuba. I believe I read an article where quite a bit of Cuban's are Reds fans. They have a lot of love for our team there. We're not the big stage like NY - but damn, would be nice if Cast, Krivs, and Co made a huge statement in baseball and could convince this guy to play and be a fixture for the Reds for years.

You are correct about our roots and the fact that there are a lot of Reds fans on the island. The problem with getting Cuban defectors to come here is culture shock. There are large Cuban and various latin communities in the northeast where a Cuban can feel at home. That is simply not the case here. Top that off with the fact that NY/BOS have more money to throw around and you'll see why we can't be players.

cincyinco
07-29-2006, 01:05 PM
You are correct about our roots and the fact that there are a lot of Reds fans on the island. The problem with getting Cuban defectors to come here is culture shock. There are large Cuban and various latin communities in the northeast where a Cuban can feel at home. That is simply not the case here. Top that off with the fact that NY/BOS have more money to throw around and you'll see why we can't be players.

I understand about the culture shock part - but its not like we dont have a fairly good latin presence, despite our inability to pony up cash for the talent there.

I bolded the part I question. I am hoping we are still not stuck in "lindner" mode - I'd like to think RCast will bring some bucks to the playing table, especially if its to get an elite talent. Gourriel apparently fits that bill.

If we ever want to attract ANY big name talent, we're going to have to overpay. Its just the facts. Look at Detroit. Everyone called them crazy for ponying up for Pudge and Maggz, etc. They're winning, and there is excitement in Detroit again. They've done a good job over there. It starts with the product on the field, supplimented by the minors. And IMO, Krivsky and CO know that. So make a friggin splash. Go beat the big boys at their game. Land this kid and make some headlines, even if it costs you several more million than it would the NY guys.

Ltlabner
07-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Everyone called them crazy for ponying up for Pudge and Maggz, etc. They're winning, and there is excitement in Detroit again.

So they spent a lot of capital, got players in to help them win, and that has lead to excitiment over the team in Detroit? That's crazy talk! ;)

cincyinco
07-29-2006, 01:54 PM
So they spent a lot of capital, got players in to help them win, and that has lead to excitiment over the team in Detroit? That's crazy talk! ;)

The Anti Dan O'Brien approach.. :P

The sad thing is(for non tigers fans) is they got a helluva good, young, pitching staff - ESPECIALLY if they can sign Andrew Miller.

Zumaya, Verlander, Bonderman, and Miller? And who's this Zach Minor guy? Humberto Sanchez is lighting it up in the minors. Jair Jurgens, and more. ILL.

dsmith421
07-29-2006, 02:17 PM
It's a potentially high-risk, high-expense move (see Hideki Irabu, Chan Ho Park), but signing established stars from other countries is one market inefficiency I think the Reds could position themselves to exploit. I suspect there are 15-20 guys in the Japanese leagues who could be MLB regulars, at least as many in Cuba and Central America, and not all of them are as prohibitively expensive as an Ichiro or Johjima.

Outshined_One
07-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Isn't that Korean slugger who offensively went nuts at the WBC available this offseason as well?

Blue
08-01-2006, 12:55 AM
updated for the final time, 8/1/06

Chip R
08-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Usually you have to add on a few years for Cuban players. If the article says the guy is 21 he's probably really 25. That would be good news for us since there's no way Narron would play him if he were only 21. ;)

Heath
08-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Do it now, while Castro's having 'issues'.