PDA

View Full Version : How many games will the Bengals win this year?

max venable
08-02-2006, 09:58 AM
I know most Bengals fans are counting on a 12-win season and a Superbowl appearance. But I'm ready to pull a Lee Corso--not-so-fast-my-friend...

I'm a huge Bengals fan but I just don't see it. Have you looked at the schedule? It's brutal. I mean brutal. I think they'll be doing well to win 9 games this year. And, by the way, I think 9 wins should be able to get them a wildcard spot.

They'll be able to score, as long as everything's okay with Carson. I just think that the schedule is going to really hurt them--they face a solid, contending team nearly every week this year. Your thoughts?

redsfan30
08-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Truer words have never been spoken. That schedule is scary hard. But if Carson comes back healthy the offense won't skip a beat. The rush defense still won't be great, but Sam Adams will go a long way to shoring that up and Dexter Jackson has been a very underrated move. He's good.

I pick 10, but could easily see them winning less than that.

This has the potential to be one of years where you're better than you were the year before, but you lose more games.

Yachtzee
08-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Of course, for all the talk that the Bengals have a hard schedule because of some of the teams on it, those teams' schedules have gotten a bit harder with the Bengals on it.

Look at it this way. Every season, some teams that everyone thought were good will fall down a few notches and miss the playoffs. Some teams who nobody has given a shot will surprise and snatch one of those playoff spots. The question is whether the Bengals will be one of those teams that continues to excel or will it take a few steps back? Imagine what would happen to Pittsburgh if Roethlesburger and Polamalu suffer major injuries.

I think the Bengals will do well because they have a lot of young talent on the team, which is now young talent with big game experience. By winning in Pittsburgh last year, they showed everyone that they can go on the road and win a big one in a hostile environment. They have a top-notch offense and a young defense that has added some key veterans, and once they start playing football, all those off-the-field issues will fall into the background (Well, until Henry does something stupid again).

Hoosier Red
08-02-2006, 10:36 AM
People thought the schedule last year was going to be tough:

Minnesota, Baltimore and Green Bay were supposed to be better.
Jacksonville went to the playoffs.
Kansas City was a difficult game even if they were playing for something.
We always seemed to have trouble with Tennessee.
We played the Colts.(As we do again this year.)

Ya never know, for one I don't think the NFC South is going to be all that this year.

ChaseReds
08-02-2006, 10:58 AM
"This is going to be the toughest schedule we've had to face in years"- Fans, 2005

enough said.

Reds Fanatic
08-02-2006, 11:02 AM
I picked 9 just because of how tough the schedule is. A lot also depends on how quickly Carson can come back. Some say he will back the beginning of the year and I also heard rumors he could be out until October. He is going to try to play in the last 2 preseason games and that will probably determine if he can start the year. If he has to miss any length of time the Bengals are in trouble because I don't have a lot of confidence in any of the backups.

BuckWoody
08-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I went with 10. It all hinges on how soon Carson will be under center. I'm still not sold on the expectation that he'll be there September 10. When he's in there, that offense is scary good.

I look for the defense to be much improved; there is certainly plenty of room for that to happen. They'll have two new safeties in Jackson and a healthy Madieu, that will be a vast improvement over last season and let KK move into a backup role that he's more suited to. Adams will help with the run when he's in there and help keep the blockers off of the linebackers. Thurman's stupidity will hurt but I like the veteran Simmons in the middle...at least he won't make the rookie mistakes and this will keep him out of pass coverage more which I feel is the weakest part of his game. It'd be sweet to see Brooks be this year's Odell...but that's not something you can count on. The one guy on defense that I don't hear people talk about much is Pollack. The guy's a beast and I look for him to have a great season.

If Carson doesn't miss much, if any, time and the defense can improve enough to be in the top half of the league statistically, the Bengals have as good a chance as anyone to bring one home.

KronoRed
08-02-2006, 04:09 PM

But take heart Bengal fans, last year I said 4 ;)

BuckWoody
08-02-2006, 04:15 PM

But take heart Bengal fans, last year I said 4 ;)
So if form holds, they should win 15. Nice. :)

CTA513
08-02-2006, 05:05 PM
16 games.

Bengals offense scores about 49+ points a game and the defense gives up 0 points the whole season.

:eek:

:p:

Cyclone792
08-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Mark it 8, Dude.

Gimme the marker, Dude, I'm markin' it 8!

CougarQuest
08-02-2006, 09:18 PM
With this offense and now the safties, CB's, and LB's, the BENGALS will be Super Bowl Champs. This team is scary good.

Heath
08-03-2006, 12:03 AM
I voted 7 or less.

But I am a Browns fan :D

Tornon
08-03-2006, 01:31 AM
I voted 7 or less.

But I am a Browns fan :D

I'm afraid I had to do the same for similar reasons

cumberlandreds
08-03-2006, 08:34 AM
First off I'm not a Bengals fan so I am not biased. But I think it will be seven or less. Too many off the field distractions plus too many question marks about the health of Palmer.

Heath
08-03-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm afraid I had to do the same for similar reasons

We're multiplying around here.....

Go Brownies -

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/Football/NFL/CLE-B_4614.gif

cincy09
08-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Just like any other year it hinges on Defense and QB play
Carson must be ready to go, and they have to at least slow down the run.
Getting a million turnoverd like last season would help too!

KronoRed
08-03-2006, 02:54 PM
We're multiplying around here.....

Like mold? :devil:

redsfanmia
08-03-2006, 03:56 PM
6 or 7 at the most, the schedule is brutal and all the off field problems wont help either.

Reds4Life
08-03-2006, 05:45 PM

The schedule, as mentioned, and I don't believe Carson is going to be healthy.

camisadelgolf
08-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I don't know how many they'll win, but they'll win more than Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Baltimore.

Danny Serafini
08-07-2006, 01:36 PM
14: 10 regular season, 4 playoff

SeeinRed
08-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Just as long as they win more than the Patriots and the team the I loathe because of their recent success and poster boy Peyton Manning, the Colts. I am so jealous of the Colts that I have turned to hating them. Much like many baseball fans loathe the Yankees. Is it wrong that it made me feel warm inside when the Edge left Indy? I don't know why, but I want to hit my head on the wall continuously ever time i hear Manning talk. When ever he starts talking, the way he sounds humble makes me sick. It feels sarcastic to me. I have a theory that he talks in the third person when off camera. Anyway, as for my answer to the poll... All of them!:thumbup:

*DISCLAIMER- I know that there are probably some Indy fans I just angered, so let me apologize to them.... I'm Sorry. There, that should cover it.

redsfanmia
08-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Just as long as they win more than the Patriots and the team the I loathe because of their recent success and poster boy Peyton Manning, the Colts. I am so jealous of the Colts that I have turned to hating them. Much like many baseball fans loathe the Yankees. Is it wrong that it made me feel warm inside when the Edge left Indy? I don't know why, but I want to hit my head on the wall continuously ever time i hear Manning talk. When ever he starts talking, the way he sounds humble makes me sick. It feels sarcastic to me. I have a theory that he talks in the third person when off camera. Anyway, as for my answer to the poll... All of them!:thumbup:

*DISCLAIMER- I know that there are probably some Indy fans I just angered, so let me apologize to them.... I'm Sorry. There, that should cover it.
Why hate the Colts? They have good guys and honestly havent won anything and probably will not win anything as along as Tony Dungy is the coach. I am a Colts fan by the way.

RedsFanatic
08-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Super bowl champs.

Adding Sam Adams is huge, along with having Madieu back (a pro bowler this year). Plus Jackson, that is miles better than Kaesivarn and Ohehateme.

Pollack will be much better as he will have a full training camp. Robinson shifts over to DE to improve the run d and Geathers loses weight so he can get back to his rookie form.

Brooks will make us forget all about Odell. Brooks was my favorite player in college so I have seen him play many times, I haven't seen a more talented linebacker in the last 5 years at the college level.

We are loaded at cornerback with Deltha, James, Ratliff and Joseph as the dime back.

The offense will be unstoppable again this year, Rudi is in the best shape of his life and Chad has bulked up. Carson will be ready day one. They will go to exclusivly 3 wide sets to get Henry on the field, the next Randy Moss.

Add it all up and you have the best team in the NFL.

max venable
08-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Super bowl champs.

Adding Sam Adams is huge, along with having Madieu back (a pro bowler this year). Plus Jackson, that is miles better than Kaesivarn and Ohehateme.

Pollack will be much better as he will have a full training camp. Robinson shifts over to DE to improve the run d and Geathers loses weight so he can get back to his rookie form.

Brooks will make us forget all about Odell. Brooks was my favorite player in college so I have seen him play many times, I haven't seen a more talented linebacker in the last 5 years at the college level.

We are loaded at cornerback with Deltha, James, Ratliff and Joseph as the dime back.

The offense will be unstoppable again this year, Rudi is in the best shape of his life and Chad has bulked up. Carson will be ready day one. They will go to exclusivly 3 wide sets to get Henry on the field, the next Randy Moss.

Add it all up and you have the best team in the NFL.I like the way you think! :thumbup:

max venable
09-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Anybody want to change their prediction yet?

Who-Dey!

http://www.urbana.edu/athletics/football/Bengals_logo.jpg

Dom Heffner
09-30-2006, 08:00 PM
That tiger logo is so much better than the "B."

I hate that thing, though the crazy jersey has grown on me. I wore one out a few weeks back and a complete stranger said to me, "That jersey is obnoxious."

They look much better on some of the players than others. White dudes have a hard time making the white ones look good.

The alternate orange version is terrific.

Matt700wlw
09-30-2006, 08:15 PM
How we lookin'?

:D

SeeinRed
09-30-2006, 08:20 PM

Who-Dey!

Nope, my all of them prediction is looking pretty good.:cool:

OldRightHander
09-30-2006, 09:47 PM

Who-Dey!

Since I picked 11 or more, I don't think I'll change it one bit.

max venable
10-16-2006, 10:47 PM
bump. Anybody thinking differently yet?

RedsFanatic
10-16-2006, 10:54 PM
One word. Injuries.

OldRightHander
10-16-2006, 11:00 PM
One word. Injuries.

Injuries and immature behavior, but I'd say that the injuries have had more of an impact.

macro
10-17-2006, 01:15 AM
They'll do well to finish 9-7, which is where I put them before Opening Day. After the win at Pittsburgh, I thought they had a great shot at 12-4 or so, but it's obvious that the game at Pittsburgh was their game of the year. They have been flat ever since. When they wake up and realize that one regular season win does not a season make, they may yet make a run, but I'm not betting on it. This team is being killed by injuries, and by its lack of mental toughness. It's disappointing. I expected more from a Marvin Lewis coached team. When does the 2007 season start?