PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listening

wojo1025
07-31-2006, 04:15 PM
To marty right now on 1530? He is lighting up Felipe Lopez!

dieselman44
07-31-2006, 06:02 PM
what did he say about him

Willy
07-31-2006, 06:06 PM
Anything worth mentioning from the press conference?

NastyBoy
07-31-2006, 06:08 PM
what did he say about him

The reds would never make it to the worlds series with lopez as the shortstop.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2006, 06:09 PM

Nor will they even sniff the World Series, or possibily the playoffs, with the crap they are playing at SS right now(Clayton/Castro).

REDREAD
07-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Lopez has always been in Marty's doghouse, with the exception of about 4 weeks last year when Lopez was really hitting hot.

As soon as the Reds picked up Castro again, you knew Marty would want Lopez out of town :lol:

NastyBoy
07-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Nor will they even sniff the World Series, or possibily the playoffs, with the crap they are playing at SS right now(Clayton/Castro).

At least Clayton and Castro have a clue as to what to do with a ball.

SteelSD
07-31-2006, 06:18 PM

Yeah...watch it roll on by.

Chip R
07-31-2006, 06:21 PM

That is about when I started listening. I think he said that not just the Reds but no team will make it to the playoffs with FeLo as their SS. He said he does not make the routine play and has brain cramps. He also said that he really likes Clayton and would not care if he hit .170. He thinks EE sits because Aurilia has that veteran presence needed down the stretch and EE does not. Well, that and the error problem. But Marty said that if EE can fix that problem he will be a force but he sees him eventually moving to 1st.

NastyBoy
07-31-2006, 06:22 PM
That is about when I started listening. I think he said that not just the Reds but no team will make it to the playoffs with FeLo as their SS. He said he does not make the routine play and has brain cramps. He also said that he really likes Clayton and would not care if he hit .170. He thinks EE sits because Aurilia has that veteran presence needed down the stretch and EE does not. Well, that and the error problem. But Marty said that if EE can fix that problem he will be a force but he sees him eventually moving to 1st.

That is a better summary... :beerme:

REDREAD
07-31-2006, 06:24 PM
Yeah, Marty has been beating the "EdE to 1st base" drum all season.
Frankly, I think that's a crazy idea. EdE's defense isn't that bad, and there's hope for improvement.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2006, 06:28 PM

Yeah, Clayton's statueesque range and three errors since the trade sure are an improvement over Lopez.

vic715
07-31-2006, 06:31 PM
Yeah, Marty has been beating the "EdE to 1st base" drum all season.
Frankly, I think that's a crazy idea. EdE's defense isn't that bad, and there's hope for improvement.
No his defense is not all that bad but I do like the idea of moving him to 1st.I think he'd be a good defensive 1st baseman and the less pressure of playing 3rd will make him an even better hitter. It worked for Tony Perez.

blumj
07-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Stranger things have happened. You remember who the starting SS was for the D-Backs when they won the WS in '01?

Always Red
07-31-2006, 06:36 PM
No his defense is not all that bad but I do like the idea of moving him to 1st.I think he'd be a good defensive 1st baseman and the less pressure of playing 3rd will make him an even better hitter. It worked for Tony Perez.
exactly!

Falls City Beer
07-31-2006, 06:38 PM
Stranger things have happened. You remember who the starting SS was for the D-Backs when they won the WS in '01?

And their two top starters were? (Here's a hint: the two best starters at a top of a rotation that I've seen in all my years of watching baseball)

Always Red
07-31-2006, 06:43 PM
And their two top starters were? (Here's a hint: the two best starters at a top of a rotation that I've seen in all my years of watching baseball)
McClain and Lolich?

Falls City Beer
07-31-2006, 06:45 PM
McClain and Lolich?

McClain and Lolich were pitching before my conscious awareness of baseball.

Always Red
07-31-2006, 06:46 PM
just kidding- Schilling and Johnson were incredible that year, especially in the series.

And Tony "Wo-is-me" was the SS;)

TeamBoone
07-31-2006, 06:52 PM
I take anything Marty says with a grain of salt, especially his opinions on ball players... more often than not, he allows personal opinion (usually dislike) outweigh fact (or lack thereof).

SeeinRed
07-31-2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah...watch it roll on by.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/041025/041025_buckner_hmed_12p.hmedium.jpg

Somebody would like to stop by to say hi. Apparently, he doesn't think the "watch it roll on by" technique works in the world series. Don't know where he gets his information though.:D

westofyou
07-31-2006, 06:58 PM
McClain and Lolich were pitching before my conscious awareness of baseball.
You would have thought Mickey was fat, everyone else did.

He was my favorite pitcher as a kid, 4 straight years of 300 IP, 6 of 270 plus, 52 complete games in 72 and 71.

The Tigers dumped McLain to the Senators for the left side of their infield and their number 2 starter... a great trade.

reds44
07-31-2006, 06:58 PM
I had it on and it was completely claseless by Marty. Lance asked a question if they can afford to keep Clayton in the lineup over Edwin (didn't even mention Felipe) and Marty went off on Felipe. He then went on to say they can play Clayton over Edwin because he makes the routine play. Little does Marty know that Royce has made something like 15 errors already this year. He said Clayton is a headsy player, but I have counted at least 2 mental mistakes already by Royce. He said Edwin will end up being a 1st baseman.

Marty needs to realize Edwin has all the tools to be a great defensive 3rd baseman and just needs to work on his throwing mechanics.

I say stick Rich at SS. Between Phillips and Edwin's insane range at 3B and 2B you can somewhat mask Rich's lack of range at SS.

westofyou
07-31-2006, 06:59 PM
I say stick Rich at SS. Between Phillips and Edwin's insane range at 3B and 2B you can somewhat mask Rich's lack of range at SS.

Brooks Robinson and Roberto Alomar in their prime couldn't mask that.

jimbo
07-31-2006, 07:05 PM
Marty know that Royce has made something like 15 errors already this year.

Clayton has 14 errors in 415 total chances and a fielding percentagte of .966
EE has 15 errors in 155 total chances and a fielding percentage of .944.

I know, I know, but EE has that "insane range."

reds44
07-31-2006, 07:07 PM
Clayton has 14 errors in 415 total chances and a fielding percentagte of .966
EE has 15 errors in 155 total chances and a fielding percentage of .944.

I know, I know, but EE has that "insane range."
Right now Clayton is better defensively, I am not debating that.

The offense isn't even close though. I hope you don't think Royce is a better player then Edwin.

Dunn is a terrible defender, should we start Denorfia over him?

No.

TeamBoone
07-31-2006, 07:14 PM

The offense isn't even close though. I hope you don't think Royce is a better player then Edwin.

No.

Dunn may be less than average (maybe), but he is by no means "terrible".

SeeinRed
07-31-2006, 07:21 PM

No.

The two situations are not comparable at all. Left field is a offensive position. SS has become more of a balance of the two, but I still considere SS a defensive position, especially since they are considered the leaders of the infield. I'll take the defense at SS, especially when you aren't really lacking offense from other positions.

reds44
07-31-2006, 07:24 PM
The two situations are not comparable at all. Left field is a offensive position. SS has become more of a balance of the two, but I still considere SS a defensive position, especially since they are considered the leaders of the infield. I'll take the defense at SS, especially when you aren't really lacking offense from other positions.
Edwin plays 3rd base.

TOBTTReds
07-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Royce Clayton is not as good as the media thinks. Bad range, poor arm, and even if you don't include the errors, just watch him miss balls under his glove and off of them. Everyone thinks of players as when they were best. Like Aurilia, Clayton, and Griffey just from our team.

I never trust the media's analysis of a player, only what they find out from others. I love Marty as a PBP guy on radio, but I think he would be a terrible manager. Just watching the game for 30 years doesn't mean you understand it. As someone else mentioned, their wife watches a lot of "Grey's Anatomy" doesn't mean she should be operating on people.

vic715
07-31-2006, 07:39 PM
I wish the Reds would have made a run at Lugo.I'm sure that they could have gotten it done. The Dodgers gave them nothing of great value to get him.Wouldv'e made a great no.2 guy in the batting order.

jack mckeon
07-31-2006, 07:43 PM
I remember the beginning of this season Marty was talking during the 2nd inning (i think it was with fay) about how scary it will be when Felipe "scratches his potential." He also commented that "no one takes the ball to the opposite way better than him." It seems ever since trader jim left Felipe rubbed some people the wrong way either with work ethic or lack of focus, and now EE has taken Felipe's spot as the proverbial whipping boy.

jimbo
07-31-2006, 07:43 PM

No.

At this point, I think Krivsky has demonstrated that this team is going in the direction of being defensive and pitching oriented.

Dunn is a mediocre defender, but he more than makes up for it with his bat. This is what? His fourth season hitting 40+ home runs, 100+ rbis, and 100+ runs scored. If EE was a proven veteran putting up those kind of numbers on a yearly basis he would be playing everyday. I don't think you can compare the two situations. EE's time will come and I'm pretty confident he will be an All-Star someday, he just has a lot of work to do yet with his defense.

SeeinRed
07-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Edwin plays 3rd base.

That he does.... WOW.... Sorry, for some reason I had it stuck in my head that this was a discussion about the FeLo trade... In that case, I agree with you reds44. I'd take EE over Clayton too. But I still don't think he has won his job back from RA. His defense is clearly not up to the level the Reds want it to be, and RA is producing. IMHO EE cannot win back the position on offense alone.

reds44
07-31-2006, 08:04 PM
That he does.... WOW.... Sorry, for some reason I had it stuck in my head that this was a discussion about the FeLo trade... In that case, I agree with you reds44. I'd take EE over Clayton too. But I still don't think he has won his job back from RA. His defense is clearly not up to the level the Reds want it to be, and RA is producing. IMHO EE cannot win back the position on offense alone.
Well he has made 0 errors since the ASB and made a game saving play in Milwaukee.

He also has hit safely in like 9 of his 10 games.

What more does he have to do?

vermilion
07-31-2006, 08:06 PM
He has to bring some more 'veteran presence' to the lineup. Driving in runs, that's all well and good, but anyone can tell you that it's 'veteran presence' that wins ball games.

:p

SeeinRed
07-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Well he has made 0 errors since the ASB and made a game saving play in Milwaukee.

He also has hit safely in like 9 of his 10 games.

What more does he have to do?

Keep it up for a longer stretch. Consistency is the key, not the streaks.

Redhook
07-31-2006, 09:19 PM

I think EE would be a good 1st baseman too, but I also think it's a awful, awful idea for a couple of reasons. First, where would Votto play? He's legit and will probably be up here late next year and to start in 2008. Second, who will be our 3rd baseman in the future? We don't have any other good 3rd base prospects. Herr, some may say. Not so much. He makes EE look like Scott Rolen at 3rd. EE will become a good 3rd baseman. He's young, talented, has a great attitude, and has shown a strong desire to get better. I like EE alot, wish I could watch him more often. He just needs to play. Too bad Narrooon doesn't understand that.

Wheelhouse
07-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Dunn may be less than average (maybe), but he is by no means "terrible".

Ack. Much as I don't like saying it, cause he's got such awesome power and plate discipline, Adam Dunn is the worst fielder in the league. Hands down.

Redhook
07-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Ack. Much as I don't like saying it, cause he's got such awesome power and plate discipline, Adam Dunn is the worst fielder in the league. Hands down.

Exactly. Especially now that Carlos Lee is in the AL.

Personally, Dunn's defense doesn't bother me that much. Yes, it's pretty bad, but it doesn't hurt the team much, and his offense makes up for it easily. I bet he only costs us a few runs a year with his defense. Also, I think he will, but I hope he does stay in left field. We can overcome his errors in left, but putting him at first could be a potential disaster. He doesn't need to touch the ball that many times in a game. I'm happy with his bat and his glove staying in left field.

Willy
07-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Why not rotate EE in right to get him some ABs while he continues to work on his D at third. He should still play a couple times a week at third, but to get his bat in the lineup, stick him in right a couple games a week.

wojo1025
07-31-2006, 10:22 PM
Marty also went on a rant saying he couldn't understand why Reds fans were so upset with that trade. He kept saying things like: why would you want to keep a guy around that you are going to have to overpay in the offseason to keep. It just doesn't make sense. This guy is going to get a bigger contract than he should and Reds fans should be happy to be rid of him.

He was really questioning the Reds fans and their emotions towards these trades. He brought up Maj. He said something along the lines of: the other night when Maj came in and gave up back to back hits and Jerry immediately took him out and brought in Coffey, two months ago what would the Reds have done in that situation? Who would they have turned to? Wayne has turned the biggest weakness on this team into a big asset.

That's the rest of his interview/phone call