PDA

View Full Version : Who is Brandon Watson?

TOBTTReds
07-29-2006, 02:02 AM
He is on our 40 man right now and played for Washington at one point this year. Who is he and how did we get him?

TOBTTReds
07-29-2006, 02:05 AM
Looks like he was just a FA signee during the year? Ironic, he was sent to the minors when WAS called up Brendon Harris, now of the Reds org too.

Razor Shines
07-29-2006, 02:06 AM
I think he was DFA'd by washington and we picked him up.

Daniels_Parker
07-29-2006, 04:38 AM
Picked up from Washington off waivers a few days after the big trade. Also he is the godson of Eric the Red, Eric Davis.

jmcclain19
07-29-2006, 06:14 AM
He was the Nationals opening day Centerfielder

Somehow, and I don't know all the details, he fell out of favor with Frank Robinson and they cut him loose.

He's a slap style judy hitter who really isn't hitting and has never shown any real plate discipline. I wouldn't count on him for much of anything.

TOBTTReds
07-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Picked up from Washington off waivers a few days after the big trade. Also he is the godson of Eric the Red, Eric Davis.

Oh yeah, I heard about this.

Gallen5862
07-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:39 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/cin/y2006/m07/d30/c1583650.jsp
Notes: Watson promoted from Triple-A
07/30/2006 2:40 PM ET
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- Outfielder Brandon Watson had bloodshot eyes and the look of someone that hardly slept a wink.
That was because he hadn't. The Reds told Watson late Saturday night he was being promoted from Triple-A Louisville. He arrived in the clubhouse Sunday morning in time for the club's game against the Brewers.

"It's been a work in progress," Watson said. "I was already back at the apartment. One of the guys had to take me back to the field and pack everything and then go back to the apartment to pack my little luggage, sleep for a couple of hours and get on a plane."

No complaints, however.

"In the end, that's what it's all about, being back up here," Watson said. "I'm excited for the opportunity. We'll see what happens."

Cincinnati claimed Watson off waivers from the Nationals on July 14. He was Washington's Opening Day center fielder but was sent down in April. The speedy 24-year-old was a .304 career hitter with 167 steals in 769 Minor League games but has batted .176 in 34 big-league games over parts of the last two seasons.

"When you get a shot, you just have to cash in. That's all," Watson said. "I'm going to come here and start all over from scratch."

Reds manager Jerry Narron planned to use Watson off the bench as a pinch-runner, late defensive replacement or early game pinch-hitter.

"He's supposed to be able to run," Narron said. "He's supposed to be a good outfielder. He's primarily a center fielder but I think he can play the corners. He's put up real good numbers in the Minor Leagues but never has gotten a chance to play regularly in the Major Leagues."

Watson is also the godson of former Reds star center fielder Eric Davis. His father, Sam, used to be Davis' youth basketball coach in Los Angeles.

"My father kind of had a part in raising him," Watson said. "(Davis') brother always came and used to tell my Dad about his younger brother and they kind of connected through that and are good friends for the rest of their lives."

Taking the fifth? The Reds will be paying close attention to Brandon Claussen's rehabilitation assignment start on Monday at Triple-A Louisville. The club, which optioned Justin Germano to the Bats after his spot start Saturday night, will need a fifth starter again on Saturday.

That would put Claussen on line to start on his normal days' rest. The lefty has been on the disabled list since mid-June with shoulder tendinitis and endured a back strain recently.

"We'll see how he feels and how he does and evaluate him," Narron said.

Suggestion box: Sunday marked the 19th and final time the Reds and Brewers played each other this season. In the quirks of contemporary scheduling, the Reds have yet to play the Dodgers, Padres or Giants once this season.

Narron wouldn't mind some tweaking to the schedule.

"It's easy for me to say but you should play everybody in your league nine times," Narron said. "And you play within your division more. Somebody smarter than me can figure it out but that would be a good starting point ... when you play each other 19 times, that's a little bit too much."

Heat rising: The air conditioning has been broken all weekend at the Reds' hotel, which was particularly unfortunate this weekend. Local temperatures have been in the 90s and muggy.

Ken Griffey Jr.'s watch has thermometer readouts. While sweating it out on on the hotel's 22nd floor Saturday night, Griffey watched the temperature in his room rise from 85 to 94 degrees.

"I took a picture of it in case no one believed me," Griffey said. "You know it's hot when the devil asks you for a glass of water."

Coming up: The Reds finally see the Dodgers when they open a three-game series Tuesday at 7:10 p.m. ET at Great American Ball Park. Bronson Arroyo (9-7, 3.20) will start for Cincinnati against Aaron Sele (6-4, 3.79).

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

KySteveH
07-31-2006, 01:19 AM
You know, if I had to sleep in a hotel room at 94 degrees, I'd check in to the Red Roof down the street.

Jpup
07-31-2006, 01:24 AM
I had forgot that Watson was EDs godson, I like him more now. :D

As for the AC, I think the Brew crew set that one up. ;) I wouldn't have put up with it and went somewhere else.

Johnny Footstool
07-31-2006, 01:32 AM
"He's supposed to be able to run," Narron said. "He's supposed to be a good outfielder. He's primarily a center fielder but I think he can play the corners. He's put up real good numbers in the Minor Leagues but never has gotten a chance to play regularly in the Major Leagues."

The manager only knows this guy on the level of "he's supposed to be able to do this and that"? I find that troubling.

Narron inserted Watson as a pinch-runner for Encarnacion in today's game. How did he know Watson was faster or a better baserunner than Edwin?

Redhook
07-31-2006, 06:38 AM
The manager only knows this guy on the level of "he's supposed to be able to do this and that"? I find that troubling.

Narron inserted Watson as a pinch-runner for Encarnacion in today's game. How did he know Watson was faster or a better baserunner than Edwin?

His gut instinct told him.

;)

2001MUgrad
07-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Hmmm,

It seems like the Reds are having a tough time finding that professional pinch hitter. First MacCraken, then wise, and now him. Why is Jacob Cruz not around anymore?

osuceltic
07-31-2006, 08:56 AM
Hmmm,

It seems like the Reds are having a tough time finding that professional pinch hitter. First MacCraken, then wise, and now him. Why is Jacob Cruz not around anymore?
The Reds actually have some of the best pinch hitting statistics in the league, but the still could use another bat off the bench. Couldn't everyone?

dabvu2498
07-31-2006, 08:57 AM

Scouting, maybe... just a guess. ;)

We still have some of those scout-type people, don't we??? ;)

puca
07-31-2006, 09:14 AM

That is a "cover my ass" way of talking about a player. Narron is making it clear that he knows nothing about Watson and that it is not his choice to have him on the roster. If I'm Wayne, I take offense to that quote. Even if Narron doesn't know Watson, he can take the "supposed to be able to" out and make it sound a whole lot better.

IslandRed
07-31-2006, 09:28 AM
I didn't see the quote as a problem, really. It translates to "I've never seen the guy play so I'm going by what I've heard about him."

Johnny Footstool
07-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Scouting, maybe... just a guess. ;)

We still have some of those scout-type people, don't we??? ;)

Seems like Narron wouldn't have said "supposed to be" if the scouts told him something definite.

I do agree that Narron probably doesn't like Watson being on the big league roster. Watson's not a Proven Veteran.